"General Discharge" recommended for Bf-ing soldier who refused anthrax shot - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hubby found this and thought it was a "Mothering" issue, and insisted I post it, so here it is!:

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winst...220170701.html

...Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-09-2003, 12:10 PM

well, i think she was really smart to let her plan expire and make herself non-deployable, and i also think she was lucky to get a general discharge. worse things have happened when soldiers refuse vaxes, so she's better off. it's unfortunate that the army is losing people over this issue, but that's just life in the army. decisions don't always make sense. remember when they booted out a dozen or so soldiers for being gay last year? they weren't just run-of-the-mill soldiers, they were trained as arabic linguists. a rather vital job these days and one that's already in short supply.
anywho, i'm glad she refused the shot. if her COs had any sense, they would have simply waited until she weaned and then given the vaccine, but then that would be a reasonable decision. : it's not like soldiers nurse very long anyway, the most i've ever heard of a female soldier nursing was 9 months, and she was in a position of authority, not a lower-enlisted.
#3 of 8 Old 08-09-2003, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree. It is the Armys loss. I think the descission was fair. It is a tough balance being amom in the service. Probably better for her family if she has a job that doesn't control so much of her life.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 8 Old 08-09-2003, 09:13 PM

i was talking about this with my husband, and he pointed out that by making herself non-deployable and then disobeying the order to vax, she was walking a very thin line to malingering, which would have had a harsher punishment.
with a general discharge, she can appeal the decision in 6 months time and ask that it be changed to honrable.
#5 of 8 Old 08-11-2003, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is total BS! I can't believe I cleaned house this weekend just threw out a military published pamphlet about the anthrax vax. I could swear it said in there, in their very own, glossy 'trust us, it's fine' brochure that it was not tested for/ not safe for pregnant or nursing mothers. I will ask DH to see if he can bring me another on home. It has long been established that military personel have forfeited the right to advocate for their own health but their childrens health should not be included in that. It is an outrage! Busted three ranks, jailed for two weeks and drummed out of the service? Unreal! Letting her family plan expire is pretty trivial, actually and is more the fault of someone in admin who is supposed to keep them up to date than it is her.
#6 of 8 Old 08-11-2003, 10:16 PM

That really sucks. That poor woman has her career destroyed just because she's trying to safeguard her baby.

My dh had to get the anthrax vax's. His were scheduled the day our baby was born so he had to leave us and go off and get them. The military really sucks, sucks, sucks... At least he got out of the smallpox vax cause we had a newborn. But I think he has to get that vax once she's about 1.
#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elphaba
they weren't just run-of-the-mill soldiers, they were trained as arabic linguists. a rather vital job these days and one that's already in short supply.
I was stationed with one of the soldiers discharged for being gay. Although I had lost touch with him, I was so pissed to find this out. He was such a good soldier, the Army needs more people like him.

My dh and I are glad that we left the service when we did, neither of us had to get Anthrax or Smallpox or the nastier vaxes.

More on topic: a friend of mine was trying to exclusively bf her son while in the Army. Her chain of command made her go out on excercises when her baby was only two months old. And they gave her an extreemly hard time about pumping. I ended up deciding that since I needed gov't $ to pay for my household, that I could pretty much let them dictate how my child would be fed once I returned to work. So we weaned at 6 weeks and started formula. I regret that so much.
#8 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 01:59 AM

My good friend Jason is a GW vet. He called his time in the service "emotionally expensive". I would have to say that sums it up. Poor woman. I respect her for sticking to her guns about BFing. She may have saved her own life by missing deployment to Iraq.

Denny

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page