So, what kind of impact will the U.N. bombing have??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this event was a big one! The whole world knows that we have no business in Iraq. We have done nothing to make their lives better. Our impact has been a negative one. And now to have the U.N. bombed!! This just shows how awful things have gotten. Not only has our government done nothing to curtail terrorism we seem to have actually strengthened the terrorist threat by our outrageous war against the muslim world(which is how it is seen by the majority in the M.E.)

I believe Bush & Co. are heading for a big fall. I believe their foreign policies and decision making have been executed by the seat of their pants. They have never really had a concrete plan. They had the short term goal of getting Saddam, oil and control but now they are lost! They haven't got a clue!!! Anyone who can't see another Veitnam coming doesn't have their eyes open! 60 something young soldiers have lost their lives since the war "ended" not to mention innocent Iraqis. It will only get worse. We need to get the hell out of there!

Watching the mainstream news I have noticed a change. Support for this government and it's policies both foreign and domestic is starting to faulter. Military families are finally starting to ask the question "why is my family member in Iraq??? People are waking up and realizing that we have liberated a soul.

I see the U.N. bombing as another in a series of wake up calls to our government.

marg
#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 12:18 AM

I don't know..I don't see them getting out of there because the UN was bombed but more people getting sent, at least not with the admin we have now.

There are rumors that General Clark may run for President (he is a democrat) It would be nice to see someone who actually knows what the hell they are doing in regard to warfare and might actually give a crap about our soldiers and maybe this will turn out a lot differently.

I am voting democrat as I do everytime so I would like to see him run, it might be interesting to see a soldier as president, it would certainly be nice to have someone who doesn't have their head up their butt anyways.

Some people are getting ready to be moved around but I don't really know much about it.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 01:29 AM

#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 01:49 AM

I predict that the impact it will have will be...

...nothing. Whatsoever.

Was 9/11 a wakeup call to our government to ditch/reform bad foreign policy? Did our bombing Afghanistan finish the Taliban? Did the bombing of the Nigerian embassy make the US government pay more attention to the scorched-earth policy of the multinationals it tax-shelters and publically supports in their operations there?

What's so different about this bombing that makes it have any kind of impact on the US government at all?
#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE]No quotes. It's worth reading in full.[QUOTE]

Yes! You are correct! It is worth reading in full!

What a f***ing mess our country has created with our insane and neverending war!!!!!!!
#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Tigerchild,

You sound so hopeless in your posts. I hope you are wrong. Unfortunately, I know you have valid reasons for thinking this will mean nothing. I am hoping it will mean something to the millions of Americans who seem to have their heads stuck up in their arses.........
#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Banned

From today's news reports it sounds as if, at least initially, the U.S. will at least be seeking further international support and presence in Iraq, and that the U.N. will seek to increase its presence, as well (in conjunction with the U.S.). It'll likely be a fig leaf, however. Negroponte said in a BBC interview (if I remember correctly - traffic was bad at that point) that the U.S. would seek a new UN resolution authorizing further involvement in Iraq. However, he is suggesting that the resolution would be along the lines of one profferred before the first Gulf War, in which the international troops would not necessarily be under UN command, but might instead be under US command. La plus ca change...
#8 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marg of Arabia
Tigerchild,

You sound so hopeless in your posts. I hope you are wrong. Unfortunately, I know you have valid reasons for thinking this will mean nothing. I am hoping it will mean something to the millions of Americans who seem to have their heads stuck up in their arses.........
That's the problem, Marg...the ones with their heads stuck up their asses couldn't care less about the UN. Just like they still think we 'won' in Afghanistan.

The thing that really bugs me is that it's *not* hard at all to find out what's really going on. Not hard at all. I'm beginning to think that the public is so damn lazy that the reason why people in general DON'T care about what goes on (particularly terrorist activities overseas) is because it would push them to extend their empathy too far. I mean, 9/11, that's different...it's like something happening right at your feet. But something that's happening to non-Americans half a world away--that might require getting up off the couch for a minute, you know?

#9 of 9 Old 08-25-2003, 01:40 PM

Quote:
People who have their heads stuck up their arses, have them there, because they don't want to know.
It's true, it is much easier to just "trust" what your politicians are doing, then it is to educate yourself, or heaven forbid, think for yourself!

I don't know what I think about having a military man in the White House. I think that could go either way, after all there are reasons a man becomes military to begin with, no?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page