I've had enough political correctness and acceptance when it leads to this! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 08-25-2003, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When it leads to this:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003391229,00.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A VILE best-seller which praises paedophiles should be banned, protesters demanded last night.

The £6.50 book, Understanding Loved Boys and Boylovers, is a top-seller on books website Amazon.

Author David L Riegel supports sex with under-age boys."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No, no, no and no. It is not acceptable, it is not to be tolerated, and it is not a "life style choice" or "sexual orientation."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 01:10 AM

Either they've taken it down already, or this is a hoax. Neither the US nor the UK Amazon have anything by that title or by that author.

Definately worth getting upset though, if it's for real. Ick.
#3 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh it's there alright. Bring up www.amazon.com and punch in the Title. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
#4 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 02:13 AM

#5 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
They do sell them on Amazon

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#6 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 10:27 AM

(tiptoeing in very quietly) I just wanted to say that just because a book is published, it does not reflect "political correctness" or "acceptance". It reflects free speech.

Don't believe for a second that just because a book is selling is any indication that people are accepting it - I myself own books about the holocaust (my family is Jewish and most of it destroyed in the holocaust) - trust me when I say that has no reflection on "acceptance" of what happened.

Ironically, part of the reason that the Holocaust was able to happen is because the SS was actively censoring information. So it would be tragic to do the same thing with the ensuing publications.

I just want to differentiate between those of us who passionately support free speech and the notion that we then therefore support pedophilia/rape/naziism/anything else that is published that is vile. Certainly I think pedophiles should all be jailed forever with no chance of parole since I don't believe they can ever rehabilitate.

I've been to countries where they actively censor. I find it creepy - the government deciding what you can read. No thank you.
#7 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 11:27 AM

Love Beads, you beat me to it.

I wanted to ask, What does the availability of this book have to do with PC or acceptance? I cannot find the connection to either term.................

El
#8 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 11:38 AM

Lovebeads beat me too it also. And yes, BTDT in activism on this topic which if I remember correctly got quite heated.

Not going there again.
#9 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Free Speech...fine. However, why are publishers even accepting this dreck, why are books like these even getting to the shelves in the first place? I don't understand that.
Political Correctness...pedophiles are seeking to have their "sexual preferences" recognised and accepted as a legitimate alternative, just like any other sexual preference.
#10 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 03:35 PM

The reviews of this book were pretty frightening. However, I believe that books like "BabyWise" are actually more harmful.

The only people who will accept this book are the pedophiles themselves. I am so grossed out that they believe that there are acceptable and even "beneficial" man/boy sexual relationships. I am also disheartened that these people liken their fetish to adult homosexuals, calling underage boy relations "consensual." YUCK!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#11 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
eeeeeeeeeeew!

i was raised around gay people so i have no issue with sexual orientation. i also have a friend that i have known since high school who is a pedophile. he at least has the good sense not to act on it, he understands that it is not appropriate if not flat out wrong. he is a great guy but you can bet i wouldn't leave my son alone with him. and that is how i have to think of it. it enrages me that this may someday be an acceptable sexual preference.

infoispower, i see your point without you having to clarify and i totally agree with you.
#12 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by InfoisPower
Free Speech...fine. However, why are publishers even accepting this dreck, why are books like these even getting to the shelves in the first place?
My thoughts exactly. I wholeheartedly support a person's right to write this stuff and to try to sell it, even if I personally find it disgusting. Publishers have every right to print it. Booksellers have every right to sell it. But none of that makes it good or right for them to do it.

It's a shame that many, many entities put a priority on the almighty dollar over "family values."

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#13 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by InfoisPower
Free Speech...fine. However, why are publishers even accepting this dreck, why are books like these even getting to the shelves in the first place? I don't understand that.
I'm fairly sure it's self-published by the author. Desktop publishing is so easy these days, anyone can publish his own book without having to get a huge publishing house to accept it.

Quote:
Political Correctness...pedophiles are seeking to have their "sexual preferences" recognised and accepted as a legitimate alternative, just like any other sexual preference.
I agree that this creep is trying to win acceptance for pedophilia, but I really don't think the vast majority of people are going to go along, not even those who think that acceptance of those who are different from "us" is a good thing.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#14 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Self Published or not, I don't know how a distributor like Amazon can reasonably carry this book, and defend their actions in doing so. I do not understand why they just didn't turn away and say, we as booksellers will not be carrying this book. It isn't censorship just a conscious choice not to be party to disseminating it. Heaven knows there are booksellers that choose to carry only certain types of published matter.

From: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...747716,00.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the 108-page book, which has sold 150,000 copies, Mr Riegel describes paedophiles as "sincere, concerned, loving human beings" who have probably been born with "a sexual orientation neither understood nor accepted by most others".

Amazon said the book was not a child molester's "how-to", adding it had no role in censoring what it sold.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I for one will not use Amazon. They can go suck lemons.
This book is trying to normalise deviant and harmful behaviour and make pedophila seem misunderstood. Okay I gotta go barf now :Puke
#15 of 16 Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 PM

It's ok, we had a bunch of " I boycott amazon" on the last thread on this topic.
#16 of 16 Old 08-27-2003, 04:56 PM

moving this to Activism

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page