Is THIS the real reason we invaded Iraq? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2003, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surely not. However, it does become rather suspicious...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Aug27.html

Quote:
Halliburton, the company formerly headed by Vice President Cheney, has won contracts worth more than $1.7 billion under Operation Iraqi Freedom and stands to make hundreds of millions more dollars under a no-bid contract awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, according to newly available documents.
Click here!

The size and scope of the government contracts awarded to Halliburton in connection with the war in Iraq are significantly greater than was previously disclosed and demonstrate the U.S. military's increasing reliance on for-profit corporations to run its logistical operations. Independent experts estimate that as much as one-third of the monthly $3.9 billion cost of keeping U.S. troops in Iraq is going to independent contractors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2003, 10:57 PM

But it is viewed is a sweet benefit. And also for the Bechtel contracts, though not as lucrative. And taxpayers get to pay their profits.

What a bunch of slime-doggies.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:36 AM

there's no doubt in my mind that private profit is the true motive behind this war! Saw a blurb on CNN mentioning the Haliburton profits while reporting on the stock market~ no wonder the Bushies don't want a multi-national effort or UN involvement in the rebuilding~ corporate colonialism! Profiteering on a grand scale! It makes me very ashamed & all the more desperate for change

I didn't get to read the whole link, but...
Quote:
Often dressed in Army fatigues with civilian patches on their shoulders, Halliburton employees and contract personnel have become an integral part of Army life in Iraq.
This literally makes me shiver, I thought it was our brave military men & women we are supposed to be supporting? I wonder how much a Haliburton employee gets paid per hour to work in a war zone?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:40 AM

In regard to the fatigues

Halliburton often hires former military, in fact, they just offered my BIL a job.

Where were they going to send him?

Iraq. They offered him over $90,000 so I would say they pay pretty well, he is in logistics.

fortunately, he did one of these... and is staying closer to home for less $$$$. We are all excessively relieved he didn't take the job. I would hate to have BIL work for the devil.

And we were freaked out when Nestle offered him a job.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-29-2003, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Hilary, I remember the earlier news about Halliburton. The point of this article is that they're getting even more than previously thought.

And yes, it's absolutely no wonder that the U.S. has insisted so vehemently on retaining control over operations and command - and equally no wonder that no one else wants to volunteer to do the messy and expensive and dangerous clean-up work for free. The similie that comes to mind regarding the whole situation is unprintable here, but involves a gigantic, brutish gorilla and certain scatalogical functions.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:37 AM

I don't think it's the main reason we went to war. The main reason is that Jr. was itching to retaliate for Daddy's humiliation. However, it certainly was an ancillary reason.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:08 PM

"there's no doubt in my mind that private profit is the true motive behind this war! Saw a blurb on CNN mentioning the Haliburton profits while reporting on the stock market~ no wonder the Bushies don't want a multi-national effort or UN involvement in the rebuilding~ corporate colonialism! Profiteering on a grand scale! It makes me very ashamed & all the more desperate for change"

There is no doubt in my mind that Spiral Woman is one smart lady!!!!!

You are right on the money!!! Baby!! Bush was born and raised on corporate greed!!! Daddy taught him well!! Money will always come first with him and his possie!!!

His policies both domestic and foreign have been made with the intention to benefit the wealthy. It is all about GREED with shrub..

User Tag List