Who would you like to see as the next President?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't normally post in this forum...I'm abit out of my league.... But I've been thinking about this a lot.

Ashamedly I have to admit that I've never voted. Either I haven't been registered or I forget But I plan to vote this coming election and even my local elections....

Anyway, who would you like to see as the next President?

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 02:24 AM

I would be satified with Not Bush but I am trying not to start foaming at the mouth until after the primaries.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 02:57 AM

Count me in the "Not-Bush" category.

Right now, none of the Democrats impress me overmuch. I can't say that I'd rather have Al Sharpton than GW, but any of the frontrunners would do.

Normally, I tend to vote with my conscience (which tends to be towards a 3rd party candidate, though not always)...but I'm willing to sell out for this coming election.

Which is too bad, really, because it means yet another 4 years for the Democratic party to refuse to wake up and/or remain lukewarm as no doubt many normal "Indies" such as myself will do the same.

If the close election in 2000 didn't wake 'em up, almost nothing will. But I'm not willing to make my children suffer the alternative.
#4 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 03:06 AM

OH....like Kitty (hi kitty!) I tend to vote 3rd party, most often Green. I have voted for Ralph Nader in every single electino so far.

This time, I will also most likely "sell out" and go for whichever Not-Bush democrat makes it. I think under all the hype, these two parties have too much in common, but there is enough *not* in common to get bush the hell out of there.
#5 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 03:12 AM

Right now I'm supporting Howard Dean. I have been home watching CSpan & breastfeeding for 3 months now & have seen 2 debates& a healthcare presentation with all 9 candidates & campaign stops from Dean & Kerry. Dean's positions are very close to mine & he is a clear speaker, not all that equivocating people from congress do.

I really think all the candidates are interesting & have their role. I saw Carol Mosely-Braun speak & I just thought what a lovely & gentle country we would have to be to elect her. I also really like Kucinich's anger. He gets me really fired up. And Sharpton gets the roundest applause of all of them when he speaks! At the debate sponsered by the Sheetmetal Workers Union, Bill Press asked Sharpton what his goal in running for office was. Sharpton said that his Grandma always said that you can't get a donkey to do anything by being nice to it, you have to slap it~ he said that his goal is to "slap this donkey (the democratic party) all the way to the white house." It was better when he said it!
#6 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 03:55 AM

I'm in the anybody but Shrubya catagory as well but I really like Kucinich.
#7 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 06:04 AM

I like Kucinich the best so far but I am still hoping General Clark will run.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 07:41 AM

Kucinich.

And, I don't know if I can sell out and vote against my conscience..........it has been sooooo long. If Kucinich doesn't get the nod I'll probably be back in the 3rd party camp.

El
#9 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 10:17 AM

I like Dean the best of all the Democratic candidates. However, I'll vote Notbush no matter who gets the nomination.
#10 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 11:33 AM

"Anybody But Bush" pretty well describes it.

Actually, I think some of the Dem candidates are quite wonderful. Many have lots of Congressional experience and have a great understanding of how things work in the US and in Washington. Some of them have new ideas and that could open the door for new possibilities. They all seem to be moral people, although I know Carol MB has been in trouble before with finances. Dean, Kerry, and Kucinich have my attention right now. Bob Graham also understands state govt. very well. But I like Dean's fiscal conservatism, and I think he stands a good chance.

In Texas, there are "yellow dog democrats" who would vote for a yellow dog before a Republican. I'm not that radical as I have voted Republican in the past. But this isn't my old Republican Party which used to keep govt out of people's private lives, keep deficits down, etc.
#11 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 11:41 AM

Eleanor Roosevelt.
#12 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 11:43 AM

I like listening to Kucinich; he's got brains, and he seems a fearless pragmatist. He's my favorite thus far, and I'd like to see him become the next President. It makes me sad that he's not the best looking of the choices. I know that figures in, and it upsets me.

I'll vote Dem regardless, count me in among the NotBush voters.
#13 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I can't say that I'd rather have Al Sharpton than GW, but any of the frontrunners would do.

While DH & I were watching the Dem debate on PBS last week (and Sharpton couldn't make it due to transportation problems) DH *kept* saying, "but it would be so much cooler with al sharpton," "why isn't sharpton here?" etc...

Accd to the poll posted a while ago, Kucinich (how do you pronounce that again?) is most in line with my views (BTW, that *freaks* FIL out, lol). I'm pretty much behind Dean, though, logically. Honestly, ABB is who I will vote for and I will *not* vote for a 3rd party candidate. I cannot, as a matter of conscience, put Bush back in the white house.

Kay

#14 of 26 Old 09-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Banned

No way on Dean. He's for the 'gradual removal' of our people in Iraq. No! Bring them home now. I got two cousins there and it hurts.

www.bringthemhomenow.com

Kucinich for President.
#15 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TiredX2

While DH & I were watching the Dem debate on PBS last week (and Sharpton couldn't make it due to transportation problems) DH *kept* saying, "but it would be so much cooler with al sharpton," "why isn't sharpton here?" etc...
Oh, I don't doubt that Rev. Sharpton could liven the place up a bit. It's not that I dislike him, it's just that I don't really believe he'd be able to pull together a cohesive cabinet. He does not really strike me as a team player, if you know what I mean. Now, GW is able to pull together an effin' scary team, and sidesteps too well. But I think I would wince equally to have either one represent our country, just for very different reasons.

However, if Al's name is on the ticket, then so be it. I will vote for a turnip, a naked mole rat, or a sock puppet, if it means that Rumsfeld and Ashcroft would be gone gone gone.
#16 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 10:08 AM

Things aren't good when "the American people" are offering to vote for turnips, rodents or sock puppets.
#17 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'm actually leaning toward not Bush myself (gasp....just don't tell anyone )

I saw Dean a couple months back. I like what he was saying and that he wouldn't be bullied into letting the interviewer put words in his mouth. I like that he knew what he had said in previous interviews so when the reporter said, Well you said......, he was able to say No, I said......

Which might be kinda minor but I like a man who isn't afraid to back up what he has said before....kwim? But I'm not sure where he stands on other "issues"

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#18 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 01:55 PM

Location: Chester County, PA, but I'd rather run free amongst the sheep
Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerchild
Normally, I tend to vote with my conscience (which tends to be towards a 3rd party candidate, though not always)...but I'm willing to sell out for this coming election.
The sad thing is, the more people that are willing to "sell out", the less likely we are to end up with a government that actually represents us.

I've always voted my conscience in the past, which leads away from the two-party system more often than not, and I'm going to continue to do so.
#19 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 02:01 PM

Quote:
which leads away from the two-party system more often than not, and I'm going to continue to do so.
And while I totally support your right to vote your conscience, I can't have it on my conscience that I, in any way, helped put the demon shrub back in office. If it was someone like McKain running for the rebublicans, then I wouldn't be terrified of them winning, but...

kay

#20 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veggiewolf
The sad thing is, the more people that are willing to "sell out", the less likely we are to end up with a government that actually represents us.

I've always voted my conscience in the past, which leads away from the two-party system more often than not, and I'm going to continue to do so.
Bully for you! There's always room for saints/true defenders. However, I am first and foremost a pragmatist. I voted for Mr. Nader in 2000, and got Rumsfeld and Ashcroft...and obviously the Democratic Party whiners didn't get my particular message (after all, it was all Nader's fault Bush won, right? Couldn't have been Gore's spoiled brat behavior or inept campaign management, could it?).

Frankly, I am MORE worried about the burden my children will already shoulder because of this administration increasing, than trying to build up a multiple party system within the next two years. I'll go back to doing that after 2004. Too late to do so right now, IMO. I just want the man out of office. Not that it's likely to happen with an electorate that believes that Iraq was behind 9/11...but...even a cynic like me needs hope, and their ain't none with a 3rd party right now, for 2004, as far as I'm concerned.
#21 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 06:44 PM

I think those are fair statements, and I certainly can't condemn anyone for wanting ANY change at this point. After all, I'm not a shrub lover by a long shot. My problem is this: I cannot see what anyone in either of the two major parties would do differently - politicians talk a good game, but I haven't seen too many marked differences.

Maybe I'm just too jaded. :
#22 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wes Clark. I have heard a few things about him here and there and was wondering what y'alls views were on him.
#23 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 07:05 PM

#24 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 PM

Quote:
My problem is this: I cannot see what anyone in either of the two major parties would do differently
You must be seriously jaded to not see a difference between DK and Shrub!

kay

#25 of 26 Old 09-09-2003, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veggiewolf
I think those are fair statements, and I certainly can't condemn anyone for wanting ANY change at this point. After all, I'm not a shrub lover by a long shot. My problem is this: I cannot see what anyone in either of the two major parties would do differently - politicians talk a good game, but I haven't seen too many marked differences.

Maybe I'm just too jaded. :
Nah, I wouldn't call you jaded, veggiewolf! Unfortunately I agree with your asessment. As far as domestic policy (and to some degree foreign policy too), both the Democrats and the Republicans are more similar than different in *practical* terms. (I'm talking about real stuff getting done, not pretty talk, as veggiewolf has mentioned in the above!)

For example, I am just a trifle annoyed at presidential candidates that *promise* healthcare for everyone and/or to improve schools, because like it or not that's a STATE issue, not a federal one. Presidential candidates can blow sunshine up our you know whats about those sort of things because they really can't do anything about them. And as far as promises to pull all of our troops out of Iraq immediately--uh....not logistically possible, folks. That "promise" shows ignorance, not valor. I would be happier if the candidate for the DP, whoever s/he ends up being, will be honest and practical about what they're going to change during their term. (Like what their proposals for the hemorrhaging deficit is, what they would do PROACTIVELY as far as foreign policy, all the boring stuff that's not as 'sexy' as bashing and pointing out how dumb the other guy is.)

It is sooooooooo painful for me to say that I will vote for whatever Democratic candidate is put up for president, but I'll live. All the other races/proposals are fair game, though. Which is good, in a way, because we are a lot closer to getting independant parties viable on a city/county/state level than federal. Baby steps. Though I wish it didn't have to be that way...
#26 of 26 Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TiredX2
You must be seriously jaded to not see a difference between DK and Shrub!
I see a difference in the rhetoric they spout, yes. I just went through Kucinich's site, though, and while his statements are very good, I saw a lot of "what should be done" and hardly any "how it will be implemented".

I'd be interested to know how he intends to wrest prescription drug pricing from the pharmas (and since I work in the industry, I'll admit it will NOT be an easy fight for anyone). Yes, we should have national health care. Yes, our prescription prices are astronomical. Now, Mr. Kucinich, exactly how are you planning on accomplishing a reform?

Let's not forget, as well, that the president alone is only part of the power structure. If the idiots in the Senate and Congress actually had the guts to listen to their constituents and stand up to Shrub en masse we'd be in a different situation. I'd like to know how Kucinich intends on getting his legislation passed. How will he "cross party lines"?

There was one statement on Kucinich's site that really hit me:

Quote:
A Kucinich administration will toughen environmental enforcement, support the Kyoto Treaty on global climate change, reduce oil dependence, and spur investment in alternative energy sources, including hydrogen, solar, wind, and ocean. Clean energy technologies will produce new jobs. Tax and other incentives will favor sustainable businesses that conserve energy, retrofit pollution prevention technologies, and redesign toxins out of their manufacturing processes. The right to know (for example, when food is genetically engineered) will supercede corporate secrecy. Globally, the U.S. will become a leader in sustainable energy production and a partner with developing nations in providing inexpensive, local, renewable energy technologies.
And I say again, how, Mr. Kucinich? How?

I am looking forward to hearing actual plans from all of the candidates. Then, and only then, will I be able to make a decision as to whether I can vote for the democratic party candidate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page