No more overtime?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-19-2003, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I dont post here much because its way out of my league. But My dh told me last night that he heard Bush was trying to pass a new law stating that there would be no more overtime pay. Has anyone heard this? I really hope this is untrue. I mean you can't
make people work overtime and not pay them right?

edited for spelling:
#2 of 6 Old 09-19-2003, 07:35 PM

As i recal hearing, it would enlarge the number of people in the "exempt" category who wouldn't get overtime pay. There still would be some job categories that qualify.
#3 of 6 Old 09-19-2003, 09:10 PM

It's a reclassification of who is and who isn't eligible for mandatory overtime. There are already lots of people who don't get overtime -- I'm one of them. This would just change the rules, which means that some people who don't get overtime. would, and some people who do, wouldn't. And for some people it wouldn't change.
#4 of 6 Old 09-19-2003, 11:12 PM

that would end up exempt. Alot of nurses would fall into this category, as they usually have some degree of supervision over LPN's (LVN's) and nurses aides. Many would find themselves working the longer hours without the benefit of overtime as their jobs are reclassified as "supervisory" or "managerial". In many cases they may not be able to refuse working longer shifts because if there is no one is there to relieve them, they can be reported to their state boards for "deserting" the patients.

It's another opportunity for employers to extract cheaper labor. It is estimated that even delaying payment of overtime, the original legislation sponsored from a Republican from IL with good intentions, would equate to huge, interest-free loans for companies.

Many people rely on the overtime to meet their financial obligations.
#5 of 6 Old 09-20-2003, 12:11 AM

Yup. 8 million workers. That is a big number, no?

Here is one story. For others go to Google, click on "news", type in "harkin overtime amendment" and you'll get a whole bunch of articles.

Democracy Works Overtime

Quote:
Lobbying furiously against the Harkin amendment were the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Association of Manufacturers, the Mortgage Bankers Association of America, the National Federation of Independent Business, and similar organizations. They contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to elect George W. Bush. The proposed regulations are payback.

and the beat goes on...................

El
#6 of 6 Old 09-20-2003, 10:02 PM

There has been a movement for this for a long time.

Most companies will make you go parttime or simply salary you and demand that you put in extra time now and then.

The parttimers get no benefits.

The salaried employees are worked to death.

I worked two jobs in the 1990's with a sick DH and four children. I worked hard and I was dependable, and management took full advantage of me.

One Saturday night the on-site manager at the Motel I worked at was drunk and got into an altercation with a guest. The manager was knifed and bleeding.

The General Manager was no where to be found as she was at a party with her pager and cell phone turned off. She was a salaried employee, on call 24/7.

I was a desk clerk paid minimum wage for seven years. I managed to handle the situation before the police and paramedics got there. My husband was visiting me at work when it happened, and he helped.

The General Manager did not arrive until Tuesday, three days later. There was blood all over the employees' room.

But, really! The security guard was no help as he was drunk also.

We had no training for this type of activity. It was really above and beyond the call of duty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page