Should Tommy Chong be in Prison for selling bongs on the internet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I can't believe he is actually 65 years old. Anyway here is the link http://courttv-web2.courttv.com/peop.../chong_ap.html

My question is why are Chongs Bongs illegal, when we can walk into any head shop or smoke shop in the US and buy one?

So what do you guys think?
#2 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 04:57 PM

Hmm, I found this interesting article:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...ls_naked4.html

It states "Under federal law it is illegal to sell or transport -- via mail or any other "facility of interstate commerce" -- drug paraphernalia, which the U.S. Code defines as products "primarily intended or designed to be used" for ingesting illegal drugs."

So I guess because he was mailing them, it was wrong?

The article also states the court or whatever used his character's (Cheech and Chong, and on That 70's Show) attitudes against him. That seems unfair. The article ALSO says he has a good chance of the sentence being changed, as two of his employees also pled guilty and only got 6 months house arrest.

Another interesting tidbit from the article re: where he is being tried: "Both Pennsylvania and Iowa have a history of considering these cases important, which goes a long way to explaining why Operation Pipe Dreams and Operation Headhunter were centered in Buchanan's western Pennsylvania district. "The general word we got from the lawyer we use," Chong said, "was that as long as you don't ship to two states, Pennsylvania and Iowa, you'll be OK.""

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just legalize and deal with it that way? Criminy.
#3 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 04:59 PM

#4 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 05:23 PM

Yup, that's worthy of the courts time and efforts. Can't get drug cartel leaders. Can't get drug sellers. Can't even seem to get drug users. So get drug paraphanalia sellers?

OT:

I had no idea "Chong" was Leo on That 70s Show. Thought he was so "over the top"--- maybe a bit more realistic than I thought, lol. I would have never thought he was in his 60s--- think he uses herbal remedies? Nah....

Kay

#5 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I don't buy the theory that it's illegal to ship across state lines. I can guarentee that the pipes and bongs sold at our local tobacco shops are not all made in my state. Yet they are sold legally in the shops. SO my point its selective prosecution.

yes, what a waste of my tax dollars.
#6 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 06:26 PM

Pretty stupid. I agree with mahkdoht - what f&#@#^ waste of my tax $.
#7 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 09:43 PM

I want to see them prosecute Limbaugh for owning a a glass to put water in to swallow his 100 pills of oxycontin a day.
#8 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No. He should go to jail for his performance in "Still Smoking"

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#9 of 28 Old 10-09-2003, 11:29 PM

This is just insane, if the government knew (and I'm sure they do anyways) how many people make their own, they wouldn't even bother Chong, but I guess since they are mailed it gives them legal grounds. Go figure.
#10 of 28 Old 10-10-2003, 12:29 AM

NO!!!!!
#11 of 28 Old 10-10-2003, 03:12 AM

Ken Lay (he of Enron fame) should be in prison for the fraud he perpetrated over us all.

There's others I could name as candidates for his cell mates...

hmmmm...Tommy Chong isn't one.

#12 of 28 Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I don't buy the theory that it's illegal to ship across state lines. I can guarentee that the pipes and bongs sold at our local tobacco shops are not all made in my state. Yet they are sold legally in the shops. SO my point its selective prosecution.
Exactly! Celebrities are easy targets and get politicians a lot of attention! Isn't there some better use of tax dollars? Or maybe I'm wrong and bongs are a greater threat to society than bazookas!?!
#13 of 28 Old 10-10-2003, 02:17 PM

Asscroft came down hard on this about a year ago. So hard, in fact, that all the head shops in my town scrambled to get rid of their smoking paraphernalia. He scared everyone.

I, personally, think it's dumb to ban them. As someone else said, it's so easy to make one on your own, what's the difference.
#14 of 28 Old 10-10-2003, 04:43 PM

yeh, back in my younger daze my pls nd I were known to make smoking implements from potatoes, soda cans...oh no, I have a bag of potatoes in my house right now!!!
#15 of 28 Old 10-10-2003, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sadie_sabot
yeh, back in my younger daze my pls nd I were known to make smoking implements from potatoes, soda cans...oh no, I have a bag of potatoes in my house right now!!!

! I have a bag of apples!
#16 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have an apple tree, LMAO
#17 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 03:32 AM

I know how to make one from a tampon applicator. Now that's female intuition!

Tommy Chong: The Martha Stewart of Bongs. Such a waste of tax money. ITA.

Wonder if Rush will get off with just a slap for his druggy indiscretions.

We shall see...

Denny
#18 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 10:46 AM

It's not a bong - it's a water pipe. LOL

You can also use the tampon paper to roll a big fattie - uh, not that I have ever tried

I agree they are targeting him because of his celebrity.
#19 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Apparently ol' Tommy Chong does not have enough $$ to get a decent attorney.

Anyone with $$$ can stay out of jail on this one.

He should have saved $$ from his doper movies for his Golden Years.

There are many relatives of Senators and Congressmen who come up on the same charges and set free.

$$$ talks.

Death to the War on Drugs...it is a war on us!

I favor legalization.

I am a Libertarian.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#20 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 01:42 PM

To the sunshine:

I worked in a Motel 6, and we always found all kinds of drug paraphenalia in the rooms after check out made from all kinds of things too.

Any plumbing spigot and tubing are adjustable for use in the business of drug abuse and use.

My younger brother made a in ceramics class in high school -and he was not the only one. It was a popular reason to take the class.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#21 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 01:59 PM

Unfortunately, it is not just Tommy Chong. It is all paraphenalia makers in CA. There was a big crack down a while ago. People's (meaning people who owned glass-blowing businesses that specialized in that sort of stuff) homes were raided at 6 am, by the Feds. Many people were put out of jobs because of it, and many of them live in depressed economies (like Humboldt county) where finding another good-paying job is quite difficult.

Tommy Chong is the only one who made the media, though, because he is famous. Otherwise, this would have been a wholly unreported action by the government. I knew about it months ago because my brother lives in Humbolt county and knows people who were effected.

The way I understand it, is that in Pennsylvania it is illegal to sell paraphenalia even if you use the disclaimer "for tobacco use only" (which is how head shops and the like get away with it), when selling over the internet, someone in PA can purchase a lovely pipe or bong and it is illegal, thus the whole thing about illegal sales accross state lines. If anyone knows more about the PA part of this I would like to know if it is true.

I am in favor of legalization, would settle for decriminalization, and think this is a huge set back for civil liberties in the US.
#22 of 28 Old 10-11-2003, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I heard about the crack down and arrests months ago too, and yes more were arrested than just him. I just recently heard about the sentancing though, hence this thread.
#23 of 28 Old 10-15-2005, 09:38 PM

The reason why its illegal for him to sell a bong is because bong is a drug term. If you call it a water pipe or a tabbaco assesory then it becomes legal. If you go into a store that sells these "tabbaco assesorys and say your looking for somthing to smoke pot in they legaly cant sell to you. Stupid stupid laws.
#24 of 28 Old 10-16-2005, 12:01 AM

NO, he should not.

Most of the students in my ceramics class in high school we making one. :

#25 of 28 Old 10-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
If you call it a water pipe or a tabbaco assesory then it becomes legal.
That is not true, at least not everywhere. Plenty of local businesses here in central Florida were raided, and police even said that the items will be confiscated and businesses closed even if they're labeled as tobacco accessories or water pipes because they know that they're used for pot (how that's legal if they can't prove it is beyond me). There are even big signs up in the stores saying that if you even say the word "bong" in the store or mention pot that they will force you to leave, but that's not good enough for LE here. Lots of stores around here have been cleared out...it's bad, they're always (the ones here at least) are independently owned, mom-and-pop type stores. The ones we go to (we get lots of stuff at stores that sell pipes...clothes, decor, art, etc) always have really friendly, good people working there, it sucks that they've lost money.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#26 of 28 Old 12-03-2005, 06:50 PM

#27 of 28 Old 01-08-2006, 04:28 AM

How about cigerrett rolling papers????????
#28 of 28 Old 09-11-2006, 03:25 PM

we have head shops here in town, and they aren't allowed to say the word bong, because bongs are illegal. they simply call them pipes---even if they really are some crazy five hundred dollar bongs.

no, he shouldn't go to prison. they're going to need to outlaw corn-cobs, hookas, and tobacc-ee first

ever heard of John Sinclair? It ain't fair John Sinclair Let him be Set him free?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page