The beginning of the end for healthy food choices, all food to be monitored... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-12-2003, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
...all in the name of fighting terrorism?

It looks to me like another way of making sure the population doesn't eat anything healthy.

Quote:
"We are providing critical new tools for the FDA to identify potentially dangerous foods and better keep our food supply safe and secure," Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson said Thursday in announcing the regulations that take effect Dec. 12.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../food_security

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-12-2003, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It just requires any food manufacturor to provide name and address, type of food produced, and size of operation.

Unless they add something to it later, I don't see how this is going to affect healthy food. After all, all businesses have to have licenses now. Am I missing something?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 6 Old 10-12-2003, 03:29 PM

I think she is referring to what the cost of such a thing may be and how small buisnesses may have problems affording it. (we don't know the cost though so they might be ok)

Also it may raise the cost of imported food even more. I complained about the cost of some imported cheese in another thread..I can't imagine them being even more expensive. We are all going to end up just being able to afford KRAFT.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 6 Old 10-12-2003, 03:34 PM

Hmm. I will be doing this for my company. The FDA estimates it will take 15 minutes over the internet, or slightly longer if you send for it and have to send it in. Our biggest problem will be asking our foriegn suppliers to get registered, because the shipments will be held at the border at our cost if they aren't registered. So, my impression is that if the companies in the US communicate with their suppliers, there should be minimal costs required.
I somewhat don't think of foriegn food as healthy food. I think of it as processed foods because of shipping issues. I had forgotten about how much produce gets imported. I don't think produce suppliers have to register because the food is not processed.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#5 of 6 Old 10-12-2003, 03:51 PM

I am not certain what they are defining as "processed" I guess it depends on what they think that means.

If it just excluded vegetables then cheese, wine, jellies, anything in a jar like olives, oils (many cooking oils are imported)

OMG!! That would include NUTELLA! ACK! **passes out**

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 6 Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
What I mean is food that the FDA, CDC, USDA and those with vested interests "deem" as dangerous. This would be any unpasteurized food products, basically anything that has some life to it, as they can easily say it contains "harmful" bacteria and is therefore a terrorist risk.

Maybe I am over reacting, but it seems like it is the beginning of something more....

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page