#1 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.theolympian.com/home/news..._Printer.shtml

LEDYARD KING GANNETT NEWS SERVICE The Olympian Online

IRAQ: Latest developments

Your thoughts about war with Iraq.

WASHINGTON -- Letters from hometown soldiers describing their successes rebuilding Iraq have been appearing in newspapers across the country as U.S. public opinion on the mission sours.
And all the letters are the same.

A Gannett News Service search found identical letters from different soldiers with the 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment, also known as "The Rock," in 11 newspapers, including Snohomish, Wash.

The Olympian received two identical letters signed by different hometown soldiers: Spc. Joshua Ackler and Spc. Alex Marois, who is now a sergeant. The paper declined to run either because of a policy not to publish form letters.

The five-paragraph letter talks about the soldiers' efforts to re-establish police and fire departments, and build water and sewer plants in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, where the unit is based.

"The quality of life and security for the citizens has been largely restored, and we are a large part of why that has happened," the letter reads.

It describes people waving at passing troops and children running up to shake their hands and say thank you.

It's not clear who wrote the letter or organized sending it to soldiers' hometown papers.

Six soldiers reached by GNS directly or through their families said they agreed with the letter's thrust. But none of the soldiers said he wrote it, and one said he didn't even sign it.

Marois, 23, told his family he signed the letter, said Moya Marois

It goes on........

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 02:38 AM

Your tax dollars at work, kids.

denny
#3 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

So, just some propoganda...posing as real letter from soldiers?

seem so wrong to do. imo.

#4 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 12:45 PM

Ya know, I thought psychological warfare was supposed to be directed at the other side. Well, maybe it is for all those "sleeper cells" we have in this country. :

Yeah, my tax dollars at work.:Puke

If I saw that letter with the name of someone I know who is over there, I can guarantee I would know that it wasn't his words....his would have to be heavily edited to remove all the 'anglo-saxon' before the paper would stop smoking.
#5 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Banned

Wow, that's really appalling! Then again, I suppose it's not much worse than orchestrating polls in which hypothetical incendiary questions are asked, in order to plant rumors about an opposing candidate or idea (e.g., "If you understood that Howard Dean sought to change the federal Constitution in order to allow Vermont to, on its own initiative, take in top Al Qaeda leaders on the ground of political asylum, AND if you understood Dr. Dean to have fathered several love children with several of Osama bin Laden's daughters, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?").

If the latter hasn't happened already, it's likely coming soon to a representative sample of registered voters near you.
#6 of 14 Old 10-14-2003, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

This is so unconscionable...but what do I expect. and people continue to defend this adminsitration and the war and i'm sure they have an answer for this cellophane attempt at propoganda...

for me it continues to be 'amateur night in dixie' politics...but I guess it works...I'm sure there are people who still want to believe these are real letters. They also think Rush is an inncocent party to his back pain, too.

#7 of 14 Old 10-14-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
"When I told him he wrote such a good letter, he said: 'What letter?' " Timothy Deaconson said Friday, recalling the phone conversation he had with his son, Nick. "This is just not his (writing) style."

He spoke to his son, Pfc. Nick Deaconson, at a hospital where he was recovering from a grenade explosion that left shrapnel in both his legs.
How come they can't find ot who wrote it?
Quote:
his platoon sergeant had distributed the letter and asked soldiers for the names of their hometown newspapers
Why not ask him? This sounds so unethical.
#8 of 14 Old 10-14-2003, 07:17 PM

They have found out who wrote these letters - it was the Cdr. of the battalion and his staff:

Quote:
She was right. Her son didn't write the letter. In an e-mail to ABCNEWS today, the commander of the battalion, Lt. Col. Dominic Caraccilo, said the "letter-writing initiative" was all his idea.

Caraccilo said he circulated the form letter to his soldiers to give them "an opportunity to let their respective hometowns know what they are accomplishing here in Kirkuk. As you might expect, they are working at an extremely fast pace and getting the good news back home is not always easy. We thought it would be a good idea to encapsulate what we as a battalion have accomplished since arriving Iraq and share that pride with people back home."

Caraccilo wrote that his staff drafted the letter, he edited it and reviewed it and then offered it to the soldiers. "Every soldier who signed that letter did so after a careful read," he said. "Some, who could find the time, decided to send their own versions, while others chose not to take part in the initiative."
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/W...3_letters.html
#9 of 14 Old 10-14-2003, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Her son didn't write the letter. In an e-mail to ABCNEWS today, the commander of the battalion, Lt. Col. Dominic Caraccilo, said the "letter-writing initiative" was all his idea.

I think the operative words there are "was all his idea"...

My own thoughts on this...and sure, I can be wrong....but everything I have read and learned about the us military and pentagon... is nobody in the military moves without answering to somebody. They don't breed that kind of behavior, there are protocols in the military and it seems HIGHLY unlikely that this Lt. Col did this unilaterally especially in such a hot button war...

Especially with something called "Centcom"....looming... CentCom answers to the joints chief of staff and Rumsfield.

Having worked in the press and worked on projects with the us army.. my guess... Lt. Col. Caraccilo is falling on a sword. Like the good solider he was bred to be... maybe even a good promotion was offered to him.
They want this to go away.

I think this reeks.

#10 of 14 Old 10-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Especially with something called "Centcom"....looming... CentCom answers to the joints chief of staff and Rumsfield.
So true.............
#11 of 14 Old 10-15-2003, 02:06 PM

So, I have to share this story,

My dad calls me out of my room to see what is scrolling on the bottom of CNN News channel this morning. It says:

Quote:
"Economizing Equals Death"
It goes onto say that if you drive an economy car you are more likely to die in a crash.............

How Orwellian can they get................................
#12 of 14 Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Banned

T

Quote:
It goes onto say that if you drive an economy car you are more likely to die in a crash.............
Hot d@mn! That's just the piddly justification I needed to go into serious hock for a new Hummer!!!

(Actually, I wanna throw a grenade under each one I see. You know - I just love returning things to their natural habitat. )
#13 of 14 Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 PM

P-R-O-P-A-G-A-N-D-A ?
#14 of 14 Old 10-16-2003, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

propaganda.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page