how to help the strikers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-13-2003, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As some of you may know, the workers at Albertson's, Von's, Pavilion's and Ralph's are on strike - over 800 stores and 70,000 workers in the So Cal area. Last week as contract negotiations broke down, 97% voted to strike. The primary issues are health benefits, pension plans and management's desire to have a second tier pay scale.

One way you can help is simply by shopping at other stores - take your business elsewhere - Trader Joe's, Stater Bros, Gelson's, indepedent markets, etc. This may take a little planning but it really can make a difference.

Also, consider taking a more active role. I dropped by our local Pavilion's on my way home from work and gave the hungry strikers some cookies (bought at TJs) and then when I got home my DH (it was his afternoon with the baby) told me that he had taken our little guy out for some fresh air and exercise on on the picket line at the same store -- for two hours! Some fun apparently.

Anyway, now we're thinking of adopting the store for the continuation of the strike - showing up when we can, etc.

I just wanted to offer these ideas because I think we don't realize just how much small gestures mean -- and just how easy they are, really, to make.

Huelga!

#2 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just talked to a friend of mine in Whittier. She said Trader Joes was crazy! Jam packed and no bread to be had. She got the last pita in the place. She's trying to do right. She heard a rumor that it is likely to be a long strike. That no one is even talking abolut bargaining at this point. What are the strikers asking for?
#3 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 01:47 AM

My dad was a union guy from waaaaay back. When we had long term grocery strikes, he and I went out every day for a little strike-support. After a week or two, the grocery stores will start doing really good loss leaders to get you in the store. Like Tillamook cheese, 2 lbs for $2. And pop for $1.50 a case. He and I would hit every grocery store in a 20 mile radius and ONLY buy the loss leaders, one for him and one for me. We'd let the strikers know on the way in, and come out with our bargains held high to thumbs up and smiles. Then the stores are keeping their doors open AND losing money to do it. We'd keep some of the food and donate the rest, officially or unofficially.
I've never heard of anyone else doing this, but it sure impressed upon me the importance of unions and community support. I was Dad's shopping partner since I was wee, and we did the strike thing from when I was 8 to about 14, off and on, of course.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, our TJs was packed --and apparently they planned for this overflow.

According to the Times, management wants takeaways: a wage freeze, substantial cuts to health and pension benefits and substantially lower wage and benefit packages for new employees (health beenfits for these new employees would be worth less than 1/3 of veteran workers plans). They say they must win these kinds of concessions in order to compete with such stores as WalMart -- which is, of course, non union.

The workers are fighting the takeaways and asking for hourly wages increases of 50 cents the first year and 45 cents for the following two years.

Yes, it will be a long haul. The faces I saw today were pretty grim - especially the woman who is about six months pregnant.
#5 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Apricot... Your dad is smart! Someone should print up flyers about that!

T GOD I miss TJ's!!!!
#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's some plan!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page