Congratulations Clay!!

Peace- Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(hugs and stickey vibes again, sweetest!)

i love the idea of keeping the thread going!

we had a fun time this weekend at a botanic garden fete... and then i had this awesome inspiration... our "deal" in our family for the past three years has been that when DH finishes grad school, i get to take pottery classes (i took them when i was little, and have wanted so badly to start up again)... anyhow, i decided that THAT is how i'm going to come by my delightful winter forest critters menagery (sp??).... anyhow. i'm bouncing with joy about that! other than that, i'm really not getting stuff done as fast as i'd wanted, and i'm really ready for that... "ahhhhh..." feeling... dh is done with school on friday, so.... presumably it will happen then? lol.

:
Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM

It is snowing today and we are expected to get 6 inches. i better get to the store for milk before it is all sold. lol.

i have received so many cards in the mail. they are all so lovely. I finally mailed all mine out. I think that I would like to do this every year and I am already planning what I would like to do for next year. It really helped me to celebrate the Solstice. I am surrounded by Christmas, and it was nice to see visual reminders that others celebrate as I do!

We finally got a tree. in the end we couldnt afford the real tree i wanted. we were limited financially and spacially. we ended up with a fake 3.5 ft tree. it is still pretty all dec'd up though.

I am baking! I made my first pie this week, with my first homemade pie crust!. It was so yummy:. DH and I fought over the last piece. lol. It was an apple pie (my fav), next will be a lemon meringue. I also made banana bread for the first time. the kids said it was good. i wouldnt know, i am allergic to bananas so didnt even try one piece. i mad zucchini cranberry bread. that was yummy too. my fam is loving my new found love for baking. lol.

next is some thumbprint cookies. thanks for the recipe!
i am going to make some more banana bread and zucchini bread to take to fam gatherings this year. alos the lemo pie and some cookies. i have so many things i want to make! maybe i should get off of here and get busy .

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM

~a little winter john denver sing along for my camp pals~

:
Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

:
This one's a personal fave. ( I've got it on my phone even, lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBMz...eature=related
Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
:
This one's a personal fave. ( I've got it on my phone even, lol) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBMz...eature=related
OMG! I just watched this with my DD (4 1/2) who had never seen the muppets. She loved it. Her breathed sucked in when Ms Piggy came on and said, "Wow. She's Be-u-tiful!" : I remember thinking that. Me with my Ms. Piggy lunch pail in the 2nd or 3rd grade.

Baking day. Made pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins (with chocolate chips of course ). Made sugar holiday cookies waiting to be decorated, and ended up needing to make a red and a green batch of playdough, so the kids could get hands on with something besides all the great help they were to me.

I feel a little wiped out. When DP gets home I'm escaping to my room to shower, have a cocktail and do a little solstice reading:

The Return of the Light. Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice by Carolyn McVickar Edwards

I'm a fairly new identified pagan, so I'm still learning every day.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 PM

A bit off topic but I made these
here is another pic of my pecan Yule log cookies!

I made it for a cookie swap. People seemed to like it!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM

subbing and wanted to throw out the idea of a stone soup party for all you solstice and soupers. have everyone bring an ingredient to add to the mix!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

We invented a winter party called "soup and solstice". Whoever's intown of our friends gets to to stop by and have lovely soups with us .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohuehue View Post
subbing and wanted to throw out the idea of a stone soup party for all you solstice and soupers. have everyone bring an ingredient to add to the mix!
We've done a soup potluck. It was a lot of fun.

I just wanted to thank everybody for this thread (and subbing!) because I've been wanting to do something for solstice, and didn't know what to do.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to all those who sent out yule cards. I absolutely love receiving them all.

We got our tree and I got my altar up finally. (pictures in my blog).

I'm excited about our solstice feast, yule log, and potential hike this weekend! YAH!

-Rachel

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Your altar is gorgeous, Rachel!! :0)

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

We got more snow!! :

The winter-scape outside makes us all feel more festive. I still have some prep work for Solstice, but should finish on time.
I've added one more thing I hope to do- take pictures of the sun and snow on the Solstice. Then take more on the equinoxes and summer solstice to make a picture sequence of the seasons, to hang on the wall.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 AM

Hello all! Ahhh, the joys of winter! : Mostly, I have been loving it.

I've been writing about our winter fun/difficulties---> blog

For me, these few days until winter solstice are all about being in the here and now- not worrying about getting things done. My rituals are simple and spontaneous: a few days ago, my hubby suggested we go out side after the girls went to bed. It was snowing and we built a little fire. The firelight reflecting on the snow- the joy of being together alone- this was a magical ritual of winter to me! :
Blessings to you all!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM

We don't have snow yet, it's supposed to start at noonish. I am hoping for a good layer, as I want to be able to tromp through the snowy woods. Course I need to get some boots. May hit the much dreaded WalMart and see if I can find some muck boots on the cheap side that I can pair with a couple layers of socks.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 12-19-2008, 04:51 PM

Well after a stormy morning it looks like the weather may allow for a Solstice Party afterall. I have fresh bread (4loaves), cheese, pepperoni, brocolli, dip, cookies, fudge and olives. I need to make punch, coffee and tea when it is closer to party time.
We are making treats for the birds, and reading stories. Should be fun!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Have a great party brendon! :
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM

I'm sure your guests will be so grateful for all the wonderful goodness you prepared and hospitality you share! Have a lovely evening!!

Gearing up here...got half of tomorrow night's meal prepared (thank you, DH) and the dragon's layer trifle is in process.

Wine started flowing last night

Candles are being collected.

Tomorrow we'll make luminaries and distribute our candles throughout the house. We'll have an electric-light free 24 hours starting at bedtime tomorrow night.

Got lots of crafting still to do...DH's scarf is almost complete, but DS's King Winter is totally naked.

DH has been grad-school free and available and happy for nearly 18 hours.

It's going to be a great Yule! ::::

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Hello all! Ahhh, the joys of winter! : Mostly, I have been loving it.

I've been writing about our winter fun/difficulties---> blog

For me, these few days until winter solstice are all about being in the here and now- not worrying about getting things done. My rituals are simple and spontaneous: a few days ago, my hubby suggested we go out side after the girls went to bed. It was snowing and we built a little fire. The firelight reflecting on the snow- the joy of being together alone- this was a magical ritual of winter to me! :
Blessings to you all!
I missed this post...what a lovely (and, dare I say, romantic) ritual, Salvia!!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to throw it out there to everyone that on the day after solstice PLUTO will conjunct the sun in capricorn. We are beginning a whole new cycle. Once a year Pluto conjuncts the Sun but for the last 14 years it has been occuring in Sag. Now it is occuring in Capricorn, which we haven't had since prior to the American REvolution.
See if you guys feel energetic in a different way on Sun/Monday. It could be subtle but the energy that comes up will shine a light on our lives and will have an echo on it for about 15 years.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 PM

In lieu of Winter Solstice cards this year, I have created a Winter Solstice meditation that I would like to give to you all: http://songsofthesyrinx.blogspot.com/

Merry Winter Solstice to you all!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My soup and solstice party tonight was great success. The nine inches of snow did hurt the guest list some but I did have 20 of my closest neighbors and friends walk to my house in the snow to celebrate with us. Had to forgo the outside bonfire for a tame fire in the fireplace but that was fine. Kids ran around. Wine and cider flowed, ideas exchanged, neighbors re-acquainted. It was a great time full of joy and warmth.:

Merry Solstice to all!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 PM

We get real trees those tree stands on the side of the road. Next year we are going on Thanksgiving to a tree farm to choose and cut down our own tree. We plan to make it a Thanksgiving tradition. We do not use artificial trees any longer because we learned that they contain lead.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
My soup and solstice party tonight was great success. The nine inches of snow did hurt the guest list some but I did have 20 of my closest neighbors and friends walk to my house in the snow to celebrate with us. Had to forgo the outside bonfire for a tame fire in the fireplace but that was fine. Kids ran around. Wine and cider flowed, ideas exchanged, neighbors re-acquainted. It was a great time full of joy and warmth.:

Merry Solstice to all!
That sounds wonderful!

Our snow here kept us from going out as planned and anyone from going here, but we had a nice family celebration. I wrote about it here--> blog

Still snowing...

Old 12-22-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

We've had a lot more snow, and a lot earlier than usual this year.
We had a good solstice; spent together, sledding, and yummy soup and homemade pizza later.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

User Tag List