Winter Solstice Camp: Yule in our Hearts - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking a bit more about making a solstice calender. I decided to make it in the shape of a sun. So I'm making a circle from yellow or golden fabric and attaching 21 rays. I will make the rays form various ribbons and fold them over the sun. Then my girls will take one ray each day and pin it out from the sun and by the 21th the sun will be shining with all the rays, as a symbol of the returning sun. I think this will be really neat and my girls will love all the ribbons and shiny fabric.
#122 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM

food short cut- you know the Bengal Spice tea by Celestial Seasonings? It's an herbal/spice blend and we add it to all sorts of stuff... pies, waffle batter, rice pudding, bread, squash soup, mixed with honey and smeared on stuff as a glaze, in mulled wine/cider, etc. It is a perfectly yummy blend of seasonal spices, makes good tea on it's own, and comes in individual serving sizes.

Sun calendar- love it! What a cool idea. Maybe I'll borrow that one for next year. Or maybe I'll make two calendars. I have two girls after all.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#123 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Hi Ladies,
I am thinking of trees and cookies and cookie ornaments.

Do you make cookie ornaments? If so, do you have a good recipe?

Every year I try and string popcorn but soon get fustrated cause the popcorn seems to break. any tips?

I am also looking for a recipe for birdseed ornaments for the tree.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#124 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstridS View Post
I was thinking a bit more about making a solstice calender. I decided to make it in the shape of a sun. So I'm making a circle from yellow or golden fabric and attaching 21 rays. I will make the rays form various ribbons and fold them over the sun. Then my girls will take one ray each day and pin it out from the sun and by the 21th the sun will be shining with all the rays, as a symbol of the returning sun. I think this will be really neat and my girls will love all the ribbons and shiny fabric.
I'd love to see a picture! Yours too, Clay!!

Here are more I found (although none compare to the first)

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#125 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 AM

wow! some of those are really neat!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#126 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 PM

It's funny hubby just brought up a nativity set out of the blue last night. I told him I wasn't adverse to the idea, as long as we put our own spin on it and find a unique set. Have to say I was surprised because he's just not into the "trappings" of Christianity type guy so I am not even sure what made him think of it, other than maybe the PartyLite catalog he was flipping through (he and his brother LOVE candles).

So we are looking for a yule log candle holder, no fireplace. And he likes the idea of no lights Yule night. So new traditions for us.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#127 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Oh, I also wanted to share a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie recipe I am making this year. I found it in Serious Eats and reposted it in my blog for easy reference.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

#128 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I really want to do a forest animal nativity now. We don't have any tiny wooden animals, so I am going to go look for some today. I also love the candle spiral advent table centerpiece too.

I didn't inherit many holiday traditions, which frees me up to create whatever I want .
We start the holiday decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving, and put up the advent calendar on Dec 1. The activities we do for that are becoming our traditions. I would still like to find a few more stories to read traditionally. ( I know some people who use only books for the advent countdown, too.) Candle light only for Solstice ( at least for a short time), and homemade doughnuts Christmas morning.
#129 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 03:27 PM
gun

I will try my hand at a yule log cake this year. I cringe at the thought of marzipan, so I am thinking meringue mushrooms. I am sure someone here has given it a go before, does anyone have a favorite recipe?

I have a funny tiny purple lumpy nativity set that I purchased in Mexico. It is wonderfully tacky and the figures are strangely amorphous.

Peace- Heather
#130 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Send any marzipan my way! It was one of the few Norwegian traditions that survived my dad and his family moving to America (my grandpa wanted to "Americanize" the family). I love me some marzipan. I almost bought a marzipan pig for Jul at the Norwegian bazaar we went to, but then my aunt had a good idea - buy marzipan and make our own pigs.

I totally want to do the bowl of candles as an advent calendar to solstice. I'm trying to think of how to do that considering I think I'd have to buy everything I'd need to do it. Maybe a big platter with some greenery and candles ... then I'd just have to buy the candles and find some greenery. Hmm ...

Tonight my niece is supposed to be coming over to watch the boys (I hope she remembers), so I am dragging dh to the store (we need to get a couple more things for ds#2's birthday tomorrow). I think maybe we'll swing by the local Christian bookstore to check out their Nativity scenes. I know when we were doing the whole church thing, I used to check them out every year - they used to have some nice, non-descript, non-traditional ones; but then again, having the baby Jesus with a halo (which would represent the sun to us) might be nice.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get a chimney sweep out here before solstice. But, at the bazaar, dh bought a Yule log with four candle holders/candles and a little greenery and a pinecone. So, that might be our log this year - we'll put it on the hearth (but not in it - the firebox needs some serious cleaning - I do not know the last time my dad had ever lit a fire in there, but I do know he never cleaned it out).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#131 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
you would laugh. <wink>

awesome monkey! heehee. i call ds monkey boy, maybe he'd like that one? hmmm....

i call all my kids monkeys. everytime i see a pioc of a monkey i have to ask them how that person got their pic. lol. they climb like monkeys too. my dad did it with me so i guess i am just passing down the tradition. lol. DS is my Main Monkey Boy. DDs are all litlle monkey girls. LOL

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#132 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM

so, i thought of what i would have done for an advent calendar, if i'd have thought of it in time.... one of those candles with stuff in them, and as it burns, you get the treasures. ds wouldnt like it, but i would! i'd make one with stone beads, huzzah! oh, well... he loves his tree to decorate (though, he has a tendancy to put them all on, then take them off, repeadedly.... )
#133 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
I'd love to see a picture! Yours too, Clay!!

Here are more I found (although none compare to the first)
Inanna_Mama~ Thank you so much for that link!!! So many great ideas! I need to give this more thought and make myself stay up past 9:30 to work on it! I'll post picks if I make it!

I have collected a managerie of animals that I have found at Goodwill over the years. I put them up with lights and greens and holly with the ceramic old fashion Santa my Mom painted for me. It's very special to me. I'll post a pic of that too.

Thanks for the inspiration all!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#134 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

You can count me as another monkey mama. But I love monkeys, as a kid I wanted a pet spider monkey http://www.zooschool.ecsd.net/spider%20monkey.htm soooooo bad. Still do. kinda.

Marzipan- always wanted to give it a try. Haven't yet, but I do have the ingredients necessary. I will be making a Buche de Noel this year, which will also be a first for me.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ipe/index.html
this one looks easier http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...shrooms-104507
this one is cute http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1
drool http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26sa%3DN

And, although not edible, I still love my friend Hasting's version http://sewingmamas.com/b/showthread....ght=buche+noel
#135 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Hi Ladies,

Popcorn works best if you make it a day before you string it Momma was always making boat loads of popcorn on about thursday and we'd start stringing on friday night and go half the weekend lol. I haven't done cookie ornaments before.. mainly because my kids would eat em ALL at once, leaving them with achy tums.. and me with a nekkid tree lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstridS View Post
I was thinking a bit more about making a solstice calender. I decided to make it in the shape of a sun. So I'm making a circle from yellow or golden fabric and attaching 21 rays.
Neat idea!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#136 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
You can count me as another monkey mama. But I love monkeys, as a kid I wanted a pet spider monkey http://www.zooschool.ecsd.net/spider%20monkey.htm soooooo bad. Still do. kinda.
i like them too. i wanted one as a pet, maybe that is why i have monkey children. lol

i might have the kids string popcorn. they are very against anything hard to do. so it might turn into a frustrating night full of "i cant do it"'s. maybe i will skip it and get something else to string that might be easier.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#137 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Hi Ladies,

Every year I try and string popcorn but soon get fustrated cause the popcorn seems to break. any tips?

I am also looking for a recipe for birdseed ornaments for the tree.
How about cinnamon dough ornaments? http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnamon-dough-ornaments.html They smell and look nice, but the kids won't eat them. ( hopefully, lol)
I don't make cookie ornaments for the same reason.

Links for birdseed ornaments
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...348188550.html
http://www.ehow.com/tips_9849.html
#138 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM

We make Cinnamon Dough gingerbread men each year. Love the way they smell. Except we call them Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments, my recipe has no glue.

1 c. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. applesauce

Mix dry ingredients. Add applesauce a little at a time. Mixture should have consistency of playdough. If too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons applesauce. Roll 1/4 inch thick on ungreased surface. If too sticky, sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on level surface to dry 4-5 days. Insert fine wire at top of ornament before drying. Tie with ribbon. Yield 2 dozen.

#139 of 295 Old 11-26-2008, 11:51 PM

Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are officially done our Solstice cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful pictures drawn by my wonderful artist sons! Now to just mail them out...for once in my life I am not late:
#140 of 295 Old 11-27-2008, 08:07 PM

: Where is everyone today?
Today i made one of the wreaths that was talked about...I will post a pic later....I am soooo not crafty so I am surprised that it worked out!
#141 of 295 Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 PM

snangel- it's USA thanksgiving today. I'm guessing everyone is hosting families and eating too much.

Aweyn- candle calendar... sweet!

Solstice cards- not even close to done. Actually, not even close to begun.

#142 of 295 Old 11-27-2008, 11:16 PM

I have no kids tomorrow, so I am cleaning and decorating.

(May run out to the goodwill to see if they have anything fun for decorating)

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#143 of 295 Old 11-28-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
snangel- it's USA thanksgiving today. I'm guessing everyone is hosting families and eating too much.

Aweyn- candle calendar... sweet!

Solstice cards- not even close to done. Actually, not even close to begun.
Haha yah I realized that after I posted....hope everyone's turkey day was good!
#144 of 295 Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM

Giving us a bump!

I just made a beeswax: tea light candle star with yellow beeswax and 2 red beeswax and clove candles. The yellow one will go on my altar and the reds are on my kitchen altar.

#145 of 295 Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM

hi mamas!

thanks for all the lovely information- i have bookmarked tons of sites and have great ideas for this year and next

i have a question, though? does anyone have story book recomendations for things relating to the solstice? or advice/ story ideas on how to introduce the concept to a 3 yr old?

thanks
#146 of 295 Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 PM

subbing

Valérie   
#147 of 295 Old 11-29-2008, 03:18 PM

i am excited about making a wreath now that i explained to DH that i can get a hanger that goes OVER the door and i wont be nailing anything TO the door. i m kinda surprised that he didnt think of that. i am going to get soem grapevine. then i am going out to my dad's forest to find some evergreen branches and stuff. i finally checked out Michael's (on black friday even), and found lots of great stuff. I had never been in there before. now i am feeling all crafty. DH even helped me find what i was looking for! he usually doesnt help with anything to witchy in nature. he has been quite supportive lately.

i have decided to only buy one present for all 3 girls to share (a wood kitchen) and one individual present each. DS, being, 13, will prob get the xbox he wants (DH decided this lol) and some games. the grandparents have all been talked into only getting them one present each, and as many clothes as they want. DSDs' bday are so close to xmas. DSD1 was last week and DSD2's is in 2 weeks. so they get bday presents and then xmas presents. it was hard talking them all (DSDs other families, which they have 3 times the amt as DS and DD) into only getting them one thing for bday and xmas. i just explained i dont want alot of clutter and that they would have to get rid of one thing they already have to replace it with one new thing. I live in a trailer! 3 bedroom with 4 kids DH and I! so yeah, we are pressed for space. all winter long we are in each others space. i dont want to be stepping all over toys too! /rant lol

i am currently working on Solstice cards and i hope to have them out by the 12th. this is the first year i have ever made anything to send out to other people. all of you mamas (and this thread) have me feeling all crafty. it is kinda cool. DH even wanted to help. there is hope for him yet! lol

does anybody buy or make presents for their pets? does anybody have a recipe for dog treats or something cats would like? all this crafty feeling should be put to good use with my furry members of my family too.

Love ya all, sending :

#148 of 295 Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Hmm... I don't think I'll get around to making a solstice calender. I don't really feel like sewing. But I did make wreaths for the front and back doors today. I used willow and efeu from the living fence out the back and roses from the front yard. I posted a pic on my blog:
http://hjertetmed.blogspot.com/
#149 of 295 Old 11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
gun

I finished cards last night working into the wee hours! I am busy trying to address them all and with DD awake and 'helping' it is a challenge!

This is the dog biscuit recipe I used - ( even my dog of an exhusband would eat these if I made them with turkey)

3/4 c. wheat germ 3/4 c. powdered milk
1 egg 1 jar baby meat, preferably liver or beef
1/2 jar water

Mix well and drop on a cookie sheet. The cookies should be the size of a quarter. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F. or microwave on High for 7-12 minutes. Refrigerate. Nice crunchy texture.
(copied from dragonbear.com)

After working on my cards, I too am all crafty!!

Peace- Heather
#150 of 295 Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 PM

i PLANNED my cards, does that count?

i've been gardening up a storm. making my self stay inside today and craft (ok, well, other than 15 min of vit D on the porch, lol).

getting very very very very very excited..... loads of food ideas, decorating ideas, crafting ideas.... and now that the weather is finally cooler, i'm feeling SO much more "me".... i have all this energy that i'd forgotten i was capable of....actually, thought maybe i WASNT capable of anymore (post-babe!, lol).

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page