Winter Solstice Camp: Yule in our Hearts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to start with a big ol' : to Mercyn! Got some Death by Chocolate cake here for you too

Yule, briefly described is a celebration of light and warmth. The longest night, followed by the return of the sun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Ok, is everyone ready to get started planning their Winter Solstice celebrations? It's gotten much colder here in the past week, and the holiday feeling is permeating the air.

Let's begin with a place to keep our Yule goodies; I have an idea to create a Yule mini-book to keep as part of a larger overall Wheel of the Year book. I found some Christmas Notebooks over on organizedchristmas.com to be very inspiring. http://christmasplanner.com/make-christmas-planner
If you want to make a book too, here are some format ideas http://christmasplanner.com/make-chr...otebook-format
I plan to decorate some manila dividers with snowflakes and holly as a cover, and will fill in with print-outs and personal touches.

For some fun
http://www.new-age.co.uk/advent-calendar-17.htm
Yule hearts http://haabet.dk/users/julehjerter/making.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm agnostic with pagan leanings. Dh was raised Jewish but doesn't do temple. Early on we decided the kids would have no organized religion in their lives. That said, we found that kids need ritual and tradition to feel loved and safe.

We invented a winter party called "soup and solstice". Whoever's intown of our friends gets to to stop by and have lovely soups with us . As you come in the door you put your best foot forward or "leap" over the threshold for good luck. I have a "yule" log on the fire and if you go out back there's a bonfire with a pile of evergreen nearby... you place in a branch or two and "burn away" the troubles of the old year. Eat, drink and be merry is the easy part of the evening. One year I had a fire juggler. Very cool.

I'm so looking forward to this year. Doing soup makes it easy. I set up the crock pots in the morning. Clean house, set up fresh flowers. An hour before, I start the fires. It's usually a great evening.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds really terrific. What kinds of soups do you do?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 PM

I have two basics; chicken with rice and beef stew. I vary the vegetarian choices each year... mushroom, tomato, potato or seafood chowder. Generally, I have five crockpots full. Two that are the old standbys, two veggie and one "experiment". My experiment last year was a smoked salmon chowder. It was down to pot lickins by the end of the evening... so I think it turned out all right.

I do have some breads, a veggie tray and a pie or two for dessert but nothing that has to be "fussed" over.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
We invented a winter party called "soup and solstice".
Love it!

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the folded hearts pattern!

I was thinking of making these just last week, and I didn't get to it.

The Soup and Solstice idea is great! Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:36 PM

:

Just subbing and lurking for the moment.

:

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 PM

Love the virtual advent calendar, Saphire! Here's a link to a nature-based one that I posted on the tribe thread.

We celebrate practically more days than not between Thanksgiving and Twelfth Night. I just love this time of year. :

Will post more when I get a chance. Thanks for the great thread!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Woohoo! :

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Solstice soup sounds heart warming! I am hosting a solstice party for our Women of Spirit group (UU church) and am looking for a small gift to give. The Snowman Soup is so fun.

Great thread

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 11-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Ok so talk to this newbie like she's stupid.
I'm googling like a madwoman but can't seem to put it together for myself..
When does Yule "start" and when is it "over"? It's twelve days, and I know it's at the time of the Solstice...right? But does it start on the solstice or is it over on the solstice? Or am I going in the wrong direction altogether?

Thanks. Don't make fun of me please...haha

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 PM

It starts on the Solstice and goes fwd 12days. (I believe) We don't usually do the 12 days though.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I enjoy the longest night before the solstice, which will be Dec 20th this year, then the 21st is the solstice. I haven't done the twelve days in the past, I guess I need to learn more.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Hi all! I'm gearing up for the Winter Solstice- I should be cleaning right now! I'm hoping to have a small party on the 21st. Also, I want to make a pagany advent wreath- or a advent sunwheel.

Quote:
We invented a winter party called "soup and solstice". Whoever's intown of our friends gets to to stop by and have lovely soups with us . As you come in the door you put your best foot forward or "leap" over the threshold for good luck. I have a "yule" log on the fire and if you go out back there's a bonfire with a pile of evergreen nearby... you place in a branch or two and "burn away" the troubles of the old year. Eat, drink and be merry is the easy part of the evening. One year I had a fire juggler. Very cool.
Sounds great! Fire fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanna_Mama View Post
Love the virtual advent calendar, Saphire! Here's a link to a nature-based one that I posted on the tribe thread.
Oooo- where is the link? It sounds interesting....

Thanks for starting this, saphire!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks
That might be nice for us actually, to celebrate the Solstice just us and then my IL's descend on us for the holidays on the 23rd. But they aren't really religious either, so it's mostly just eating and enjoying their company for a few days.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Oooo- where is the link? It sounds interesting....

Thanks for starting this, saphire!
sorry about that! Here it is.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM

I love the idea of Soup & Solstice!

We celebrate both Yule and Christmas. My goal this year is to have all presents taken care of by Dec. 1 so I can focus on doing activities with my kids during the month, rather than running around trying to get everything done.

Getting close! I have just a few more gifts to find or make, and plans with my sister to head out on Black Friday for a shopping adventure. Should be interesting.

After that, it's all cookie making, crafting, game playing, music making, and fire building.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 PM

Subbin'

Crazy at work, back later.

Have to say I love "soup and solstice". Can I borrow the name? We do something similar and usually call it a Holiday Open House, but I like your name better.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM

I'm happy to share the idea and the name.:
Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
We invented a winter party called "soup and solstice".
philomom, I LOVE THIS! We so might have to steal this idea. I love the not fussing over stuff part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
I enjoy the longest night before the solstice, which will be Dec 20th this year, then the 21st is the solstice.
This is us also.

I'm thinking of doing our spiritual fest on the Sat, 20th. Friends soup and solstice on Sun 21st. And regular Christmas with friends and family on the 25th.

Last year was our first year celebrating solstice and I just loved it! I got so many great ideas from this group and I have a few more I want to use for this year. Last year's meal was Roasted Duck, Sausage-Apple-Cranberry stuffing (drool), broccoli, homemade rosemary rolls, and honey butter. I also smudge the house on this day. We spend the evening in the dark with only the light of candles to honor the dark during the darkest day of the year. After dinner we went outside and sit by the fire and burn the yule log (which is the trunk of last years tree). I read stories and we talk about the dark and stare at the fire. The day after we like to go on a hike or at the very least a drive through the mountains to welcome the light.

New things for this year:
- Decorate the Yule Log ahead of time with symbols
- Find songs to sing around the fire and maybe a book
- Prayer or poem before the meal
- Hot cider or mead by the fire
- Do a Yule herb mixture to toss in the fire

-Rachel

Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Love this idea It's summer solstice for us down here, but I'm so doing this for Yule next year!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 PM

Subbing

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Cari, I think Soup and Solstice can work either way. Maybe you'll just do a gazpacho? :

I went to the craft store for wintery embellishments and forgot the manilla folders, dangit. Now I'm just going to dig around here for something else to use.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 PM

I just told my daughter about the Soup and Solstice idea and she LOVED it. She and her brother will be at my ex's on the Solstice but we are going to fudge it a bit and do it earlier.

Fun fun fun.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
Cari, I think Soup and Solstice can work either way. Maybe you'll just do a gazpacho? :
Or I could do Salad & solstice because it's SO hot here at that time that we could really just LIVE on salads

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM

I'm totally stealing soup & solstice. We make homemade chowder every yule in our family!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Yes salads here too dont know what we are going to do, we might have a party this year. If we do it will be an out door bbq, but it depends if we can get the garden organised, my DH has fish ponds every where so there is not much room. If not we will be just doing a little thing for the three of us, we might go up to kings park and have a picknik over looking the city, or go down to freeo beach and watch the sun set over the ocean and have fish and chips (well Dh will, i will have chips and salad)
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM

:

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 AM

We are going to do a totally traditional solstice: Eat 'till we drop : and light a lot of candles and have a bonfire. I was researching and found out that pork is the traditional solstice meal in this area, so I think I'll make that.
Last year I planned a big meal and presents for the kids and then DH and the girls were sick so I ended up serving toasted bread and lemoncurd while they were laying in bed. I hope it'll be better this year.

We will do a totally non-religious xmas with the IL's on the 24th-25th.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Or I could do Salad & solstice because it's SO hot here at that time that we could really just LIVE on salads

Okay... now your just bragging!

good witch

User Tag List