December Pagan Families Circle - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Quick update: Spent over 5 hrs in the hospital today. Ds wouldn't stop vomiting. Got dehydrated. Had to get iv fluids and meds.

Home now but I'm starting to get an upset tummy.

At this rate, the tree won't go up until xmas eve.
Oh my! You and ds have certainly had more than your fair share of stress, illnesses and injuries. I hope things will sail a little smoother from here on out. Poor mama.

Yule was mostly nice on our side. Except for the monster blow out DP and I had early in the day on Soltice Eve. I think the bright side of it is that we are just working hard at processing and dealing with our issues. Sometimes, part of being real, is to admit when we're really p!ssed (and really hurt). Anyway, things were better after, and we did manage to have a peaceful night and a fun, relaxing Solstice. It's been storming (rain, thunder & lightning) off and on here for 3 days. We've been hunkering down and relaxing. We did manage to time things right to have outside fires both nights. :

Solstice morning I did such a beautiful, emotional meditation/visualization just as the sun was about to return. I'm going to write it out in the beginning of a new journal. I've been waiting for 6 months or so to have something special to start it off with, and now I have it!

Here's to the journey back to the sun and also the balance of recognizing and honoring the shadow.

Peace

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 03:52 PM

I am so sad today. we have decided to get rid of our kitten. he keeps peeing and pooping all over the house and we cant get him to stop. he was a wild stray we took in. he was born in aug so he is still little. i found 3 places in the house where he has been peeing on the wall and the paper is peeling. also he peed in DD's highchair. then after i got the cover clean (about 2 days later) he peed and pooped in it. what! i dont know what to do anymore. DH wants to take him out to a friends house who has outside cats but it will be so cold tonight. like -25 with wind. i cant do it but DH says if we take him to a shelter they will put him down b/c he wont use a litter box.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View Post

Here's to the journey back to the sun and also the balance of recognizing and honoring the shadow.

Peace
Amen to that! We had outside fire too- they are magical!

DOK~ Many good health vibes to your household!

Leilamus~ your solstice sounds wonderful!!!

Our snow here kept us from going out as planned and anyone from going here, but we had a nice family celebration. I wrote about it here--> blog

Still snowing...I have not been able to get to the library to get the next book the the series I'm reading. So, decided to take the plunge and start the Twilight series (a friend gave me all her copies of the books). Now if only I could stay in bed all day and read!

Clay~ I must read the Dark Is Rising series! So you think they would be o.k. for an 8 year old? We read The Boggart by the same author and enjoyed it a lot.

Take care!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM

Hi everyone- I hope all of you had at least a few moments during the solstice that were peaceful and lovely.
We're still enjoying the snow and quiet time here, I'll check in periodically.

: to all of you
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM

Dark is Rising- although a lot depends on the kiddo, an 8 year old would probably be fine. I'd say that Lion/Witch/Wardrobe has more violence and possibly more "mature" elements of betrayal and sacrifice. Maybe closer to the first Harry Potter book (since the main character Will learns that he "isn't a normal kid"... though in his case it isn't such a great thing as it is for Harry. Being an Old One isn't fun and games, and Will has a loving and supportive family and a happy life that is suddenly a bit lost to him)?

The Rider is scary, there are themes of betrayal in the character of the Walker, the Dark is scary too in a very clear cut "bad guy" sort of way. And I remember Herne the Hunter kind of freaking me out a bit when I first read the book. But overall it's no scarier than the classic british isles mythic histories. There's a constant theme of responsibility and choice.... that with power comes responsibility, that posession of power doesn't mean you should use that power, and that ultimately each individual is responsible for how they respond to a situation.

The different books in the series blend two seperate groups of characters. Well, three groups maybe. There are three siblings who feature in Under Sea, Over Stone and GreenWitch. These three are mortal but their "uncle" is Merriman. Then there is Will Stanton, youngest and last of the Old Ones... Merriman is his mentor. And then there is Bran who we meet in the Grey King and Merriman's relationship to him is complex and would give away a major plot point so I ain't a gonna say! The three themes get blended together so that by the final book (Silver on the Tree) all the different characters are working together (three from the circle, three from the track).

Techincally Under Sea, Over Stone is the first book in the series, and it's a bit more "gentle" than the other books so if Dark is too scary perhaps backtrack to Under Sea?

(picture books... I haven't read them, just flipped through them in the bookstore before I had kiddos. I remember the art was really pretty and since I plan on giving the girls a really strong background in mythic history those and the Barefoot books will probably find their way into our home sooner rather than later.)

DoK- hope you're all feeling better today

femme- DH and I had a blow up on Solstice Eve too. There's just something about the holidays, I dunno. So far this year DH and I have fought right before every single blankety blank holiday! We make up quickly, but it's becoming something of a joke. I'm glad you had a good solstice.

Winter- BRrrrrrr! It's in the single digits and I don't know the windchill... but the wind is chucking things around the yard and sucking the heat out the walls of the house. It's a very wintery day!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Clay~ I must read the Dark Is Rising series! So you think they would be o.k. for an 8 year old?
i didn't know there were any others by this author, but this one seems to stand alone without having read a prequel. i wonder if i should have read the one before it?

that said, i'm not that enamored of it. it's alright. not great (sorry, wombat). but i think i'm about halfway through, and i haven't read anything that i wouldn't read to ds. he and i are most of the way through Harry Potter 5, and i think that is way "scarier" in many ways. and he's not raised an eyebrow at that one.

HTH!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 AM

s DoK Hope your little one is feeling well soon

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Well after crazy winds, cold and snow today is supposed to warm up. I plan to take the girls to the library- they are going a bit nuts. We would love to go for a walk but brrrr. Tomorrow they are calling for rain- how crazy is that?

Cari- *hugs*

DOK- how are you and ds? Did his cast come off? sending healing!
(I'm sitting here debating ds and you or you and ds. *laughs* eh, need some coffee)

DD has just today and then she is off for over a week- : super happy Mommy- won't have to bundle to take her to the bus.

Everyone have a safe, happy and healthy New Year! I will be on and off for the next week

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ds is all better. Cast is off and all is well! :

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ds is all better. Cast is off and all is well! :
YAY!! one thing down. how's his tummy? and his eyes?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

He's ok. Just tired and grumpy today.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM

I just want to say thank you to everyone who sent the yule/solstice cards. I have had a really hard and trying year. I will take this love with me, and remember all the kind words, thoughts, and intentions. Thank you for welcoming me.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM

yes, that! i got such a gorgeous collection of cards and i feel so loved! i love you guys. i really do (and no, i'm not sloppy drunk like in the movies )

where are y'all? it's so quiet! is it because everyone's away at some relative's house?

i'm LOVING this staying home. i'm so glad we decided to do this. : but i think it really helped that my mom came last week to gear up the season and have christmas with her a little early. maybe we'll go to her house next year, but early again. i like this holidaying all week!

oh...i'm changing my username soon...shall i sneak on and see if y'all recognize me by my writing?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 PM

I am on, more reading than responding- taking time to craft and knit. :

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

I think it usually gets really quiet the closer we get to Christmas.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Hello mamas, hope you all had a nice solstice & that the rest of your holiday season is good as well. Today Jon had surgery to have a tracheostomy & a gtube put in. He seemed much more comfortable when we saw him and that was just an hour after the operations. The nurse told me she'd 'go get a cuppa coffee' when I asked her how to get permission to take a photo of him (I really wanted a decent close up shot & not a hastily taken pic with a cell phone ya know?), which I thought was nice of her I'm mailing it to his dad so he can see how much more comfortable he looks now.

It's looking like a morning road trip for me.. i have to drive to north florida (about an hour ish away) to have a look at the top choice hospital that has a spot for him. If all looks good, they really want to xfer him tomorrow afternoon so that they can get ALL teh staff in to meet him (and me as well). From what I understand I can stay then night when he's admitted, so I'll end up making 2 trips down there but won't come back till the next day. It kinda sucks because it will be hard for me to be there every day since it's that far but I'll be there every day I can until I have to go.

He had a few moments today where there was definitely 'expression' behind those eyes today. They didn't last long, but it's a huge improvement over last week! His nurse was pretty pleased, and the nurse today is a bit of a stiff upper lip kinda lady, so that's saying something I think Keep those good healing vibes coming mamas, I have a feeling he's trying to push past the fog and come back to us.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I think it usually gets really quiet the closer we get to Christmas.
pretty funny for a buncha Pagans
well, weird for me since i'm home for a change. usually we're visiting somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Keep those good healing vibes coming mamas, I have a feeling he's trying to push past the fog and come back to us.
YAY! i'm so glad for you. and for him. why does he have to be transferred? did i miss that part?

i'm NOT looking forward to tomorrow night where i have to "help" Santa bring in the huge-arse punching bag from the shed, probably in the rain but i have to say, i hope the expression on ds's face is worth it! i hope he likes it! he didn't say what he wanted from Santa this year. he was utterly indecisive the whole season. so he got a boxing bag and a martial arts uniform. i think they're pretty cool!
not to mention a TON of other stuff from Mama i asked him last week if he thinks Santa shops at Goodwill he knows Mama sure does

Old 12-24-2008, 02:08 AM
gun

Hello all!

More snow here, some freezing rain too. Blech! I am getting cabin fever and having daydreams about some tropic isle.

Getting geared up for hanging with family for the next few days. Sometimes you just need to fortify yourself! I am looking forward to watching The Christmas Story yet again, and I hope everyone has a nice xmas!

Cari - so pleased to hear that DS is perking up and seems more comfy!

Mercyn - that sounds like a fun gift!

Peace- Heather
Old 12-24-2008, 03:47 AM

Cari- so glad to hear the good news! i hope he keeps improving.

much love to all
Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Cari- Hoping for some major breakthrough today!

Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

January thread is HERE!

User Tag List