January 09! Pagan circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's good to "see" more people back : Welcome Mom2Ian

I haven't done much this morning, but finally have a car today. Dh's car has had a flat & doesn't do well in the snow= housebound me and kids.

Imbolc- I have some plans to felt a Brigid goddess for my alter. I'll get some new candles too. I'm also going to make some more wooden animals for the family alter/nature table. Baby lambs, bunnies, and chickies, oh my!

Maiasauara- a chinook is a warm wind that blows in quickly and melts the snow. It warmed up from below freezing Tues night, to all our snow gone when we woke up Wed morning, it was almost 60* yesterday and is supposed to be that warm again today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Spring-like weather here, too. So, thinking has turned to Imbolc for me as well. I ♥ Brigit :-) Your altar critters are such a lovely idea, Saphire.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#123 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM

who was it that posted the decorating for the moons and months during camp? i guess i could go back and look thru all 5 million pages of camp and see.... anyhow-- i'm putting them together into one doc so i am sure to use them this year, and i'm loving it! : so kisses to you, whomever it was!

oh, and if anyone is longing for a fun crafting thing, my nifty difty witchey calendar mom gave me for christmas tells me that january we're supposed to make a shrine to hestia and put a little house in it and little figures of the family and pets... so ds and i are working on a stick and thread house (i'm using my threads and bits from last year that i'd saved in my jar) and then little us with twigs and strings i guess.... anyhow, it's really fun!
#124 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
oh, and if anyone is longing for a fun crafting thing, my nifty difty witchey calendar mom gave me for christmas tells me that january we're supposed to make a shrine to hestia and put a little house in it and little figures of the family and pets... so ds and i are working on a stick and thread house (i'm using my threads and bits from last year that i'd saved in my jar) and then little us with twigs and strings i guess.... anyhow, it's really fun!
LOVE that idea, m'dear! Thank you!!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

#125 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What a good idea! I'll have to see if I have anything I can make this out of.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#126 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM

heehee. oh, and you're supposed to put a white pillar candle in the shrine too. "supposed to"... whatever. but my monthly thing also says white for january, so there ya go.

(i know, i know i should be catching up now, but this is too much fun. )
#127 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
heehee. oh, and you're supposed to put a white pillar candle in the shrine too. "supposed to"... whatever. but my monthly thing also says white for january, so there ya go.

(i know, i know i should be catching up now, but this is too much fun. )
The only thing I'm SURE I have is a white pillar candle, so that works out well for me.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
#128 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I guess I didn't hit submit on my post earlier : I am pretty sure I am fully awake now though I exercised, showered and have had breakfast. Next up is doing the dishes left from yesterday.

The house building idea sounds really cool. I don't have anything to really build a house right now. I am seriously lacking in the arts and crafts department.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#129 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Goodness, you're all a chatty bunch today.
I was at Barnes & Noble today and browsed through the 'New Age' section. I haven't been through that section in years.
It all seems so....hokey. Am I alone in that thought? Wonder if it has anything to do with the how long I've been pagan.
Or maybe I'm starting to move away from paganism. Ack, can it be?!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#130 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Imbolc: here we're far from spring-y weather : but I'm thinking about buying candles (DH have told me I can splurge and purchase a big bee's wax pillar ) and I'll ask someone who has sheeps if we can go and visit. To stay in the *Ewe* theme, I'm planning on having ewe's cheese on the table and I should have get my carded wool by then so I'll play with it.

Closer in time, I'm thinking of doing a small ritual for the Full Moon. : Cleanse with salt, go out and lit a candle, have a little talk with the Moon, hang my goddess pendant to recharge and hum... get back inside, by the fireplace, to *celebrate* with DH.

Valérie   
#131 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Goodness, you're all a chatty bunch today.
I was at Barnes & Noble today and browsed through the 'New Age' section. I haven't been through that section in years.
It all seems so....hokey. Am I alone in that thought? Wonder if it has anything to do with the how long I've been pagan.
Or maybe I'm starting to move away from paganism. Ack, can it be?!
I think some of it is hokey too. :Sometimes I just think there is way more there than there used to be (which I guess is a good thing) but I sometimes find it more difficult lately to find things that I resonate with...if that makes sense LOL
#132 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Ian View Post
Mind if I join you??
: Welcome, the more the merrier! :

Quote:
It all seems so....hokey. Am I alone in that thought?
No you aren't alone, it's definitely hokey. The entire section consists of a million & 1 'wicca 101' books it seems I don't think it's that YOU are moving away from paganism.. I think pagan publishers are putting out books that appeal to the fluffier segment of readers, even moreso than they did in the past. I flipped through a few when I was in the US and honestly, they all seemed to be the same thing again and again I was amazed that I was in the land of cheap books (pagan books are pricy here!) and didn't find a THING that I really wanted to bring back with me!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#133 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Hey ladies been browsing through the thread and it all looks/ sounds wonderful. But I guess I don't know much about what ya'll are talking about. Is there a 101 book? I would love to have more celebration and ritual in our lives!!
#134 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM

*sigh* I wish I hadn't gone to bed early last night. I had intended to call the hospital during their morning so I could find out if Jon's xfer was going to happen today, but I was tired so I went to bed around 5am easter time. I called this morning (afternoon there) and he's already gone to Sheperd. And try as I may I cannot get ANY contact details.. I called and got the extension for his case manager there, but it's a disconnected number : I've left a msg on his grandpa Sam's cell and I'll try him in a couple of hours in case he's driving or something. I'm not a happy camper now :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#135 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Oh Cari! Hang in there! I hope they get the contact info to you soon.

Welcome Mom2Ian and mama mich! We're super chatty and there are a TON of pagan mama camp threads if you run out of things to read. (camp threads- summer 2007, summer 2008, and a big Yule Camp 2008... though there are smaller mini-camps here too). There are lots of pagan 101 resources out there (my fav family books are Celebrating the Great Mother and Circle Round, my fav personal books are Be a Goddess and Spiral Dance, and Cooking Like a Goddess is a fun pagan cookbook that includes seasonal rituals and meditations) but there is also an mdc specific thread for pagan resources that is great reading!

Imbolc- ack! Ice storms and feet of snow, single digit temps and wacky winds. We'll probably plant wish seeds and have a meal (from my fav goddess cookbook) with lots of irish traditional foods. But given my all day hurling, food planning is not my friend right now. A few more weeks and I'll be good... I'm sure I'll try to work some sort of pregnancy element into my Imbolc beads.

Maiasaura- a Chinook is a warm wind that comes in the winter. The wind is really warm and kind of damp and it can melt through a solid foot or more of snow in just a day. It usually doesn't last though. The only sort of botana I know is kind of like a... well, like a snack tray? Little Mexican finger foods all set out on a tray with some dips. Some of the local shops sell them at SuperBowl. But I don't know... there are probably other things with that name.

Ok, how weird is it that I now want mexican food? I've been turning green at the scent of apples and pretzles, can't keep down water, but the thought of spicy burritos and tamale? Mmmmmmm. Sigh. Hormones are wacky things!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#136 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM

Clay- My last pregnancy had me sleeping for all day, throwing up with just the mention of food (minus cherry fruit cocktail, weird huh?) for two weeks and the poof, all better. It was rather gross. Dh had to put the girls in daycare for 2wks cause I was unable to do anything. I hope you find something that you can eat!

I am leaning towards baking for Imbolic. Cake? I am so in a decadent cake mood. I am thinking cleansing, clearing and calming...feeling off in general. I am moving furniture and buying a desk and tv unit. In the end it will feel good, look good and really keep clutter under control. In fact, this was a goal for camp and I didn't get to it. I purchased a pretty fern pencil holder off etsy. I plan to hang my greenman (finally got it framed) in my work space.
I need a lamp, new candle and maybe a rug. : I am so happy about having my own space. I will also have a shelf for a mini altar.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#137 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM

ok, the boy is sleeping and i finallllllly got pics loaded-- long over due, but i just HAD to share this amazing shot i took of the sun on the solstice... and here's a wild weaving we did on our trip, and here's a forest home we made (we made oodles of them but i'm just posting the one, lol).... there are a couple other fun shots in that album, including what is i think my fave ever pic of our family...

off to do yet more laundry.......
#138 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Oh mamas, I am exhausted. I cleaned the office/den/laundry room today and unpacked all sorts of things, purged other things. I also reorganized the towel/art/first aid/board game closet cause I had to fit all the board games in there. I washed all the pots today too and vacuumed again cause of tape and unpacking gunk.

The good news about doing all of this: the day flies on by and the areas I am doing this look much nicer. Now, to make it last.

I still have to do Pilates later *faints*

Oh and because I am a scatterbrain:

WELCOME Mom2Ian!

#139 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Bella! Oh my goodness woman! Would you like to come for a visit? I managed to scrape some dried play dough off the rug and thought I was ahead of the game!

I just had sweet potato fries and salsa and so far so good. Though I had to call DH at work and ask him to come home a bit early (he got in at 6pm, early for him)... I was just soooooo sick, and Rowan was trying to take care of me in a really adorable 19mo way. Which is to watch mama be sick, and then run off to fetch a half chewed pretzel and try to stuff it in mama's mouth saying "mama! bite! likkl bite!". Adorable, loving, but oh so not what a sick mama wants shoved into her mouth.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#140 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
gun

Maiasaura - In my area a botana is a nacho made with chorizo, beans, onions, olives, avocado, cheese, tomatoes. We use 'soyrizo' for our homemade version and really can eat a ton! :

Aweynsayl - love the forest home pic! I am anxious for the snow to hit the road so we can do more of that type of stuff.

Clay - I hope this passes soon for you!

About 'the calendar', my DH bought me one at the local B&N and the sales clerk was a very young goth girl who gave him the snob for buying such fluffy crap! Whatever, I like it and I get one every year. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way though. And the pagan section is so full of love spells it is freaky!

Peace- Heather
#141 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun;12947337

About [B
'the calendar'[/B], my DH bought me one at the local B&N and the sales clerk was a very young goth girl who gave him the snob for buying such fluffy crap! Whatever, I like it and I get one every year. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way though. And the pagan section is so full of love spells it is freaky!
Which calendar is that? I used to get the Witches datebook every year and I loved that it had the moons/sabbats and other festivals already in place. It also had great little blurbs about all sorts of stuff, as well as recipes : I'd consider the source when it comes to the looks at the cash register.. she's probably like my second son and has (he says this, I kid you not) '15yrs of superior life experience'

Aweyn, lovely pics! I have never been able to get a photo of the moon to come out for beans, I'm jealous The weaving & little homes are so neat

Being the 'altar' lovin' mama that I am.. I'm thinking I need to find a little spot somewhere to build a healing altar for Jonathan. More some place for me to focus my energy to help him from afar : Must get a recent pic printed out and framed to start with.. and find a safe spot somewhere that I can do this (safe from small boys of course, who like to make off with stuff)

And in other, less fun news.. I have to go to my annual appt with my gp for the most unbeloved of all tests *sigh* So I'll probably be all crampy & miserable at least till tomorrow afternoon.. I know there's a tea you can make to help with crampyness but can't remember what it is.. is it raspberry leaf? (wait that's the one for labour I think.. someone enlighten me so I can hit the handy healthfood/ alt medicine shop ont he way home )

#142 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 PM
gun

Yes, Cari, it is the Witches calendar. Such pretty art. It also got me thinking, why is there such elitism on the pagan path?

Peace- Heather
#143 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 PM

Cari- I love the idea of a healing altar.

I have a weird headache. It's on the left side of my head and feels like there's so much pressure in there. Even my eye ball feels like it's bulging. I was also very grumpy today so I wonder if it's just hormonal (ovulation?)

Gotta go finish watching Ugly Betty.

#144 of 549 Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
Yes, Cari, it is the Witches calendar. Such pretty art. It also got me thinking, why is there such elitism on the pagan path?
Well, if he'd have bought it at a pagan/new age shop It might have been elitism.. but from a B&N it was more likely a case of a very mainstream teen with a snooty tude (ya know what I mean.. oh loook this guy thinks he's a WITCH OOOhh ) I always enjoyed my little datebook (don't think I ever got the wall calendar though) and I'd still be buying it if they printed some for us southern hemisphere dwellers

Quote:
Cari- I love the idea of a healing altar.

I have a weird headache. It's on the left side of my head and feels like there's so much pressure in there. Even my eye ball feels like it's bulging. I was also very grumpy today so I wonder if it's just hormonal (ovulation?)
I'm such an altar geek that I'm sure y'all just knew I'd have to do one didn't ya? I figured it's pretty obvious that I'll be incredibly focused on him during all this, so it made sense to have a place to focus all that energy & thought. If anyone comes up with anything that would be a good addition just let me know.. I'm a bit scattered so It'll probably take me ages to actually put it together :

Hope your head feels a bit better DOK.. I always get a cloth and dunk it in ice water, wring out & plop that on my head and hide out in a cool dark room for a while. I'm a migraine sufferer so I totally empathize with feeling like your head might pop wide open

#145 of 549 Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM

I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach. I really hope I'm not getting sick.
Going to bed.

Til tomorrow, then.

#146 of 549 Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
gun

G'night DoK. Hope the headache leaves soon!

Cari - you are totally right about a teen with a tude!

Peace- Heather
#147 of 549 Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 AM

What do you all listen to, as far as pagan music? It's really easy as a Christian to find a million different kinds of inspirational/devotional music, for every taste, for every occasion, for every mood...

I found some goddess chant that I really loved, and it really makes me wish I had more.

#148 of 549 Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
What do you all listen to, as far as pagan music? It's really easy as a Christian to find a million different kinds of inspirational/devotional music, for every taste, for every occasion, for every mood...

I found some goddess chant that I really loved, and it really makes me wish I had more.
These guys are one of my favorites, they're an Australian band called 'Spiral Dance'.

#149 of 549 Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 AM

Well, I have my AAMI stuff ready to go out tomorrow and I am really nervous. I sorta have the urge to cry and its not from anything bad. I think I am still in shock that this is actually happening.

#150 of 549 Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 AM

Just popping in to catch up and say goodnight

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page