Theologically liberal Christians - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 182 Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SuzukiMom, I need to order the Misquoting Jesus book. I saw it when I was surfing around on Amazon one day, but haven't actually looked at it yet. It sounds very interesting.

The book I'm reading right now is Discovering the Power within You by Eric Butterworth. It has been so good. He talks about the religion OF Jesus as opposed the religion ABOUT Jesus. It's been very interesting.
#62 of 182 Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Hi all. Would you mind defining what theologically liberal means? Is it the same as morally liberal?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#63 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Suzukimom, thanks for the perspective! So helpful!

mama*pisces- hi, and congratulations on your pregnancy! Thanks for sharing your story!

ReadingMama- as for a definition- there was a thread started around the time of the election for "liberal Christians" and in the discussion there some people said they were politically liberal but theologically conservative, so when I posted this thread I was looking for some discussion with theologically liberal, leaving politics aside. To me, theologically liberal Christians do not place a strong emphasis on "accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior if you want to go to heaven" nor is there emphasis on the end times. There is an open-mindedness and sense of respect when it comes to other religions and what can be learned from people who practice other religions. To me it doesn't have anything to do with morals. (Although to others it may!) Also, to me, as a "liberal" Christian, I believe God loves every single person, even the most dastardly person you can imagine. I think Jesus' teachings are about the inclusiveness of God, as well as the pointlessness of RELIGION. I am seeking to know God more, to go deeper in my relationship with God, and I happen to be a Christian and don't want to give up on that faith, even though I disagree with people at the church where I'm attending. Just my thoughts trying to answer your question!

Also, I think it has to do with accepting others' beliefs and viewpoints with regards to who Jesus is/was, what the Bible is, etc. And, in the end, the "conservatives" might be "right" but I believe in a God who is ok with me being wrong!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#64 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonash View Post
SuzukiMom, I need to order the Misquoting Jesus book. I saw it when I was surfing around on Amazon one day, but haven't actually looked at it yet. It sounds very interesting.

The book I'm reading right now is Discovering the Power within You by Eric Butterworth. It has been so good. He talks about the religion OF Jesus as opposed the religion ABOUT Jesus. It's been very interesting.
That book sounds interesting! I just read "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and he opened up a lot of Jesus' teachings for me!! I liked it.

#65 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post
Hi all. Would you mind defining what theologically liberal means? Is it the same as morally liberal?
I wouldn't descibe myself as morally liberal... unless you mean accepting others? I don't judge people who have sex before marriage, or practice other faiths etc. My own morals are my own. Besides, everyone creates their own morals, whether they create them based on what a church/book/leader tells them to base them on, or whether they are based on a more inward set of guidelines, or a mix of both.

Also, perhaps being theologically liberal means that we scrutinize our morals very carefully because we've taken it as our own burden. I don't let someone else tell me what is right or wrong, I pray, meditate and deconstruct everything before I decide if it is a moral issue.

Just my rambly two cents.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#66 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 AM

I am late to the party - I promise to go back and read the whole thread...but I wanted to say. . .
:: I am so glad this thread exists. I was always pretty ok with being an "odd Christian" but since my boys have come along and they are getting older and building their own creeds I think about this topic so much.

Ok, back to read the thread.
#67 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Oooh, I loved A New Earth too! I really like Eckart Tolle. When I first read it, I didn't think a lot about it because I had seen the information before just in different form. But when I watched the online classes he did on Oprah, it really was great for me. I think I needed to see it discussed. I want to go back and read it again.

Defining theologically liberal: Hmmm. I thought that would be easy, but it's actually not LOL. I think others have put it very well with regard to morals. What one person thinks is morally liberal, another may not. What's one person's heaven may be another's hell. For me theologically liberal means that I do not think one has to claim Jesus as THE son of God to go to heaven. I do not believe in a literal fire and brimstone hell. I think that eventually, all souls find their way to heaven. I don't think that God is something outside of us with an ego who wants to be worshipped. I think that God is in everything and everyone. (Now tell that to my behavior when I don't really like someone else). I only loosely use "Christian" in describing myself, because the most accepted definition of the term today means accepting him as the only savior and way into heaven. But I define the word differently based on Christian meaning "Christ-like," in other words seeking Christ consciousness. I do think he was a great teacher and had a lot to offer in showing us the way to heaven (which I believe is within and not without) and that he recognized his Christ-consciousness, Buddha nature, whatever you want to call it, and urged everyone else to do the same. Thus "Christ-ian" or "Christ-like" and finding the Christ within. I grew up in Christianity (Methodist) and it's stories are what I know. I do resonate quite a lot with Buddhism as well. Clear as mud I'm sure; always is when it comes to trying to label spirituality.

Anyone here read anything by Joseph Campbell? I've got Thou Art That on my list of stuff to read; DH said it was good.
#68 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonash View Post
For me theologically liberal means that I do not think one has to claim Jesus as THE son of God to go to heaven. I do not believe in a literal fire and brimstone hell. I think that eventually, all souls find their way to heaven. I don't think that God is something outside of us with an ego who wants to be worshipped. I think that God is in everything and everyone. (Now tell that to my behavior when I don't really like someone else). I only loosely use "Christian" in describing myself, because the most accepted definition of the term today means accepting him as the only savior and way into heaven. But I define the word differently based on Christian meaning "Christ-like," in other words seeking Christ consciousness. I do think he was a great teacher and had a lot to offer in showing us the way to heaven (which I believe is within and not without) and that he recognized his Christ-consciousness, Buddha nature, whatever you want to call it, and urged everyone else to do the same. Thus "Christ-ian" or "Christ-like" and finding the Christ within. I grew up in Christianity (Methodist) and it's stories are what I know. I do resonate quite a lot with Buddhism as well. Clear as mud I'm sure; always is when it comes to trying to label spirituality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsmom View Post
To me, theologically liberal Christians do not place a strong emphasis on "accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior if you want to go to heaven" nor is there emphasis on the end times. There is an open-mindedness and sense of respect when it comes to other religions and what can be learned from people who practice other religions. To me it doesn't have anything to do with morals. (Although to others it may!) Also, to me, as a "liberal" Christian, I believe God loves every single person, even the most dastardly person you can imagine. I think Jesus' teachings are about the inclusiveness of God, as well as the pointlessness of RELIGION. I am seeking to know God more, to go deeper in my relationship with God, and I happen to be a Christian and don't want to give up on that faith, even though I disagree with people at the church where I'm attending.
Also, I think it has to do with accepting others' beliefs and viewpoints with regards to who Jesus is/was, what the Bible is, etc. And, in the end, the "conservatives" might be "right" but I believe in a God who is ok with me being wrong!
Yes and Yes!!! : I wish we could make our own church where we could meditate and pray together, as well as study the books about the life and works of Jesus, without necessarily reading from the Bible. That would be great!

I feel like I'm on a mission to find my 'spiritual place' now. lol I read Conversations with God, and that filled a big void for me for a while, and I just continued on with life thinking that I didn't need church, I did talk to God all the time and I felt that he spoke to me as well through various subtleties, so what was the point of church? But now I'm starting to feel differently, maybe because we have a growing family and I want my family to have a sense of community and belonging, as well as a "spiritual education."

I'm very tempted to attend my local UU church -- I was checking out their site and I realized that I think I even know the childcare care provider there -- seemed to me like a sign that we should go! lol DH is not going to be happy about this suggestion, but what I'm planning is telling him is that I would like to switch off weeks to at least give this a chance. So two weeks out of the month we'll go to whatever Christian Church he wants to go to(we're kinda inbetween churches right now) and the other two weeks we'll go to UU church.

Haha - wish me luck with that. I've gotta go turn on the inauguration now!! : Woot!!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#69 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsmom View Post
That book sounds interesting! I just read "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and he opened up a lot of Jesus' teachings for me!! I liked it.
I'm reading "A New Earth" too! I have a third of the book left to read. I can only process a bit at a time. I like how he integrates the teachings of different religions.
#70 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM

To me, a term like "theologically liberal" is confusing because it is, so to speak, mixing metaphors. It applies a political term (liberal) to something outside of politics (spirituality) and then tries to decide what kind of theology is "liberal" and what kind is "conservative." I don't mean to hold up the discussion, but to me it is a meaningless distinction.
#71 of 182 Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
To me, a term like "theologically liberal" is confusing because it is, so to speak, mixing metaphors. It applies a political term (liberal) to something outside of politics (spirituality) and then tries to decide what kind of theology is "liberal" and what kind is "conservative." I don't mean to hold up the discussion, but to me it is a meaningless distinction.
I disagree that "liberal" is an exclusively political word in regards to Christianity. I think people use it to differentiate from "Fundamentalist" Christians and to express the sense of "liberty", "freedom", etc. in theological beliefs.

Perhaps a better and more accurate word would be "heterodox" as opposed to "orthodox"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterodoxy

But, I don't really think my views are that heterodox, they seem to be fairly mainstream for many Episcopalians in the area I grew up. And, as many people have pointed out, there are many churches and denominations that promote or accept views that other branches of Christianity may view as wrong or even heretical.

Labels from the past in regards to the Established Church in the UK were:

* Dissenters

* Non-conformists

But, as I said, my beliefs do not dissent much from the bounds of my church - although I think that many of my beliefs descend from our dissenting and non-conforming fore-runners.

------
not quite to the point - but amusing on the topic of religious labels.

Then there's a funny thing that I remember from a book by Anthony Burgess. He wrote about recruits being inducted into the British army in WWII, a sergeant entered the hut where the group of new recruits were standing around. He said something like:

"OK, CE [Church of England] over here; RC [Roman Catholic] over there; and all the fancy buggers in the middle".
#72 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
There are a wealth of options out there. It sounds like you are part of a fairly evangelical church. They do tend to really emphasize the "personal relationship with Jesus" thing, and the end-times.

Many of the major Christian denominations think those things are important, but that they can be over emphasized or misapplied, which seems to be what you are saying.

You could try the belief-o-matic quiz; it looks at what you believe now and shows you what groups reflect that. It can give a place to start, anyway.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainme...iefOMatic.aspx

The only problem I have with that approach is it kind of assumes that you have all the answers already, whereas there can really be value in trying to understand how a set of beliefs work together. But it is an interesting exercise.
Wow. I had originally just skimmed this thread, decided to go back and read the whole thing just now, came upon your post and took the quiz. It said that I am: 100% UU. Now that is funny, since I am really considering going to check out the UU church near me. That's neat.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).

#73 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 AM

I checked wikipedia to see what their definition of a liberal Christian is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Christianity

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an individualistic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[2] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

I think the main thing is not being tied to dogma and the interpretation of Scripture is not based on inerrancy.

I may be liberal theologically but not in my morality.
#74 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a link with a discussion of liberal Christian.

I was going to cut and paste it, but it's pretty long.

I was thinking, though, that it would be nice to come up with another name for our little group. I'm not sure what it would be, though!

Any more thoughts on a book we could read together?

#75 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM

mama*pisces: Good luck with checking out the UU. I enjoyed the visit we made to one a few years ago. They were a mix off all sorts of beliefs.

Has anyone read Spong's Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism? I think I remember it being mentioned earlier in the thread, but not sure. I have the book, but it's part of a collection of books I've been amassing that I haven't read yet .
#76 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm down to read whatever! Should we take a vote or something?
Here are the books that have been mentioned in this thread:
Misquoting Jesus - Ehrman
The Bible - Armstrong
Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism
This Hebrew Lord
Born of a Woman
anything by Marcus Borg
Jesus Wants to Save Christians - Rob Bell
The Third Jesus - Chopra
Discovering the Power Within You - Eric Butterworth
A New Earth - Tolle
Thou Art That - campbell

I might have missed a few.
#77 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, SquishyBuggles! Very helpful to have them listed like that!!! They all sound good, and I'd be happy with whatever we decide. I'm going to vote for Born of a Woman.

#78 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
There is an Episcopal church in my area that I've been interested in. So I would just ask them if they are "realigning"?
The way I'd put it, when talking with the pastor, is, "I've heard there's some kind of realignment going on within the Episcopal church? Where does this parish stand on that?" Then you've put it in a neutral way and should get the full nuanced view--whereas if you say, "Are you realigning?" they may think you WANT to find a realigning parish.

It's funny, it's been such a big issue for Episcopalians here in Pittsburgh (our former bishop is now a leader of the American Anglicans or whatever they're called, and has taken 60% of the local parishes with him) but when I was in Philadelphia last fall and went to an Episcopal church there, the several people I chatted with at coffee hour knew absolutely nothing about the whole realignment idea!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#79 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM

I'm going to vote on Misquoting the Bible
#80 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post
I'm down to read whatever! Should we take a vote or something?
Here are the books that have been mentioned in this thread:
Misquoting Jesus - Ehrman
The Bible - Armstrong
Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism
This Hebrew Lord
Born of a Woman
anything by Marcus Borg
Jesus Wants to Save Christians - Rob Bell
The Third Jesus - Chopra
Discovering the Power Within You - Eric Butterworth
A New Earth - Tolle
Thou Art That - campbell

I might have missed a few.
I love to read, so I'm up for any of these. Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism sounds very interesting. Maybe we should just pick one to start with and work our way through them? Kind of an online book club?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#81 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post
I'm going to vote on Misquoting the Bible
I'm going to second this -- but I have to see if I can get it from the library, and I will try my hardest to keep up with you guys!! What do you think about doing a chapter a week type thing? Like I said, my first priority right now is reading birthing books, but i would hate to miss out on a discussion like this. These books sound great.

#82 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 PM

I third this-Misquoting Jesus.:lets dig in
#83 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM

I've read Misquoting Jesus but I'd love to discuss it. I think a chapter a week sounds good. I have other reading I'm trying to keep up with.

Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism and Born of Woman also sound good. Both are by Spong. I've only read his memoir so I'd like to learn more about his theology.

Off to the library website.
#84 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 PM

Should we keep going with the Frontline series? I haven't posted on it for a while. We could start a new thread or just discuss it here on this thread.
#85 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, they have it at my library, and there were tons in the library system, so I would guess you can get it, Mama Pisces. We understand your priority is birthing books, and we won't send you to the back of the class if you don't keep up. Ha ha ha! I have a nine month old, and I get to read IF she falls asleep at night before I run out of steam!

Are we going for it or waiting for a few more votes?

::: I'm looking forward to this!

#86 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 PM

Tons at my library too.
#87 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Suzukimom, I was kind of waiting for you to chime in, and as it turns out we were posting at the exact same time! Not surprising, since we read all the same books!!!

I will check out the next segments when I have a moment!! I'm learning how to build a website, too, so that's taking some time! Fun!

#88 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Misquoting Jesus sounds good to me. I don't think my library does have it (very small library and I don't remember seeing it), but I'll check. I think I'll just order it, so I don't have to worry about getting it back.

Thanks for the compiled list -- that's awesome. Now I have a list to draw from.
#89 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Can we start a week from Monday to give some of us time to get it and read the first chapter? My library is on the small side and they very rarely have any books I inquire about. I'll drive to another library if I have to and do my best to get it by next week.

#90 of 182 Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Shocker! My library does have it -- just checked. Awesome.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page