February Pagan Circle - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 554 Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our Ostara celebrations...

We start with opening a circle around our house, all the property, from each corner. We do this to help us with grace, creativity and luck! Each of my daughters take a direction, and I do one. Its a bit awkward since we live in such a Christian neighbourhood, but last year I don't think anyone even noticed us.
Then we have our egg hunt. For this we use plastic filled eggs and I fill them with little candies and chocolates. I hide about 60 eggs so there's lots for everyone!
This year we're going to make some faerie houses. I'm using shoeboxes, them filling them with pretties and shinies from the dollar store and around the house. We'll put a couple of cookie type snacks in them too. When we bring them into the forest, I'll hang them from some trees so the ground dwellers don't take from them.
I think we'll also do a scavenger hunt this year. My husband and I are pretty skilled at these, not that its hard! lol... but the girls LOVE them!
Traditionally I cook a ham. I make some breads, devilled eggs, veggies... I haven't thought much about the menu yet.
Last year my oldest daughter read a poem we found about spring and the Lucky Eostar Rabbitt. This year she'll prob do the same since she surprised herself by really enjoying it last year.
#542 of 554 Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM

shameless plug for the rainbowfarmschool

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#543 of 554 Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post
Our Ostara celebrations...

We start with opening a circle around our house, all the property, from each corner. We do this to help us with grace, creativity and luck! Each of my daughters take a direction, and I do one. Its a bit awkward since we live in such a Christian neighbourhood, but last year I don't think anyone even noticed us.
Then we have our egg hunt. For this we use plastic filled eggs and I fill them with little candies and chocolates. I hide about 60 eggs so there's lots for everyone!
This year we're going to make some faerie houses. I'm using shoeboxes, them filling them with pretties and shinies from the dollar store and around the house. We'll put a couple of cookie type snacks in them too. When we bring them into the forest, I'll hang them from some trees so the ground dwellers don't take from them.
I think we'll also do a scavenger hunt this year. My husband and I are pretty skilled at these, not that its hard! lol... but the girls LOVE them!
Traditionally I cook a ham. I make some breads, devilled eggs, veggies... I haven't thought much about the menu yet.
Last year my oldest daughter read a poem we found about spring and the Lucky Eostar Rabbitt. This year she'll prob do the same since she surprised herself by really enjoying it last year.
that sounds like way fun! so...you hang the shoeboxes from trees, yes? do you put little furniture and things in there, like doll houses? or just shiny pretties?
oooh a scavenger hunt. will the prize be Ostara baskets? what kind of hunt do you do? just clues that say where to find the next clue? my ds loves those. maybe i ought to do that, too.
i think i may invite people this year. at least one or two other kids so that ds will have someone to hunt with!
and i've never done a ham. might be a plan. with lots of hard boiled colored eggs, of course!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#544 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
shameless plug for the rainbowfarmschool
:: :: awesome stuff!!

sage... your celebration sounds lovely i'm not sure what we'll do for Mabon yet. i'm very last minute these days.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#545 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Cari- How is Jon doing?

Brendon- Great! Sounds fabulous!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#546 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 AM

yes, we do little rhymes that are clues to the next location. At Ostara we give little treats at each location too, a small gift like new crayons, chapsticks, nail polish, hair stuffs etc... We put a color code on each thing so each kid knows who's is who's. The game leaves them with their Ostara baskets.
Yes we put little beds and chairs and such in the faerie home. Tho we don't glue them down just in case the faerie already has a home she loves and just wants the furniture. We make mirrors from tin foil too. The girls say that faeries are so beautiful that we should give them mirrors so they can enjoy their beauty too! LOL...

Honestly we hard boil, blow and decorate about 5 dozen eggs. We love them.

This year I think we'll blow dreams and wishes into some blown eggs, then hang them from our trees. That was fun, we did that at a ritual I went to a few years ago. BTW I use the egg from the eggs we blow for a breakfast frittata the next morning, with the ham some peppers and some cheeses! Mmmm....

We're gonna make some Ostara baskets for our friends in our neighbourhood this year. We read a story about the history of them and the girls want to do that this year. So I think we'll make some beeswax candles and beaded bracelets, then add some chocolate and baked goods, then leave them on doorsteps.

Ostara is one of my favorite sabbats!! :
#547 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 AM

DOK, he's doing great! Emotionally it's really hard for him to be home, but he's had family there to visit in the last week and he can talk to his mates on facebook & myspace etc so he's feeling a little more 'normal' I guess. He contacted the hospital last weeka bout his therapy in the outpatient dept so hopefully they've assessed him and will get him started this week.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#548 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Hey Cari! I have no idea whats goin on but your post sounds positive! I have alot of reading to do! lol....
#549 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Cari- Jon has come so far! Rehab will continue to help with the physical healing but the mental must still be so hard. I think of you, Jon and your family often- send him my best wishes!

Sage- how fun! I am getting ready for a vaca but once we are back, I can plan and enjoy Ostara. I think we will start our green baskets though. I need to get soil and grass seed this week.

I just got Celebrating the Great Mother, so I am looking for ideas in there. Well better read the paper, have coffee and shower for church.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#550 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Brendon- Is it snowing there? I want to go to church but I'm afraid the streets will be a mess when I get out.

#551 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM

no, 16 degrees and miserably cold but no snow. i swear you have gotten tons more snow than me, which is weird

#552 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM

mamas, i want to ask you all for healing for a mama-- i don't physically know her, but she's on a list i'm on and she just went to the hospital this morning for an emergency C-section-- and her babe was only at 29 weeks
the mama's name is Candi. i'm not sure where she is or what hospital. i know that the post i got was at 7:30am this morning. it's about almost 10am now, where i am. please light candles for her, or whatever you are comfortable with. i think it's her first baby, but not sure.

candi and babe

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#553 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM

i guess we ought to start a March thread....i'll go start one, but i don't know how to link it from here.

#554 of 554 Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

March thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page