Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome! Getting ready to celebrate Imbolc! : :

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are your plans during this time before Spring arrives?

#3 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 AM

good morning, happy February, and happy Imbolc!

i saw a thing that said astrological Imbolc was the 4th this year. i don't know what they mean by astrological (compared to what?) but i figure that gives me four days

today's plans: clean up after birthday party, do some laundry (it's WAY overdue ), pay bills and work on paperwork :Puke, skim Imbolc things and figure out when to celebrate and what to have.

tomorrow: possibly celebrate Imbolc (ds gets out of school at 1:30 on Mondays)

which means if we are celebrating tomorrow, i need to stop at the store and get cabbage. why i'm wanting Colcannon, i don't know-- ds doesn't like cabbage anymore.
any other suggestions? what are y'all having?

does anyone know how to create a .wav file or a way to put a sound file on here? or a link to one? i would love to share our "wakey wakey" song for Imbolc, and yes i'm even willing to sing it : but i haven't a clue how to do it or even if it's possible.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#4 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Hi everyone

I've been slacking on here lately - first I was crocheting a bunch of balls for some babies, then I decided to make a cute winter headband for myself, now I'm working on a small website contract. When I'm not doing that, I'm bent over, helping DS walk around the house and explore the cupboards :

I quickly read some of the last thread - I feel a bit like you peacelove, trying to travel a non-wiccan pagan path.

I took a quick look at your photos Clay, and you looked great at that wedding, wow! I saved a copy of the wedding dress, my sister is planning on getting married in a year or two, and I think that style would look lovely on her.

My little gnomes are waiting for me at the post office, I don't know when I'll have a chance to paint them though. We bought a car last week (Mazda 5 ), so now I can get out - maybe I'll check out the artsy store and pick up some paint!

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#5 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
o.m.g. and the ritual last night...they had some kind of homemade soda bread from a recipe that the priestess got from a woman in Ireland, and it was *hands down* the best bread i have ever tasted. she's going to send me the recipe i will share if y'all like!
i think we're having colcannon. and maybe bread. i made a bread for my sick self when we got back from Florida and i'm homemade bread-ed out.
:
I want the recipe.

i love making homemade bread. i have been doing it for a week now and I must say it is cheaper for us. i cant seem to get it the way i want it though. i would love everyones favorite homemade bread recipe.

paths change. you might start out really into the Wiccan and slowly lean towards a more traditional path. it all depends on what speaks to you and how you realte to the Earth. You might desire more formal rules and traditions or you might want a more loose and informal relationship. in the end you have to look inside yourself and see what you need. it is different for everyone. it is a relationship. jmo.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#6 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Welcome! Getting ready to celebrate Imbolc! : :
For us newbies, what's Imbolic?

I haven't been here the last few months (partly because of my Facebook addiction partly from the holidays). Usually when I would think of this thread it was in the middle of the month & I just didn't have it in me to go through the numerous pages I had missed. So, today I just realized it's the 1st & the perfect time to come back. It should be easier to keep up now (man, you ladies post fast & often!).

treehugger.gif
#7 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Oops, just found the Imbolic thread. I'll read that.

treehugger.gif
#8 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade's Mom View Post
For us newbies, what's Imbolic?
It's Imbolc (no second i).

#9 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the lovely warm welcomes It's so nice to have people around who "get" you.

I've been on my pagan path for a while now. It all started at around age 25 or so, and I'm 37 now. I've definitely morphed along the way. What a wonderful trip it's been! So many experiences, people, places and things have shaped me. I'm looking forward to more to come!

Happy Imbolc Blessings to you all!!!
#10 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Heyla and Happy Month all! Here's hoping February brings us peace, joy, giggles, grins, hugs, hopes, and all sort of things that involve chocolate/treats/relaxation/bubbles. :

I suppose I could go all Irish blessing given the upcoming holiday, but I think I'll let it wait and just go with chcolate and bubbles for now.

Wedding- thanks! I had fun and it was wonderful to be part of my friend's wedding. She'd been through a lot and seeing her so downright happy was a true blessing. Her dress was a handsewn/crafted item made for her by, in her words, a scary little Russian seamstress in a basement apartment in San Francisco. Apparently she had huge dogs that roamed around the apartment during fittings and she would threaten my friend with all sorts of stuff! But her work is amazing and my friend said it was worth every penny and probably most of the threats too. The attendants wore off the rack (non-wedding) dresses... less than a hundred dollars each, so very affordable in terms of fancy dresses, and comfortable on a lot of different body shapes (soft fabric in loose draping, empire waist and collar bone neckline, etc). Totally wearable at future events too, which is nice, since I don't really have any "fancy stuff" in my wardrobe these days!

The temp today is flirting with freezing so it feels warm enough to wear t-shirts! Actually, after church this morning no one put on their coats. Funny how relative comfort can be... 32 degrees is suddenly balmy spring weather worthy of rolling up your sleeves and taking in the sun!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Sneaking across from last months thread

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#12 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
gun

Happy February!!!

My day has gone from bad to horrible. I am pretty positive I am in the middle of a miscarriage and it's so crappy. I was so happy that I hit 2months and was feeling pretty good about that, and then this. IDK what else to say.

Hoping Feb gets better, because it is ultra crap today.

Peace- Heather
#13 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no Heather. My thoughts are with you.

#14 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
Happy February!!!

My day has gone from bad to horrible. I am pretty positive I am in the middle of a miscarriage and it's so crappy. I was so happy that I hit 2months and was feeling pretty good about that, and then this. IDK what else to say.

Hoping Feb gets better, because it is ultra crap today.
I'm so sorry to hear that hun I think most of us have been there before so if you need to talk feel free to pm me hun.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#15 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM

: I'm making it my Feb mission to actually keep up with this thread.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#16 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM

Heather.

I am in the beginning stages of being sick. I abhor being sick when DH isn't here because I have nobody to whine too or take care of me

My nephew had my sister call me earlier to tell me to "please come home" and while she was giving me the message he shouted "Now!" in the background I miss my nephew so much, its hard to not be around him 24/7 like I used to be. I actually considered getting into my car and driving the 45 miles over there. Too bad my car is dead.

I read the new Night Huntress novel today, it was really fast paced. I didn't like it as much as the other 2 books but, it was something to kill some more time.

I still cannot believe its February today. January flew by as well. Not that I am really complaining, if time keeps flying by like this DH will be home before I know it!

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#17 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Heather I am so so sorry - my heart is aching for you. I went through that for a second time last June at 12 weeks, and it was awful... I'm sending you many healing thoughts and gentle hugs

Quote:
o.m.g. and the ritual last night...they had some kind of homemade soda bread from a recipe that the priestess got from a woman in Ireland, and it was *hands down* the best bread i have ever tasted. she's going to send me the recipe i will share if y'all like!
OOOH - I want the recipe too! That sounds SO good

We are starting our Imbolc celebration tonight. It is our first celebration so we are trying new things. A few things have gone awry... we dawdled too long and I didn't get the bread made in time so we're taking a quick bread out of the freezer to give to Brigid. After Imbolc, we'll crumble it and give it to the birds. I also didn't get to make potato soup. Stupid superbowl is on which means hubby wants cheese dip, and told me not to bother. Oh well. i'll make it tomorrow!

We made our besom, and picked up a fire pit today (something we've wanted for a long time, and have a chance to get right now - which is handy since Brigid is associated with fire, and one of the traditions is to light the home fires!)

We also picked up a bunch of candles for Brigid to bless for the year.

We smudged the house (which feels so much better!), and will be making Brigid's crosses soon.

Tomorrow, we'll be dancing around the back yard to help wake up Spring with our homemade Priapic wands.
#18 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Heather. I am lighting a healing candle for you tonight.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#19 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 PM

(((Heather)))

Valérie   
#20 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Oh, Heather. I know how thrilled you were at the prospect of having another sweet baby. I've been there too, hon. Much love to you.

I will light a healing candle for you tonight when I get home (I'm here at Dad's house watching the Superbowl so everyone can be together. Having an ok time, I guess. I do genuinely enjoy football and we're Steelers fans, but if it weren't for watching my older kids enjoy it, I must admit I'd almost rather go to a bar and cheer with strangers.

Looking forward to some lovely Imbolc rituals with my younger dc...

Love and light to all, especially our new sisters. I hope you find the love here that I have!

~ Raven :::

and ,
~Raven Loving mama of 6
#21 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 PM

WHY am i not getting email reminders all of a sudden? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I suppose I could go all Irish blessing given the upcoming holiday, but I think I'll let it wait and just go with chcolate and bubbles for now.

The temp today is flirting with freezing so it feels warm enough to wear t-shirts! Actually, after church this morning no one put on their coats. Funny how relative comfort can be... 32 degrees is suddenly balmy spring weather worthy of rolling up your sleeves and taking in the sun!
oh please do share the Irish blessing! with translations and/or pronunciation guide if you please

as for relative temps-- when i lived in Syracuse people were out in shorts, playing frisbee with their bandanna'd dogs at 40*. don't you live in Ithaca, Clay? obviously you totally understand

Quote:
oh, heather i am so sorry. i'm SO sorry. please do PM me if you need a shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato2 View Post
We smudged the house (which feels so much better!), and will be making Brigid's crosses soon.
note to self: smudge house.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#22 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
WHY am i not getting email reminders all of a sudden? :
I've given up on those.

#23 of 554 Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Totally random geekiness:

I am watching the Super Bowl and the showed the trailer for Transformers 2! I am soo excited

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#24 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 AM

Heather I'm sorry mama.

I can't believe it's February and I'm soooo glad! It's been a long winter and we're really looking forward to Spring.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#25 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 AM

Heather -

Our temps here are hot again. : It's been more hot than not this winter and it's just not fair. I'm not ready to move anywhere that there is actual SNOW or thunderstorms or tornados or, you know, weather. But just a little bit. Maybe staying in the 50's from October to March? So I can wear sweaters and Uggs? Is that so much to ask?

Um, anyhow. Hi! Subbing!
#26 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Imbolc! :

I'm too tired to think straight so I'll be back later.

#27 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Happy February and Imbloc, sisters!

I was able to get the house all cleaned (and boy did it need it) yesterday. We also visited the ocean this weekend so although my imbolc plans changed a little, I still felt like I celebrated it in a special way. I'm smudging tonight because I totally forgot to after I cleaned yesterday!

I've also been thinking more and more about my path and have noticed that I feel more connected to the equixnox's and solstices and tend to really celebrate those in a special way more so than the other sabbats. I still don't feel completely comfortable with my path but I think so much of that has to do with just trusting my own instinct and only having myself to say, "yea, you're doing it right." I need to stop worrying about doing everything "right".

Peace (and others I might have missed), welcome to this lovely, amazingly, beautiful circle. I hope you enjoy it and treasure it as much as I do.

Heather, I'll also light you a candle tonight. I'm so sorry, sister. I hope your taking care of yourself right now and are surrounded by people who love and can support you. Big .

-Rachel

#28 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Heather - I'm so very sorry

It's -2C here (28F I believe?) and sunny, a rare combination - positively balmy these days. I added some pics to my blog last night, one shows how much snow was sitting on our deck. DH had to clear a path to the barbecue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
I've also been thinking more and more about my path and have noticed that I feel more connected to the equixnox's and solstices and tend to really celebrate those in a special way more so than the other sabbats.
I need to do more research on the sabbats, but I've always been fascinated with the exquinoxes and solstices since I learned of them as a child. They will definitely always be most significant to me.

Maybe I'll try what someone mentioned earlier, and give bread to the birds. There were a bunch of (I believe) Blu Jays sitting on the wire in the back yard yesterday, I'm sure DS would enjoy watching them I might also light a candle to try to cleanse the air and settle my spirits. I'm finding myself getting more and more upset at the prospect of sending DS to daycare next month, it's really weighing on me He's still nursing several times a day and needs lots of cuddles to go down for a naps - I have visions of him screaming and crying at daycare :cry: I've got to think more positively!

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#29 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Hang in there Heather. Be gentle.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#30 of 554 Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 PM

Dear Heather, I'm thinking of you today. Gentle hugs.

We started celebrating on Saturday, will have Candlemas Pancrepes tonight, and our Brigit's feast on the 4th. I know my dates are off, but I just love this time of year and like to spread the celebration out over a series of days.

Bright blessings to you all this day!

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page