Living Mindfully (as taught by Thich Nhat Hanh) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if there are more mum/dads here that aim to live mindfully? I came across teachings by Thich Nhat Hanh a few months ago and have been making an effort to live more mindfully.
More about TNH
I realise there is allready a buddhist thread but I've chatted to many non buddhist followers and thought it would be nice to be able to chat about how we incorperate mindfulness into our hectic and busy lives and how the practise of being mindful influences our life.

Anyone interested?

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM

I'm interested! :::jumps up and down, raising hand::: lol

I like to believe that I live as mindfully as possible, but in all honesty it is VERY hard!

Ok, being mindful to me has stemmed from my Buddhist beliefs and my journy to live a Buddhist life. So, it may be a little different for me, but the concept of most Buddhist beliefs can be incorporated into most peoples lives without them being labled as a Buddhist.

The actions that I take to live mindfully are to meditate regularly. Be aware of the words that I speak and the actions that I make. To eliminate as much as possible the "background noise" of life; meaning to try and not let things upset/irritate/stress me like work and family and strangers etc. When I am doing a task, I do not become absorbed in it, and I do not let outside thoughts enter my head, I just BE! My goal at this point in being mindful is to stop overthinking everything and just be. And I will stop there because I would like to hear what others have to say.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMommy80 View Post
I'm interested! :::jumps up and down, raising hand::: lol
Yay! I'm not alone lol
for me to my path to buddhism has let to my path of mindfulness.

I just read the miracle of mindfulness and will be reading it again soon It was very interesting

Old 02-25-2009, 12:52 PM

I am currently reading "healing anger" by HH Dalai Lama, but I'm going to check out that book you are reading!

Here is a good link to Thich Nhat Hanh's 14 mindfullness training introductions
http://www.mindfulnessbell.org/14trainings.htm

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)

Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Just a friendly lil bump!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM

:

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM

It's nice to find this thread! I actually just dug out my old copy of Peace Is Every Step lasrt week and have been trying to read it mindfully as part of my observance of Lent. We're big on multitasking at our house, and I'm starting to realize that it's not a great way to live. I divide my attention between a million things, and I don't focus properly on any of them. I feel like I need to stop and take a breath and just be with my children, really listen to them and smile with them and play with them, without thinking of everything else that needs to be done around the house, or what's for dinner, or whatever. It's very hard for me!

I happened to flip open to a page in Peace Is Every Step about the Eucharist. I'm Episcopalian in practice, and as I mentioned, I'm trying to reread this book for Lent, so it was interesting to read the Buddhist take on the Christian practice. Anyway, Thich Nhat Hanh writes that when Jesus broke bread with his disciples, he knew that if they could eat one piece of bread in mindfulness, they would wake up from their routines, their forgetfulness, and have real life. So even today the sacrament of the Eucharist can be an invitation to mindfulness. I've been feeling a bit lost and burned out spiritually, so it was very nourishing to take a fresh look at my own practice from a different perspective.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
: I'm interested in learning more.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 AM

"When you are washing the dishes. Wash the dishes."

My favorite TNH quote

Kind of just says it all right there, doesn't it?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 AM

subbing

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Also subbing

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Mindfulness is elaborated on in a very intersting way in "Everyday Blessings" by Myla & Jon Kabat-Zinn. I'd recommend it to all.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
I happened to flip open to a page in Peace Is Every Step about the Eucharist. I'm Episcopalian in practice, and as I mentioned, I'm trying to reread this book for Lent, so it was interesting to read the Buddhist take on the Christian practice. Anyway, Thich Nhat Hanh writes that when Jesus broke bread with his disciples, he knew that if they could eat one piece of bread in mindfulness, they would wake up from their routines, their forgetfulness, and have real life. So even today the sacrament of the Eucharist can be an invitation to mindfulness. I've been feeling a bit lost and burned out spiritually, so it was very nourishing to take a fresh look at my own practice from a different perspective.
How so very true

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/2000...editation.aspx

This is one that really makes me think. I realize how much time I spend rushing through life's experiences. Eating, cleaning, everything I do is in order to do something NEXT...something ELSE....something AFTER.

So my struggle is to be in the now, whatever and wherever that is.

DH and I signed up for a meditation workshop this month at the local Buddhist temple. I'm really interested in where that leads our frame of mind, ykwim?

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
"When you are washing the dishes. Wash the dishes."

My favorite TNH quote

Kind of just says it all right there, doesn't it?
so true yet when do we take the time to just do the dishes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPennock View Post
Mindfulness is elaborated on in a very intersting way in "Everyday Blessings" by Myla & Jon Kabat-Zinn. I'd recommend it to all.
I'm going to have a look on amazon for that book thanks for the recomendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/2000...editation.aspx

This is one that really makes me think. I realize how much time I spend rushing through life's experiences. Eating, cleaning, everything I do is in order to do something NEXT...something ELSE....something AFTER.

So my struggle is to be in the now, whatever and wherever that is.

DH and I signed up for a meditation workshop this month at the local Buddhist temple. I'm really interested in where that leads our frame of mind, ykwim?
I enjoyed that thanks I looked uo the authors website he has some downloadable dharmatalks.
Its so true though always chasing after the next thing.

I've installed a mindfulnesbell on my laptop. I have my laptop on in the kitchen most of the time because its my phone (use skype to call my family abroad) and the main way for me and dh to chat during the day. So every 15 minutes the bell gets invited and my 4y/o now stops and takes 3 breaths. It has really helped in difusing some tantrums here between him and 18m/o twins.
I'm hoping to replace it with a nice mantle clock with a chime. My grandparents have a big grandfather clock and i always loved the sound.

I really enjoyed reading the miracle of mindfulness and will have to read it again soon there was a lot to take in. I have tnh's ANGER lined up to read too

Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Re: bells of mindfulness....I was reading an article recently that compared life with small children to life in a monastary. It was talking about the significance of the bell in monastic life--always calling you away from what you were doing and asking you to focus your attention on being mindful at that moment. Similarly, small children constantly call you away from what you were doing and force you to focus on something besides yourself. So what seems like a distraction can ultimately be a spiritual path, a spiritual discipline.

I am trying to see the constant interruptions of my kids as an invitation to mindfulness. It is a challenge! Maybe I can try to hear each call of "Mom!" as a kind of bell calling me to experience the moment. We'll see how it goes!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Just "listening" in here.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM

I have an inquiry and I'm not so sure it's appropriate to ask here but I thought it might be. If not please tell me and I'll make an s/o or something (and sorry in advance )...

How do you remain mindful and present HERE and not OUT THERE? DH and I focus a lot on the happenings in the world so we feel like we are out there with everyone else being stretched from issue to issue. If we could focus as much HERE it'd be powerful. We just can't seem to pull it in I guess.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Haven't read the thread yet, but thank you for posting. I find it hardest to be mindful on the computer, when I've got a 3 year old girl running around being kookoo crazy, heh. But I have many of Thich Nhat Hanh's books and love them. I try to live mindfully every moment of each day. I focus on exactly what I am doing without thinking about what just happened or what I will do next. I make time to meditate each day, just focusing on each breath.

My favorite quote is this, and I have it up on our living room wall:

“Whatever the tasks, do them slowly
with ease,
in mindfulness,
so not do any tasks with the goal
of getting them over with.
Resolve to each job in a relaxed way,
with all your attention.”

- Thich Nhat Hanh, Zen Master

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I have an inquiry and I'm not so sure it's appropriate to ask here but I thought it might be. If not please tell me and I'll make an s/o or something (and sorry in advance )...

How do you remain mindful and present HERE and not OUT THERE? DH and I focus a lot on the happenings in the world so we feel like we are out there with everyone else being stretched from issue to issue. If we could focus as much HERE it'd be powerful. We just can't seem to pull it in I guess.
I am no expert and am not quite sure what you mean by focusing on the "happenings in the world" but this is how I understand it - if you are reading/talking about/thinking about/do something about current events just do that and do it fully. Don't wash the dishes and do it at the same time, just wash the dishes!

I have heard similar questions about planning for the future, how do you do it while being mindful and staying in the present? You set aside time to do your planning and give it your all, you don't plan while you are doing other things.

Now, as an aside, if you mean you are worrying about things going on - war, the economy, etc. that is a whole 'nother thing. I guess if your mind is wandering to worry of current events, when you notice it, come back to your breath maybe with some type of inner statement that recognizes your worry.

I hope that made sense, I am pretty new at this.

SJ
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danidama View Post

“Whatever the tasks, do them slowly
with ease,
in mindfulness,
so not do any tasks with the goal
of getting them over with.
Resolve to each job in a relaxed way,
with all your attention.”

- Thich Nhat Hanh, Zen Master

i have to hang that up in our kitchen!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum21andtwins View Post
i have to hang that up in our kitchen!
That is a great quote.

Honestly, I am constantly rushing from one thing to another. I need to slow down and be in the moment.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:04 AM

I find myself wanting to be mindful in the summer, life seems to slow down for me in the summer. I try to stay mindful at all times, but for some reason summer is easier.
It is so difficult to stop the running list I have in my head. Even as a young child I was thinking ahead to later in the day, tomorrow, next week. I was always planning, making lists etc. Hard to let go of 33 years worth of planning.

I have found that my relationship with my children improves when I am more mindful.

I am UU/Pagan in beliefs but I draw many parts of religion into my life. I find it very fulfilling including so many different paths.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

User Tag List