March Pagan Mamas Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so here we are, mamas! it's March! Ostara is looming, Daylight Savings Time is next week : (y'all know i like the dark season ), and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Do y'all resent St.Patty's Day? or celebrate it? whichever you do, tell why?

I hate the story, because it represents driving Paganism out of the lovely green Isle, but I love the celebration of the Irish. And I love corned beef and cabbage
I think I am Irish at heart, even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any in my family history. I have English, though-- from pre-1620 (Mayflower stock, me) so who knows back then, there might have been more blood-mixing. I don't have any documentation of before that. Unless someone knows where I can get William Bradford's family history.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
so here we are, mamas! it's March! Ostara is looming, Daylight Savings Time is next week : (y'all know i like the dark season ), and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

I hate the story, because it represents driving Paganism out of the lovely green Isle, but I love the celebration of the Irish. And I love corned beef and cabbage
I think I am Irish at heart, even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any in my family history. I have English, though-- from pre-1620 (Mayflower stock, me) so who knows back then, there might have been more blood-mixing. I don't have any documentation of before that. Unless someone knows where I can get William Bradford's family history.
Hi!

I'm not very active on here, but I am trying to be better! I am so excited for daylight savings time...I don't like the short days LOL

I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day, but I understand why people would want to. Most people I know just see it as an excuse to have a good time, drink green beer, have a party etc., so I certainly see nothing wrong with that! I would go to a celebration, but not initiate one, kwim?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM

I don't celebrate St Patrick's day.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM

I don't celebrate the day but everyone assumes dh is Irish, (he is a tiny bit, like 10%) so we give a nod to his small irish roots on St. Patty's day. We usually have ham, cabbage, taters, carrotts and soda bread but will be away this year.

Maia- for Candi and her baby!

The girls want to make something with candles, so I was thinking egg shape candles with either painted symbols or carved symbols.

O.k. back to work for me

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 03-01-2009, 02:22 PM

We are getting up to 15" of snow. Um, yuck.

I want spring!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Just popping in to say "hello"! Sorry I've been away. Most of my on-line time has been trying to work out details for a possible early return (3-4 months before DH could join us) to Seattle for DS and myself. I'm still waiting on final job news in the next week or so, but it's been crazy trying to work out child care/temporary housing from here.

Anyway, I've been Spring crafting, de-cluttering and just trying to pull myself together.

Dreading the longer (bright) days, but looking forward to Ostara and the hope it brings. No specific St.Paddy's Day celebrations, except to celebrate my dear Irish friend.

Hoping to stay tuned in a bit more this month.

crochetsmilie.gifread.gif Wife & Mama to 5 yo superhero.gifboy and 13 yo cat.gif.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Morning Mamas.

DH called for a little bit after he called DSS. Turns out DSS' little sister made her appearance 2-3 weeks early, knowing the exwife the way I do she was probably induced because she was tired of being pregnant. Just like she was with her last baby. I guess I am feeling a little bitter right now.

DH is supposed to call me back again in a few hours....I hope. I wish Spring would make a firm appearance already. I am tired of this teasing thing the weather is doing up here. I want to garden already.

Come on Spring!

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 03-01-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

here is the update from Candi's friend, about Candi and baby :

"I received a phone call from Candi's husband Aaron about an hour ago. Both Candi and Baby (she doesn't have a name yet) are recovering and doing fine. Baby has a 90% chance for survival. Her lungs are stronger than originally thought, and she's apparently making a lot of noise. :-) Candi will be in the hospital for the next three days, and Baby will probably have to be there until her original due date in May. Baby is 1 pound 13 ounces and is about 13 inches long. Aaron said Baby squeezed his fingers and opened her eyes.

They thank you all for your prayers and good energy. Please continue to keep them in your prayers as they are not entirely out of the woods yet."

oh, yay. just yay.

it's snowing, mamas! : it's coming down so hard we just have to get inches, we just have to!

now i need to get off my lazy arse and go do something. like, oh, i dunno...eat maybe? it's 2:15 or so and i haven't had lunch yet

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Subbing. Maybe I can actually keep up this time, instead of giving up and receding back to lurkdom.

Does anyone ever remember me here anymore? Oh well, even if not, I always glean a lot of joy and ideas from this thread. :

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 PM

Greetings. I've been lurking for a few weeks & thought I'd finally say hi. I have a 14 month son and have become more interested in re-newing my spiritual self. He's already a little nature-lover so I suppose I just want to start integrating some spiritual/sacred aspects to our outings. A few years ago I started having a calendar of months represented by a single feature of nature. March is the months of owls. Our owl story is how the owl calls at night to call in his mate and to call in the spring. Next Sunday we are camping (in a cabin) to listen for owls - and wolves too, if we're lucky.

I've enjoyed reading your posts and am looking for more inspiration & ideas.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Hi Liza! I love owls, love em, and they seem to appear at different times in my life. A year or two ago we had a couple visit us in our backyard. One little guy took shelter under our compost tumbler... :

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Welcome Liza!

Yes, Shelley, I remember you.

So, I figured out a way to entertain ds today (snow day). We were watching a Harry Potter movie when the lid to a bin fell over. Sooo...I told ds it must have been Harry in his invisibility cloak. I never expected ds to believe me!
But he did.

So then, I noticed that Harry had written (in big letters) HI in the freshly fallen snow. (of course, this happened just after I had gone out to clean my car off. tee hee).

Then, that sneaky Harry put up a picture of himself on my desktop along with a little note saying Hi to ds and that he had fun visiting him today.

My goodness, ds is all excited about it.

Who needs Santa when when we have Harry?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

Hello Everyone, I lurk a lot but thought I'd say hello. :

I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day but I like March because green is my favorite color and it's my birthday this month.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Bella Babe- good to see you and congratulations. My Erin is an October babe, born on the 19th. :

Hi Verde! Join write on in. *ha ha*

Liza- Welcome! I haven't seen a owl here but I know we have one by the reamins.

I picked up a bunny, fawn, calf and lamb for our nature table. They schleich which I like but would prefer wool or wood. oh well

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 PM

The weather has been absolutely beautiful here the past few days and I am soooo looking forward to spring!

Welcome to the new mamas and hi to the returning mamas!

I agree on the whole St. Patrick story. I don't like that aspect of the holiday. I do have quite a bit of Irish in me though and it does make me want to celebrate that at this time of year. I so long to go back to Ireland again some day. It feels so much like "home".

Liza-s - Owls are very special to me too, and have helped me out during times in my life when I really needed them. How nice to have an owl month! Did you purchase that calendar somewhere or design it yourself?

DOK - What a clever idea!

Bella Babe - It's nice to see a pagan mama from TX. I have come across a few on here. I spent most of my life in TX and always felt so alone when it came to my spirituality. Not that I really have any close friends who are pagan where I live now, but the environment is much more accepting. Glad you're here!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Sooo...I told ds it must have been Harry in his invisibility cloak. I never expected ds to believe me!
But he did.
So then, I noticed that Harry had written (in big letters) HI in the freshly fallen snow. (of course, this happened just after I had gone out to clean my car off. tee hee).
Then, that sneaky Harry put up a picture of himself on my desktop along with a little note saying Hi to ds and that he had fun visiting him today.

My goodness, ds is all excited about it.

Who needs Santa when when we have Harry?
oh, that's awesome, DOK! how funny sounds like something i might have done, if i had thought of it! i wonder if your ds will go around expecting "Harry moments" from now on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
but I know we have one by the reamins.
I picked up a bunny, fawn, calf and lamb for our nature table. They schleich which I like but would prefer wool or wood. oh well
reamins? schleich? what in the world language are you speaking, woman?

welcome back bellababe and hello to verde!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
i wonder if your ds will go around expecting "Harry moments" from now on...
Probably. I'll just have to tell him that I think Harry doesn't get to visit people all that often.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:

We don't celebrate it, mainly because we're really not into drinking beer & acting like idiots (which is what most ppl seem to do lol) But I do think it's sad that the general public is so misinformed about the real origins of the 'holiday'... a religious leader traipsing through a country annihilating it's traditional spiritual practices does not = something to be happy about.

Quote:
here is the update from Candi's friend, about Candi and baby :

"I received a phone call from Candi's husband Aaron about an hour ago. Both Candi and Baby (she doesn't have a name yet) are recovering and doing fine. Baby has a 90% chance for survival.
Awesome news! I'll light a candle for the little one and hope that she's strong enough for the fight ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
March is the months of owls. Our owl story is how the owl calls at night to call in his mate and to call in the spring. Next Sunday we are camping (in a cabin) to listen for owls - and wolves too, if we're lucky.
Welcome! : I'm an owl lover (and geckos), dh is the wolf lover in the house We don't really have 'typical' owls here... this is the Australia owl, the tawny frogmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by verde View Post
Hello Everyone, I lurk a lot but thought I'd say hello. :
Welcome to you too :

Well our excitemtn for the weekend was a rather large TREE falling on the power/phone lines to our house! It was taken care of fairly quickly, and I was happy to know I wasn't imagining the very LOUD noise I heard at 545am DH thought I must have dreamed it lol. I did some serious pottering in the garden yesterday... planted some more basil, parsley, cucumbers and some bush beans : I'm finding that even a few minutes out in my little potted veggie patch is very grounding these days : It's warm & steamy.. even at 730am when I went out! I'm SO looking forward to autumn that it's not even funny

I just tried to call Jon.. and would ya believe he's gone visiting! LMAO His dad picked him up and he's staying up with them till tuesday or so, and when he comes back he'll start his therapy on Wed I think.

And to those mamas on facebook.. I found my best friend from growing up on there today! We were inseperable from about.. grade 4 on LOL. We lived at each others houses on the weekends, and last year our mothers died weeks apart and I could not find her I'm so unbelievably thrilled to have made that connection again! Those friendships from my treasure map are manifesting in the ODDEST places! lol

dh just rang & wants to take the wee ones to Ikea this afternoon to play in smaaland while we do a bit of window shopping

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM

Hey mommas! I celebrate St Patrick's... or as a friend of mine says "Irish-American heritage day" It gives me an excuse to sing rebel songs, brandish my Irish side and otherwise torment the Anglophile at my job. I don't like daylight savings because it's stupid. It shouldn't exist at all. You get the same ammount of light as you do without it. The sun doesn't care what the clock says. I can't wait for spring and storms and warm weather. I just want to see all the lovely flowers and baby ducks and stuff. It'll be great.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 PM

Maia- are you taking aim at my poor typins skills or poor spelling?
*laughs* schleich is a company that makes figures from people to animals. And you couldn't get remains from reamins? And I thought you made dean's list last semester? *tease* :

Picked up my grass seed, dirt and stuff for amking my green baskets. We eill start them tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Cari-pm me your facebook link!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove View Post
Owls are very special to me too, and have helped me out during times in my life when I really needed them. How nice to have an owl month! Did you purchase that calendar somewhere or design it yourself?
I made up the calendar myself, changing it as my whims come & go. Or as some creature or event waxes & wanes. And I don't usually plan more than a few months in advance - although March will be for owls as long as I am in AK. This is when they begin to mate & hoot. April is the month of hawks and "green knees" (the first shoots poking up). May will probably be birds of marsh & mud (ducks & shorebirds). Okay you can probably see I have a little thing for birds... But summer, fall & winter are not usually bird months for me. July or August will probably the return of salmon. I expect lynx to boom next year, so maybe next Feb will be their month. There is a volcano just south of us that is rumbling - if it goes, we'll probably celebrate that (once I've changed the air filters etc.). And when we return to a good solar storm cycle we'll celebrate the dancing sky (aurora). So it varies, but is largely based on migration and growing cycles.

Owls & I have a history and affinity. I used to have an owl that followed me through the forest where I did my worked in school - all day long, day after day. My son's 5th word was even owl.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 AM
gun

Hello! And welcome to the new folks to the group!! And welcome March! I have bulbs popping through here in the mighty cold midwest!

I celebrate St Patrick's Day, my maternal grandfather came over from Ireland, and my mother would kill me if I didn't acknowledge the day. No silliness really, just tons of boiled food!

Cari - Yay Jon! That is great he is getting out and about!! Good news indeed!

DoK - how cool that it is you get to still have "Harry moments.' Sounds so sweet that he is still a believer.

Super crazy busy weekend. I got to the bead store again!! Yay! Also, I met with an eclectic pagan group of mom's and kids that meet regularly and include the wee ones in the fun. I am so happy because everyone was really nice and accepting of my beliefs. I am so pleased to have found them! :

My weekend has been filled to the brim with family, fun, and new friends! Hope you all have an amazing March!

Peace- Heather
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Maia- are you taking aim at my poor typins skills or poor spelling?
*laughs* schleich is a company that makes figures from people to animals. And you couldn't get remains from reamins? And I thought you made dean's list last semester? *tease* :

Picked up my grass seed, dirt and stuff for amking my green baskets. We eill start them tomorrow.
no, seriously, i wasn't!! i honestly could not work that out. i have never heard of that company!
ok, now i know you are making fun of me,with that last part! i could have worked out "remains" if that other weird word wasn't in there...i was like what in the world is she talking about?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post

Cari - Yay Jon! That is great he is getting out and about!! Good news indeed!
Thank you! It's awesome news

Quote:
Cari-pm me your facebook link!
Done, obviously I could have sworn there had been a pic of me posted at SOME point in history on this thread? lol Maybe I should put one in my sig, is always neat to put faces to names isn't it?

Hubby had a short day at work, so we took the kids and went to Ikea! We knew Quinn was going to be TRES upset at not being able to play in smaaland... so his birthday sorta got moved forward 3months LOL. He had a fabulous time with the boys.. and then RAN like hell from us when we picked him up *sigh* Literally right down the center of the check outs area... I was racing trying to catch him, lucky we didn't BOTH get cleaned up by one of those loaded up flatbed trolleys!!!!!! And somehow, we got out of Ikea spending a grand total of NOTHING.. except for a bag of Daim candies (which we must buy, as my hubbys name is Daim/eon LMAO)

We had SO much fun all by ourselves... checking out the spiffy kitchens .. and then the loungesuites... and I showed daim the kura bed that I want to get for Lucas, and new dining room sets. We have a house full of hand me down furniture, which while perfectly serviceable... really is NOT my style at all... so I dream of furnishing MY way vicariously thru Ikea hehehe.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Cari- I love going to Ikea! Not a fun place to go if you don't have the money to spend though. (that can get frustrating!)

So what is the first thing ds said to me when he woke up this morning?
"Do you think Harry Potter will visit today?"

uh oh. hahahah
So, should I come up with another trick or just tell him that I don't think Harry will be able to visit until the summer?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM

:

Changing time :

St-Patrick: back in the days before I knew about paganism and before having a kid stronghly reacting to artificial colours, I would celebrate by making green food.

Now, we take a moment to remember the ancestors (DH great-grand-mother came from Ireland) and I shamelessly put focus on the faery side of the island.

Like Valentine's Day, this is only another opportunity to celebrate and do fun things as a family.

Valérie   
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Morning mamas. I missed the last week of February, kids were off for winter break so I took time off the computer. Today was going to be their first day back to school, but we have a snow day!

Going back to try to catch up with everyone.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM

There's already so much snow out there and it's still falling. Supposed to be getting 15" last I heard.

Can winter be over, please? :

Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=CariOfOz;13284009]
And to those mamas on facebook.. I found my best friend from growing up on there today! We were inseperable from about.. grade 4 on LOL. We lived at each others houses on the weekends, and last year our mothers died weeks apart and I could not find her I'm so unbelievably thrilled to have made that connection again! Those friendships from my treasure map are manifesting in the ODDEST places! lol

I have never found anyone on facebook. I have people who I just met, but have never had any luck with finding friends from school. Most of my friends on facebook are my family members, makes it easier to keep in touch with everyone.

Quote:
There's already so much snow out there and it's still falling. Supposed to be getting 15" last I heard.

Can winter be over, please? :
I am with you on that one. I hate to wish my days away, but I am SO ready for Spring!!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

User Tag List