LDS Moms and Pops- Spring/Summer '09 Edition (All Are Welcome!!) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drewsmom, this is all I can offer:
If I were in your situation, I’d be frustrated despite my confidence that the bishop and other auxiliary members were aware of the situation and evaluating it persistently and perceptively.

I would have to pray. A lot. I’d express my true feelings of the situation to Heavenly Father, utterly uncensored, and say, “Hey, am I justified feeling this way?” If not, “What can I do right now to feel better about this situation?” And you know what? I’d probably be surprised with His response. I usually am.

Despite what they teach in Sunday school, not every service we offer makes us feel good- I think we’ve all had those cases. Sometimes we feel taken advantage of. In those instances we need to sit back and take stock and ponder the purpose and counsel with Heavenly Father.

I've been storming through YA books lately. I head our branch's book club and we read YA Lit. Anyways, I've been reading I Am Scout a biography of Harper Lee, and a passage touched me and actually helped me look at fast offerings differently. Before Lee wrote To Kill A Mockingbird, she was living in NYC, dirtpoor, working hard and barely surviving- not even writing. She spent a lot of time with a family by the name of Brown. For Christmas the Browns gave Nelle (Harper Lee's first name) a simple white envelope, within it a note that read "Dear Nelle, You have one year off from your job to write whatever you please. Merry Christmas." Later Nelle wrote, "A full chance for a new life. Not given me by an act of generousity, but by an act of love. Our faith in you was really all I had heard them say."
I like the line this quote draws between generousity and an act of love, because they are different. Too many people think of the Atonement as a generous act rather than one of love. And, I, have thought my offerings were just me being generous so others can make end's meet, instead, I need to see it as an expression of love.
With the time given by the Browns, Harper Lee was able to write To Kill A Mockingbird. Whether or not you like the novel is kinda besides the point, but hey.

Drewsmom, you’re doing well. No need to feel guilty. From your post, you seem to know what you should be doing and are doing the best you can. You are aware of yourself and you know your abilities.
Keep us posted. We love putting our two cents in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Thank you Angela, I appreciate your very well thought out words. I've been praying harder today. Ironically enough I was thinking about how one of my dear friends here who is not LDS but I actually met her through Mothering and a local forum's AP group would react to this and she is much more grounded and compassionate than I am. I know that it always helps me when people are patient with my mistakes and imperfections so I need to be as well. Also I realized that it's my ideas and expectations that I had of this sister that are meeting up with reality and I'm getting frustrated that they're different. I still need to learn how to balance that with helping to lovingly prod her along b/c I do sincerely feel that she needs it and that's why I've been blessed to have her as a sister to visit teach. Now I just need more *love* like you said.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 PM

Drewsmom, I just wanted to tell you that I've been on the receiving end of expectations put upon me and my family by other church members. These people said some very unkind things to us in the spirit of "teaching". That was back in August and I've not been back to church since because it made us feel so unwelcome and judged by people who didn't know us. BTW, we weren't getting any financial assistance from the church so I'm not sure why they felt like they should have any say in how we lived our lives.

I guess my point is that maybe the lesson here isn't for the unemployed mom at all.

banana.gif

Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Does anyone know how to put Christmas Devotional on a podcast?

Are there any LDS or LDS-themed podcasts that you listen to?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 AM

I listen to LDS Voices, and I think one that is called Light of Men or something... it's like listening to a play about the life of Christ. I really like it. The other one I listen to is Conference talks, there are a lot of Conference podcasts out there.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM

So. I live in a branch. Lots of kids, not enough adults. Big problem for Primary.
I know this is a typical problem in most branches and wards.
Any suggestions?
What are some of the different arrangements you have seen?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM

When I lived in England I attended a ward with about 30 kids and 3 adults in the Primary. I was in charge of singing time, and then when time came to go to classes we would split the primary into half - older kids and younger kids. I would teach the 10 or so younger kids, and the older kids would be split into half again and the other two leaders taught those classes.

Probably not helpful, but that's how we did it.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

I could use your prayers and advice.

I don't want to go into too many details but a calling has been extended to me that just seems overwhelming. I don't have any experience in this area and there are some small ward political issues that might surface as well.

I don't want to flat out refuse the calling, but I'm really not looking forward to accepting the calling either.

Just when I feel comfortable saying yes, I get terrified again and feel like there is no way I can do it.

So...what do you do when situations like this present themselves? Any success stories of how you accepted callings that first terrified and overwhelmed you and how they later turned out wonderful?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Pray, pray pray pray pray PRAY. Could you maybe talk to the bishop about your concerns? Or what if you accepted the calling, and after a few months if you're struggling talk to the bishop and/or find someone to help you or else resign.

I have been extended a couple of callings that seemed extremely overwhelming, and so I didn't do them. I regret that, because I feel like maybe I was supposed to learn something important but since I didn't take the opportunity the Lord couldn't show me what he wanted me to know. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM

Just wondering if we have a 2010 thread yet? I've been poking around and I don't see one so I thought I'd ask.

I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to seeing some updates.

banana.gif

User Tag List