I need some hope - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really know where I'm at anymore. I thought I identified with paganism but I'm still left feeling empty. I think the only time I ever really felt fulfilled was when I was younger and going to a catholic church. I think it's probably bc I was still so innocent. I don't know if I can feel that again. I've been doing too much research on conspiricy theories lately and I really need some hope. Hope that this world is not the end. That there is something better. I can't trust in this world anymore. There is too much hunger, war, and oppression for this to be it. I just need some encouragment to pick my feet back up and get on with my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 PM

Have ya popped onto the UU mama's thread here? I'm not UU myself, although I've given thought to visiting the one fellowship near me , but I think they'd a good midway between all out paganism (me and catholicism (not that there's anything wrong with that at all, but I thought you might be looking for something in the middle as opposed to the extremes)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 16 Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

I've peeked in at that thread Actually after reading some of it I decided to check it out about a month ago. I went twice. The first time by myself and the second time with my husband. I really liked it the first time but the second time, eh. I think it would have helped if there were younger people in the church but they are all older. I also didn't like the music, at all, at this particular location. I do like the idea of universalism though. I am living in the "buckle of the bible belt," or so I've been told, and it was refreshing to see the older generation embracing this idea.

#4 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliime View Post
I don't really know where I'm at anymore. I thought I identified with paganism but I'm still left feeling empty. I think the only time I ever really felt fulfilled was when I was younger and going to a catholic church. I think it's probably bc I was still so innocent. I don't know if I can feel that again. I've been doing too much research on conspiricy theories lately and I really need some hope. Hope that this world is not the end. That there is something better. I can't trust in this world anymore. There is too much hunger, war, and oppression for this to be it. I just need some encouragment to pick my feet back up and get on with my life.
Your post interested me, but can you ID what is your elemental concern? Are you seeking personal fulfillment with or without an attachment to a spiritual or religious identity? Where does the gamut conspircy theories fit in? Help me connect the dots.

"There is a special place in Hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright, first woman U. S. Secretary of State.
#5 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 AM

I'm sorry you're feeling down Sublime. I don't follow any one religious path so I can't direct you to any particular group.

For me, when I've felt the way you're feeling, I seek out writers whose works I find inspirational. I also get outside, pick up on the energy of nature and try to comfort myself with small pleasures (cup of favourite tea, favourite musice, yoga etc.) It's so personal really. Right now I'm reading a book called "A Persistent Peace: One Man's Struggle for a Nonviolent World" which I'm enjoying as it is quite motivational. I find reading certain scripture from the Bible and the Qu'ran inspirational. Poetry helps me connect. And just some of the profound experiences I've had during Reiki sessions is enough to make me know there is something out there beyond what we see today.

Lastly, not sure if this applies to you but I'm somewhat extroverted so when I get out in the world and connect meaningfully with people, I am filled with hope.

I'm not talking about you - I don't know you - but for me I have found if I go to a certain church and expect the church and its doctrines to fill my spiritual needs - not going to happen. But if I work on developing my spirituality outside the walls of a church - when I set foot in one, it seems to work better for me.

Good luck!
#6 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeMom View Post
Your post interested me, but can you ID what is your elemental concern? Are you seeking personal fulfillment with or without an attachment to a spiritual or religious identity? Where does the gamut conspircy theories fit in? Help me connect the dots.
I don't really know what I'm seeking, honestly. I guess maybe I didn't need to bring up the conspircy theories... lol... except that they have kind of made me loose a sense of hope for our world. I just want to know that there is something beyond this life and that this is not everything. Our peace and freedom on earth are not garunteed and at any moment can be swept up from under our feet. I just wonder how God or Goddess could let that happen and what the ultimate plan is for our lives, which I'm finding rather depressing at this point. I hope that makes since.
#7 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
For me, when I've felt the way you're feeling, I seek out writers whose works I find inspirational. I also get outside, pick up on the energy of nature and try to comfort myself with small pleasures (cup of favourite tea, favourite musice, yoga etc.) It's so personal really. Right now I'm reading a book called "A Persistent Peace: One Man's Struggle for a Nonviolent World" which I'm enjoying as it is quite motivational. I find reading certain scripture from the Bible and the Qu'ran inspirational. Poetry helps me connect. And just some of the profound experiences I've had during Reiki sessions is enough to make me know there is something out there beyond what we see today.

Lastly, not sure if this applies to you but I'm somewhat extroverted so when I get out in the world and connect meaningfully with people, I am filled with hope.

I'm not talking about you - I don't know you - but for me I have found if I go to a certain church and expect the church and its doctrines to fill my spiritual needs - not going to happen. But if I work on developing my spirituality outside the walls of a church - when I set foot in one, it seems to work better for me.

Good luck!
Thank you for responding. I've been reading a lot of Ghandi lately and I really feel inspired by his words. I wish that everyone would realize that the way to peace and freedom is nonviolence.

Because I grew up in the catholic church I find a sense of peace in ritual and the fellowship other people. I don't even care if they don't agree with me just as long as we can get along and pick up positive vibrations from each other. The Catholic church is not for me though. I can't identify with the strict dogma anymore (if I ever did) and knowing the true history of the church makes it a little hard for me as well.
#8 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 12:31 PM

Sublime, may i echo Tuesday? Self fulfillment comes from within, so taking time to enrich yourself is very important. I enjoy making a great cup of coffee and walking barefoot in the grass. It is among my creation of Zen moments. Although I am introverted, I, too, have to get outside myself to get out in the world and connect meaningfully with people and other things I enjoy. As a result, I, too, am filled with hope.

I fell away from my religion for a very long time, but I have returned like a beginner to listen, an observer with some knowledge to start, to see where it takes me. I listen anew to the gospel saying and then the church's interpretation. I am left to go away with new thoughts and approaches for the week on how it pertains to me, and how I can incorporate it in my life. It is like going to a public speaking engagement in which I have an interest. Whether I "rejoin" is irrelevant at this point because I am in baby-steps.

I, too, look for inspirational thoughts, quotes, books, and programs. I enjoy the Tao, Bible, and Eastern thought that speaks to "being present in the moment". As a woman, I have read about the personalities of the mythologic goddesses. I enjoy festivals and customs, and ceremony especially for family.

I just found a wonderful book, Christ Among Us: a modern presentation of the Catholic faith, the classic introduction to Catholicism. I am using it openmindedly to clarify, dispel, connect, explain the faith in which i was raised and do connect with. So much misuderstanding abounds in this world about Christianity, so i am reeducating myself. I have dropped my preconceived notions and replacing ignorance. At the same time, I am watching a FRONTLINE program now available on the computer called From jesus to Christ http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...eligion/watch/ I had seen it when it came out, but I am now using it kind of like a tool to understand history and Christ from historic-sociologic-political perspectives of the time to explain where we as societies got to today. it is convenient to watch it in segments and replay when necessary.

i am completely open to learning about other religions. I just need to know what "speaks to me" as a way of understanding what I feel and need. None of the things I mention means that I am endorsing "joining" any particular religion to you, but only to provide pointers to ways of how I continue to hone my sense of fulfillment. A good cup of tea in the right moment never hurts either, and a stop to smell the roses does wonders for the spirit.

i have every confidence that you are on your journey! : Keep us posted.

"There is a special place in Hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright, first woman U. S. Secretary of State.
#9 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 12:36 PM

there is Hope.

#10 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM

I'm not Catholic - so please don't think I'm trying to push one particular path; recently I read Led By Faith by this woman Immaculee I. To read about the Rwandan genocide that happened under our noses such a short time ago, to learn about a woman whose entire family was slaughtered and then to read about how she grew closer to God - wow - it was inspiring.

http://www.immaculee.com/

Just another thought too - pray to the God/Goddess/Universe - pray pray pray. When I was at the lowest point of my life, I felt that there might be something out there in Universe but wasn't sure. I was so desperate, prayed prayed prayed for help. And the help arrived. Things shifted so profoundly, so positively in my life, that I've not ever doubted there was something out there listening to my prayer.

(Of course, I've had some weird supernatural stuff happen to me too - which to me at least confirms this reality is not the only one! I sound flakey I know but it's all true.)
#11 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your kind words and inspiration. I have been praying a lot lately. Praying for faith or something... Hope definately. Not really knowing if I'm even praying to anyone or if my prayers are being heard. I've been through some pretty low points but I don't think I've ever felt this low. I know I should feel blessed that I get to breath and live and experience love... ugh, I'll come out of it. Thank all for your inspiration and suggestions. They have helped me a lot.
#12 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM

Just wanted to recommend a great book that makes you feel happy, uplifted, and kinds of wonderful.

Same Soul, Many Bodies by Weiss

It is spiritual, but far from preachy. It speaks of author's view on spirituality, and our purpose, etc. It doesn't try to convince you of anything, but I felt really good when I was done reading it.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#13 of 16 Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Just wanted to recommend a great book that makes you feel happy, uplifted, and kinds of wonderful.

Same Soul, Many Bodies by Weiss

It is spiritual, but far from preachy. It speaks of author's view on spirituality, and our purpose, etc. It doesn't try to convince you of anything, but I felt really good when I was done reading it.
Thank you!
#14 of 16 Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM

did you make a treasure map??? (it's not too late! just do it before the full moon... i think the 8th?) just the process of finding things that draw you can help you find your way without you really thinking you're aware of what you're doing.... kwim?

also, since people are rec'ing books, i have been inspired by this one many times...

(and, just have to plug this one... if you're wanting to explore different ways of practicing paganism, last year's summer camp has some amazing stuff in it..... <it's really really really long, though....>

hugs!!!

eta: a quick-fix, get your energy back sort of thing, try this! ;-)
#15 of 16 Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
did you make a treasure map??? (it's not too late! just do it before the full moon... i think the 8th?) just the process of finding things that draw you can help you find your way without you really thinking you're aware of what you're doing.... kwim?

also, since people are rec'ing books, i have been inspired by this one many times...

(and, just have to plug this one... if you're wanting to explore different ways of practicing paganism, last year's summer camp has some amazing stuff in it..... <it's really really really long, though....>

hugs!!!

eta: a quick-fix, get your energy back sort of thing, try this! ;-)
aweynsayl, these are awesome additions. I just did the last quick-fix from your link. I was smiling from ear to ear when i was done!

#16 of 16 Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I did make a treasure map! I love it!!! I made it the night of the new moon with a couple of friends.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page