prayer/amulet for safe travel? any tradition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lately i find i get nervous when in a lot of traffic. i am all the time saying under my breath "we will get there safely." i feel silly about this, but feel i need help to allay my fears.

i'd be interested to hear if anyone has a protective prayer, or a blessed item they keep in the car, for safe journeys.

i remember my brother going alone overseas, my grandmother giving him a St. Christopher medal to protect him. i think my car needs something like this...or maybe i do.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#2 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Prayer for Safe Travel -

Lord Jesus Christ my God, be my Companion, guide and protector during my journey. Keep me from all danger, misfortune and temptation. By Your divine power grant me a peaceful and successful journey and safe arrival. In You I place my hope and trust and You I praise, honor and glorify, together with Your Father and Holy Spirit now and forever and ever. Amen.

Lord Jesus, You traveled with the two disciples after the resurrection and set their hearts on fire with Your grace. Travel also with me and gladden my heart with Your presence. I know, Lord, that I am a pilgrim on this earth, seeking the citizenship which is in heaven. During my journey surround me with Your holy angels and keep me safe from seen and unseen dangers. Grant that I may carry out my plans and fulfill my expectations according to Your will. Help me to see the beauty of creation and to comprehend the wonder of Your truth in all things. For You are the way, the truth and the life, and to You I give thanks, praise and glory forever. Amen

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 AM

Lilyka, that's a lovely prayer!

We have rosaries in our vehicles (started when we were given my FIL's old car and he left a rosary in the glove compartment).

I am a nervous driver too, and I find saying a rosary under my breath really helps. I use my fingers on the steering wheel to count off the decades.

We used to have a St. Christopher prayer card and my dd would read the prayer - got lost a while back though.

Now my kids chant the following (extremely modified) version of the St Christopher prayer we used to read when we buckle up:

1-2-3-4
Jesus keep us safe once more!
5-6-7-8
Jesus keep our path real straight!
9 and then 10
Keep our car safe till we pray this prayer again!
RED SEA!!!

[short for "Please guide us safely through traffic as God guided Moses and the Israelites across the Red Sea"]

Not really poetic as travel traditions go, but its all ours

My dd gave me a Moses action figure as a bit of a joke and I stuck it on my dash to remind me of the Red Sea. I am careful not to think of it like I do the rosary, as a sacred object in itself, because Moses would probably have hated that (the Golden Calf incident really enraged him). It helps me to visualize the traffic parting before me and makes me smile.

I have been in some hairy situations in the last year or so, driving through horrible snowstorms, near the eye of tornadoes more than once. When I am really frightened and can't see the road ahead of me, I feel the spirit of my dad and my FIL as though they were in the car with me -- In life, they were both EXTREMELY safety conscious people and excellent drivers and I always felt safe with them behind the wheel.
#4 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
1-2-3-4
Jesus keep us safe once more!
5-6-7-8
Jesus keep our path real straight!
9 and then 10
Keep our car safe till we pray this prayer again!
RED SEA!!!
love it!!!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM

I have a 4-way travlers cross on my visor. It came with a matching key ring :-D
As for a prayer, I usually just as St. Christopher and Our Lady of the Highway to pray for me.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#6 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM

I love that prayer ! I keep an icon of St. Michael and the Theotokas. I used to have a St. Christopher visor clip. You can get them at Catholic supply stores.
#7 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Well, they do sell those angels that say "don't drive faster than your angel can fly".

On a more serious note, I find that soothing music helps as well as keeping something meaningful to me on my key chain, or in my bag, or in my pocket. I keep a set of angel wings (pin) that my now passed mother gave me attached to my diaper bag. I used to carry a Cherokee Bear claw (which is also my tattoo) attached to my key chain. I also sometimes carry small stones in my pocket if I'm going somewhere scary. Stones that carry energy and are protective. I wear protective stones as well in jewelry, tiger's eye and black onyx to be specific.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#8 of 17 Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for these ideas, and your personal stories. i appreciate the replies.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#9 of 17 Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefilat_HaDerech

Quote:
English translation

May it be Your will, LORD, our God and the God of our ancestors, that You lead us toward peace, guide our footsteps toward peace, and make us reach our desired destination for life, gladness, and peace. May You rescue us from the hand of every foe, ambush along the way, and from all manner of punishments that assemble to come to earth. May You send blessing in our handiwork, and grant us grace, kindness, and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all who see us. May You hear the sound of our humble request because You are God Who hears prayer requests. Blessed are You, Adonai, Who hears prayer.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#10 of 17 Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 AM

When I was a child every time I would ride with my aunt she would say this prayer to Michael the arch angel:

Lord Michael before, Lord Michael behind
Lord Michael to the East, Lord Michael to the West
Lord Michael above, Lord Michael below
Lord Michael, Lord Michael wherever we go.

I still say it sometimes when I'm nervous in the car or before a long journey
#11 of 17 Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM

BelovedBird - thats so beautiful.

#12 of 17 Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 AM

I have an evil eye bracelet on the dashboard. I like to believe that it deflects/absorbs road rage. Also, before entering hairy intersections/highways, I cross myself 3 times and pray something like "dear God, please keep me/ds/dh/anyone else in the car safe as we easily & safely enter the intersection/freeway/scary situation. Please keep us & the car safe and the journey smooth & safe. " For some reason, making up my own prayer feels really sincere & makes me feel safer than using a pre-written one.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#13 of 17 Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
Well, they do sell those angels that say "don't drive faster than your angel can fly".

On a more serious note, I find that soothing music helps as well as keeping something meaningful to me on my key chain, or in my bag, or in my pocket. I keep a set of angel wings (pin) that my now passed mother gave me attached to my diaper bag. I used to carry a Cherokee Bear claw (which is also my tattoo) attached to my key chain. I also sometimes carry small stones in my pocket if I'm going somewhere scary. Stones that carry energy and are protective. I wear protective stones as well in jewelry, tiger's eye and black onyx to be specific.
Nice, i haven't worn stones in a while, thanks for the reminder.

I love all the prayers I've seen here. We have a rosary in the car, plus I remember my late Aunt putting salt in a bag in the car for journey, I still have the bag I should add some salt!.
I would also like to put a hamza and evil-eye-deflector stone (sorry I don't know the English word lol!) it's a stone from Turkey.

St.Christopher medal always helps.

Also, I have heard (never done this) of people who sprinkle holy water on the car if you get a weird vibe from the car or for protection. I don't know if you need special permission to do that or if it's ok to sprinkle? It was suggested to me once as my baby wouldn't stop crying in the car, and we bought a used car so they thought that might help (ie: any bad energy there, I think sage would help, but it turned out to be just the bucket seat bugged her lol).

What else? Guardian angel prayers to keep one safe always helps. Angel symbols also are nice. I think too if I am stuck in traffic with bad drivers I'd prefer St. Mihael to be there!
#14 of 17 Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 PM

i use stones (on me and in the car... labrodorite is a good one for travel, i also like black stones for protection, and yellow for positive energy),

i cleanse the car (esp after i found a huge poisionous spider in it, and ds's car seat mysteriously became unfastened, fortunately, he noticed and told me!),

and i use eft/tapping and affirmations to release fears/build confidence.

i also have a thing about naming the car (even rental cars get temporary names, the one time we didnt, we had an accident....).
#15 of 17 Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM

As you already know, St. Christopher is the patron saint of travelers, so if you want to follow that tradition you could get a saint icon for your car. Here are a couple options:
Icon and Cross
Car Magnet
Statuette

If you would prefer to use a stone or crystal, Jade is supposed to help ensure safe travel. You could wear Jade jewelry or hang a Jade amulet from your rearview mirror. Here are a couple options:
Jade Good Luck Clover Car Charm
Chinese Character Good Luck Pendant
Jade Bell with Vase
Sunstone and Garnet are also good for travel and Haematite is supposed to help relieve travel stress.

If you like the idea of a protective animal spirit, you could hang an animal totem amulet in your car. This page has lots of different animals.

If the idea of deceased ancestors watching over you works for you, you could hang something belonging to an ancestor in your car.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#16 of 17 Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM

Don't forget St. Joseph. He is also a patron Saint of travel as it was he who safely guided the Virgin Mary to Bethlehem and then she and Baby Jesus to Egypt. He is an oft forgotten protector of travelers.

St Joseph, Patron of the Church, Protector of the Virgin Mary and the Infant Jesus, please watch over me as carefully as you watched over your Holy Family. Protect me and guide me as you did with your adopted Son, Jesus. Amen.

I simply ask St. Joseph to bless and protect me on any journey. And I always pray to him when I am lost and he always answers. :-)

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#17 of 17 Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM

A friend once told me to picture a silver-lined bubble surrounding myself or any vehicle that I am traveling in. At the beginning of a trip I imagine myself spinning or blowing up this bubble which is kind of bouncy but very strong and won't allow any harm to come to me, any other car to hit mine etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page