Taoist mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else into taoism? i really find it helpful during my pregnancy - keeping me peaceful and light, and helping with a deep connection to the little one squirming around in me.

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
#2 of 10 Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1065324

a nice starting discussion!

Namaste
#3 of 10 Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I've been reading about Taoism, anyone want to bring life to this thread?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#4 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM

if you haven't already, check out the Taoist Alan Watts. read his books or check out the many videos on youtube. he's AMAZING!!!!:

on the less serious side, my 8 month old made a yin yang poop on the bathroom floor the other night after we got out of the shower. i kid you not. one half of the poop was dark and the other half was light and it was curled around like a yin yang. my husband almost took a photo of it, but then figured that would be as kooky as the religious nuts who see Jesus in their cheese toast.
we love our little Tao-angel. :P
#5 of 10 Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofHero View Post
if you haven't already, check out the Taoist Alan Watts. read his books or check out the many videos on youtube. he's AMAZING!!!!:

on the less serious side, my 8 month old made a yin yang poop on the bathroom floor the other night after we got out of the shower. i kid you not. one half of the poop was dark and the other half was light and it was curled around like a yin yang. my husband almost took a photo of it, but then figured that would be as kooky as the religious nuts who see Jesus in their cheese toast.
we love our little Tao-angel. :P
LOL @ yin yang poop. And

#6 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
:
#7 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:

on the less serious side, my 8 month old made a yin yang poop on the bathroom floor the other night after we got out of the shower. i kid you not. one half of the poop was dark and the other half was light and it was curled around like a yin yang.

You so should have taken a pic!
#8 of 10 Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM

I just watched a few Alan Watts videos. Interesting, I like his teaching. What I get so far out of Taoism, is that everything is already how it's supposed to be. If you stub your toe, it hurts, because it's supposed to hurt. If you feel happy, it's because you're supposed to feel happy. I've read most of the Tao of Pooh, and it mentions a painting called the vinegar tasters and said Lao Tzu is the only one smiling. I figure it's because he realizes that the vinegar tastes just like it's supposed to.

#9 of 10 Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
I just watched a few Alan Watts videos. Interesting, I like his teaching. What I get so far out of Taoism, is that everything is already how it's supposed to be. If you stub your toe, it hurts, because it's supposed to hurt. If you feel happy, it's because you're supposed to feel happy. I've read most of the Tao of Pooh, and it mentions a painting called the vinegar tasters and said Lao Tzu is the only one smiling. I figure it's because he realizes that the vinegar tastes just like it's supposed to.
not necessarily what is "supposed" to be (because that suggests a forced will), but what simply IS.
but yes, you understand the concept!
"Zen is a way of liberation, concerned not with discovering what is good or bad or advantageous, but what is."
This philosophy personally helps me with parenting-- seeing my baby's head-rattling screams, and the poop, and the messes, and the exhaustion, etc as all beautiful parts of the dance; not "negative" aspects, but essential parts of a whole.

Currently reading The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are,
a free pdf file here:
http://www.leary.ru/download/watts/B...0You%20Are.pdf
and it's beautiful.
#10 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 AM

I would like to know more about this if anyone can let me know please.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page