Church history book for kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some ideas on a book on Church history for elementary school aged kids. We are looking at doing the Ambleside program with our dd in a few years, and are starting to look for texts and stuff, second hand when possible.

The text they recommend is Trial and Triumph, which they describe as being Very Protestant. I'd rather something less Protestant, though perhaps not too overtly catholic either. Ideally, a text that presents what happened and lets me make the commentary.

But any suggestions that are more overly catholic would be ok too - I suspect I may just have to pick the best of the lot.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#2 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

This post didn't get many replies! I've looked closer at the recommended text though, and decided it's fine - it's set up as a series of little biographies, from the early days of the church up to C.S. Lewis and beyond. Overall, it seems quite well done. If you wanted to present figures like Luther differently it would still be a good resource, but generally I feel it's best to present them from their own point of view and then comment on that, IYKWIM?

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#4 of 8 Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM

You might check out Materamabilis.org . It is a Catholic charlotte Mason program similar to Ambleside.

I think i spelled it right. If not, you can just google" catholic charlotte mason" and that will get you there.
#5 of 8 Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the reason you didn't get many replies is because the pickins are slim.
here is what we used

http://www.paideaclassics.org/index....=book&ref=2322
http://www.paideaclassics.org/index....=book&ref=2323

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 8 Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 AM

I was going to suggest Trial and Triumph;0.
We've been using it for 2 years in Ambleside. I think it's pretty well written.
You can pre-read them and choose what to omit or discuss if you want to do a "re-direct"
#7 of 8 Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the issue I had with trial and triumph is that it didn't talkk much about pre-reformation church histrory (the first 3/4 of church history) giving it only a couple of references. like nothing happened in those first 1500 years. it also didn't talk about the great schism (which ultimately lead to the reformation) which is a HUGE part of church history. it also didn't talk about the Orthodox church which is part of church history, present and future. but it dedicated a phenominal amount of space to modern protestant history. which is great if you are protestant. kinda a side note if you are not. while i really enjoyed the first few entries I quickly lost interst since it did not apply to us in any way (except as an interesting side note) and left out the bulk of church history as well as what I would consider some of the most important things.

for us reading the church Fathers is a good history. I am sure a lot of our Fathers are the same as the Roman Catholics and that you have a bunch of your own. well written, relevent, certainly not twaddle.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 8 Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
the issue I had with trial and triumph is that it didn't talkk much about pre-reformation church histrory (the first 3/4 of church history) giving it only a couple of references. like nothing happened in those first 1500 years. it also didn't talk about the great schism (which ultimately lead to the reformation) which is a HUGE part of church history. it also didn't talk about the Orthodox church which is part of church history, present and future. but it dedicated a phenominal amount of space to modern protestant history. which is great if you are protestant. kinda a side note if you are not. while i really enjoyed the first few entries I quickly lost interst since it did not apply to us in any way (except as an interesting side note) and left out the bulk of church history as well as what I would consider some of the most important things.

for us reading the church Fathers is a good history. I am sure a lot of our Fathers are the same as the Roman Catholics and that you have a bunch of your own. well written, relevant, certainly not twaddle.

As far as Anglican "Fathers" go, I somehow can't see reading Richard Hooker with a six year old! But I'm glad you pointed out that Trial and Triumph had little Orthodox material, because I hadn't actually thought about that.

I'd actually like my girls to have a good handle on Protestantism, even the kind I don't subscribe to. I always find it a bit embarrassing when people who aren't Protestant (or Catholic or whatever) make comments that show they have a bizarre understanding of what the other group thinks - and there are some doozies out there for sure. A situation I would like to avoid with my kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page