July Pagan Circle - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
what kind of diet? low-carby? i will do my best to be your diet partner, if that helps any. after tomorrow, though
it helps me to be accountable, so i'll do it with you if you feel it will help you!
i eat low carb sorta... potatoes once a week. gluten-free grains rarely. never gluten. but darn it - if winter squash and sweet potatoes aren't my downfall. along with maple syrup.

i do nut butter cookies with only a teeny tiny touch of sugar - i should prolly try using stevia in part of the next batch. my pancakes are also nut butter and never have sugar in them - that's what the maple syrup is for!

i found an awesome bread recipe using nut meal (your choice), ground flax, and eggs.

otherwise, we eat just meat and veggies and some fruit (dh and ds rely on that food group more than i), with a focus on local offerings.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#422 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Hi Ladies,

I haven't been around much, but I pop in and try to catch up when I can. I've been trying to find time to read my Higginbotham book on Paganism, but have been so caught up with crochet and knitting, and trying to transform my home into something more organized and peaceful that it's still waiting on my nightstand.

I just came across these lovely seasonal figures that I thought might look lovely on an altar: http://www.achildsdream.com/celebrat...ture_table.htm

Pricey but beautiful! Perhaps they could inspire a home crafting project at least

Take care all :
those are awesome! if you reverse engineer, could you share your instructions?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#423 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
liza - awesome! when are you having a paganmama dinner party? (with fish on the menu, of course)
It's funny you should say such a thing. I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a harvest celebration. Any of you in Alaska (southcentral specifically)? I don't know any other pagan families here - but its not like I've ever made a real effort.

And here's my tangent: When I first moved here - 10 years ago end of August - I tried to meet a few other pagans. The folks I met were extremely flakey in multiple ways. I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago who's vegan and she was complaining that at the veggie gatherings she goes to there are just so many flakes. I commented that I've had the same experience (with veggies, when I was one and with other "non-traditional/mainstream groups"). I've had the impression that groups like veggies or pagans attract some folks who general don't fit in or don't want to - but in the group they are more joiners that real participants or believers. But then that makes feel like I am being super-judgemental. I guess it has just led me to be more and more solitary. DH is basically a hermit and would be fine with little interaction with other folks except for what he has at work. My closest mom friends are an atheist & a Jesus-lover (not a church-goer though) and an on-again/off-again Catholic.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#424 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 AM

Happy Lammas!

::::

How can my baby be 10!!??

Off to figure out what our day is to become.

Maryhippie.gif

#425 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Happy August to everyone. Hoping it's not going to be another humid day.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#426 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Good Mornin'! Happy Lammas Mamas!

My dad called and is taking the girls, so I think I will celebrate tomorrow. Menu- millet, fresh veggies with some type of dressing, chicken stuffed with zukes, squash and cheese (breaded) and blueberry tart (or pie). I will give an offering and spend the day outside.

We had a very rainy camping- rained as we set up, rained when we cooked dinner thursday, rained as we were leaving. Yep, it sure did rain. In good news, we had two fires and the girls caught fireflies for the first time. : It was a joy watching them!

I have caught up- will try and add to the convo later.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#427 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
This is going on in my community also. From my point of view, I am against hunting unless you are going to eat your kill. My land is posted, so people can't hunt on it.
I totally agree. One of my best friends' in-laws own a deer processing place and I know probably hundreds of hunters and only a small percentage eat or use any of it. It's very sad to me. I love deer. It's mostly sport hunting it seems.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#428 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 AM

Happy Lammas everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
what kind of diet? low-carby? i will do my best to be your diet partner, if that helps any. after tomorrow, though
it helps me to be accountable, so i'll do it with you if you feel it will help you!
yeah i might need help sticking to it.

Quote:
i eat low carb sorta... potatoes once a week. gluten-free grains rarely. never gluten. but darn it - if winter squash and sweet potatoes aren't my downfall. along with maple syrup.

i do nut butter cookies with only a teeny tiny touch of sugar - i should prolly try using stevia in part of the next batch. my pancakes are also nut butter and never have sugar in them - that's what the maple syrup is for!

i found an awesome bread recipe using nut meal (your choice), ground flax, and eggs.

otherwise, we eat just meat and veggies and some fruit (dh and ds rely on that food group more than i), with a focus on local offerings.
all i want is giant glasses of chocolate milk. i crave it. even reg whole milk. i can live without bread, corn , potatoes, etc.... even bday cake sigh. but i have to have chocolate milk and it is driving me crazy.

i am going to go to the nutrtion forum and see if there is a thread on these diets. le sigh....

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#429 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Happy Lammas! :

I'm delaying celebration to tomorrow (or later); woke up to a sick dog this morning after a mostly sleepless night - I just feel like sleeping right now and can't leave home to get the corn anyway.

Valérie   
#430 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
dh would just love to build a bunker into the hillside! but then he likes planning for the end of the world.
that's not necessarily a bad thing, preparedness. as long as it doesn't go overboard, y'know?

Quote:
and that's what we've been teaching ds. we only shoot things if we're going to eat them. too bad Star Wars and daycare friends don't follow those rules.

but the troublemaker, blaster-loving, Star Wars fan, daycare friend Henry is gone for the moment, so ds is back to his old mild-mannered train-loving self. my not-so-secret hope is that Henry would move to Hong Kong instead of just visiting it...
Your ds knows the difference, cause he's a smart kid-- and if he doesn't, you can point out the difference btw "TV (or movie) hunters" and "real hunters". Even using those words. That's how I taught ds about Witches, using the words "movie witches and Real Witches".
Real Hunters should use all the parts of the deer.
TV hunters shoot bad guys (or whatever).

HAPPY LAMMAS, EVERYONE!

we're having my single mama friend over, with her dd, and we're feasting on baked flounder, Cari's zucchini-corn thing that she posted awhile back, honey-wheat bread with almonds, and fresh berry tartlets. MMM :

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#431 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Happy Lammas!!

Mama to an angel boy and a pixie girl
#432 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Happy Lammas! :

I'm doing the low-carb thing, too... It's hard, but it's much much easier for me than anything which involves counting calories thanks to a history of disordered eating (once I start counting calories, I start restricting *heavily* ). I like the idea of a diet upon which I can eat until I'm full. It's expensive, so I eat a lot of eggs.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#433 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 PM

I celebrated the day by going to a cheap haircut place and getting my hair cut and colored. On top of the discount I get, I paid less than I would have for just a haircut someplace else.

Later, I'll read The Gigantic Turnip to ds and talk about harvesting foods. (hey, it pays to sell fabulous kids books. tee hee). He gets a serious case of the giggles when I read that story.

#434 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I celebrated the day by going to a cheap haircut place and getting my hair cut and colored. On top of the discount I get, I paid less than I would have for just a haircut someplace else.

ooh, send pics!

my friend took pics of us today. i'll have to ask her to send me them so i can show you guys. i looked like a toad...but i'll swallow it and post anyway. i have trouble accepting what i look like anymore

the berry tarts came out sublime

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#435 of 437 Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 PM

Sorry, no pics.

Ds's simple cold is turning into a respiratory infection. Why oh why does my little one have to have an immune deficiency? He has enough to deal with being on the autism spectrum and having sensory processing disorder. I just want to cry.

I don't want to have to call his father in the middle of the night again to come bring us to the ER. The way ds is coughing, I won't be surprised. This just sucks.

#436 of 437 Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 AM

August pagan thread is up

(for people like me who forget)

#437 of 437 Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I totally agree. One of my best friends' in-laws own a deer processing place and I know probably hundreds of hunters and only a small percentage eat or use any of it. It's very sad to me. I love deer. It's mostly sport hunting it seems.

I'm confused - what do they do with the deer? Can they actually just leave meat out in the field/forest? Up here, I believe that is illegal - unless it's a bear in some cases (their meat can be funky in taste & quality). There are even rules/laws about the order in which you pack things out if it takes more than one trip - meat, then hide & horns/antlers. Even if you kill a bear in defense of life/property, you have to harvest the hide & skull and turn it into Fish & Game (its sold at auction). I know my DH has written citations for wanton waste of fish & game before if somebody didn't handle the meat appropriately. It is disgusting if people are hunting and leaving to rot perfectly good meat - that is disgusting from a moral, ethical & just biological perspective.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page