July Pagan Circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
Well, I see a full day of baking, cooking and freezing in my future. Here is what I got from our CSA share and other share:
Cherries
Black Raspberries
Loads of lettuce
Carrots
Peppers
Yellow squash
Radishes
Kale
Green Beans
Fava(sp?) Beans
Swish Chard
Garlic Snapes
Onion, lots of onion
and this is one share? we have 2 shares (2 different CSAs) and i rarely have enough to get from pickup to pickup - one's on Saturday and one's on Wednesday. and there's only 2.5 of us (ds doesn't eat a full person's share of veggies yet). then again, we've been getting mostly unfreezable stuff (lettuces, green onions, garlic scapes) so far. zukes and yellow squashes are just coming in now... but we had so many radishes... dh hates radishes but ds will eat (begrudgingly) steamed radishes with butter. of course, after the garlic scapes were done, i found a recipe for garlic scape pesto. i also found a recipe for radish leaf pesto that came in handy. i'm becoming pesto queen here. we also don't get near the variety of fruit. i'm gonna go pout now.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! See? I'm back already! lol...

Lucien will be 8 months old on the 13th! Man time flies! He's so gorgeous, everyone who meets says he's the most beautiful baby they've ever seen! He's nearly crawling, tho I think he'll be swimming before he walks. He's almost on his hands and knees, currently he's doin the belly crawl. EVERYWHERE! I love it!
Summer is amazing! My life is so rough... every morning I wake up, make coffee and start feeding Lucien his breakfast. Then I wash him up, pour some coffee and grab a bowl of cereal and head down to the pool deck. I bring his little exersaucer for him to play in while I eat, drink and read the paper. Then we swim for about two hours and he naps while I tan. I make everyone lunch, then swim and tan. Then make dinner. LOL... see? I know you all feel sorry for me.

We just got home from the auction but I'll add some new pics to my flickr account then share with everyone tomorrow!

much love ladies!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:48 AM

Hello Mamas,

I have an odd question, and I am sure it will be the first of many as this is the first time I have found this thread. Has anyone after near 17 years of being Pagan, and 10 years without having negative feelings about their raised in religion found themselves again having issues with the religion pushed on them as a child? I am finding it really odd after all this peaceful time in myself as far as faith that again I am feeling negative things about something I thought I was over.

Does that make sense? LOL

Needing some perspective.

Blessings,
Kontessa

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_SS View Post
Hi everyone! See? I'm back already! lol...

Lucien will be 8 months old on the 13th! !
Already?? That seemed fast! Look forward to the piccies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
but we had so many radishes... dh hates radishes but ds will eat (begrudgingly) steamed radishes with butter. of course, after the garlic scapes were done, i found a recipe for garlic scape pesto. i also found a recipe for radish leaf pesto that came in handy. i'm becoming pesto queen here. we also don't get near the variety of fruit. i'm gonna go pout now.
LOL I'm with your dh, I fail to see the point of radishes.. to the point that I refuse to grow the suckers. The only thing I've ever seen done with them was sliced & tossed in a salad for crunchiness. Those pesto's are sounding nice! Me & dh make a mean pesto whenever the basil gets ready for a nice haircut. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post
I have an odd question, and I am sure it will be the first of many as this is the first time I have found this thread. Has anyone after near 17 years of being Pagan, and 10 years without having negative feelings about their raised in religion found themselves again having issues with the religion pushed on them as a child?
I think that different aspects of our lives will bring up reminders of things we hated way back when, and I'd say that's pretty normal (not that I'm a therapist ) I don't think it's possible to get all the negative out at once, because there will always be a situation that creeps out of nowhere that highlights a memory that really affected you.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 AM

:

Nicole

My baby is 4 today! ::::

We're heading to the city so I think I'll bring her to the Pagan/Esoteric store so she can pick a crystal/stone from their stone chest.

I might get a special bead and embroidery floss to make a bracelet for her (and a matching one for me

Valérie   
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Bluets- I have a half share at one place and a full share at another. If we had a whole share at the one, I would have greens stored everywhere. I can't imagine eating so many darned greens. lol

Negative stuff- yep, comes and goes with me. right now, I am pretty comfy where I am but stuff comes up when I get together with family and stuff like that. Usually I do some reading and meditating, then cleansing and get back on track.

Valerie- woohoo, Happy Birthday DD!The bead idea is great!

Sage- really, 8 months already? Yes, share pics.

Well more cleaning today and cooking and cooking. *oy* I am trying to make up dishes with ingredients right away and then freeze them so they don't go to waste.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Ds is hooked........ on beading. We went to a bead store yesterday and the owner was just so nice. She showed him how to measure for a bracelet and then he chose his beads. He was so excited. She had string the beads but she put the clasps on.
So very easy and only cost $3 (and change)!

We will go back next week because he wants to make a necklace.
I'm wondering if I can discreetly show him how he can put his intent/energy into the beads/beading.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM

DOK- cool!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Internet ate my message! Ack ack ack!

DoK- awwwww... too cute! Maybe a book on the meanings of symbols (especially egyptian if he likes that right now)? When dd1 was doing her treasure map I'd ask her what she saw/felt in each image so maybe play a game of sorts at the bead store? "Which bead looks hot? Which bead looks happy? Which bead feels sleepy?"

Sage- you poor poor puppy, you! But you deserve some down time after that crazy pregnancy... so enjoy the sun, pool, and cute babe.

CSA- our share last year was nice and we could take the girls to the farms for "you pick" veggies (items that were high cost/labor intensive were "limited" to you pick). That CSA filled up really quickly his year though and we're giving a new one a try. Our current CSA has a pickup at the local Farmer's Market (scary busy, and you have to wonder just how green it is to shop at a farmer's market when you then let your car idle for 45 minutes to an hour while waiting for a spot to park... we park and walk about 15 minutes to reach the market). Each week there is a "limited" item but everything else is "as much as you want" and you're welcome to come to both pickup days to "re-load" as necessary.

This week the share is: Sugar Snap Peas (only two handfulls though), Shell Peas, Kale, Collards, Lettuce, Bok Choi, Napa Cabbage, Kohlrabi, Swiss Chard, Escarole, Scallions, Broccoli, Radicchio, Parsley, and Savoy Cabbage, Green Cabbage, Cucumbers.

Kontessa- anything happen recently to stir up these emotions? I know I went from feeling like I'd moved past my childhood religious experiences until dd1 was born and my parents started "pushing". Dh and I found a new balance and moved on, but when my dad became ill and my mom responded in a very "religious" way I found I was right back in the mix again. I think that this is something I will continue to face for the rest of my life... not in a "bad" way necessarily, but just in a "this is the reality that shaped me" way. Sometimes I expect/anticipate the upswelling of emotion/uncertainty that is the legacy of my childhood religious experience and at other times it catches me by surprise, but I think it's pretty normal either way.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM

I love my new CSA... crazy weather here has made a few veggies running late, so no cukes, tomatoes or squash yet.

This week's share = 2 bags lettuce, 2 Kohlrabi, 2 bunches beets, 1 pint snow peas, 2 bags Escarole & 1 bunch Swiss chard. I will be honest I am just about charded out but wouldn't mind seeing more kale (which I probably won't see until fall).

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Kontessa, as the others have said huge life changes can bring up these things. For me it's a little different, because my childhood religious beliefs don't preclude my current ones.

DoK, very cool about the beads! Bean's discovered baseball this week. He loves it and as it turns out, the kid's got some skills. Who knew? It was THRH who suggested it to me: "He likes throwing things. He likes hitting things with sticks. Have you thought about baseball?" It seemed so logical when he put it that way. Now I'm looking for a kid-sized mitt for him for cheap.

l've got to take the kids to the park today. Yesterday they had a playdate, then more playtime, then I took the older three swimming (couldn't find the baby's earplugs and Mike didn't want to go anyway ). At least I can say they're taking full advantage of the weather.

So I'm having an issue that I certainly need to address from a spiritual perspective. Lately I've been finding myself suffering from the "gimmes". Well, not exactly-- it's not that I keep asking for things/time/etc, it's that I feel perpetually as though I don't have enough of anything. Not enough money, not enough time, not enough HRH, etc. I'm working around things, but I don't like having that feeling at all, it kind of casts a shadow over my days.

The simple solution, of course, is to think of myself and my life as abundant... but every. single. time I've tried that, I've gotten pregnant. : I've got four children, and I love them to death but I really don't think I can handle any more. For a long time this was a huge source of pain to me, because on one level I felt as though permanently compromising my fertility would be spiritually detrimental, and that I should really keep having children, as many as I can, in order to remain on a 'right path' and not deny the gift of fertility. That went on until a friend in Bear's DDC who's been struggling with infertility set me straight, and said that she saw choosing to permanently compromise my fertility, as it were, would be my way of saying that I love and wish to care for the children I already have, and that I think of them as a gift to be honored. Something like that, she was far more eloquent and poigniant and I felt SO much better (until I learned that you can't have the Essure procedure done if you're allergic to nickel ).

So yeah, that's where I am. I don't want to get pregnant, but I don't like feeling jealous, like I don't have enough of anything. Granted, time is tight. Money is *extremely* tight (that's putting it mildly) and my sweet redhead is dividing his time between two girlfriends and work already. Things are tense around here... but I don't need to keep feeling as though there just isn't enough. I just don't think that this kind of anxiety is productive, it irritates me to feel bad. I'm not one of those people who enjoys wallowing in misery-- misery pisses me off. I'd rather be happy. But not pregnant again. : Any thoughts?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Singin Angel- I'm so sorry for your loss. I am thinking of you and your sweet one in the hospital. I hope the surgery goes well, and you both can snuggle up and heal together.

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
growing up, dh had religion forced on him by his abusive stepfather. he gets VERY angry when he hears about the political-religious intermingling that goes on between politicians, lobbyists and the various religious leaders. he's been a pantheist for almost 4 years now - but has probably had leanings for more like 10 years. when anything remotely religious comes up on on NPR, we have to turn off the radio - otherwise all i hear is him ranting and not the piece on the radio (which is probably not worth listening too anyway).

spirituality and fertility... well... i actually managed to be the most spiritual back in february when i went through an herbally induced miscarriage. my cycles were way off to begin with so when we dtd -unprotected- i thought it was an ok time but within a day i knew i was pregnant and, more importantly, knew i didn't want to be pregnant. spent a week drinking lots of ascorbate, parsley and ginger root infusions, followed with a weekend (ha - valentine's weekend no less) doing a tincture of pennyroyal/black cohosh and fasting. i did a series of deep meditations that were deeper than i've ever reached and have never been able to get to that state again.

Cari - some of my pesto combinations: basil/lemon basil/dulse with a few anchovies and olives tossed in; basil/lemon basil; cilantro with lemon, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, dulse (but this is a potent detox thing so use with caution); radish leaf; basil/parsley/mint; of course, all of them have some combination of flax oil/EVOO and lots of garlic. i have yet to try the catnip pesto recipe i found... and i've been toying with the idea of red clover pesto. oh, and i found a sundried tomato pesto recipe (uses marjoram, rosemary and parsley i think - found it at herbcompanion.com) that i want to try but dh doesn't like sundried tomato.

i found purslane in my garden! i had to restrain myself from harvesting it - must let it grow. too bad this bed is the easily protected one, being close to the house... but i think next year, i'll have one raised bed for wild edibles. dh's mom planted (haha, no pun intended) the idea of a strawberry pyramid into my head. but that would have to be well protected with netting of some sort. i'm also thinking of a wildlife certification for my garden once i get a bird bath... we've got deer, raccoons, mice, moles, birds, turtles, and now... tada... a fox. dh wouldn't agree to the bee houses or bat houses - he thinks we have enough wildlife. for now. we live in suburbia, on the edge of a (big) campus town, so all this wildlife is a bit of a shocker. our neighborhood is getting more built up, so i'm surprised to be seeing more animals now than when we first moved in. though maybe now that my yard is more animal friendly, they're all just coming into it... the word is getting out!

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 AM

A few months back I mentioned that I celebrate months with a natural theme (e.g. March is the month of owls). Well July is Salmon Month. My son has really enjoyed going out a watching little salmon fry (he's 18 months). (He sees them and rocks his arms like he's rocking a baby since they are baby fish, kinda funny thinking about rocking fish to sleep.)

Okay, here's my question. I am getting a really strong feeling about August. It is for Cranes and Fire (wildfire, spontaneous fire, cleansing fire, expected fire). I am having a strong feeling that cranes and fire go together in a way beyond their southern migration and fire season coinciding. Any of you know any stories/myths that include the two? I keep having this image of a crane with flaming wings. I am not sure if it is a memory of a story or a vision.

My thoughts go out to all of you struggling with sorrow & stress. I hope an easier time is coming soon.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 07-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Any of you know any stories/myths that include the two?
I'll search my website and see if I can find anything.
It does sound familiar though. Although I keep thinking more in the line of the phoenix.

Update: Could it be from the Blackfoot myth?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello and let you know that we are home! DD's surgery was fantastic, even with the malignant hyperthermia risk...we were told at least 72 hours in hospital and she did so great, we were discharged at 10am next day! I'm exhausted though...hospital chairs are not comfortable to sleep...especially post-operatively! 5 hours of sleep in 48 hours...and maybe about 10 since Tuesday, so I napped 4 hours today and I want to go back to sleep (but DH wants to eat out and says it will make me feel better...)

Anyways...I will catch up when I feel like my eyeballs can read again.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

Old 07-12-2009, 05:16 AM

I'm with DoK; I thought of a phoenix first thing. Then I thought of the fairytale The Firebird, which is a Russian fairy tale I learned as a child. I always enjoyed it.

Singin_angel-- glad to hear things went well with your daughter's surgery. How's your recovery going? Refoua shelaima to you both. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 AM

I know... I know... I have been gone forever... and I have missed mdc very much.

I have slipped into one of those stinking depressions that I didn't even see coming; I was so busy just trying to keep up with life. I suppose this is what happens when one chooses to live unconsiously. I wake up, work, go to sleep. Work at home; work at work... it doesn't matter. No rituals, no mdc, no walks in the woods... it all catches up; believe me.

MDC has changed so much; I feel like the new kid all over again.

good witch
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplespirit View Post

MDC has changed so much; I feel like the new kid all over again.
Yes, it has. I've been here a long time (despite what my profile shows) yet I still feel like a newbie.

Hope you're in better spirits. Glad you're back!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Good morning mamas. Wow it's been forever since I have been on the computer. I hope everyone is doing well. I have missed chatting with you all. I have been so busy this summer with family and building a house that I haven'e had time for much of anything else. Man I hope to keep in contact this time.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi mamas. Sorry I've been gone, really stressed out. I don't know if I mentioned this here, but I got served with divorce papers and an order to appear in court for a restraining order. I can't find a lawyer, nobody will take payments and I don't have $900 retainer & $75/hr for the low cost attorney. I need divine intervention at this point, I've called soooo many people.

Been enjoying some of my time with a new guy, not really sure its leading anywhere though it is fun.

I fly out to the east coast (won't say where on here cause of STBX) on Thursday and am there for two weeks. I wish I could stay forever.

I just don't want to be stressed out anymore. STBX leaves Iraq in a few days and I am terrified of what's going to happen next.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
Hi mamas. Sorry I've been gone, really stressed out. I don't know if I mentioned this here, but I got served with divorce papers and an order to appear in court for a restraining order. I can't find a lawyer, nobody will take payments and I don't have $900 retainer & $75/hr for the low cost attorney. I need divine intervention at this point, I've called soooo many people.

Been enjoying some of my time with a new guy, not really sure its leading anywhere though it is fun.

I fly out to the east coast (won't say where on here cause of STBX) on Thursday and am there for two weeks. I wish I could stay forever.

I just don't want to be stressed out anymore. STBX leaves Iraq in a few days and I am terrified of what's going to happen next.
You need good vibes : I am sorry to hear you are going through all of this at once. Blessings to you as you move forward. (((hugs)))

good witch
Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Hiiiiiiiiii Mamas! I'm in NJ for my aunt's memorial. We just got back to the room, from that part. There was time for lots of people to get up and give little impromptu speeches about what my aunt meant to them, and some of that was very sad and some was pretty funny, and it all lasted overlong, but the hard part is over. Ds acted perfectly I am so proud of him! What a little gentleman he was today. I did my best to make a french braid in his long hair, and he had on a purple dress shirt, very black jeans, and a belt, and looked very dapper, considering we never dress up, and don't own true dress-up clothes. Thank the gods for thrift stores.

Tonight we have one more family get-together, and tomorrow, ds and I head for home. I have to register for classes at noon tomorrow, which is why I even have the computer with me-- I can't decide whether to stay here at the hotel until noon to assure an internet connection, or leave early to maximize travel time, and risk trying to find a connection on the road en route at the moment I need it.
I think, 4 hours out from here, I'd be somewhere on the PA Turnpike and I don't recall anywhere on there I could connect to the internet.
I need need need to register right at noon, to assure I get the sections I want!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 07-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Hugs Bella... is there any way to get something like a court appointed lawyer? I know it will work out ok for you in the end, but hopefully there will be a big drop in stress SOON!

Maia- can you plan to call one of your family members from the road and have them register while you walk them through the process? You'd need them to be ready and waiting for your call, and able to do the technical end obviously but maybe that would work? Otherwise I'd probably stay at the hotel... it will make the drive ickier, but I think the stress of having to register at a specific moment combined with not knowing how I'd register at that moment even harder! At least if you're waiting at the hotel you know you can register, and you'll have the space to move around/hang out/ watch tv/etc.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Morning mamas Just thought I'd share I went to an open day at a local belly dance school yesterday, and I'm starting beginners classes tonight : I took classes a few years ago (Quinn is 3 & I had to stop partway thru due to dh's shift change :S ) and I've missed it and it's a great excuse to be out of the house by myself at least one night a week

Maia, good luck getting your classes sorted...with nursing it's always hard to get into the ones you really need. Glad the kiddo was good for you.. sometimes they really surprise us by being perfect just when we need them to

singin.. glad the op went well

Welcome back simplespirit :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-13-2009, 04:35 AM

*sigh*

I wish I had tarot cards. I really feel the need for a reading, just to get a little guidance or something.

Any gals here good at giving readings on internet friends?

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Morning all. Today looks like it will be another beautiful day. Some running around to do, but not an all day thing like it's been.

BellaLuna Rayne, I hope you find an attorney who will take your case.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 AM
gun

Hello all!

The social worker comes out in 2 days for our home inspection and I am uber nervous! But we did a swap at my house w/ friends and they took away a bunch of stuff and l got a bunch of baby boy clothes! That worked out so nicely. Now it's just more and more - Clean, clean, clean!! BTW - we are putting the offer in on the SIL's house today! Going on a short sale so please X your fingers for us that the bank accepts it! Aaack!

Question - I would like to share more of my spirituality w/ SS but at 26mo she is still quite the mad dasher. She only wants me to tell one story about a naughty hair tangling fairy that I made up to help deal w/ all by DD's jumbled curls. That is the only story. Am I just kidding myself because she is so young? For the mamas who's kiddies travel only at the speed of light, how do you do it?

Maia - I hope you just wait at the hotel! So much easier and less stressful!

Bella - Keep calling! Perhaps there is a Woman's service referral center that can help you.

Peace- Heather
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM

Nothing to report.

Just totally enjoying this beautiful day filled with sunshine and the sounds of birds being birds.

:

Maryhippie.gif

Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 AM

This should be a tricky day. My car is at the mechanic. No way of picking it up if it gets fixed. Ds needs to go to an orthopedic doc either today or tomorrow but can't do that without the car.

Ya don't realize just how important having something is until you don't have it anymore.

Bella- I hope you can somehow get a lawyer. Wishing you strength.

Maia- I'd probably wait til noon and then leave after registration.

Clay- Hi! I've tried emailing you but haven't heard back.

Cari- Bellydancing... How cool! Hope you enjoy it!

Redveg- Isn't nice to have mild temps and sun? Yay!

gun- I think she's a bit too young. I'd probably wait until she's 3.

Mary- Good morning!

User Tag List