Pope John Paul II and nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was not sure if I should post this here or breastfeeding support and advocacy, but decided to try here. Anyway, today I was at a local mother baby group, which has lots of other nursing mamas and heard the following comment. This other mom said that Pope John Paul II has stated that all babies should nurse at least into their third year for natural child spacing. Anyway, I found this interesting, since I am Catholic and was wondering if anyone here knew anymore about this subject? If this is a valid statement that was made by the Pope, I wonder why you don't hear more about it? Thanks in advance!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

#2 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 03:29 AM

I heard the same by way of a Catholic mom's group also. I researched this and found the Pope has made several statements about the importance of breastfeeding/extended breastfeeding. How cool is that?!?!

Why haven't we heard more? I don't know. Maybe the media is too busy pointing out everything bad about our church and it's leadership to report anything else.

#3 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 05:16 AM

Here is the Papal Statement on Breastfeeding Address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences by Pope John Paul II on May 12, 1995. In part it reads,

"...Responsible international agencies are calling on governments to ensure that women are enabled to breast-feed their children for four to six months from birth and to continue this practice, supplemented by other appropriate foods, up to the second year of life or beyond..."
#4 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doulamomvicki
Maybe the media is too busy pointing out everything bad about our church and it's leadership to report anything else.
Maybe?
Ya think?

I'm still waiting for the mainstream media to publish ANYTHING good about the Catholic Church...if I was holding my breath I'dve been dead a long time ago :

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#5 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 PM

nak...that is so cool! I love to read nice things about JP2. I am so glad that even if we dont get the publicity, at least groups like this, help us to know that the Church does good things too.
#6 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 01:10 AM

I love JPII!

My husband and I were blessed to get to go to his papal audience for newlyweds and I asked him to bless my womb when I was pregnant with dd and he did!

I always said if there was ever one clergyman I wouldn't be embarassed nursing dd in front of it would be him.

Yeah the media does largley ignore any and all good done by the church. Never mind that the clergy were even encouraging women to breastfeed back in the fifties when everyone else thought it was like some kind of backward practice. Sheesh! :
#7 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 12:33 PM

We talked about this very subject in my NFP class. I also agree that it is very cool that JPII saw the importance of BFing. This is one of many reasons I feel completely comfortable BFing in church, even when receiving communion.

However, I must say that I feel a bit jipped trying to do the "Good Catholic child spacing deal" when my fertility returns less than 3 months PP while tandem nursing... but that's another rant.

Yes, I completely agree that it would be nice to hear some good Catholic stuff in the news.
When I lived in St. Louis which happens to be a very Catholic city there was lots of good Catholic stuff in the local news. So not the case here in Houston

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#8 of 17 Old 01-30-2004, 03:20 AM

That's so cool. I remember going to see the Pope when I was a college student living in Switzerland. It would be neat if they used that in the ad campaign that is going on regarding nursing. As an FYI, the Qur'an also states that women should BF for two years.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#9 of 17 Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 AM

Just to add fuel to the fire, all 7 of the Founders of La Leche League are Catholic.
#10 of 17 Old 01-30-2004, 09:56 PM

So funny how we don't get to hear when we are supported, even by our teachers and leaders. i too love our current Pope and hope we find a wonderful successor when he passes on. We're gonna miss Him, i kinda grew up with him. Was Face to face with Him in Denver Colorado when i was 14. It was Awesome!
:
i also returned to being fertile very quickly after my daughter was born. i was nursing her full time also and am expecting a boy 3-05-04. Excited, but overwelmed. My milk production just started to decrease. i tried everything, come to find out, to our surprise, i was pregnant. Well, well, well. i love my children and will make it through. Many have.
i still plan on nursing full time again and we'll se what happens!
My 13mo daughter has been on the "Babies Only" organic soy formula since i lost my milk and she's doing great, also eating other foods of course.
My sister told me one of her children picked up nursing twice after she began nursing a new infant. Intersting to see if mine will try...?
#11 of 17 Old 01-30-2004, 10:48 PM

T I just wanted to say that even though my supply was very low I continued to nurse through the pregnancy. It was painful but I am so glad I did. DD was 7.5 months when I got pg and we did not supplement. I just wanted you to know that you can still offer her the breast if you wish I am really enjoying tandem nursing, it will be interesting to see if your DD picks it up again.
I also wanted to invite you to the Catholic Mamas thread over in Finding Your Tribe -

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#12 of 17 Old 01-30-2004, 11:07 PM

I have a frien that gets her fertility back at three months even if her kid never stops nursing after birth.

She and her husband now use NFP to space. I think she luckily never had her milk dry up though.

Me. I just had my first pp period this week. It started exactly two years to the DAY that I had my last period before I conceived dd. I checked my old chart so I am sure. So I got a nice neat 15 mos of LA. I'm hoping the next few months will bring another pregnancy. We'll see.

At any rate. God bless Sheila Kippley. I am so glad I read her book.
#13 of 17 Old 01-31-2004, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

WOW! I cannot believe how many responses I have gotten! Thanks for all of your great responses! I was glad to hear this info, since my dd is getting to the age (almost three) that is starting to raise eyebrows! I am just glad to have someone else in my corner, especially someone as admirable as Pope John Paul II! Most people are surprised ds is still nursing at 15 months, when they find out dd is too, well I am sure many of you know THAT look! Anyway, thanks for all the great info, especially the link!

:bfP.S. I agree with you about the nursing in church thing! In fact one Sunday, we were at mass and I purposely chose a pew right in front of several nuns. I felt if anyone would be understanding at mass it would be them, they just smiled warmly at our both our kids!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

#14 of 17 Old 01-31-2004, 01:58 AM

The Catholic church we go to is very good about nursing.
People even help you out while nursing.

I'm 1/2 Polish so I gotta love the Pope -

the media saying anything nice about the Catholic church ???
NEVER... still that old stigma attched.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#15 of 17 Old 01-31-2004, 06:26 PM

T

I got pregnant while exclusively nursing dd when she was just 14 months.
#16 of 17 Old 02-01-2004, 10:39 AM

I like this lil tidbit. Will pass on to my "so Catholic" parents who down breastfeeding so much as weird and freaked when I went to nurse then 2 month old DS at mass (in the kids romm yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I also told them that 3 Popes condemned circumcision and they swore I was lying. I may not go to Mass often as the ydo, but I learn and study alot too.

BTW, I feel the Media in this area (Philly tv) is very proCatholic in so many ways. Hard to explain but watching it you'd sware everyone in the area is Catholic-the yhave interupted v shows for positive church related stuff.
#17 of 17 Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 PM

Good morning,

i wanted to say that i offerd my little one the breast until there was nothing left and she was just getting frustrated. for a while though it did passify her when she needed to fall back asleep. i know that everything happens for a reason and our new little boy will get whatever i can give for as long as possible. i do feel sorry for my girl who had to be weaned early. She is well and i know i've been doing the best i can for her nutritionally. i wish it had been different.
only 5 weeks to go! AHHHHHH~ i know i can do it... fear of the unknown, you know?My 13 mo is still not sleeping in her crib all night, and we've only got a Full sized bed... it's gonna be cramped if i cannot get her to sleep there through the night...

Praying and preparing*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page