Pagan Mamas?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 04-23-2002, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,

I am a pagan mama to Eli who is 6 months. I'm just wondering if there are other pagan and/or wiccan mamas here. My name is Becky, I am a doula in training. I go to a Unitarian Universalist church that has a strong pagan presence. I love the Reclaiming tradition of wicca (Starhawk and others). I am just getting involved in worshipping/celebrating with others (through UU and elsewhere). I love the book CircleRound and am very interested in passing on my pagan beliefs to Eli (in combination with my SO's buddhist beliefs)

I hope there are some more pagan mamas out there in mothering land!!

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 67 Old 04-23-2002, 06:30 AM

Hey Becky,
I haven't bought it yet, but I have already leafed through Circle Round a couple times and have it on hold at the library. I have a yahoo group for pagan parents who are homeschooling classically, it has been a great experience to meet other parnts for me. My kids are 6 and 3 and we are just beginning to introduce them to some of the ancient traditions as I am discovering them myself. I think you will find many Pagans here.
#3 of 67 Old 04-23-2002, 11:02 AM

Hi isismama!

There are quite a few of us out here.

You have heard of the babyboomers- we are the Paganboomers!

I am a Pagan with two homeschooled children- boy 12 and girl 4 and married 13 yrs to hubby. We celebrate the fair-weather holidays up at Circle Sanctuary in Wisconsin (Selena Fox's place) and celebrate the winter holidays at home or with friends. DD and I attend a Hindu temple and enjoy that greatly.

For a long time ds wasn't admitting to any particualr religion, and that was fine, but since we have been going to Circle about a year ago, he sees how he naturally fits right in. The same thing basically happened to dh!

I don't remember when I first considered myself a Pagan, but occasionally I get itchy and proclaim that I am a temporarily-physically-manifested-and time-bound spirit. Sometimes the word "Pagan" seems too confining. Does that make sense?

I keep hearing about Circle Round and haven't yet got it. It sounds so much like a Waldorf book, I keep forgetting what it is!

isis
#4 of 67 Old 04-23-2002, 01:30 PM

#5 of 67 Old 04-23-2002, 06:23 PM

Hi Becky,

I am also a Pagan Mama! My little one was born on March 9th, 2002 so I am very new to this mama thing, but man do I love it. Nothing like it in world.
My husband and I are planning on raising Summer with Pagan traditions. It should be interesting when she gets older and the mil and fil find out. We haven't told them about our beleifs yet, they are VERY christian and won't like it at all. It is nice to know that there are other mamas out there who share the same beliefs, sometimes I feel alone in that respect. How do your families feel about your beliefs? Just wondering as we have really been stressed about dh's parents finding out. You should have seen our wedding, we had a handfasting. We told his mom and dad that we wanted to have a historically accurate ceremony. LOL. Yes, I know, we need to come out of the closet.
I think it is cool that you are on your way to becoming a doula! I want to be a midwife. I am planning on walking down that path when Summer is a little older. Good luck.
Bright Blessings to all of you.
#6 of 67 Old 04-24-2002, 11:01 AM

Kalinka wrote:

How do your families feel about your beliefs?

Kalinka,

With my in-laws, it usually doesn't come up. Dh's mom has been all over the map religiously but has been new age for a really long time, so talking about shamanism or chakras doesn't phase her. His dad has been a-religious until recently when he rejoined the Worldwide Church of God (have you seen the Plain Truth magazine? We had it coming to our house when I was growing up. It's the one that "exposes" major "Christian holidays" as pagan (sic.) and advises true Christians to abandon them. ) Still, we don't talk about religion much with him.

My mother is "don't ask don't tell" mode, although she has checked books out of the library for me (she works there) on Goddesses, which she had seen on display. No books on Paganism though.

My dad is the issue. I have been telling him since high school that I am not a Christian, but he refuses to hear, and when he does actually hear, he refuses to remember, so we have the same debates over and over again. I told him I was Pagan several Easters ago while coloring eggs with him. I just couldn't bear his benevolent lecture on JC again. That is not what the holiday is about for me. Suffice to say the ordeal was very uncomfortable and ended the egg fun. We haven't actually talked about it since, but he looks very grim whenever we are going "camping" or ask them to watch the kids when we go out. He assumes my son's beliefs are his to mold whenever I am not around. I had told him explicitly that he is free to tell my son about his beliefs, but not try and convert him.

It's a hard situation, because I otherwise have a good relationship with my dad and we agree on many things. It is easier to rock the boat with someone you don't value or who you think is really going to "get it" the first time. Like I said- he does this self-protecting memory block and I am weary of causing the same shock and horror over and bloody over again.

We don't include family in our holidays, but go up to Circle or spend it with other Pagans (makes sense.) We join my family on Easter and Christmas and I am comfortable. After all, just as the Plain Truth said, they are celebrating my holidays.

My in-laws and we have created an alternative to Christmas. When my dh was growing up they were in the WCG and did not celebrate xmas easter etc. While ds was little they did a tree and stockings, but it didn't last. Now we have "Gifts on the Chair Day" which we celebrate New Years Day, with peas and greens and ham and, you guessed it, gifts on the chair. This past holiday they designed an iron-on tablecloth with clip art of chairs and gifts!

I have written enough!

isis
#7 of 67 Old 04-24-2002, 05:10 PM

Hey Pagan folk! I guess "Pagan" is the closest thing to a label that I can claim. "Earth Centered, Wiccan, whatever. Basically, I just know that no belief system that I have ever encountered or examined can begin to contain the way my spirit soars when I am in the natural world. Growing up, I went to a Lutheran church, but as I grew older and spent more time in nature I began to recognize that this was where my soul really connected. I felt the presence of Great Spirit so profoundly, and came to see spirit in all creation. I am a part of all, and all is a part of me. Everything I needed to learn and grow spiritually was right there if I just opened my soul. And I mean REALLY opened my soul. Nature to me is not something that is just pretty and pleasant. This Earth, her creatures, her waters, her plants, all of it holds wisdom for us from our Creator, but we must pay attention. Mentors are wonderful, books are wonderful, ritual and celebration are wonderful, but it all boils down to simplicity for me. I need no complicated religion that must be explained to me, all I need is my open heart. Its all very plain, really. Give love, receive love, and be thankful. All of creation is interconnected. When you live your life in a manner which uplifts any part of it, the whole is blessed. As such, good parenting is inherently spiritual.

As for family who don't understand, well, gosh that is such a stressful thing to have to deal with. But how can you not follow beliefs that are true-down-to-bones for you? How could they expect you to do so? Let it be their problem, not yours. Let the kids know that some people will feel it necessary to "save their souls" but to just take it with a grain of salt. Or teach them to sing "We All Come From the Goddess" at the top of their lungs to drown out the annoying voices of disrespect. Hee hee.

Blessed be, all, may Goddess smile upon you!
#8 of 67 Old 04-24-2002, 09:04 PM

Mamabear, LOL. My husband can't wait for DD to sing "We all come from the Goddess" to his parents! The thought gave us a good laugh.

I think you are all right in that it's pretty much their problem and there really isn't too much we can do about it. I just hate that they will be hurt by dh's choice and feel that they need to save us. I really hate that, it is insulting and also just frustrating b/c we do care about their feelings. My husband has told his Mom that he isn't Christian but not Pagan. She seemed okay when he told her but, like your Dad Isis, she refused to hear and was shocked that we didnt' celebrate Easter. Right now things are fine but when the baby gets older, I don't know if they will be able to handle it, hopefully they will.

I really liked the gifts on a chair thing, cute idea.
#9 of 67 Old 04-25-2002, 01:05 PM

Location: Chester County, PA, but I'd rather run free amongst the sheep
It's great to see there are others of us!

I am a solitary eclectic witch (non-wicca) - more Green/kitchen witch than anything. My dp is agnostic (he says he believes in something, but doesn't know what it is yet!) and my ds is still learning about the various religious traditions. He goes to church with my parents (Episcopalian) on Sundays because he wants to, but he also has a small statue of Ganesha at home, and has stated more than once that he believes "in more than one god, because no everyone believes in the same one". He is so cool!

It's an issue, albeit a non-discussed one, with my parents. I think they know I am not Christian, although we do go to church with them on Xmas and Easter because it makes them happy. They've never tried to convert my dp, nor have they ever made a negative remark about my not going to church. But somehow, I think if I came out of the "broom closet" to them, it would make family relations a lot more strained.

My 90YO GM is a dynamic Christian with enormous faith in the Christian God. I respect her faith, and don't tell her about mine.

April
#10 of 67 Old 04-25-2002, 09:49 PM

been trying to put my hello in here for a few days but dd kept waking up at the oment i start typing! yes, pagan mama here too..like veggiewolf, a bit of a greenwitch. i'm currently a solitary, but would love a circle to join!!

bright blessings!

ps - this topic has come up often. if you do a search for pagan mamas, you'll find a couple of threads to fill you in on the rest of us...
#11 of 67 Old 04-26-2002, 09:19 PM

Yay! Here you all are! Merry meet, and all that jargon.

Love you ladies......
#12 of 67 Old 04-27-2002, 02:13 PM

Hi Isismama, just thought I'd introduce myself too, I'm not getting on the computer much these days though - I used to post more!

I'm fairly new to Paganism and dh is benignly interested which helps. It feels like at last I have come home and the sense of peace and nurturing I have longed for I have found in studying paganism - I'm reading everything I can get my hands on but my favourite is Circle Round and the CD that goes with it is fabulous - my 3 yr old loves singing along to it and I'm sure she'll let the cat out of the bag one day with the very R. Catholic relatives by talking about the Goddess sooner or later - at least we only see them about once a year. The real struggle will come when they expect her to have her First Communion so we have until then to come up with a good line............they'll never speak to us again if we just come out and say we're pagan and I will get the blame I'm sure. My parents are pretty laid back - buddha has candles lit infront of him right next to Mary, although my mum will be hurt and disappointed, she'll come round. my brother is agnostic (he studied comparative religion and decided it was ALL a waste of time) and he thinks I'm some kind of New Age nutter but reckons if we're happy that's cool! Dh's sister was shocked when I told her that dd won't be having First Communion, but then given all the furore surrounding the Catholic church esp. in Ireland right now she understood that we didn't want anything more to do with it, not that the Aunties or his father won't be horrified when they find out - questioning your religion or the church just isn't even within their comprehension which will make it hard - they already think we are VERY weird!

Right now I'd just really like to meet more Pagans and learn more from them. I have a friend in the village but she's off on a 6 month holiday and then there will be noone here I can talk too - I find it pretty isolating but having you all here helps a lot! Thanks and Blessed Be
Amulet ,
mum to Ineke 29/6/98 and Odhran 14/5/00 and soulmate to Fergus.
#13 of 67 Old 04-28-2002, 07:19 AM

I'm here but have been very lapsed lately. It's southern hemisphere samhain in 2 days so I am needing to get my finger out. Anyone else find it difficult to get the time with a very active toddler ? I also find not being brought up with any religion a huge disadvantage since I have no religious discipline at all. Every ceremonial wiccan I have met was brought up catholic, for example. My dream is to find a circle of baby friendly earth centred pagans...

At the moment, the most I manage to do is take Saffron out to see the moon every night we can see it. We plant the garden by the moon too & she is very helpful with that I'm going to also start taking her to the beach on the tides that are effected by the moon once I can find a tide chart so I get it right.

It would be awesome if other pagan mamas shared things they do with their children since I can't find any of those books over here.
#14 of 67 Old 04-28-2002, 01:46 PM

OceanMomma,
here is a list of activities that my friend just posted at a different board (you should check out the Blessed Bee for more ideas)

May 1 - Flowering / May Day

Plant indoor flower pot (colorful annuals)
Flower necklaces or hats
Orange spiral bread
Special bath by candlelight (flower candles)

June 20, 21, or 22nd - Midsummer / Summer Solstice

Sun Pinata filled with chocolate gold coins
Sunflower hats
Evening outdoor fire
Grilled food
Sun candles

Aug 1st - First Harvest

1st harvests wreath (dried fruits, etc)
Seed mosaics
Apple candleholders
Shish kabobs, bread

Sep 20, 21, or 22nd - Harvest / Fall Equinox

Corn necklaces
Dream pillows
Harvest candleholders
Door blessing
Traditional foods

Oct 1st - Halloween
Bean runes
Tarot cauldron
Traditional decorations, etc.

Dec 20, 21, 22, or 23rd - Yule / Winter Solstice

Dark / Light construction paper suns (turn over at solstice)
Wish bread (monkey bread)
Pinwheel cookies
Hang birdseed bells etc outside
Apples, nuts, traditional foods
Traditional decorations (gold, silver, greenery, etc)

Feb 2nd - Return of the Light / Stirring of the Seeds

Music (make & paint gourd rattles)
Make special candles (add stickers, leaves, etc)
Braided bread
Food w/fillings ('surprise' muffins, pizza pockets)
Clear away dead leaves / stalks outside
Clean indoors (get rid of old things)

March 20, 21, or 22nd - Spring Celebration / Spring Equinox

Clean out family hairbrushes, put hair out for birds
Place extra or special food for birds
Plant grass indoors for family pet
Place flowering bulb plants indoors (lots!)
Color eggs
Traditional stuff, etc.
#15 of 67 Old 04-28-2002, 11:11 PM

Word on the active toddler impediment!

I have one and four year old girls and I have a hard time getting time to work. I decided to take the 4 year to Unitarian Sunday School to provide a foundation and then let her and her sister choose from that base.

Maybe the New Zealand government has websites with tide charts on them. Anyone in the states can use the Old Farmers Almanac for Moon and tide times.
#16 of 67 Old 04-29-2002, 12:43 AM

I may start a new thread about the unitarian church since I'd never heard of it before these boards.

Good idea about the web site with tide times

I finally found my book called celebrating the southern seasons which was written by a New zealander & talks about the celtic festivals, what the maori were doing at similar times, what we can maybe do today so it's quite good. Not really kiddie orientated tho'

I went & got a pumpkin today. We're gonna make a lantern for tomorrow & have pumpkin & kumara soup.
#17 of 67 Old 04-29-2002, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for that list khrisday! So, what is everyohe doing for Beltane? I think we are going to buy lots of potted flowers for our house, I'm going to do some baking, maybe read some stories to Eli from Circle Round. I would so love to get the Circle Round cd!

I may try to make a flower wreath to hang on my door. Anyone have experience with those??
#18 of 67 Old 04-29-2002, 11:22 PM

nice to see so many others with pagan beleifs! i cant really say i am wiccan, but definitely pagan....i sorts of grab what i like spiritually and so have collected a rather eclectic mish mash of beleifs. circle round is the "bible" of our holiday traditions too! i will have to look for others, i need some more ideas.
yes, its hard to feel spiritual when kids keep u so busy! heck, its hard to wash the kitchen floor, let alone work up the energy to ground for a ritual!
my mum says i am still catholic no matter what i think and we dont see the inlaws enuff that the matter comes up thank goddess.
Earthymama
#19 of 67 Old 04-30-2002, 06:45 PM

Happy Beltane to you all!!!!!!!!
We had a busy day but it was lovely and sunny and this evening we went into the garden (totally overgrown) and made a buttercup necklace and a flower crown for dd (ds didn't want one!), we left a cookie and an egg cup of milk for the fairies on a little hummock of moss and a little teapot of flowers for them. Then the kids had a candlelit bath with dd wearing her flower crown and necklace - it was gorgeous (I took photos) and we had a talk about all the fresh new leaves and new baby animals and about growing bigger, I burned some lavender and geranium oil while we had story time and they went off to bed like a dream. (In contrast to last night when ds screamed for 40mins - not wanting me, milk, story, bed........? What can you do?)

I asked the neighbour to pop in for half an hour (dh is away on business) and I went for a short walk in the forest, sitting on the bench I could see the mountains of central Switzerland on the horizon and saw a little mouse busy with his house. I tried to ground and connect with the Goddess and then I gathered some hawthorn and oak boughs and at home made a wreath for the front door.
Tomorrow if it isn't raining, we'll go into the forest to make a fairy house and leave an offering.
I had all sorts of ideas about attempting a ritual tonight but the kids were up at 6am and I'm exhausted and going to fall into bed tonight as usual!
Love to you all
#20 of 67 Old 04-30-2002, 10:08 PM

hey, i didn't know there was a circle round cd.... tell me more please...
#21 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 02:32 AM

Blessings, sisters! And merry Beltane. Here in south Florida it's effectively summer by now; I'll be including a newly-ripened habenero pepper from my little plant in our culinary celebration. I'm a kitchen witch too--Veggiewolf, we sound a lot alike. Dh is pagan-friendly agnostic (every holiday's a fertility fest to him!!) And he loves when I cook for the holidays. We do go to UU "un-church" as well. As I'm Italian on my maternal side and am very drawn to that facet of my history, my practice is kind of a work-in-progress of blending Italian traditions (and food) with honoring this semi-tropical locale I'm not completely at home in (transplanted northerner!) I too love Circle Round and will be using more and more ideas as dd #2 (17 mos.) grows. With dd #1, who is 16, I was finding my path and we didn't develop too many traditions (plus she hates most Italian food--go figure).

Amulet, I would love to go into the forest and build a fairy house!! But, we do have the ocean, and that's my power spot, especially at full moons. BB!

Let's keep sharing our traditions and ideas!
#22 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 01:12 PM

Happy Beltane Everyone! I hope you are all having a great day. Dh and I haven't figured out what we're doing yet b/c I have my final post par. check-up with my midwife today. It kind of breaks up our day, darn it. Last night I baked goddess bread and we had a small little feast. The poor babe was really cranky though, so it didn't really feel too magical

On days like this I really wish that we didn't live in the city. I long for the woods in North Eastern Washington where I grew up, I really miss it.

Amulet, I love the fairy house idea, that is really cool.

Anyway, I hope that you all have a nice day.
#23 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 03:13 PM

Bright Blessings and Happy Beltane to all!

We homeschool, so today is a school holiday of sorts (ie we did arts and crafts instead of the regular stuff) I foulnd a Beltane song online that I taught the kids to sing

goodbye winter
goodbye winter
goodbye winter
we wish you'd leave us now

come back springtime
come back springtime
come back springtime
we wish you'd come today

We also read The Unicorn and the Lake by Marianna Mayer and made May baskets out of paper plates to hang on our friends doors. We will fill them with flowers and cookies and leave them as surprises.

I also found a little ritural that we may do later with the kids-
where you braid 3 blue ribbons together (it's supposed to be done on the Maypole but we may just do it separately and bury itin the garden) and recite this chant:
Tis the month of May
_______ (health, wealth, happiness etc. whatever you want) I wish for today.
Ribbons of blue, help my wish come true.
Braided within, the spell begins.
Bound to and fro, the magick grows.
When the fall untied, this wish is mine.

We will probably end the day with a candellit bath.
AAAHHHHHHhH!
#24 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 07:38 PM

Happy May Day!

My daughter (4) and I danced the Maypole three times today with the kindergarten classes at our local Waldorf school. I have been volunteering there for like 7 yrs teaching the children to dance the Maypole. This year I handed over the job of teaching choreographies for the gradeschool classes to the games teacher, so I was free to frolic with the little ones!

Dd and I ate lunch by a small waterfall- the weather was nice, and then found a book with Maypole in it at the library.

We are going up to Circle Sanctuary (Wisconsin) for the weekend, as a whole family celebration. My 12 yo son is so excited he just vacuumed our van!

Btw Kalinka, I think seeing a midwife is a very appropriate way of celebrating Beltane!
#25 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 08:03 PM

Happy Beltane everyone. I just finished preparing the soil in my new vegetable garden yesterday evening.....I'll have to see what dh is doing later tonight....
#26 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 10:32 PM

Isis, I didn't even think about that until we were on our way home. LOL I realized in the car that seeing the midwife today was actually pretty appropriate. :LOL

It sounds like you all are enjoying the day. Have a good night.
#27 of 67 Old 05-01-2002, 11:53 PM

PLEASE!! a circle round cd??? i need that - i would love to do the songs in the book but i dont read music and all my friends who do read music are christian and tho they are ok with it, i would feel awkward. IS there a cd of the music from the book?
Earthymama
#28 of 67 Old 05-02-2002, 12:22 AM

is the unitarian church for pagans? i've been researching wicca since it seems to be the only 'belief system' that agrees with my spiritual feelings and need for ritual. i've been trying to find a local group to meet and talk with, and after seeing the unitarian church mentioned here, my interest got piqued.

sorry for the dull handle i wasn't feeling creative that night
#29 of 67 Old 05-02-2002, 01:08 PM

Unitarian Universalist churches are sort of like the Ethical Society I think. I have never been to one, but I am told that there is no sermon or judgement of any certain belief system, it is open to people of all faiths (I hear a lot of Buddhists and Wiccan attend these types of churches). It sounds liek the structure fo a church without the theology of religion if that makes any sense.
#30 of 67 Old 05-02-2002, 01:10 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page