September Pagan Circle - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
redveg- I got the girls in the car this morning, got down past the blind curve and... our road is under construction too! Big earth movers and whatnot and dd1 was late for preschool since I had to figure out a detour. There was no notice about the closing either so I'm a bit annoyed. It's a very small rural road and while I'm thrilled it apparently rated a pre-winter face lift, some sort of heads up would have been nice.

Bank- everything went smoothly! But on the drive to school today the brakes went out again... I got the car home with dd2 and ds but have no idea how I'll get dd1 this afternoon. Black smoke, noise, and a gods aweful stink. I think a brake pad slipped maybe? One tire looks almost flat. But the worst noise was when I used the gas so I dunno. Sigh. So some of the loan may go straight to the rental car folks and a mechanic. On the up side, we'll have the money to pay a mechanic.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#302 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Clay - I hope things get better with the car situation so you can all travel safely.

DH just started in a new position at work and they want to move him again. So next week he will work 11am-7pm. That will be interesting, especially since I start doing military work at 6pm. What will we do? hmmm...probably take her with me and DH can pick her up before we start (I get there early to get photocopying done or just general organization). Since I can't wear her in my dress uniform (although I will say I have worn her in my combats) I guess I'll have a stroller to carry all my stuff - a little positive right?

My good friend managed to get in to see her surgeon today...we are hoping for a resolution for the pain she's been having since June (her scheduled appointment was October).

We have a Mabon rit in the making - just need to close it up but it all sounds good so far. For the main ritual, we will be using a branch (one that has fallen off a tree already) and we will be tying our thanks to it. Hopefully we can find somehwere nice to hang it up and let the sun and the moon shine on it.

I can't think of much else, I'm feeling quite tired today but it has been a few days of keeping busy...hmmm DD is sleeping so maybe I can get in a few minutes of mediation and ritual. Okay sounds like a plan, I will make sure I light a candle to bring brightness and clarity into your lives (if you wish of course).

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#303 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
DOK-filled my basket- hope to checkout after 4 today (when the kids are gone). I think I can finally get the Blessings book and earth tales. I have had those on my wish list for a long time.
Oh yay! I know you've been wanting those for awhile. Let me know when you've done it.

Clay- Oh no. Sending some good luck your way.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#304 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
gun

Hi all! We spent the afternoon at the zoo and it was great. With it being midweek and all the kids back at school, we had the place to ourselves. DD is so wiped out after walking all over the park.

The birthmother has an induction scheduled for Monday, so we won't be waiting any longer than then! Getting pretty uptight I tell you! I must be a bear to live with! My poor DH, thankfully he is a patient man. Trying to make the most of our 3 person family till then and cram in a bunch of fun and snuggles.

Peace- Heather
#305 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Gun- Monday will be here before you know it.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#306 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

yay gun!

singin- what a great ritual idea!

car- it's the transmission. I called dh and he came home and fiddled with stuff so the brakes worked, the fluid levels were all topped up, and we limped to preschool to get dd1. Tomorrow we'll drop dd1 off and go straight to the mechanic. If it's not resolved by 1pm-ish we'll get a rental from the dealer (where the mechanic is) and go get dd1 from preschool. It'll be a long afternoon but... the transmission is covered by warranty! HUZZZAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot express how much I love warranties this week. The computer, the car.... things we really do "need". But warranty or no, I'm ready for things to stop breaking!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#307 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
yay gun!

singin- what a great ritual idea!

car- it's the transmission. I called dh and he came home and fiddled with stuff so the brakes worked, the fluid levels were all topped up, and we limped to preschool to get dd1. Tomorrow we'll drop dd1 off and go straight to the mechanic. If it's not resolved by 1pm-ish we'll get a rental from the dealer (where the mechanic is) and go get dd1 from preschool. It'll be a long afternoon but... the transmission is covered by warranty! HUZZZAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot express how much I love warranties this week. The computer, the car.... things we really do "need". But warranty or no, I'm ready for things to stop breaking!

Woohoo that is great!! This week seems to be the week for warranties! My laptop just died on me but It is still under warranty so :::

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#308 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
Cari- glad the sickies are moving on- please don't send them overseas (tease).
I wish... they seem to have migrated to ME now I was up at 2am feeling just awful, and Quinn is still feverish & out of sorts. I so want this to go away :

Quote:
It'll be a long afternoon but... the transmission is covered by warranty! HUZZZAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot express how much I love warranties this week. The computer, the car.... things we really do "need". But warranty or no, I'm ready for things to stop breaking!
woot, yay for warranties!

I'm flattened by a nite of little sleep and feeling ill, so I've got nuttin' today. DH says he has a very light day so he'll see me by lunch. Thank goddess cause I'll need to lay down by then.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#309 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Cari-- y'all have had a year of ick, haven't you? Get better, mama!

Hey y'all-- I got a 94 on my Nursing Assessment exam!! : It was lots and lots of wound stuff. I hope I at least do that well on the wound portion of my Fundamentals exam on Friday. For that class, I just hope I pass with a reasonable score. I'm only running a 75 in there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
She called back!! She is passing it on to her partner/higher midwife and I should hear back in a couple of days about going into the office to take a tour. Clinics are on Thursdays and they are 12 hours long. They do 4-6 births a month and they also to VBACs, twins and breeches!!! I'd learn SOOOOOOO much. Its unpaid though, which I don't really care because the training and networking would be priceless.

I'm really nervous.
Woohoo! : yay for you! That'll look good on a school resume, or a job resume later. Plus fun for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
My morning meditation is out! They are doing construction on our road and the machines are shaking the house! It is so overcast here, if I didn't know any better I would swear it was going to snow!
What, you can't meditate amongst the chaos? :

Quote:
I got the car home with dd2 and ds but have no idea how I'll get dd1 this afternoon.
Not that I'm bypassing the importance of your car issues-- but it is SO weird to see you write "DS" in a post! How is the little wombat? How are the girls handling him so far?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#310 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Ds just lost his 6th tooth. I went to a meeting at his school and his father was watching him. It appears that he swallowed his tooth while eating dinner. I find that rather odd though. How could he not have bitten it while chewing?
I assured him that the tooth fairy will still come and he was sooo happy. He thought he would have to search his poop for his tooth before the tooth fairy would come.

Gun- Ooh, it's getting close!

Clay-

Cari- I hope by the time you read this, you'll be feeling much better!

Maia- Well done on your exam!!!

#311 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Cari-- y'all have had a year of ick, haven't you? Get better, mama!

Hey y'all-- I got a 94 on my Nursing Assessment exam!! : It was lots and lots of wound stuff. I hope I at least do that well on the wound portion of my Fundamentals exam on Friday. For that class, I just hope I pass with a reasonable score. I'm only running a 75 in there right now.
Yeah has been a rough one that's for sure. I'm feeling moderately better, although tired, and I'm thinking it was an atypical gall bladder attack possibly : Grats on your awesome score hun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Ds just lost his 6th tooth. I went to a meeting at his school and his father was watching him. It appears that he swallowed his tooth while eating dinner. I find that rather odd though. How could he not have bitten it while chewing?
I assured him that the tooth fairy will still come and he was sooo happy. He thought he would have to search his poop for his tooth before the tooth fairy would come.
lol grats to him.. had a giggle about that last sentence there

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#312 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM
gun

[QUOTE=DaughterOfKali;14393504]Ds just lost his 6th tooth. I went to a meeting at his school and his father was watching him. It appears that he swallowed his tooth while eating dinner. I find that rather odd though. How could he not have bitten it while chewing?

QUOTE]

That's when i bust out the FIMO clay!!

Peace- Heather
#313 of 595 Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 PM

forgive the multi-quote-madness, but it's easier this way......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
lol think that was just your dorm ... I think your beady creations are tres awesome chicky
aww, really? i mean, my dorm rocked, but i thought that was fairly typical?
thanks, you! i am getting much love from my beads lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
Um, let's see, could it be....oh, this is hard....oh, it's just on the tip of my thumb....tapping? up:nana:
10 pts for mary! squeeee!
(and glad to see clay got in on the points concept)

Quote:
And double yes to the bead timing!
awesome typo, lady!

Quote:
I personally say burn it. That is your past life now, I'd either cut it out and destroy it, or make a smaller 'vision board' to paster OVER it. Fill it with your hopes for your new life, right now it only causes you regret & sadness... totally not what you want in a TM.
Bella-- ditto this!!!! virgo new moon = awesome, imo, "alternate" TM time... i did that last year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
...I'm looking forward to chatting it up with you!
welcome to the group!!(and, gods, yes, we are chatty!)

Quote:
...a literal "wheel of the year" with myself at the center and a physical representation of mothering through the energies of the year.
clay, that is BEAUTIFUL! (and glad you're better, though, wowza on the car! this merc retro is doing a doozey on a few folks, for sure....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
I love, love, love this corner of West Virginia. It is so beautiful and so are the people.
making me want to come visit! (is that part of your plan? lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
...her general health makes it tricky. ....Didn't feel like explaining so I stated the obvious: it's a women holding the moon in her hands.
hugs for you and your mom-- hope all went well!! (and lol at your reply)

Quote:
... She told me it takes between 6-12 weeks to heal. Bah!
yoiks! so sorry! hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_momma2007 View Post
Hi ladies! I'm just starting to learn about paganism and I want to set up an altar.
<waves> come on over to camp! much fun.

Quote:
My notion? are you flirting with me? um...what are you talking about?
.....And YES, on the Halloween stuff! I made my first batch'o'the year of Harry Potter pumpkin juice
oh, gods, i've no idea.... the santa thing?
i think you;ve shared the recipe before, but can you share it again?

cari, ohmygreatgoodness, your poor family!!! yoiks. sending you all hugs and healthy vibes!

gun, yay almost babe time!!!

ok, there were 5 million other things, but i'm beat!

it's been quite the week so far here...: anyone else holding their breath for the new moon? although, a lot of our problems have been merc retro related, so that wont really help.... on the upside, i did some good fall cleaning and that feels good. :

hope the new moon brings everyone a freshness and some much needed forward moving energy!
:
#314 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Here's a brief run down of my day:

Sister met with her crazy husband, ended up going home with him VERY reluctantly.

My Mom finally gets ahold of her and she freaks my Mom out so she tells her we are coming to get her.

We get there, he tries to intimidate her into staying, Mom makes her leave.

On the way home I get kicked in the face by my sister so hard that my glasses fly off. She was in the back seat.

Her husband texts my Mom saying she's a crappy Mom and that us girls are all screwed up.

Mom just came in my room to tell me not to take my sister kicking me in the face personally, cause she is having a breakdown.....right. My sister pulls this fake catatonic crap everytime something happens in her life. I've seen it too many times to believe it.

Can the crap be done already? I REALLY just want to be happy, loved and have babies.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#315 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Barbara... my take on your sister, if she pulls drama and does stuff like kick you in the face? She is not exactly appreciating your help or support.. so don't give it for a while imo. Just disengage. She will go back to him, I'd put money on it after reading that. It sounds as if she thrives on the 'drama' and it gives her an excuse to go off.

Your mom needs to put a block on his number and avoid the he** out of him I'd say... it's not far from intimidation to violence.

#316 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM

Thursday, Thursday, I am so glad it's Thursday. Gillian turns 5 on Sunday. She was such a different baby, so quiet, not so snuggly but oh so sweet. I swear that child was born with honey in her or something. She adored my Dad from minute one, and wrapped my brothers around her finger as well. I enjoyed her baby time and was so sad to see it go. Then she became the girl she is now- my sensitive, insightful, harm none child (except when she gets mad at her sister). Gillian made me take a hard look at who I was and what I was to be.

DOK- how did I miss that he swallowed it? that must have been a shock.

Clay- gracious Lady, I am so glad you made it home safe and sound and that your car is under warranty.

Oh shoot, I am missing people but I can't remember who. I promise I am not ignoring people, I just can't remember everything and i always forget to multiquote.

My new me, connect time is my knitting. I spent almost 3 hours chatting with a great group of Ladies and knitting. Very nice.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#317 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
for warranties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
The birthmother has an induction scheduled for Monday, so we won't be waiting any longer than then! Getting pretty uptight I tell you! I must be a bear to live with! My poor DH, thankfully he is a patient man. Trying to make the most of our 3 person family till then and cram in a bunch of fun and snuggles.
Monday is right around the corner!

Quote:
I wish... they seem to have migrated to ME now I was up at 2am feeling just awful, and Quinn is still feverish & out of sorts. I so want this to go away :

I'm flattened by a nite of little sleep and feeling ill, so I've got nuttin' today. DH says he has a very light day so he'll see me by lunch. Thank goddess cause I'll need to lay down by then.
Hope you feel better.

Quote:

Congrats on the exam score

Quote:
This happened to me when I was a kid. I didn't even notice till my brother said something?

Bella

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#318 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Yay for kick butt exam scores! And yay for warranties! And little girls (and boys) having birthdays! And yay for teeth! And hopes, wishes, dreams, and seasonal beads!

boo hiss for crazy family drama, dead technology, old busted hotness cars (we have a toyota corolla parked in the drive and nothing but a prayer to get the car seats installed, but it was the only vehicle available and it should be just a few days), sickies of all sorts, and money stress.

Maia- it feels really odd to type "ds" too. He's doing well, my mastitis is basically gone (though obviously I'll keep taking my abx till the 'script runs out), and the girls are adapting. They both love on him a lot but toddler/preschooler love is a rough thing. So DH and I are being pretty vigilant about keeping sibling interactions "hands off" unless one of us is right there with them. So the girls wave, wiggle their fingers, make little toys dance/sing, etc but there's no "holding baby Tor" or "petting" him without parental supervision. I know I'll back off on this soon, but I keep remembering that CSI episode and, well, Tor is still only 3.5 weeks old and half the time he can't find his own thumb so self defense against a loving 2 or 4 year old just isn't an option.

flu- our town had it's first H1N1 death (at the university where DH works) and the schools have sent out their health guidelines for the season. Basically if a child has any symptoms of illness they have to stay out of school/day care for 7 days from the last day of symptoms. If a child has a family member with an illness the child needs to be kept out until 5 days after the end of symptoms in their family member. Around here the winter season is brutal (we're already dipping into the 40s at night) and lonely since there are very few indoor places to go with kiddos... I can see this more or less shutting down any child related social scene till spring. I mean, I'm all in favor of staying healthy! And I don't want to host a play group if half the kids are going to be exposing Tor to the ickies. But even in a "good" year the winter social scene is sooooooo minimal and now? If I start bibbling, please poke me. k?

(and does anyone else "see" the designation H1N1 but "read" the word heinie? I swear I want to giggle every time I see "novel h1n1" in an article because all I can think of is a bonobo wiggling it's bottom or a giant bum with those joke glasses or...well... some sort of novel heinie. Sigh. I know, I'm odd.)

#319 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Maia! WTG!

Dok-LOL on the missing tooth!

Clay-Good luck getting the car repaired before 1! Woohoo for warranties is right.

Flu- a college campus a little over an hour from here is posting way high numbers of sickies. Like +2500. But that's really only based on students missing classes, I believe. I think it'll spread to my area fairly soon. I'd better get the bomb shelter ready, huh?

crafting- I've done none of lately. Or even read a good spiritual book. I'd better start planning something. That Mabon is tues tells me I need to get going again.

gun-I'm so excited for you!!
#320 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Maia - fantastic on the exam!

Gun - woohoo! Hope all goes well and Monday is almost here

Clay - glad to hear about the warranties! Hope it all gets fixed up soon for you!

Today we have the speech therapist and infant developmentalist coming over...and since I was away all weekend, the cleaning didn't really get done, so I've been trying to play catch up.

I have a prenatal class this weekend, right before our ritual...so I have to make sure I get that prep done...I'm trying to think of some recipes for a feast...any ideas? Meals with apple probably lol. Anything else you like this time of year? I found a great desert for Samhain (I can't believe how close it is!) so I'll have to try it out but it's a twist on pumpkin pie (which I love!).

We are on our 18th day straight without rain...I'm feeling for the earth and I hope it gets the nourishment it is looking for soon.

My friend is scheduled for surgery and will have a 3 month recovery where she can't put any weight on her leg...that's going to be tough for her. It is scheduled for Jan so I'm hoping I can come up with some nice things to pass on to her so she has things to do and doesn't feel alone (although we are planning lots of visits).

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#321 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM

so, i'm sitting here wishing tracy's new moon article was up already... *sigh* (eta: ok, so i googled some other articles, and now i'm really excited... looks like this could be a ... refreshing... new moon!!)

maia, i cant believe i forgot to say congrats on the score! you're awesome.

bella, hugs, hon, and ditto cari... focus on YOU. put all your energy there... make your vibration what you want to attract to you, ignore all others. you can do it!

karen, i love what you wrote about g! <warm fuzzies> and hugs to you, sweet momma!

clay, that's insane about the isolation rules. maybe it'll be ... uh... fun..? to pretend to be all old-school and really hole up for the winter? maybe? it's how i feel in summers here. gak. i'm so ready to live somewhere else.

although, on that note, it's only been in the high 90s lately, which is very refreshing! it was sort of cool-ish out in the garden this morning.... i love trying to find the almost new moon in the morning sky... i didnt find her yesterday, but did the morning before... i thought i almost saw her today, but i might have been seeing things.....

sa~ please share the pie recipe!!! i adore pumpkin pie, and since my bday is in oct, i always had pp for bday cake.
other fall feast ideas... i did a fun meal the other day with roasted root veg and apples (served with pork, if you eat meat?)... i've also been doing great big bowls of couscous with fall-ish veg (carrots, zukes, shallots, potato, etc) and feta.... then, there's my "famous" fall pasta dish-- butternut squash, simple "sauce" of olive oil, garlic, white balsamic, splash of white wine, chili flakes... tossed with pasta and fresh parm. dang. now i'm hungry.

happy almost new moon!!!
#322 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM

We are making Moon Cakes, which was based on an inspiration from this thread. So, we are going to cut out moon shapes out of bread, and add peanut butter and seeds.

Maia- great score!

ok gotta get some things done.

#323 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM

How about a quickie?

Post, I mean. Quickie post.

Ds didn't swallow tooth. I found it this evening near the door when I stepped on it.
(My son bit me and he wasn't even near me!)

#324 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
How about a quickie?

Ds didn't swallow tooth. I found it this evening near the door when I stepped on it.
*phew* great news! are you going to tell him you found it?

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
#325 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Transmission is apparently totally shot. Car needs a completely new transmission. We're talking in the 3k+ range. And.... the warranty covers it! And it covers 5 days of car rental which is nice since the mechanic said maybe Tuesday for the pickup.

Teeth!

#326 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
He thought he would have to search his poop for his tooth before the tooth fairy would come.

silly boy. EW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
That's when i bust out the FIMO clay!!
What is FIMO clay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
making me want to come visit! (is that part of your plan? lol!)

oh, gods, i've no idea.... the santa thing?
i think you;ve shared the recipe before, but can you share it again?
so...WVa isn't all that far from me, depending on what part Now there's two of us you have to come visit! Tell you what, I'll go with you to Mary's house

Maybe it was the santa thing.

Recipe for Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice is deceptively easy. I just get Bigelow Pumpkin Spice herb tea, make iced tea out of it, with honey

What I do is, for a gallon, put like 16 tea bags (basically a whole box) in a quart jar with...hmm, 1/2 cup? of honey, and boiling water. Let steep for a bit, squeeze out the tea bags, put in gallon jar, fill with cold water, put in fridge. That's all! Voila! Pumpkin Juice!

Quote:
They both love on him a lot but toddler/preschooler love is a rough thing.
I know I'll back off on this soon, but I keep remembering that CSI episode and, well, Tor is still only 3.5 weeks old and half the time he can't find his

flu- our town had it's first H1N1 death (at the university where DH works) and the schools have sent out their health guidelines for the season.

(and does anyone else "see" the designation H1N1 but "read" the word heinie?)
I hear ya on the toddler love. It's no joke, really-- my friend's son killed a kitten that way, and it's not uncommon at all.
What is the CSI episode? I don't have cable...

H1N1-- egads, I'm tired of hearing about it-- mostly because how can you predict a flu, unless it's being propagated out in the communities by, what, gov't? conspiracy theorists? You can't predict a flu outbreak I think it's just a conspiracy by the pharm companies to sell vaccines

And what's worse, I have never gotten a flu shot in my life; neither has my son. And now I'll probably have to because of school, and it would probably be a good idea once I'm a nurse anyway, because of my being overexposed to ickies in my line of work. Or would it? Which is the lesser evil?
Should I have my son get one, just so he doesn't keep me out of school with sickness? Last year he got regular old garden-variety flu, and he was so, so sick, poor guy

We don't vax in general, but I'm really starting to rethink the idea-- not because of nursing school, but the short of it is I really don't have a problem with vaxes in older kids/adults with good immune systems. I think they're a great idea, in theory. It's the additives I object to. But now that DS has his own immunity, and he's older, I don't much have a problem with them.

Sigh...I dunno. But flu shots? Um, not. Chicken pox either. Just the big gun ones, like smallpox and measles and polio and Hep and stuff.

Heinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post
I'm trying to think of some recipes for a feast...any ideas? Meals with apple probably lol. Anything else you like this time of year? I found a great desert for Samhain (I can't believe how close it is!) so I'll have to try it out but it's a twist on pumpkin pie (which I love!).
Yikes on your friend's surgery. I'm currently picking up another kid in the mornings for school, cause his mom got a spiral fracture in one leg and it's going to take for-bloody-ever to heal. It's been a couple weeks and she still can't put weight on it

Recipes-- do you eat meat? I have an Autumn Chicken Stew that is marvelous. And I think...hmm, working from memory here...Squash soup of some sort, and of course for breakfast, Aweynsayl's pumpkin smoothie recipe Oh, and pumpkin bread-- yes, with chocolate chips-- and perhaps apple tartlets.

Do share your Samhain pumpkin-not-pie recipe?

Quote:
How about a quickie?

Quickie
Yay on finding the tooth! Swallowing them is very common, though, from what I hear.
I can't think how many my DS has lost-- about that many, I think (6). He has two loose ones now, but he absolutely refuses to wiggle them

Quote:
Transmission is apparently totally shot. Car needs a completely new transmission. We're talking in the 3k+ range. And.... the warranty covers it! And it covers 5 days of car rental which is nice since the mechanic said maybe Tuesday for the pickup.
EEK! 3K! Lucky, lucky you, on the warranty. Whew! And car rental-- that's a stroke of luck, too. Get a minivan to test out! Just for fun. Glad your mastitis is nearly gone, mama. Ouchie.

Gun-- how excited are you? When's the day, again?

Fundamentals exam tomorrow (where's the teeth chattering smiley?)

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#327 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
(and does anyone else "see" the designation H1N1 but "read" the word heinie? I swear I want to giggle every time I see "novel h1n1" in an article because all I can think of is a bonobo wiggling it's bottom or a giant bum with those joke glasses or...well... some sort of novel heinie. Sigh. I know, I'm odd.)

my DH has been calling it that since the first time he seen it. i called it that to the doc once and he busted up laughing. then i caught him saying it too. lol. so in my house we call it the Heinie flu.

DS and DSD's school had one confirmed case and the doc said it was more but they arent announcing them any more. she also said that a bf baby has a very low chance of getting it, she doesnt reccomend the vaccine, and she doesnt think anybody should be freaking out. she said it is just like the reg flu. i am still a little nervous though. my babe will be born in the height of the flu season.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#328 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojerleda View Post
*phew* great news! are you going to tell him you found it?
Yep, I told him. He didn't know what it was. I had to tell him.

#329 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post
We are on our 18th day straight without rain...I'm feeling for the earth and I hope it gets the nourishment it is looking for soon.

My friend is scheduled for surgery and will have a 3 month recovery where she can't put any weight on her leg...that's going to be tough for her. It is scheduled for Jan so I'm hoping I can come up with some nice things to pass on to her so she has things to do and doesn't feel alone (although we are planning lots of visits).
The earth is a rather hardy soul though, she'll hang in there even without it. You should see what the outback here does at a single little rainstorm! Things sprout & bloom out of nowhere, then set seed and disappear just as quickly it seems. Life span in a moment almost. Best of luck to your friend.. that would drive me batty!

Quote:

Teeth!
Glad it's covered hun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
my DH has been calling it that since the first time he seen it. i called it that to the doc once and he busted up laughing. then i caught him saying it too. lol. so in my house we call it the Heinie flu.

DS and DSD's school had one confirmed case and the doc said it was more but they arent announcing them any more. she also said that a bf baby has a very low chance of getting it, she doesnt reccomend the vaccine, and she doesnt think anybody should be freaking out. she said it is just like the reg flu. i am still a little nervous though. my babe will be born in the height of the flu season.
Lioness.. my 16yo calls it 'the sweeeeen' in the most exaggerated tone possible lol. Although I could totally see him loving hiney if he had see the h1n1 thing first

I don't do flu vax either... I had a friend come up with a freakish severe reaction years ago and I have refused them since (even in nursing Maia.. and I worked in county psych units .. I DID however get my hep vax) If you are a generally healthy, well nourished person with no immune system issues the flu is not that dangerous.. it's 10days (give or take) of misery, but it's not likely to kill ya. Hepatitis? a whole other story!

I'm off to the doc with 2 boys this arvo... Lucas has a follow up and I'm seeing if they can squeeze quinn in (or we'll hit the other local clinic that does walk ins as well) because this is night # 3 or so with high temps and misery... daim said he found him pulling at his ears when he woke up last night, so I'm guessing that's the culprit. Please think healthy thoughts.. dh & I are just about worn out trying to keep up with all these sickies

#330 of 595 Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Firstly, thank you all for your food sharing It all sounds so delicious!

These came in the mail a few days ago from a booklet called "Simply: Homemade fall '09" I hope they help you all get inspired and creative as we are in the harvest season!

Pumpkin Pie Crisp:

Topping
1 cup oats
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Crust
1 pie crust mix (or make your own, or buy premade)

Filling
1 can (14oz) pumpin puree
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 cups regular or 2% evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Combine topping ingredients with a fork.
3. Crust - make pie crust to fit a 9" pie plate. Place dough in pie plate and cut off excess dough.
4. Filling: whisk pumpkin puree, sugar, evaporated milk, eggs and vanilla in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pie plate.
5. Bake in oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and bake for 45 minutes.
6. Add reserved topping and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Remove and cool before serving.

Apple Squash Soup
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
3lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
4 cups chicken/vegetable broth
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup evaporated milk (regular, 2% or fat free)

Directions
1. Heat oil over medium heat in stock pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook until soft and fragrant.
2. Add squash, sweet potato and apples. Stir to combine. Add next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
3. Puree soup. Return to low heat for 5 minutes to warm up soup. Stir in evaporated milk and season to taste.

May these recipies bring many happy tummies! (and mommies too!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page