September Pagan Circle - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gnome house- knitting it. The bottom will be a piece of heavy cardboard covered in felt, then I will sew the knitted grass/house part on to the base. I am knitting in the round. I am so bad with patterns, so I looked at a house and figured i could make it and just started knitting. The grass is two shades of green. The house is brown. I think the roof will be green or off white. I am using what yarn I have on hand. The actual directions are on ravelry and the pattern is for crochet. I don't crochet- yet.

Clay- You are such a source of strength for me. Everytime I think I can't do this, I remember how your good humor helps you through things and I soldier on. Thanks for the laughs! :

Bella- Just be there for your sis, when she is ready, she will need you.

Meagy- Wecome!

The weather is cooling off and the leaves are changing. I am humming "to everything turn turn turn," but it has a very different meaning for me and I don't sing all the verses. I really have trouble with a time for war a time for peace. Maybe I am crazy but I don't think there has to be war to have peace.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#242 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Aeress- thanks sweetie! I had such a hard week... pp hormones, crazy schedule, mastitis, and no internet to get support. I was a mess... lots of crying and flapping of hands. I get so much strength from all of you amazing mamas. Being "cut off" for a week just showed me how much I need you all for support and smiles.

Ok, so the fever is making me a bit sappy, but it's true!

Knitted gnome house- genius! Though I'd probably end up knitting it in a few pieces (I can knit a very nice square ) and sewing it together. I can't wait for pictures!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#243 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Aeress, Clay, and Cari- Do you know that I look for posts by the both of you every single day? I really love reading about your lives.

Of course, I do enjoy reading our pagan threads here. I've just developed a closeness to a bunch of you.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#244 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM

not much time - working on getting a late dinner on the table...

for thrush, i go with the big guns: diflucan. one dose when you're done with your other drugs.

for a more natural remedy - garlic capsules (there's no way you can eat as much garlic as one would need for therapeutic doses); strong probiotics (or lots of doses of regular probiotics); coconut oil (you can rub this on your skin so babe can get it too)

i took a round of antibiotics when ds was 13 months or so (for a very painful sinus infection) and did a diflucan chaser. no yeast infection in me. no thrush in him.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#245 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM

DOK- awww, thanks sweetie! I feel the same

We had our first service of the new church year - it is a water ceremony. Today our minister spoke of the history of the ceremony. In the 70's the womens movement influenced the UU church to consider how it worked with, provided support for and encouraged women in its' congregation. A group of women came together and created this ritual. Everyone from the congregation is asked to collect water as the travel over the summer and bring it back on the first sunday. I love how water signifies the basic need we all have for ebb and flow, for soft waves and crashing waves, for renewal and refreshment, for the sacred life force we all have within in us. It also makes me sad- to realize that we have polluted all of our waters. Anyway- just sharing.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#246 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Karen- Today was the first day back at our UU church, too. We have a new interim minister so it felt a little odd. Ok, a lot odd.
I'm on the RE Committee and teaching team this year so I probably won't actually sit through a service very often.

#247 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
mastitis- well, my fever was still in the 101-102 range this morning and I alternate between shivering so hard I can't hold the baby and sweating like a rain cloud. My head splits open when I move and both breasts are now swollen/lumpy/hot/painful/red. You can actually feel the heat radiating off them from an inch or so away! DH is picking up the abx this afternoon... any ideas for preventing thrush? Last time this happened I put probiotic powder on my nipples but with such a little babe I'm not sure a cow milk based product is a good choice. Or am I over worrying?
My friend got gentian violet to help with thrush with her newborn. It's not cheap and she could only find it through an formulary apothecary...the guy blended it for her custom. A small bottle was $24 but it took care of it with very little bit. She just put some of it on the nipple before the baby nursed. Ok, so she and the baby looked oddly purple for a while...at least mama could hide her purpleness...the baby looked like she'd eaten nothing but blueberries for weeks. But it kicked it within a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
gnome house- knitting it. The bottom will be a piece of heavy cardboard covered in felt, then I will sew the knitted grass/house part on to the base. I am knitting in the round. I am so bad with patterns, so I looked at a house and figured i could make it and just started knitting.
Well of course you have my attention! I look forward to pix.
I suck at following patterns so far. I love knitting, just not the details of the patterns, but I am working on that. And I don't crochet. A few mamas and I are getting together next weekend. One of them crochets, I knit and the 3rd mama can't do either. So I get to teach 2 to knit and she gets to teach 2 to crochet.

No, I don't expect to love crocheting the way I do knitting, but I'd like to know enough to do the crochet-embellishing that some patterns need.

Full weekend, just got home from running around all over the place. I love, love, love this corner of West Virginia. It is so beautiful and so are the people.

Maryhippie.gif

#248 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM

Hello all,

Clay, hope you feel better.

Beautiful weather here today. We just hung around outside. So many of the trees are turning, it seems to be happening so fast. Tomorrow it's back to the busy schedule of running the kids to and from school, karate and maybe track.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#249 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
DOK- awww, thanks sweetie! I feel the same

We had our first service of the new church year - it is a water ceremony. Today our minister spoke of the history of the ceremony. In the 70's the womens movement influenced the UU church to consider how it worked with, provided support for and encouraged women in its' congregation. A group of women came together and created this ritual. Everyone from the congregation is asked to collect water as the travel over the summer and bring it back on the first sunday. I love how water signifies the basic need we all have for ebb and flow, for soft waves and crashing waves, for renewal and refreshment, for the sacred life force we all have within in us. It also makes me sad- to realize that we have polluted all of our waters. Anyway- just sharing.
boy have we ever... did you see this piece?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/us/13water.html?_r=1

and Newsweek had a piece about "obesigens" in the environment - low concentration compounds that are hormone disruptors, resulting in obesity in 6 month old babes. Bisphenol A would be one example.

#250 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
Full weekend, just got home from running around all over the place. I love, love, love this corner of West Virginia. It is so beautiful and so are the people.
my parents are in the area for the week with some friends - checking out some Frank Lloyd Wright houses...

of course, we only ever go to the icky corner, down by KY/OH/WV border. the economy tanked there a few years ago when they closed the underground coal mine. guess it was cheaper to strip the mountains a little further south.

#251 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
boy have we ever... did you see this piece?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/us/13water.html?_r=1

and Newsweek had a piece about "obesigens" in the environment - low concentration compounds that are hormone disruptors, resulting in obesity in 6 month old babes. Bisphenol A would be one example.
Wow, this is a eye opener!

#252 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Spedoickle- my fault really, the "official spelling" is shpadoinkle apparently. And it's a term (and song) from Cannibal The Musical.
LOL that explains it
Quote:
mastitis- well, my fever was still in the 101-102 range this morning and I alternate between shivering so hard I can't hold the baby and sweating like a rain cloud. My head splits open when I move and both breasts are now swollen/lumpy/hot/painful/red.
Yikes, I have SO been there done that, and it sucks Hope the antibiotics fix ya up quick. I have no idea about thrush, I usually use diflucan but not sure if you can take it when bf?
Your wheel sounds very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Aeress, Clay, and Cari- Do you know that I look for posts by the both of you every single day? I really love reading about your lives.

Of course, I do enjoy reading our pagan threads here. I've just developed a closeness to a bunch of you.
Aren't you too sweet It always amazes me how 'real' the relationships we form through the internet are! Then again, this is the woman who met & later married the love of her life through this thing, so it's pretty obvious I don't do the 'fake friends' thing

Quote:
Ok, so she and the baby looked oddly purple for a while...at least mama could hide her purpleness...the baby looked like she'd eaten nothing but blueberries for weeks. But it kicked it within a few days.
Hehehe that must have been hilarious

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#253 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
Wow, this is a eye opener!
it only gets worse, of course. so, there are what 80,000 chemicals in use around the world. only a paltry 7% (maybe less?) have been tested for effects of long term exposure to humans. indeed, for most of the chemicals, we have no #$%#$ idea of their individual effect - particularly in small doses. they use the ol' standard of lethal dose (how much crap does it take to kill 50% of the fish or invertebrates in the tank?)... occasionally, they will test on human cell lines, looking for cancerous growth (i think they use liver cells because that is the worst kind of cancer to get).

as little as we know about individual effects of chemicals, we have even less of an understanding of their collective effect (think: chemical soups) on environmental or human health. for most of the chemicals, we have no way of even detecting them in the environment. moreover, most water treatment facilities weren't even designed to filter them out.

we're trying to get a grant funded for some novel work in this area, so i'm keeping my eye open for this water stuff. it sure makes my life depressing.

#254 of 595 Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
LOL that explains it
Yikes, I have SO been there done that, and it sucks Hope the antibiotics fix ya up quick. I have no idea about thrush, I usually use diflucan but not sure if you can take it when bf?
Your wheel sounds very cool
yes - diflucan is safe for breastfeeding. not safe during pregnancy (though i don't recall if the safety is throughout pregnancy or just 1st trimester) - but definitely safe during breastfeeding - even for infants.

i had IV antibiotics for group B strep during labor (overzealous OB *grumble* *grumble*). 3 days postpartum, what do i get? yowie - the worst yeast infection in my nether regions that i've ever had. nice dose of diflucan cleared that up quickly - good thing too coz i was having a hard time imagining how the vaginal suppositories would have worked at that exact moment in time.

#255 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Was hoping to catch up on the thread on the week-end but got bad news on Friday night and spent the week-end between home and hospital: my mom needs an operation (that been postponed many times since Friday) and her general health makes it tricky. We've been told the odds were 50/50... Hoping it went up with the wait. We should find out this morning. (well, as soon as the anesthesiologist shows up - he's the only one she haven't seen yet since her transfer to the bigger hospital)

I wore my Goddess pendant last night and was asked what it was... Didn't feel like explaining so I stated the obvious: it's a women holding the moon in her hands.

My mom's sibblings are not in our area so I'm going to set up a CaringBridge page for her (if we can use it in French ).

I'm trying to stay grounded by staying in touch with Nature and the changes going on at this time of year up here. Noticed the leaves are starting to take colors while I drove yesterday. :

Valérie   
#256 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Valerie- sending you and your family lots of positive, good outcome vibes and saying a prayer. *hugs*

#257 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 AM

Valerie, hope all is well. Sending you and your family good thoughts and prayers.

#258 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Valérie- You and your mom are in my thoughts.

#259 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 AM

hugs and hopes to you and healing to your mother... I hope everything turns out well.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#260 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Dok- how's your hand?

Clay-mastitis is the worst! Hope your feeling better & this week goes by easier.

Mary- I've thought the same thing about "scheduling" all my areas of interest too. In the end, I add as much spirituality to each day as I can, and work on different projects until they are done. (sewing, knitting, etc) And as far as herbalism goes- I want my girls to learn too, so I'm formulating an idea that includes planting different herbs ( new place, no plants here yet) and making our own herbalism book as part of hs. Drawing the plants, adding info, recipes, crafts/projects, and adding to it in an ever expanding and growing way.
Also, I've found some free online guided meditations that make me feel good, and make it easier to recharge when I don't have a lot of time. ( which is like, always!)

Yule- I've got one gift taken care of, and no planning for the rest yet! 2 years ago I made fairy houses for my girls and furnished them with mini dollhouse furniture I found at the dollar store. http://www.thesilverpenny.com/FairyPagoda.html
They were actually really easy to make.
Maia, last year I got my girls DS's and they love them. Our local library has games to borrow too!

I managed to rid myself of the blues I had last week, but I woke up with a sore throat this morning and feel like I'm fighting a cold. Time for tea and Vit C. Fortunately I can stay home today. The girls are still excited for school too
#261 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
Dok- how's your hand?
Aww, thanks for asking! My wrist isn't broken. Looks like I sprained/tore a ligament. She told me it takes between 6-12 weeks to heal. Bah!
The brace makes my arm sooo sweaty. I wear it when I'm out or if I'm cleaning at home but if I'm sitting indoors, I take it off to air out.

It mostly hurts if I twist my wrist (like you do if you're opening a doorknob, etc.) So, I just have to be careful.

It's such a lovely day outside. I wish I had a hammock or something so I could lounge (doze) in the fresh air. I'm so sleepy. I woke up a LOT last night.

Ok, time to go pick up a few things at the grocery store. Getting prepared for my party tomorrow.

#262 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 PM

DOK - ouch. hope it feels better soon. maybe there'll be some cooler weather so it isn't extra uncomfortable. (have you tried homeopathic arnica?)

Valerie - hopes and prayers for you and your family

Mary - i usually set a schedule but then about 2 days into it, life happens and then i fall off the schedule. then it takes 3 weeks or so to get back into the schedule.

saphire - toss in some elderberry syrup (which reminds me that i need to make some more this year - MountainRoseHerbs sold out early, so I was delayed a month from making more)

Cari - heh. dh and I met online on IRC in the mid '90s. before it was fashionable to do so. the summer we met face to face was the summer i visited a lot of my IRC friends on a "jaunt" from Connecticut through Columbus OH, through Indianapolis, to a work conference in St Louis, then a detour via Omaha, then onto the southwest corner of WV where dh (before he was my dh, and just some online guy) lived at the time. then back to CT. just a little drive. my mom totally freaked when i told her all about it after the fact. "you could have been killed... or worse!"

i found out that the maker of my really favorite wheel of the year wall calendar will not be making them anymore - his family had a baby with serious complications. does anyone have a good wheel-oriented wall calendar on which one can write stuff (doc appt, and so on) ? what about date books? i use my computer, but i'm still old fashioned that i like carrying a datebook around but i also want something inspirational in it.

how ever did i manage to be so bloody organized in high school with a bazillion things going on... and i can't manage to stay organized now, when i have -what seems like- less going on?

and another question... do you sign your younger kids up for activities - swimming, soccer, etc.? if so, how much do you get them into? how do you decide what to sign them up for?

#263 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
Mary- I've thought the same thing about "scheduling" all my areas of interest too. In the end, I add as much spirituality to each day as I can, and work on different projects until they are done. (sewing, knitting, etc) And as far as herbalism goes- I want my girls to learn too, so I'm formulating an idea that includes planting different herbs ( new place, no plants here yet) and making our own herbalism book as part of hs. Drawing the plants, adding info, recipes, crafts/projects, and adding to it in an ever expanding and growing way.
We're starting a planting project tomorrow...it's part of Theo's homeschooling week. It was supposed to be an indoor herb garden, but I decided to branch out and include other things. We'll be doing parsley and sweet basil (only herbs I could find in seed form yesterday) and a couple of different kinds of flowers and some pumpkin seeds.

Today I'm just dealing with getting back into a good rhythm. Weekends (or any day that Papa Chris is home) are unlike our good rhythmic weekdays. But it's all good. Weekends are about fun and exploring.

Maryhippie.gif

#264 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Aww, thanks for asking! My wrist isn't broken. Looks like I sprained/tore a ligament.
Glad it is not broken. Sending you great healing vibes!

Quote:
Mary - i usually set a schedule but then about 2 days into it, life happens and then i fall off the schedule. then it takes 3 weeks or so to get back into the schedule.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to prevent. I am quick to jump on new things but I find it harder to follow through after the initial 'blush' is past. I am a sanguine personality through and through!

I find that if I let schedules/rhythms form themselves rather naturally, I'm more likely to keep up with it than if I force it. Anything that feels contrived I have no patience for.

Today I'm just *being*

Maryhippie.gif

#265 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
(have you tried homeopathic arnica?)
I'm out of it. Can't buy any right now.

Quote:
Glad it is not broken. Sending you great healing vibes!
Actually, the docs say that it's better if it's a clean break because that heals faster than sprains. So, they were telling me to hope it was broken.

#266 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Almost forgot!

What do you think of Eastwick?
Will you be watching this new series?

I have to say that I'm looking forward to it. After Charmed went away, I've been yearning for a magical show.

#267 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Hi ladies! I'm just starting to learn about paganism and I want to set up an altar. A lot of websites mention the cauldron, and I have a few questions about it. What's the purpose of the cauldron, and can it be served by something else. Do you all have cauldrons?
I'm asking because I'm just not feeling the cauldron love. It feels a little too cliche for me (though if it works for you please don't be offended, I'm new at this).
Thanks!

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#268 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Welcome GreenMomma!

I do have a tiny cauldron... but it lives on my kitchen window sill and usually holds random "fun stuff". (currently holding a GIR doll a moxa stick and 4 felt hearts ) I don't use it ritually anymore, though at one time I used it for burning loose incense.

I think in general a cauldron represents water/the feminine. But your altar should be whatever works for you... forget those pictures in the pagan 101 books! If something feels right, go for it. And if something feels pointless or wrong or boring or overly official or just "not meaningful" then leave it out. In the end, you're the one using the altar and you're the only one who can say what is or is not meaningful or symbolic to you.

For example, this is my current altar... pretty random, and nothing like the samples in the books, but everything there is meaningful to me!

Have you checked out the pagan altar thread here in spirituality? Or a site like Pimp My Altar?

#269 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Green Momma- I don't use a cauldron but I do have a mortar and pestal(sp). I am more of a kitchen witch, I believe some witches use the cauldron for spell work. I never felt connected to a cauldron so I never purchased one. *shrugs* I like to do what feels right to me.

#270 of 595 Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM

Hi all.

I'm getting sick....not happy. I'm weepy, got turned down for another job and I just quit. I'm so done with everything.

Off to go watch a movie.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page