Traditional Catholic Mamas - Fall 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 233 Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I was baptized and had confirmation on the same night, I chose St. Brigid of Ireland, though I kind of intended it to be a duel thing with her and St. Bridgit of Sweden (I couldn't decide between the two!!)
I was confirmed and received first communion on the same night and chose a saint's name as well. I chose St. Anne for two reasons, first she is the patron saint of mothers, and second the name Anne is the anglicized version of a loved one I lost who I wanted to honor with my choice. Even better, her saint's day is my birthday!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#62 of 233 Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
ashes: welcome! I think everyone struggles with thier faith from time to time. I know I have, and I expect there will be other times. s It's really hard to be pg and have a toddler to take care of. I was in the same boat not long ago. Now I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 7 month old. It's always a challenge!

charbeau: I don't see why it would be weird. Something makes me think the hospital I birthed in last time actually asked me my religious preference and practice- but it was a Catholic hospital anyway.

Cherry: I love the name (and the saints) Bridgid (Bridget). We were going to name our last baby that if it was a girl. Maybe next time....

mami: I never thought about it neing cultural. That's interesting

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#63 of 233 Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Charbeau, I don't think that's overkill. I'll be at a Catholic hospital, but I was planning on having dh bring holy water and putting something in the birth plan saying if things don't look good when the baby is born, someone needs to baptize the baby asap.
#64 of 233 Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Yikes, I've been sick for a week and a half and this thread got away from me. It's good to see so many faithful moms here!

cagnew: We have sponsored a Guatamalan girl through CFCA for about 6 years now. It has been a very positive experience for us.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#65 of 233 Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM

Hi, did everyone had a good sunday? I have been slowly finding out that more and more of my friends are pregnant. It's a baby boom all around me!

Nice to meet you all. I am amazed at the diversity of people at Mothering. There are people in CherryBomb's and myself's Due Date Club who use NFP because they like it and trust it, and they aren't Catholic even. I find that amazing.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#66 of 233 Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 PM

Ashes: All morality aside, artificial birth control is just horrible for a woman's body. I don't understand why so many women can't see that.... Anyway, I too have come across a lot of non-catholics using NFP, which I found fascinating. Many of them use a barrier method, like condoms, or withdrawl along side NFP to avoid pregnancy.

There is a lot of diversity on MDC though. I think it's cool to see the quiverful mamas on here, as well as modest mamas.

It's been a good Sunday. I'm really tired though. Dh and I stayed up late last night reading and drinking wine. I hate the inner battle after the kids go to sleep- do I want to go to sleep or do I want to stay up and enjoy quiet time.... We all took a late nap and now the baby is wide awake I wanted to be asleep by 10 b/c I get up at 440 to go to the gym on Mondays. Oh well.

Have a great night!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#67 of 233 Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Hi all...
Sunday was pretty good to us, though Monday... ugg... just the whole catching up on house work, another week of school and DH was grumpy because he didn't want to go to work.
At my homeschool support meeting last night, the subject came up of getting toddlers to behave in Mass... Honestly I was very surprised at how many people bring food and toys/books to mass, even for older kids(8+)!! I can't be the only person who doesn't bring distractions for the kids during mass?!?

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#68 of 233 Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM

Hey Mamas...

I just started a thread over in tribes (made sense to me to put it there...) looking for Catholic Mamas! It got moved here... and here you are! I knew there had to be some around here somewhere. I looked in spirituality a while back and didn't see anything that seemed...um...worth looking at, so I'm glad to find you all!

Dh and I have our 5th anniv coming up in Oct - we have a 2.5 yr old ds and a 7 wk old (today!) ds. The adjustment is keeping me on my toes!

We are really involved in youth ministry and just finished our annual fall training - 3 weekends in a row, whew!! The team we work with are 13 young people, ranging 15 to 22 yrs old.

I work part-time as a physical therapist - actually I go back in about 2 wks, but only for about 10-12 hours per week. I pray someday to be able to cut back even more but the budget doesn't allow that yet. Trying to get my little home business going to help with cash flow.

We had our baby baptized last weekend and it was so beautiful. What a gift we have in the Catholic faith! And what a task we have as parents! It's amazingly beautiful and terribly frightening at the same time - that it's my job to guide and protect these two little souls. I pray hard they come to know and love Jesus and serve him somehow.

Anyhow, happy to meet you all and i'll try to check in here as often as I can!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#69 of 233 Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 PM

I'm moving over from the other thread, too. I have two boys -- 5.5 and 3.5 and am ttc #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
At my homeschool support meeting last night, the subject came up of getting toddlers to behave in Mass... Honestly I was very surprised at how many people bring food and toys/books to mass, even for older kids(8+)!! I can't be the only person who doesn't bring distractions for the kids during mass?!?
We've never brought food to Mass (although I let the boys nurse during church until they were 18 months or so) but we do let them bring Biblical books to look at. My five year old does well and now that he's reading, I've been trying to show him how to follow along in the hymnal. My three year old is so hard, although over the past month or two, it isn't quite the headache it used to be. He just wouldn't stop talking. My husband sings in the choir Sept-May, so it was usually just me trying to handle them. They are both in Sunday School now (which meets 3 weeks/month Sept-Apr during Mass) so I end up by myself for Mass -- such a different experience! My parish has a side chapel that looks towards the side of the altar and is walled off with glass, so it is a big cry room of sorts. Everyone still tries to be quiet there, but I don't feel quite so bad if my kids are loud.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#70 of 233 Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 AM

hi ladies! I am what I would consider - slightly less traditional, but I love your discussions here. I just have to share something that I though was kind of cool. I am cradle catholic and a unique mix of traditional and liberal. However, I was struck by a very visceral catholic moment on sunday. My priest has been with us for 2 years now but somehow I guess he hadn't seen this particular chalice that our old priest had. It is ceramic, small, and very simple. I actually love it and find it very beautiful. Anyway, at one point I stepped out of mass to calm my 2 yo and saw this little chalice being used as a cup to hold pens and pencils on the table in the foyer. And I was struck like being kicked in the stomach! I was shocked both at the irreverence and by the strength of my reaction. So right after mass I ran back out, moved the pens into a plastic cup and took the chalice in to my priest and told him that it was a chalice that had been here for quite some time and wasn't much used. If you could have seen his face! He was horrified ! He immediately apologized to me and told me he didn't realize or he NEVER would have let that happen. He took the chalice and cleaned it of course and gave it it's place of honor with the others.

Anyway, I was just pleased with my initiative and with the properly aghast response. I'm so glad that my priest is appropriately reverent to such things. He is really doing a good job with our community. I'm also glad that I set such a good example for my kids of proper reverence and strength of spirit to speak up to my priest when I knew something wasn't right. By the way, he has a great blog: jesusindisney.blogspot.com
His tagline is: finding Christ in popular culture. It's pretty cool.
peace all and have a good week!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#71 of 233 Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 AM

Hi new people

Sunday was my birthday, we spent it at our parish's 150th anniversary celebration. It was really nice! The bishop of the diocese was there, they did a blessing in the church, then we went to a place we had reserved for a program and dinner. The confirmation class cooked and served the dinner, it was delicious! Pork loin, homemade mashed sweet potatoes and stuffing, green beans, and wheat rolls. We have a woman in the parish who makes wedding cakes so she made a big beautiful cake, too. We had a great time!
#72 of 233 Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Hey everyone, I'm glad to see everyone had a great Sunday. Mine was just typical, but I can't complain since everyone is healthy and happy. I just wanted to say I'm really happy to have you guys here. Sometimes it is hard for me to get to church as I should and I feel like I need a little extra support sometimes.....like u guys.. so thanks. I wish someone lived closer....anyway I hope all of u have a great day..

a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:273:"
a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:164:"Wife to H Antonio:, Mother to DD Kathleen 12,: DD Yoseleen 9,
DD Jasmeen 5, and DS Anthony 2,";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";...
#73 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM

We are looking at the education options available for our son. We will either send him to Catholic school, or we will homeschool. If we homeschool, would using some Waldorf resources be alright? I'm not at all familiar with their resources yet, but am interested in learning more since we have some Waldorf style toys and like them. I'm not trying to start a debate, I just want to know if they contain anything that might go against Catholic teaching in any way? I do not know anyone locally who has any materials that I could look at first.

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#74 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM

I don't know much about Waldorf, but I homeschool my oldest and I use Catholic Heritage Curricula, which we love.
#75 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCarmelMom View Post
We are looking at the education options available for our son. We will either send him to Catholic school, or we will homeschool. If we homeschool, would using some Waldorf resources be alright? I'm not at all familiar with their resources yet, but am interested in learning more since we have some Waldorf style toys and like them. I'm not trying to start a debate, I just want to know if they contain anything that might go against Catholic teaching in any way? I do not know anyone locally who has any materials that I could look at first.
I use modified bits of Waldorf as there are parts of Rudolph Steiner's Waldorf curriculum that are based on anthroposophy, a philosophy that I have some problems with. I would say that Steiner promoted an alternative form or Christianity, while on the surface it looks like they match up quite well because of festival and saints days, under the surface there are definite divides between what his beliefs were and what we as Catholics believe.

I would study anthroposophy a bit if I were you and decide if you mind that a lot of the Waldorf educational philosophy stems from it. We do a sort of hybrid Waldorf/Charlotte Mason approach, but at this point I would never send my child to an actual Waldorf school (and we participated in a school for 1.5 years). I never had any issues with the school or teachers but I do think the underlying anthroposophy basis of Waldorf affects the classroom a great deal, especially if the teacher is an ardent anthroposphist.

Most schools seem to cater to children of all religious backgrounds, though. And if you are using Waldorf at home you can pick and choose what you like. I like the emphasis on open-ended toys, lots of free, unstructured play outside, focus on rhythm including daily, monthly and yearly and a gentle introduction to academics for little ones. There is a lot you can do to make Waldorf compatible with Catholicism, I think you just need to understand Steiner's philosophy a bit to make the proper adjustments.

Annettemarie, a Catholic mama who does the Seasons of Joy homeschooling curriculum may be a good person to PM.

#76 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Good morning mamas. I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a cradle Catholic mama to an 8, 6 and 4 year old. My two oldest are in our Parish's school while my daughter is in preschool also attached to our Parish. Her preschool utilizes Cathechesis of the Good Shepard for religious education. I have found that it is a fabulous addition to our preschool and my daughter really feels more a part of Mass and pays much better attention.

I am not Traditional, but I do consider myself to be a fairly conservative Catholic. I have vivid recollection of Mass at the Newman Center as a child - holding hands and swaying while we sang Age of Acquarius. Our Mass is much more traditional than that. However, we do not belong to a Traditional Catholic Church and honestly, I know little of the differences.

I am actively involved in our Parish and School. A significant portion of our lives revolves around our Church/School community. I am on the School Board, the Preschool Advisory Board, run our Marketday program, Chair the Silent Auction, am a Childrens' Liturgy leader, EMoHC and Sacristan.

I am interested in learning about the differences between Traditional Catholicism with a capital T and the conservative Catholicism that I would title myself.
#77 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM

wolfmom: Welcome! Technically, according to the Church's regualtions on sacred vessels, ceramic is not allowed to be used. The reason for this is that it is easily broken. According to Church law, the chalice is suppose to be made out of gold or silver (with few exceptions in times of need) because they cannot break or rust, and the blood cannot seep into cracks or crevices.

However, since it was used in the past, making it a pencil holder is outrageous. Even if it is not to be used for the Mass, it should be respected as having held the blood of Christ. That makes me wonder... what is the proper way to dispose of old vessel... hmmm.

amyrobyn: My husband is the choir director, so I end up alone with my 2 little ones too. They are a handful!

z2a: I think as far as this forum is concerned, traditional is meant to mean orthodox- we adhere to ALL the teachings of the Church.

Beyond that, some people describe themselves as traditional because they prefer the Latin Mass or support a return to pre-Vatican II liturgy. It's interesting really. And some people who consider themselves trad. get all up in arms when another person claims to be trad. but has different opinions about things like wearing veils, alter girls, guitar music during mass, the sign of peace, etc....I think there are as many deifintions as there are people,

Outside of this thread, I consider myself trad. b/c I prefer the Latin Mass and have quite a few "issues" with the novus ordo Mass. Plus, I lead a trad. lifestyle where I stay at home and take care of the kids/house, I am submissive to my dh, my children will be homeschooled, we dress modestly, we don't watch tv (anymore), etc.

The kids are sleeping so I am goig to TRY to take a nap.

#78 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM

As for me, I have never been to a Latin Mass but I still feel like I fit in well with Trads (capitial T) because I try to be as orthodox as I can in following Church teaching and Trads seem to do so as well. I do believe the N.O. is a perfectly valid Mass but it can be abused, but I am at a great parish right now that is very reverent and the head pastor is very conservative.

#79 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm curious what issues people have with the NO Mass? I know that it's not in Latin, we don't generally cover our heads for Mass and our Church doesn't even have a Communion rail.

I don't have ready access to an EF Mass, so am interested.

I assume that when you say we adhere to ALL of the teachings, you mean abortion, birth control and the like?
#80 of 233 Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I assume that when you say we adhere to ALL of the teachings, you mean abortion, birth control and the like?
That's kind of what I figured it meant.

I do believe the NO Mass is valid, although the more I learn, the more I agree with certain people who believe it is illicit. The reasons are so many and so in-depth that it would be hard to get into on here. So many things tie into it and it's taken me a few years to reach this point. Without having the whole background, it starts to sound crazy. I will try to organize my thoughts as best I can and get back to you with some kind of an answer.

Not everyone has access to an EF Mass. The closest parish with a latin mass is an hour away. We are members of a "regular" parish and my husband is assistant music director. We actually live 5 minutes from the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament (Mother Angelica and her nuns live there), so we go there when we can. Sometimes they have Latin masses (and they are beautiful!).

#81 of 233 Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I'm so excited I found this thread! I'm always saying how hard it is to find other moms with similar views on parenting who are also Catholic so it's great seeing such a nice group here!

I have a 3-year-old son and a 17-month old daughter and today my husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary! I'm excited to get to know everyone here.
#82 of 233 Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hey mamas!

Popping in super fast. I can't believe how busy my life has gotten in the last few weeks - I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I'm making a 4k+ mile move in a little over 2 weeks. Eeep! My husband is already there, and I have to pack and mail the house with our toddler.

Welcome calleolle and everyone else new!

I'm going to try and catch up on the thread tomorrow or this weekend... praying for all your intentions.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#83 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

phew - caught up!

Charbeau - Definitely Definitely write that you're Catholic on your birth plan! I would probably put "I'm a Catholic, please call a priest at any complication

RomanCarmelMom - I mostly agree with Charbeau's assessment of Waldorf. I definitely have a stronger negative reaction to Steiner and anthroposophy. It's fundamentally opposed to our Catholic world view, but the toys are pretty awesome. When it comes time, I will probably purchase some from an unofficial Waldorf site as I don't want to support the organization in anyway.

cagnew - I think I'm right there with you on the NO Mass. I do think the NO Mass may be illicit based on what I've read, but I don't trust myself *AT ALL* to make that decision. I just try to bring my family to the traditional Sacraments as much as possible. I think... that it's not my place to make a judgment on something like this. I don't have the education or the authority and I could be easily lead in the wrong direction, so I try to keep my faith simple and stick to what I know is True.

#84 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM

cagnew - thanks for your feedback. The particular chalice is glazed in such a way that no seepage would be an issue, so no worries. And it seems that there is no clearly stated ban on said material for the chalice but the chalice must be artistic, strong enough to resist breaking, and not porous enough to seep. This is definately an artistic chalice and has deep meaning for our community (which is another stipulation). It is also very strong and has certainly survived the commonly used "clumsy servant test". It easily would (and has!) withstood many bumps and knocks. It's nice to know that such thought goes into these holy items, isn't it?

Actually, the way to dispose of a used item such as that would be to bury it. It is supposed to go back to the earth, as it was created from the earth by God. That is also the proper way to dispose of remnants of the eucharistic meal if you don't have the properly prepared sink to wash the chalice in. Besides, in the absence of a "real" chalice, anything may be used as long as it is blessed and then not used for anything else again.

enjoy your weekend ladies!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#85 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
z2a: I think as far as this forum is concerned, traditional is meant to mean orthodox- we adhere to ALL the teachings of the Church.
Yes, this The way this thread has been in the past, traditional just means faithful to the Magisterium. Individuals may or may not also be Traditional with a big T

We go to a NO parish, there aren't any parishes within driving distance that hold EF regularly. Actually, I've never even been to an EF Mass! There is one church 45 minutes away that has an EF Mass once a month, I hope to be able to check it out sometime.

My parish is more traditional leaning, we include Greek and Latin in our Mass, kneel after the Agnus Dei and we don't have guitars or anything! I used to cover but fell out of it for some reason (I was the only woman who did, which made me feel uncomfortable) though I always mean to start back up. I don't hold hands during the Our Father, either, although the rest of the parish does. I also have never and will never receive in the hand, though it's permissible so I have no opinion on other people doing it
#86 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Plus, I lead a trad. lifestyle where I stay at home and take care of the kids/house, I am submissive to my dh, my children will be homeschooled, we dress modestly, we don't watch tv (anymore), etc.
Me, too, other than the no TV part
#87 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Hello all,

My name is Jen, I am mama to Michael who is 9, Nate who is 7, Christian who is 4 and Jack who is 7 weeks. We are traditional Catholics. Our older 3 sons go to a Private Orthodox Catholic School. This is their first year there, as our parish school closed in June. Our sons loved our parish school, but due to decreased enrollment and the economy, they were forced to close the school. The Church is still open and trying to become viable again.

We practice NFP and eventually would like to become NFP teachers. I am very excited to find other Catholic mamas here on mothering.

cagnew - my 3rd son's name is Christian Augustine.

I have to get some new books to read - I'll have to look into the one you mentioned from Mother Teresa.

Take care all!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#88 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Hi, sister Catholic mamas! I would love to be a part of your group.

My name is Jennifer and I have three sons and two daughters... and another daughter (I think) who left for Heaven during our first trimester.

We have been a homeschooling family for the past ten years and now my eldest (14) is in college part-time. We are blessed to live right across the street from our church (Novus Ordo but very orthodox... I veil and so do others).

I look forward to getting to know you all and keeping you in my prayers. If you could say a little prayer for me, I'd be so grateful. I'll find out by the end of the week if we're expecting. It would be the first pregnancy since losing our unborn baby this past Christmas.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#89 of 233 Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmom View Post
cagnew - thanks for your feedback. The particular chalice is glazed in such a way that no seepage would be an issue, so no worries. And it seems that there is no clearly stated ban on said material for the chalice but the chalice must be artistic, strong enough to resist breaking, and not porous enough to seep. This is definately an artistic chalice and has deep meaning for our community (which is another stipulation). It is also very strong and has certainly survived the commonly used "clumsy servant test". It easily would (and has!) withstood many bumps and knocks. It's nice to know that such thought goes into these holy items, isn't it?

Actually, the way to dispose of a used item such as that would be to bury it. It is supposed to go back to the earth, as it was created from the earth by God. That is also the proper way to dispose of remnants of the eucharistic meal if you don't have the properly prepared sink to wash the chalice in. Besides, in the absence of a "real" chalice, anything may be used as long as it is blessed and then not used for anything else again.

enjoy your weekend ladies!
I don't quite understand what I bolded in your post. What is a properly prepared sink? When I wash the chalices, communion bowls and paten, they have already been purified, so at that point, it's just washing dishes. Certainly, they are incredibly important dishes as they contain our Lord during Mass. However, as Sacristan in my Parish, one of my jobs is to wash up between Masses. We have a sacrarium, but it isn't used for washing the purified vessels. The precious blood should all be consumed at the alter. None should be taken to the sacristy and poured down any sink, even the sacrarium. At least that is my understanding.
#90 of 233 Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Jen and Jennifer! Glad to see you here.

Hope everyone has a Glorious Sunday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page