Traditional Catholic Mamas - Fall 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 233 Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I finally got a chance to log in and wanted to sub to the Catholic mamas thread, and was happy to see this one going (as well as or instead of?) I have a lot of catching up to do!

We have just moved half-way across the country and I've been having trouble attending Mass. First, I had a baby and a good excuse, and then after his Baptism, we were getting ready for the move and DD was acting so horribly I couldn't bring myself to bring her. Seriously. Even for our very family-friendly parish, it was unacceptable.

Now we are in a new town and I must admit, I haven't rushed to either of the parishes in town or the campus center for two weeks now. I know I need to go and planned to just go to Mass at the center last night at 9:30 after the kids were asleep because at least there I'd know what to expect. I didn't make it because DD ended up sick and needed me.

I know I just need to get to Mass and if it's not my most inspiring experience ever, so what? I just feel terrible -- I didn't even make it to Confession before DS's Baptism. Just limping along spiritually and need a kick in the pants, I guess!

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#122 of 233 Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

It is interesting to hear what other people heard in their homilies. We have the same Priest every 2nd Sunday of the month and he just about always brings the homily around to talk about protecting our children from the crap of the modern world. He's an old guy, but he gets really animated when talking about throwing out computers and TV's to avoid temptation or avoid corrupting children. He's totally right, but it always gives me a laugh.

I actually brought my mom to Mass this Sunday. I was very happy. She fell away from the Church around VII and has been maybe coming around this last year. Please pray for her (re)conversion if you will.

And if you could pray to St. Jude for my sanity (haha Catholic humor), we fly to Alaska on the 24th for the big move. Almost everything has been mailed so it is just a matter of wrapping up the millions of details...

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#123 of 233 Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
I actually brought my mom to Mass this Sunday. I was very happy. She fell away from the Church around VII and has been maybe coming around this last year. Please pray for her (re)conversion if you will.

And if you could pray to St. Jude for my sanity (haha Catholic humor), we fly to Alaska on the 24th for the big move. Almost everything has been mailed so it is just a matter of wrapping up the millions of details...
Revert here! It takes a lot of prayer, but it is always so wonderful to finally come back home!

As for the move- it's always those million-and-a-half details, isn't it?

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#124 of 233 Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually ended up missing Mass :/ They have Mass out at the Feast (a local church comes in and consecrates and whatever they need to do it) and it's really great, but I was THE ONLY person in my camp up and ready so I got stuck making breakfast for 8 people. I'm still upset about it.
#125 of 233 Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
sarahsmiles: It's okay if your lids act up and you have to take them out. All that matters is you go. If you have to take the kids out, offer up the sacrifice and do your best to keep your mind in "Mass" mode. There are many times I end up in the cry room and don't hear a word of Mass- but that is okay. Remember this- we don't go to Mass for ourselves. We don't go to feel good or be inspired (although that can happen, and when it does, that's awesome!). We go for God. Our presence there is what matters. That doesn't mean it's okay to just stay in la-la land the whole time, but taking care of your children isn't exactly la-la land. God gave the kids to you and knows that you have to take care for them.

I guess what I am trying to say is, GO! It's a mortal sin to miss Mass. Aside from that, you need all the grace you can get as a mom and wife. Get to confession, get to Mass, and receive our Lord so you can be filled with grace and continue your walk.

cherry: thanks for sharing! I talked to some people at early intervention today and will probably end up using the program. We are going to a special Autism night tonight at the science center and I am looking forward to it. Oh- and I am a rightwing extremist too. I just joined a great website for mommy patriots and it's been awesome. I don't think I am allowed to post the site... am I? If you want to know, pm me

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#126 of 233 Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
It is interesting to hear what other people heard in their homilies. We have the same Priest every 2nd Sunday of the month and he just about always brings the homily around to talk about protecting our children from the crap of the modern world. He's an old guy, but he gets really animated when talking about throwing out computers and TV's to avoid temptation or avoid corrupting children. He's totally right, but it always gives me a laugh.

Where are you going in AK? I am from there... depending on where you go I might be able to point you to a good parish.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#127 of 233 Old 10-18-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
Where are you going in AK? I am from there... depending on where you go I might be able to point you to a good parish.
We're are right in Anchorage. We'll be attending SSPX, but it is only once a month (4th Sundays).We'd drive anywhere for the most conservative parish if you have any ideas..

#128 of 233 Old 10-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
We're are right in Anchorage. We'll be attending SSPX, but it is only once a month (4th Sundays).We'd drive anywhere for the most conservative parish if you have any ideas..
I know my BIL and his wife go to the Cathedral, Holy Family, its generally pretty good.
I grew up in Big Lake.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#129 of 233 Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
JMJ

Hey Catholic mammas. I still don't have a computer... going on 2 months now, so I don't have time to read the thread while I'm at the library and my dh is taking my nursingling on a walk, but I'd like to get your input on this. Due to speculations about flu season being bad this year, our bishop has directed everyone to take certain precautions to minimize contact with each other. Some of them, I have no problem with (no holding hands for the Our Father), some of them are not a huge deal (don't touch each other during the sign of peace), and some I'm having a more difficult time with like don't receive Communion on the tongue. I have a 6.5 month old baby, and I always carry her up to Communion. I guess I could wear her, but she's big enough that she doesn't like to be worn when I'm sitting, so I would have to sling her up just to go to Communion. I'm OK with being obedient to the bishop, but if she squirmed, I just can't choose between dropping her and dropping Jesus. I also would really hate to see her try to grab Him out of my hand. Just looking for some input on my particular situation. I really don't want this to turn into a debate over whether or not people should be receiving Jesus in their hands in the first place, just a brainstorm of solutions for my situation. Thanks a bunch and God bless.
#130 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Oh my goodness, if I was told I couldn't receive on the tongue I would seriously go elsewhere. I have no problem with the sign of peace, but the Body of Christ??? so sorry you have to deal with that.

I guess the only thing I can think of is to hold her tight while you receive the Host.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#131 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 AM

I am actually confused about what to do during this cold and flu season with regards to communion as well. I received in the hand when I first converted (it was the norm at my parish) and when I moved the norm at my new parish was to receive on the tongue so I started doing it that way and actually preferred it. But I am now entering my third trimester and I am just not sure I want someone else's hands touching anything going into my mouth, much less putting something in there directly. Perhaps the H1N1 has been a bit overblown, we'll have to wait and see, but I do think minimizing skin to skin casual contact in public (like handshaking) is important this winter. I am not going to go without receiving communion for the remainder of my pregnancy yet I also do think this is a legitimate concern for a lot of people and I guess I can only hope that my priests are really scrupulous about their hygiene.

Yes, I am that crazy lady wiping down my grocery cart with antibacterial wipes and squirting Purell on my kids all day long! I am also taking big doses of Vit C and D to boost my immune system, so my worries extend far beyond communion. I just feel the need to be extra careful but I am going to have to make sure I don't go overboard. I just feel like if I can take steps to prevent catching anything then I should, even if I seem like an OCD freak.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#132 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Hi, I'm not a conservative, but I sometime read along so I can keep y'all in my prayers. I thought it might be reassuring to JMJ to know that even before Vatican II, host were sometimes dropped. (I have quite a story to tell of the very tall altar boy who fainted from the heat in the North Carolina summer while serving at the rail. The paten went flying!)

I've received holding a squirmy child many times. I just receive in the opposite hand from the side where I'm carrying the child, quickly lean over and bring my hand to my mouth. The early exposure to the beauty of Communion can only be a blessing to your baby.

If the host drops, the priest and those serving know just what to do! Here's a bit of a discussion about it: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=78274
#133 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM

This is my personal belief- our Lord should be received on the tongue. You cannot be forced to receive on the hand (that is not opinion). Pre-Vatican II people received on the tongue. It was unheard of that anyone would dare touch the host with their hands, with the exception of the priest who had purified his hands prior to consecration.

There is a group that is blatanly anti-Catholic (freemasons) and one of the things they pushed before and during vatican II was receiving communion in the hand. They believed that if they could get Catholics to start receiving the Host in their hands, it would the perfect way to begin the destruction of the faith (by diminishing reverence for the eucharist).

And look what has happened. Of course, the Church will never be destroyed, but She can be damaged quite a bit. But I digress....

I wouldn't worry about getting the flu by receiving on the tongue. Besides, the person handing out communion still touches the host, which means their germs are still on it. I think you are much more likely to get the flu from some other place than from receiving Jesus during Mass.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#134 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Hello All. I am actively re-establishing myself in the Church. I need to go to confession...but I feel like an idiot because I don't know what to say or do. Would one of you kind Mamas give the a simple run down? I know I am going to be very nervous...and I will have my 3 y/o with me..is that OK? TIA.

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#135 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothnurse3 View Post
Hello All. I am actively re-establishing myself in the Church. I need to go to confession...but I feel like an idiot because I don't know what to say or do. Would one of you kind Mamas give the a simple run down? I know I am going to be very nervous...and I will have my 3 y/o with me..is that OK? TIA.
I got Michael Dubriel's Pocket Guide To Confession and I always take it with me when I go. I also tell the priest at the beginning if I am nervous or that I may need guidance/prompting since I am still very new at confessing!

#136 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothnurse3 View Post
Go to Reason For Our Hope Foundation and you can download Confession as an MP3. Fr. Richards gives a lovely talk on the importance of of Confession, why we go to Confession, and how to make a good Confession. The MP3 is only $2.

"Based upon his proven and powerful parish mission presentation, Fr. Larry Richards' Confession has become the #1 talk in North America dealing with one of the Catholic faith's most misunderstood sacraments. Confession is humorous (even hilarious), riveting, honest, human and often touchingly gentle. It confronts without being confrontational. It persuades without being manipulative. Most importantly, it provides listeners with humility, sincere contrition and hope for a closer, healing relationship with Jesus Christ. Ideal for practicing Catholics and those who may have fallen away. Confession brings souls to Christ in one of the most glorious, rejuvenating and intimate ways imaginable. Time 1:02 "

#137 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Well, unlike last Sunday I didn't break down crying during Mass out of frustration with my children's behavior! LOL My dd (age 20 mos.)did fall off the pew during the second reading yesterday and started screaming but I took her to the back of the church and she behaved in the sling. Then at the end of Mass I went to join my DH and DS (age 4) and the people in the pew behind them came up to me and went on and on about how well behaved my son was. I was so proud...and what a far cry from the week before (my DH was not with me the week before.)

JMJ: There isn't supposed to be any hand holding during the Our Father anyway. I know a lot of parishes do it but they shouldn't. As for receiving on the tongue, even though receiving in the hand is acceptable it is preferred to receive on the tongue. Even if your Bishop or Pastor is encouraging people to receive in the hand, they cannot deny it to you on the tongue if that is how you wish to receive. I always receive on the tongue whether I have my baby in the sling or not.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#138 of 233 Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ofwait - Thanks, we'll check it out!

JMJ - I would ABSOLUTELY keep receiving on the tongue. Of all things that happen to moms with kids, it is definitely one of your lower risks for catching or spreading illness. The pews themselves are far more worisome. Sometimes I think these recommendations to receive in the hand during illness are just a further plot to erode our confidence in the Real Presence.

gothnurse - Congrats on taking the first steps. That first confession can be really intimidating. I don't know of other great resources, but Catholic Answers Forum and Fisheaters probably both have good threads on how to make a good confession.

#139 of 233 Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM

I've never received in the hand and never would, personally. I would stand there with my mouth open till they got the point! Honestly I'd rather not receive Communion at all than take it in the hand. And yeah, it seems like receiving on the hand would be more likely to transmit germs, anyway.

Quote:
There isn't supposed to be any hand holding during the Our Father anyway. I know a lot of parishes do it but they shouldn't.
Yes! A lot of people don't realize this. My parish holds hands but I don't. It's difficult to explain to my 8 year old.

Re: confession, if you're nervous, tell the priest. Tell him it's been awhile and you're unsure how to start. He'll guide you through
#140 of 233 Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just found this thread again. Will be back to catch up with you all later right now we are out the door for a potluck and rosary group. Cannot wait to catch up.

Heidi
#141 of 233 Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 AM

jest - those little kind comments are the fuel that keep ya trying sometimes =) I hope when my littles have settled down I remember to pass those compliments on to other mothers.

Has anyone used Little Saints Preschool materials? Is it set up similar to FIAR? I hear wonderful things and am thinking about trying it out with my youngest who begs for school constantly!!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#142 of 233 Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

Yes! A lot of people don't realize this. My parish holds hands but I don't. It's difficult to explain to my 8 year old.
I don't hold hands either. Obviously, you all can tell from my previous post that I am germophobic right now but more than that, it isn't necessary. I don't think it is a terrible thing for those who want to to hold hands but I usually just hold my hands in front of me in a prayer position.

#143 of 233 Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM

I'm not a hand holder either. I don't even like doing the sign of peace. I feel like it take away from the fact that Christ is on the alter.

In a more positive light- have you all heard about the new Anglican Rite the Pope has announced? The Church is going to make it easier for traditional Anglican bishops and priests to come into communion with the Church. I posted this in the religious studies sections too, but here is a link to the story: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/sto...ns/0904673.htm

#144 of 233 Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
I'm not a hand holder either. I don't even like doing the sign of peace. I feel like it take away from the fact that Christ is on the alter.

In a more positive light- have you all heard about the new Anglican Rite the Pope has announced? The Church is going to make it easier for traditional Anglican bishops and priests to come into communion with the Church. I posted this in the religious studies sections too, but here is a link to the story: http://www.catholicnews.com/data/sto...ns/0904673.htm
I am guessing my beloved Anglican-Use Mass will be widely utilized!

#145 of 233 Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, cagnew, thanks for the article. That could actually be a big deal for my family as my husband is Episcopalian by name, but really believes same as I do on, I think, every issue. He is so sad to see all the nonsense going on in that church right now. He has been on the fence about RCIA (and honestly, I am too) so after we move, I'll bring this up to him.

Just one more day in NJ....

#146 of 233 Old 10-23-2009, 06:09 PM

for the mamas here who have gone through a divorce and annulment...

How did you deal with the loneliness? I love my xDH. I loved being married to him. I enjoyed having someone to spend my time with, to talk to, to cuddle with at night. I enjoyed having someone to have silly arguments with. Yes, some of what he did hurt me, but I love him enough that I looked past all that and wanted to work everything out. He... didn't. And filed for the divorce.
Now I am left to file the annulment (which he agreed to, and even encouraged me to obtain).

But... I am so lonely. I don't have many friends, and the ones I do have are all busy with their own lives. A gentleman has come into my life who is such a wonderful friend. Neither of us is pursuing anything other than friendship with the other, as he knows that I am not in a position to consider a romantic relationship, as annulments are not guaranteed.

I still have faith... intellectually. And I sometimes feel my faith in my heart. But what hurts right now is just being... alone. I have DD, I am living with my Mama and Daddy, my little sister is near by... but I miss what I had with xDH.

Please just pray for me. The doctor recently put me back on antidepressants, so I am hoping that those help with some of what I am feeling.

Thank you for listening, y'all.

#147 of 233 Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM

praying for you P&L

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#148 of 233 Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpumkin View Post
praying for you P&L
thank you

#149 of 233 Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 AM

P&L I'm sorry you're hurting, I'll keep you in my prayers.
#150 of 233 Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am sorry P&L.

Heidi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page