sending prayers your way wolfmom

Heidi
#212 of 233 Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
PatienceAndLove - that actually is exactly what I was looking for! Now to see if I can find them on amazon {I think leaflet missal sells on there}. I may look at Michael's too - they are only 3 blocks away and I have some discount coupons for there.

It's very interesting about the Christmas decorations - I grew up setting up & decorating everything normally the day after Thanksgiving, so waiting until Christmas Eve is a whole new concept for me. I like the nativity idea - I'm still on the hunt for a child-safe nativity to use this year as DD has broken a lot of my religious items.

I'm curious - what if anything, do you normally do for St. Nicholas Day? I read about doing small gifts & candy in shoes/stockings, but I wonder if DD would understand it. She knows the story of St. Nicholas well thanks to the CCC video about him.
We have the Playmobil Nativity and the kids love it.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#213 of 233 Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 AM

That's amazing, inchbyinch!

Prayers, wolfmama.

For the feast of St. Nicholas, we have the girls put a shoe outside their bedroom door and then put in chocolate coins, clementine oranges, and maybe a small toy.
#214 of 233 Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, I had several good finds at Walgreens today - a nativity that is very cute for $5, and chocolate coins for .39 for St. Nicholas's day. We're going to try a mini stocking instead of a shoe, as I don't have one to use really.

I also found a 4 pack of led candles with bases that would be perfect for our advent wreath - but they are white. Anyone know if you can paint them or cover them with something? I have a bunch of gift cards to walgreens so anything that comes from there is a plus.

DD is getting so excited!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#215 of 233 Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM

prayers wolfmom!

Frugalmama - no idea on the coloring of candles, but thanks for getting me excited about my errand to Walgreens tomorrow =)

Forgot to ask for suggestions! My hubby has expressed an interest in either beginning morning and evening prayers or a daily devotion. I'd like to gift him with a devotional/book to assist him. No idea where to start. Any suggestions for father/husband Catholic resources?

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#216 of 233 Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpumkin View Post
prayers wolfmom!

Frugalmama - no idea on the coloring of candles, but thanks for getting me excited about my errand to Walgreens tomorrow =)

Forgot to ask for suggestions! My hubby has expressed an interest in either beginning morning and evening prayers or a daily devotion. I'd like to gift him with a devotional/book to assist him. No idea where to start. Any suggestions for father/husband Catholic resources?
A very good one I found entirely by chance is My Daily Bread by The Confraternity of the Precious Blood. Little book, easy to carry around, not 100% geared toward fathers but very very good overall.

Magnificat might be good too.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#217 of 233 Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I had several good finds at Walgreens today - a nativity that is very cute for $5, and chocolate coins for .39 for St. Nicholas's day. We're going to try a mini stocking instead of a shoe, as I don't have one to use really.

I also found a 4 pack of led candles with bases that would be perfect for our advent wreath - but they are white. Anyone know if you can paint them or cover them with something? I have a bunch of gift cards to walgreens so anything that comes from there is a plus.

DD is getting so excited!
What kind of LED candles are they? Are the tea light kind? If so, you could probably find 3 purple and 1 pink tea light holder at your local catholic bookstore, or even at walmart or big lots. Walgreens might have them, as well!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#218 of 233 Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
What kind of LED candles are they? Are the tea light kind? If so, you could probably find 3 purple and 1 pink tea light holder at your local catholic bookstore, or even at walmart or big lots. Walgreens might have them, as well!
they aren't the tealight kind - they are a battery operated candlestick type.

I found 4 at my thrift today for $4 total, so I'm going to figure out how to make this work. I'm debating just tying a nice bow in purple/pink on each candle.

#219 of 233 Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
they aren't the tealight kind - they are a battery operated candlestick type.

I found 4 at my thrift today for $4 total, so I'm going to figure out how to make this work. I'm debating just tying a nice bow in purple/pink on each candle.
The bows would look lovely!
You might even wrap each candle in the appropriate colored ribbon, as well.

Do post pictures for all of us to marvel at!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#220 of 233 Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM

bump
#221 of 233 Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 PM

thanks for the prayers all! My dd surgery went very well and this week has been a little better. I'm getting along otherwise and trying to adopt a "no expectations, no diappointments" mentality with the people that are troubling me.

The good thing is that after having a couple of days where my dh and I were just plucking each others nerves, he sent me a dozen and a half roses and a box of chocolates with a card that said " I love you and appreciate all you do." I love my hubby!

I'm pooped today, but I'm trying to keep going because I'm going to visit a friend and her new baby today so I have to get a casserole together before I go. At least our older kids can play.
hope everyone has a good weekend and a great thanksgiving!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#222 of 233 Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

wolfmom - Glad your dd is doing well and how sweet of your DH!

I'm in a huge funk today. It's supposed to be "family fun day" as DH is off we were going to do something fun, but I'm so grouchy DH took DS out to the library and to do some errands alone. I think its mostly af - combinations of hormones and disappointment. I'd be 5 months right now if I were carrying the baby we lost.

Sorry to be a downer Is anyone else planning their Jesse tree? I think our ornaments are going to be kinda lame this year since I don't have any craft supplies or money to spend on them. Probably as bad as colored pens on paper - lol, but I'm excited anyway and will probably make the first few this week.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#223 of 233 Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchByInch View Post
Hey all, I've just lurked on this thread so far (loving the Advent and Christmas ideas, by the way!), but just had to share something that happened at Mass on Sunday: Just a couple of minutes before we went up for Communion, my 4-year-old looked up towards the ceiling and said (rather nonchalently), "Hey Mommy, I see angels." When I asked what they were doing, she said, "Praying." Isn't that awesome??? It made me cry (in a good way, of course).
That is really neat.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#224 of 233 Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
wolfmom glad everything went okay.

We have never made a jesse tree. Hmmm

We are planning on doing advent wreaths for our 3 year old CCD class next sunday though. That is always fun. I need to find some other Christmas crafts to do also for the upcoming sundays.

Heidi
#225 of 233 Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Is anyone else planning their Jesse tree? I think our ornaments are going to be kinda lame this year since I don't have any craft supplies or money to spend on them. Probably as bad as colored pens on paper - lol, but I'm excited anyway and will probably make the first few this week.
Hey, I have a fondness for colored pens on paper Jesse tree ornaments. That's what I grew up using.
#226 of 233 Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Does anyone know where I might can find a set of cookies cutters of the nativity?

preferably ones with individual cutters for Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, etc?

#227 of 233 Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I had never seen these before, but Amazon has a set from Fox Run that looks awesome. What a cool alternative to a ginger bread house.

JMJ - I'm glad to hear that! This will be DH's first year doing a Jesse Tree so of course I wanted it to be "perfect" - creative and inspiring, ya know. It is this kind of stuff that just makes Advent so special.

Just an fyi, I'm going to start a new thread for us after Thanksgiving. I'll post a link back here, but as thinks get busy remember to keep an eye for it Don't want to lose anyone!

#228 of 233 Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM

does anyone have good links for a Jesse tree?
#229 of 233 Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Mamas, I am so blessed today.

I went to my thrift today, in hopes of finding DD a coat. No luck with the coat, but I found a beautiful Nativity set that is non-breakable, and a 3 tiered candle holder that I'm going to use for our Advent wreath!

Was it on this thread that someone mentioned reusing the advent wreath as a Christmas wreath during Christmas and afterward? - can you elaborate if this was you?

The candle holder I got has three tiers, the bottom 2 have four holders each, and then one on the top. It's in a cone shape - I think when I put the greenery on it it will look a bit like a tree

#230 of 233 Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Mamas, I am so blessed today.

I went to my thrift today, in hopes of finding DD a coat. No luck with the coat, but I found a beautiful Nativity set that is non-breakable, and a 3 tiered candle holder that I'm going to use for our Advent wreath!

Was it on this thread that someone mentioned reusing the advent wreath as a Christmas wreath during Christmas and afterward? - can you elaborate if this was you?

The candle holder I got has three tiers, the bottom 2 have four holders each, and then one on the top. It's in a cone shape - I think when I put the greenery on it it will look a bit like a tree
Wow! Thats really lucky. I love thrift stores!! Good luck finding your DD a nice coat this winter.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#231 of 233 Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

frugalmama - That's awesome! Great finds!

Tuesday - I stumbled upon this link

http://www.catholicstyle.net/2009/10...tradition.html

I like it because it has a reading/ornament for every day of Advent, rather than just December. This will be our first year doing it that way, but I think its better.

I made a handful of ornaments this weekend to get us going. They're turning out better than I expected. I traced circles onto thick white paper (traced a yellow Medela bottle lid lol) and am just drawing the pictures on. DH and I had a good laugh about my attempts at the Ram, but the fat dog with devil horns will have to do :-p

#232 of 233 Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM

I have been having a lot of tooth trouble during this pregnancy and with no funds to see a dentist, I have started to pray to St. Apollonia for help (patron saint of dentistry and other tooth ailments). The only thing is...I can not find a single specific prayer dedicated to her. I have looked and looked. Does anyone know of one or where I can find one? It would be really helpful. Thank you!! And Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#233 of 233 Old 11-28-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

The new thread is up:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0#post14730570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page