Modest dressing mamas - please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pretty new to this type of dressing, and I'm having a hard time. In the summer it's easy to find skirts that are fun, flattering, and cute. But now that it's getting colder, I have no idea where to find cold-weather skirts. (And it gets COLD here! : ) Any modest dressing sites I've found online were really, well... frumpy. Do any of you know any online sites where I could find stuff that doesn't make me look like a grandma but is still feminine and good for cold weather? I toyed with the idea of getting some of the pants-outfits Muslim women wear - I love how they look, but I think DH would freak out if I stood out so much from the norm. He's already iffy on me covering. And we're on a budget so expensive stuff is out. And although I can sew I prefer not to sew my own clothes. I know skirts are supposedly pretty easy but, I'd rather get something premade this season.

ETA: Normally I would shop at the thrift store but we're stuck home without a car for the next couple of months, so everything is being ordered online, including food and everything else. No trips to the city for thrift store runs.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#2 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Land's End website. I'd get you the direct link to what I'm thinking of, but computer at work is acting strange.

Go under womens, then skirts, look for the Necessary Knits long skirts. Cotton blend that can be washed (hang dry). Super comfy - I live in mine. Not far above ankle length. Nice and flowy. Come in plus sizes, too.

Land's End also has had nice long corduroy skirts (I got one two years ago) in the winter, so keep an eye out.

Suggestion for winter, if you don't like tights - get a pair of capri-length silk underwear (I get mine from LL Bean). I wear trouser socks (like tights, but knee high length) with the capri silk underwear over them - I only buy black, since all my skirts/trouser socks/shoes are black. They don't stick out and you're warm AND comfy!

lady.gif
#3 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 PM

How long do you prefer your skirts to be? (Ankle length, below-the-knee, etc.)
#4 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Those Land's End skirts look awesome - I especially like the reddish colored one!

Liquesce - I tend to prefer the ones that are to the mid-calf for the most part. And not too tight - we have baby gates to step over and I've halfway fallen over several times when my skirts didn't have enough room to step with. Amused the kiddies, though, to see mommy tumbling like that...

ETA: One like the Land's End would be great, I think I will order one. But I'd also like to find some that might be patterned as well, just for some visual interest... Or at least happy-colored! That's why I like the red one so much.

And another ETA: I've never worn tights before so I'm going to have to figure out what works.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#5 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM

Hannah Llise and New Creation Women's Apparel both carry skirts that I think on average height women should fall to about where you prefer or a little below. And thinking for winter, longer tends to be better ... there's less room for catching a cool breeze up underneath the material. New Creation does carry wool skirts ... they're not super heavy weight wool, but certainly warmer than a lot of the light, flowy summer skirts out there.

Personally I think siding towards longer is also better for winter because it's a lot easier to wear a pair of long johns or even sweat pants or such under a long skirt without it being visible. A perfect winter combo to me is a wool or denim skirt, long johns, and tall boots.
#6 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh, THANK you, I'm bookmarking those sites for some late-night shopping tonight! :

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#7 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM

I also find that a slip is a MUST when I'm wearing tights or long johns under my winter skirts.

I second tall knee boots. Also looks cute with below the knee skirts in the fall during the transition to cooler weather.

Also try these sites:

http://www.bodenusa.com/

http://www.sundancecatalog.com

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#8 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post
Those Land's End skirts look awesome - I especially like the reddish colored one!

Liquesce - I tend to prefer the ones that are to the mid-calf for the most part. And not too tight - we have baby gates to step over and I've halfway fallen over several times when my skirts didn't have enough room to step with. Amused the kiddies, though, to see mommy tumbling like that...

ETA: One like the Land's End would be great, I think I will order one. But I'd also like to find some that might be patterned as well, just for some visual interest... Or at least happy-colored! That's why I like the red one so much.

And another ETA: I've never worn tights before so I'm going to have to figure out what works.
Here's a patterned one from Land's End - same as above, just patterned:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/PatternNe...2&origin=index

For the under the skirt problem in winter, here ya go:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tn&cat4=503056

Capri-length silk long underwear in black. I got one pair last year, and they're still in good shape. Wear black socks, knee highs, or trouser socks (tend to be more opaque). Wear capri long underwear over them. Long skirts, such as the Land's End ones, cover the capri long underwear just fine. I'm short - about 5'5" and the capri long underwear come several inches above my ankles. Comfy, warm, and you're not being cut in two by tights or pantyhose - or doing the contortion dance to get them on - which can take me 20 minutes!:

My "happy colors" go on top. I'm quite a minimalist/like things very simple, so all bottoms, shoes, and hose/socks are black. Tops are some shade of pink, purple, or blue, or maybe a combo with black. Makes my life in the mornings so much simpler, since all bottoms go with all tops!

lady.gif
#9 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I will definitely check those links out too, keep them coming!

I'm backwards apparently - my tops are all black (or white for the summer) but I wear bright on the bottom. I tend to wear bright scarves too so I guess they even me out?

Keep the links and suggestions coming, these are great!

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#10 of 48 Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 PM

I would browse around www.etsy.com as well. Lots of clever women sewing on that site.

I'm a big fan of layering as well. You layer on top, so why not on bottom? I'm known for layering a long jean skirt with a slit with a more billowy skirt underneath - get the warmth of 2 layers with the modesty of a skirt with no slit.

Also, look for corduroy. Great winter fabric. Just google corduroy skirts. I pretty much live in them in the winter.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#11 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Also, look for corduroy. Great winter fabric. Just google corduroy skirts. I pretty much live in them in the winter.
I can never seem to find heavier weight corduroy. I love it too, but all that I have functions just fine as summer-wear even.
#12 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 AM

#13 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Liquesce, I agree with you, actually. The corduroy skirts I have are high-end - Banana Republic and the like. I found a fantastic lined corduroy skirt at Goodwill once. It's pretty hit-and-miss as to whether you'll get the winter-weight. Oh, and LLBean also has winter-weight corduroy skirts too, in riding length. Not sure about floor length.

I will second Shukr. SUCH beautiful clothing. The skirts run long, though, so keep it in mind if you're short.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#14 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an interlock skirt and it's surprisingly warm in winter. I'd love to get some more from lands end.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#15 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
nak

I just got a Morning Glory skirt in Afterglow from Patagonia - on sale for 30$ that is the most perfect comfortable calf length beauty. I'm in love.

In the winter though, maybe you want to wear ankle length? At least out doors. Layering a skirt over pants is very warm. I wear a lot of yoga pants -- I like the light weight ones from American Apparel.

I also like long denim skirts from Style J. The "vintage" one is the one I wear most often as it's sooo comfortable.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#16 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just wear cheap leggings and knee socks under skirts in the winter. Keeps my legs warm - even when I was in Alaska!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#17 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Nim

I just wanted to say thanks for asking OP! I'm bookmarking a couple sites too!
#18 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

I had a field day with this just now. I must have bookmarked at least three or four dozen choices that I have to narrow down from to two or three. Boo! I wish I could afford them all!

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#19 of 48 Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 PM

Oooohh great thread, looking forward to reading it not so close to shabbat.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#20 of 48 Old 09-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
check out gap and oldnavy. especially their online stores. They have cheap, cute long skirts, (ok they don't have any now but keep your eyes peeled)

also maxi dresses are great because they are supper long and flattering and while most of them have speghetti straps and low cut you could easily throw a sweater on over them. and then the top just gives you another under layer of warmness.

always a nice cute long skirt is to take and old pair of jeans and turn it into a skirk. you undo the inseam up to the zipper and quite a ways in the back and lay it flat. insert a triangle of fabric in the front and back to join the two legs and....I am sure there are instructions on line.....

also think layers. leggins are totally in right now and tall boots are always cute with the right skirt.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#21 of 48 Old 09-12-2009, 01:35 AM

Spiegel and Newport News usually have long skirts, too, and with fall coming they probably have their heavier stuff in now.
#22 of 48 Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Just wanted to plug wearing a Salwar Kameez! The pants are loose and have a drawstring waist and the top can be as fitted as you are comfortable with (and as long as you choose, too). I started wearing them when I was pregnant with my first and wanted something to wear to a wedding. Now, I'd live in them if I had more of them! They are super comfortable and look smashing, but cover you up and come with a scarf that you can cover your head with, too, if you prefer.

I know you said your DH might not be that into the look, but maybe get a simple-coloured one and give it a try?

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#23 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 01:08 AM

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/PRODU...rts/49521.html

I'm thinking I could make something like this (but I think I could only get cotton). We have wet windy but not super low temp winters. Do you think the wind would go through a nice cotton flannel? (I'm thinking about something to wear with ideally, boots and no tights, though maybe I can find some stocking tights, or some of those capri long underwear.) I do want a wool skirt, but if cotton flannel would work, that would greatly help (because cotton is less expensive of course).

Any experience with cotton flannel and windy winters?

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#24 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think a flannel skirt would suck....thats just me. If you do make it out of cotton flannel make sure it is an excellent quality heavy weight flannel and line it with something slippery .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#25 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Now you're all making me think about flannel-lined skirts. Flannel-lined corduroy or flannel-lined denim would be fantastic in winter.
#26 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I did end up getting a couple of nice skirts and I will definitely get more if I have the money for them... right now it was a tight month. :

OK, now I have a somewhat OT question, relating though.

The site I ended up buying from was Shukr. I ended up buying a couple of tunics as well. (And got a free hijab, woot!) I was going to buy some drawstring pants to go along with them (they look SO comfy and they make cute sets) but they were too expensive and they didn't have the right size/color. I will try to get some when I have the money.

Anyway, right now the only pants in my closet are jeans, a million pair that I haven't worn in a while. I'm not really anti-pants so much as I am pro-feminine and pro-modest looks. I know LOTS of people hate jeans for some reason. If a tunic, however, covers the "tight" bits, that it's long enough to fall to the knee or thereabout, is there anything wrong with wearing jeans under? I'm honestly looking for perspectives. I feel jeans are very comfortable and the only thing immodest about them is how they accentuate the curves of the thighs, behind, etc. If that's all covered up, there's no problem, is there? But I always see people wearing loose pants for the bottoms with the tunics. What am I missing?

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#27 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 PM

I think wearing jeans under a long tunic type shirt would be fine... I wear lose jeans with modest tops or more fitted ones under shorter dresses, I have a serious lack of skirts right now.

Not to thread jack.. but what are some good sites for calf length skirts? I really need more (none of mine fit anymore) but I want cute/young looking and all I can ever find in stores around here is kind of old/frumpy looking!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#28 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Some people prefer not accentuate the shape of the whole leg, not just the hips and thighs. Personally I'm happy with flared leg pants when I'm going to be doing something during which I feel a long skirt might inhibit my mobility (which for me includes such challenging activities as stair climbing, on account of being a klutz ) ... but if you feel straight leg or even skinny leg pants with a long top are fine, great. All that means is that you have more options ... for all the established standards of different people and different paths, a whole lot of it is really is just subjective judgment.

(P.S. - Show us what you bought!)
#29 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 PM
npl

I made a couple of flannel skirts from really heavy-weight shirt flannel. DD's was great with socks, but with cotton tights, the straighter one it had a tendency to stick to her legs like fuzzy felts (you know that toy where you have a flannel board and little pieces of felt that stick to make a picture?). The pleated one seemed just fine.
The one I made for myself worked fine when I wore a nylon slip, even with cotton tights (though I mostly wore nylon opaque with that skirt).
Not sure about the wind, though. Here we deal with very cold temperatures, though, and the flannel was definitely warmer than a regular cotton skirt, even the lighter denim ones.
#30 of 48 Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Personally I'm happy with flared leg pants when I'm going to be doing something during which I feel a long skirt might inhibit my mobility (which for me includes such challenging activities as stair climbing, on account of being a klutz )
I so could have written that!! Our house is a MAZE of baby gates so looseer jeans are a must at home or I would be constantly falling up and down the stairs....

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page