Christians with Pagan leanings - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky*hawk View Post
Oh my gosh! That's the whole book??? Cool...
No I think it's only bits of it but it gives enough to see if it's worth buying, IMO.

Sorry.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Oh that's ok. Just now I skimmed through it and it was 246 pages so I assumed it was the whole thing. No sorries needed

Leslie, open-hearted mama to 3.5 yr old dd and almost 1 yr ds
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

I have my hands full so this is going to be short and sweet.

I just watched this video and I feel impressed to begin doing daily offerings that are threefold- to God (Goddess, the Universe, etc), to my fellow man, and to Mama Earth.

More thoughts on this later...

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 01-07-2010, 02:06 AM

Cool video. Her vlog makes me miss my house in the country. Definitely interested in hearing your further thoughts.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok back!

My thoughts were that each day i should be giving a little to God, humanity, and the Earth. I was thinking this could take the form of personal sacrifice to be closer to God (ie: taking the time to pray, read sacred texts, etc etc), give some sort of service to my fellow man (more often than not this will probably be doing my best at being a mother that day as I don't get out much), and helping out Mama Earth in some way (gardening, feeding the animals in my neighborhood, etc etc). Just little things that are DOABLE for a busy SAHM of 5 little ladies 6 and under.

Speaking of my children- I am feeling so blessed to have 5 daughters right now. Wow! 5 daughters- 5 women. 5 birth givers. 5 sisters. (I have in the past had great issues with never having a son so this feels very good!)

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Awww yay for embracing your girls! I hope I can come to the same peace if I never manage to have a girl...right now it doesn't seem possible.

Somebody wanna help me come up with a calendar? I need to plan the year. Pagan holidays, Christian holidays (including maybe some of the less-mainstream more Jewish or Catholic type holidays?) ect. I feel like this is really my year to celebrate and give thanks all year long.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Awww yay for embracing your girls! I hope I can come to the same peace if I never manage to have a girl...right now it doesn't seem possible.

Somebody wanna help me come up with a calendar? I need to plan the year. Pagan holidays, Christian holidays (including maybe some of the less-mainstream more Jewish or Catholic type holidays?) ect. I feel like this is really my year to celebrate and give thanks all year long.
I have my year planned out in Google Calendar. Maybe I could email it to you? Do I have the correct email address for you (the one I emailed the nLDS stuff to?)

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Oooh yes, please!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I added you. I may be adding some things and what not.
I also have a moon one I will add to it but it's just naming the full and new moons...

Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 AM

I found this recently and it:
http://www.earthcyclecalendars.com/

I appears you can make notes of additional holidays you would like to celebrate around the outer rim.

I really like the look of this one too, but that's because I love trees:
http://www.ncrlc.com/1directory4_img...r_imgs/win.gif

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
I found this recently and it:
http://www.earthcyclecalendars.com/

I appears you can make notes of additional holidays you would like to celebrate around the outer rim.

I really like the look of this one too, but that's because I love trees:
http://www.ncrlc.com/1directory4_img...r_imgs/win.gif
I would love a cross stitching pattern like that!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

You're right, that would be stunning, especially in a large size. You could even stitch the names and birthdays of family members on it.

I ordered one of the posters last night. I'm excited to get it!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 AM

Here and reading. I'm an LDS mama and this thread is really nice to see. I often think to myself, "If I wasn't LDS, then I'm sure I'd be Pagan." LOL. Now, I see that there are other like-minded mamas! Hooray!

Nothing to add--just wanted to say that I'm here and that I'm excited to read what everyone has to offer.

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 PM

I just ordered the gorgeous earth cycle calendar too, Jenn. I can't wait to get it!!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
Old 01-09-2010, 02:17 PM

That is a neat calendar!

Here to say hi and to join the thread! I've been looking for others like me.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 PM

xposting from the Pagan thread because I could use all the prayers/positive energy I can get.

Yesterday was a craptastic day energy wise. I've been dealing with a toxic friend and things finally kind of came to a head...after things that happened yesterday it should be pretty much done and I felt mostly ok with that, but my DH and her DH are friends and DH's pretty upset and wants to try and fix things. So I feel bad for him and not quite sure what's what right now. An entire department was laid off at his work, including 3 guys who came in at the same time he did. I lost my job (at least temporarily) because the lady I nanny for is struggling to keep her house right now (and she can have her grandma come watch her kids for free, she just really doesn't like to do that because grandma causes more problems than she solves) so I'm out until at least February, but probably longer. And then we found out that we're getting a good $2000 less back in taxes than we normally do (and were planning for) because we got some bad advice last year. Our tax return should've paid off all our debt and gotten us on our way to a downpayment so we can get out of our apartment this year. Instead it's barely paying off the debt and we won't even have a full emergency fund in our savings when it's all said and done - which also means no fun money. That really sucks for me because DH just bought a $500 computer that he needed for a game coming out with the belief we'd pay it off with taxes and then I'd get some money to spend on myself. We'll pay it off, but there's no money left for me.

So...happy thoughts today! A friend of mine suggested writing an "ad" or a "recipe" for a new, positive relationship in my life. And I definitely need to do something about attracting financial stability.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Love and light, hun! I am so so sorry you are going through this. I have been there and just reading it stirred up the emotions I have felt in that position. All that memememe just to say I'M HERE!!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM

jenneology - I think you posted that earth cycle calendar before and I have been thinking about it ever since. Maybe I just need to get it... and the tree poster is gorgeous! Maggie I cross-stitch too and you are right that would be absolutely beautiful and with my family names cross-stitched around it... oooooo!

I checked out the video blog about making offerings everyday. I think I've been doing that but in a different way. I keep an altar of sorts and light a candle on it everyday or light some incense. I change it regularly to reflect what's going on in my spiritual life. I keep in a corner on the cabinets in my kitchen since that is where I tend to spend a lot of time. Making offerings of sweet smelling incense or lighting a candle is very powerful for me.

Moonprysm - its so hard when things like that happen in our lives. Sending you lots of positive and restorative energy. I recently let go of a toxic friend. It's hard...but my soul feels lighter for having done it. From an astological point of view, the sun and moon squared with Uranus with the new moon in Sagittarius. Check out Tracy's article here. It may help give you a different perspective at least.

cachet - I really liked reading your blog. I posted a comment for you with credit for the New Year Questionnaire. How did that go for everyone who did it?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lava mama View Post
Here and reading. I'm an LDS mama and this thread is really nice to see. I often think to myself, "If I wasn't LDS, then I'm sure I'd be Pagan." LOL. Now, I see that there are other like-minded mamas! Hooray!

Nothing to add--just wanted to say that I'm here and that I'm excited to read what everyone has to offer.

Just before I became LDS eight years ago, I was learning about Wicca. Now I'm back in that place melding the two. I love how compatible they are!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

I found these two things that I think might be useful.
http://www.universetoday.com/guide-t...n-phases-2010/
http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-january-2010.phtml

I wish I could find a widget that would work on my Facebook (I have tried several) and/or my desktop that displays the moon phases.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM

I really like the Lunaria Journal I got this year and also the We'Moon calendar is good for keeping up with phases of the moon. Also Tracy's articles are really good for deciphering what all of it means. She posts about the New Moons every month and also the different phases.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I need to read more of Tracy's stuff. I always mean to but it's so overwhelming! I really do need to pick up "Astrology For Dummies" or something like that.

I am eying this. But I also like the idea of the We'Moon one. But does it list the Sabbats and such?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Yes, it lists the Sabbats in the front and then lists them in the actual calendar part. It has beautiful art and writing...

Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yay! I need to find a place to look at it on the inside... I'll try Amazon (man I wish I had a Pagan shop in my area! I guess I should check again as the last time I checked was oh... 7 years ago? )

Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Have you checked their website?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky*hawk View Post
Have you checked their website?

I have to thank you all for being so patient with my foggy-brained-ness.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post

I have to thank you all for being so patient with my foggy-brained-ness.
I didn't think anything of it because it's something I would have done! I think it comes with motherhood...

Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

An Amazon book list for the Christopagan...

Old 01-10-2010, 04:04 PM

OOoh a lot of those are really cheap, used, too!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 PM

I managed to find BOTH of our Vertigo decks (DH's brand new one he never opened after I got it for his for Christmas YEARS ago and my used one). So excited! Then I go through and remember that my deck is missing 2 cards, one of them being my favorite. I have this partial memory of using one of them as a bookmark...but I don't remember. *ETA* I found the bookmark one! Still missing my favorite. I don't know if I can keep using it without my favorite card. I DID do a 1-card draw though and got the 4 of swords. Pretty good card based on what I've been through in the last week.

Kinda mad DH hasn't touched his deck but is insisting that it's HIS deck. So I have no choice but to work with my incomplete deck. Positive thoughts for me finding Death would be nice. (DH thinks I used it as a bookmark somewhere else but I don't remember).

User Tag List