Christians with Pagan leanings - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 165 Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the one that stands out most to me.

I don't think I saw this one on the list:
http://www.amazon.com/Embracing-Jesu...ref=pd_sim_b_4

I got the Lwellyn 2009 Calendar, I enjoyed the readings each month, but the datebook seems like it might be more inclusive.

I think my husband has a moon phase widget on his Mac. I'm wishing there was a fertility chart widget.

Today at church we had a great lesson on the Nature of God who he is and I think in the next lesson, we'll be able to have a really good conversation about his Goddess.

Oh...maybe I should share this article I read recently: this article described how perhaps there was legitimate goddess worship in the Jewish temple in pre-Christ times.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#122 of 165 Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

My iPod Touch has cool menstrual cycle aps but I can't find a free moon one.

<Mormon>
I have never been able to have a good conversation about Mother in heaven at church. As a matter of fact this past Mother's Day a brother talked about Her in sacrament meeting and was reprimanded for it later. Let us know how it goes!

Speaking of which I felt moved to listen to Oh My Father today. I posted it on my FB.
</Mormon>

I want to read the Jesus/Goddess one sooo badly!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#123 of 165 Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 AM

We sang Oh My Father at the end of RS today.

I think that a conversation about Heavenly Mother/Goddess would work in my ward. We had an excellent conversation about science supporting religious belief and my ward has been called the most liberal ward in the church. I think it'll be fine. Feminist thought is pretty much the norm around here.

I'm going to check out the menstrual cycle aps, thanks!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#124 of 165 Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Moon phase widget:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...prisesinc.html

#125 of 165 Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the link to that widget! I needed one of those
#126 of 165 Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Wow! I'm impressed by churches that allow Mother Goddess talk! Is it the LDS church?

One thing I wanted to share: This Christmas, for the first time, Mary was in the forefront of my mind. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that this Christmas I was actually holding my own baby son... It was very illuminating and quite wonderful to focus on Mary for once. I guess that's the one thing about the Catholic church that I can get behind.

Leslie, open-hearted mama to 3.5 yr old dd and almost 1 yr ds
#127 of 165 Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky*hawk View Post
Wow! I'm impressed by churches that allow Mother Goddess talk! Is it the LDS church?

One thing I wanted to share: This Christmas, for the first time, Mary was in the forefront of my mind. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that this Christmas I was actually holding my own baby son... It was very illuminating and quite wonderful to focus on Mary for once. I guess that's the one thing about the Catholic church that I can get behind.
No the LDS church definitely does not allow any focus on Mother in Heaven. We believe in Her but that's about it. She is mentioned in the hymn O My Father. But beyond that no. It depends on the congregation for talking about Her- in my area we don't (it's a no-no) but Jenne has had the opposite experience.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#128 of 165 Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Going to an Imbolc planning meeting tomorrow with my AP-friendly family-centered group.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#129 of 165 Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 AM

We didn't actually end up talking about Heavenly Mother during the "Our Heavenly Family" lesson and I was pretty disappointed. I feel like I should have mentioned it and brought her into the discussion in the lesson before when I felt like it was going to be appropriate. But I looked ahead in the manual and thought it would be more applicable in the next lesson. And then the teacher got switched at the last minute and turned it into a lesson of "how does knowing you are a child of God help you as a mother/wife/daughter?" It just wasn't the type of lesson I needed. Again.

I wrote a blog post recently about her: http://jenneology.blogspot.com/2010/...-feminine.html

#130 of 165 Old 01-31-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am full of thoughts this Sunday morning!

I have been thinking on Women's Spirituality and womanhood in general within patriarchal religions like Christianity. I have so many thoughts buzzing around in my head about this. I really don't have a problem with the fact that women do not openly hold the priesthood in my religion as I believe womanhood in and of itself is a sacred calling. Where my problem lies in that that truth is not talked about and even so much as denied in my religion and Christianity in general. That's what I would like to work on. What kills me is that when women seek to strengthen their spirituality it is looked down on as 'wrong' or even 'sinful'. Ok I have to cut this way short as I have 2 fussy babies. What are your thoughts on Women's Spirituality?

I am looking at getting The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries and am very excited about it. Has anyone else read this? I think I remember someone talking about it. Thoughts on this book?

#131 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I believe womanhood in and of itself is a sacred calling. Where my problem lies in that that truth is not talked about and even so much as denied in my religion and Christianity in general. That's what I would like to work on. What kills me is that when women seek to strengthen their spirituality it is looked down on as 'wrong' or even 'sinful'.
Well said. I appreciate that you brought this up, as I have been feeling a need to comprehensively write about my feelings on women's spirituality, kind of a summary of things I have read that resonate with me. When I do, I will post it. I haven't read that book.

Here is a quote I posted on FB last week:
Quote:
To live as closely as possible to the numinous wild a woman must do more head tossing, more brimming, have more sniffling intuition, more creative life, more 'get down dirty,' more solitude, more women's company, more natural life, more fire, more spirit, more cooking of words and ideas. She must do more recognition of sorority, more seeding, more root stock-keeping, more kindness to men, more neighborhood revolution, more poetry, more painting of fables and facts, longer reaches into the wild feminine.
~Clarissa Pinkola Estes, from Women Who Run with the Wolves

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#132 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
I wrote a blog post recently about her: http://jenneology.blogspot.com/2010/...-feminine.html
Interesting post! While honestly I'd thought about the multiple mothers thing, I'd never REALLY connected it with my belief in "Goddess", so to speak. Something to think about.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#133 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I am so posting that to my FB, Cachet! Thank you!

Jenne- I keep meaning to tell you I very much liked that post.

Ok I really need to get back here and share my thoughts on Women's Spirituality but there is so much to do before the girls get up and here I am on the computer! Ack!...

#134 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM

I mentioned the Holy Book of Women's Mysteries as I found it at Half Price Books! Yay! Anyway, I've ready parts of it, but not all of it. More thoughts later...Must go pick up dd from PDO.

#135 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Where my problem lies in that that truth is not talked about and even so much as denied in my religion and Christianity in general. That's what I would like to work on. What kills me is that when women seek to strengthen their spirituality it is looked down on as 'wrong' or even 'sinful'.
I would really like to hear your experiences with this because I don't think I've seen examples of this in my life or I don't know what you are referring to exactly.

You're making me think that you need to get out of SoCal and come up here to Seattle. You would probably be in love, like I am, with an LDS woman up here. I think she might blog but I haven't found her blog, and I'm pretty sure she's written for some of the LDS magazines, but I haven't found any of her articles. All I know is that I could listen to her teach every week, unfortunately many of the members in my ward don't like her teaching style as much as I do.

#136 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would really like to hear your experiences with this because I don't think I've seen examples of this in my life or I don't know what you are referring to exactly.

You're making me think that you need to get out of SoCal and come up here to Seattle. You would probably be in love, like I am, with an LDS woman up here. I think she might blog but I haven't found her blog, and I'm pretty sure she's written for some of the LDS magazines, but I haven't found any of her articles. All I know is that I could listen to her teach every week, unfortunately many of the members in my ward don't like her teaching style as much as I do.
I would think it was just So Cal if it weren't for the feminist LDS women's movement. What I have experienced has been experienced all over the country in countless wards and stakes and sadly much worse than just what I a, talking about. Really I have had it quite good in comparison. I would say your experience is in the minority. You pretty much answered your own question here:
Quote:
All I know is that I could listen to her teach every week, unfortunately many of the members in my ward don't like her teaching style as much as I do.
Unfortunately women aren't treated as equals in our church. We aren't treated horribly but we aren't quite equals yet. We pay lip service to womanhood and motherhood (etc) but the fact still remains that the YM and Priesthood groups get more funding from the church than YW and RS, that only a few women speak and General Conference, that women are told to cover up or sit in the bathroom to breastfeed in countless wards, and there are still wards where only the men are allowed to open sacrament meetings with prayer (etc etc). I do understand what you are saying but I think you aren't realizing just how prevalent all of this is. Worse yet it is "just how it's done". We talk a lot about the importance of motherhood and women but we don't really live up to that. Not to say we aren't working on it and not to say we are horrible just saying we do have a ways to go. But really when men are discouraged so strongly from staying home and viewed as weak if they do so and allow their wives to work there is a problem with how the greater society is viewing women. If they really think it is 'weak' or less than to be home then essentially what they are saying is it is weak and less than to be a woman. That is my entire point- it isn't. We can say that all we want but until we start acting accordingly it's not going to mean as much.

#137 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify I am talking about Mormon culture not doctrine.

#138 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM

How was Imbolc for everyone? We had braided Brigid's bread and potato soup by candlelight, read a story from Circle Round (which just came in the mail today, yay!), gave an offering outside of food from our dinner (we just had 1.5ft of snow, so it was pretty cool to put the food out for animals who can't find food through the snow and to watch the snow melt when we poured out the soup) and had a personal drum circle in our living room. <3 It went really well! I had planned to focus on Candlemas tomorrow, too, but it seems we did all the fun stuff today. lol We're having pancakes for dinner by candlelight tomorrow but I don't know what else.

#139 of 165 Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds so awesome! We'll be doing our celebrations tomorrow. Something small but there nonetheless.

#140 of 165 Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM

I totally scored last night at Half Priced Books! I got a 6 CD course by Joan Borysenko, Ph.D called "A Woman's Spiritual Retreat: Teachings, Meditations, and Rituals to Celebrate Your Authentic Feminine Wisdom." I got it for $3! I couldn't believe it. Does anyone have any experience with this author?

#141 of 165 Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM

WOW Leslie, that's awesome! I haven't read any of her books, only seen bits quoted in Dance of the Dissident Daughter.

Happy Valentine's!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#142 of 165 Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM

Oh good! I have Dance of the Dissident Daughter but haven't read it in a while. I loved that book, so if she quoted her then I'm probably in good hands.

#143 of 165 Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

How is that going, Leslie?

#144 of 165 Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM

You know, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to it yet. I keep thinking that I need to start either in the mornings before my kids are up or at night while I'm soaking in the tub (hot baths are a nightly ritual for me in the winter).

#145 of 165 Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM

I've been meaning to share this for awhile: The Book of Moses Chapter 7

It names the earth as "mother of men" (i.e. Mother Earth) and she speaks having a spirit of her own. She is quoted as saying, "Wo, wo is me, the mother of men; I am pained, I am weary, because of the wickedness of my children. When shall I rest, and be cleansed from the filthiness which is gone forth out of me? When will my Creator sanctify me, that I may rest, and righteousness for a season abide upon my face?"

Of particular note is the mention in the chapter regarding the oath made to Noah and the cleansing of the earth. I have heard it taught that Noah's flood was the earth's baptism and when it is sanctified it will be done by fire, a symbol of receiving the Holy Ghost--both of which are ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And then it will be transfigured and become a paradise. I'm pulling from various spots of the LDS Scriptures which expounded upon the themes presented in the Old and New Testaments. That's OT however.

I just find it very inspiring that the earth has a spirit, and a consciousness. That is very in tune with Starhawk's teachings in The Earth Path and it inspires in me the holy, spiritual responsibility that true stewardship is.

For me as a Christian, this is why I do not feel I worship earth but I do reverence and respect its spirit and energy in a similar sense to the way I respect the spirits of others. Each life is sacred and love is the law. Just as I would connect spiritually with my spouse, children or with other fellow-citizens, I too can connect with the earth. I love the communication exercises in Earth Path for that reason. Its an opportunity to "talk" to the earth.

#146 of 165 Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It names the earth as "mother of men" (i.e. Mother Earth) and she speaks having a spirit of her own. She is quoted as saying, "Wo, wo is me, the mother of men; I am pained, I am weary, because of the wickedness of my children. When shall I rest, and be cleansed from the filthiness which is gone forth out of me? When will my Creator sanctify me, that I may rest, and righteousness for a season abide upon my face?"
Maybe there's not a thread of Christianity left in me afterall... As I was reading your post, I actually started feeling anger. Why is it that women always seem to produce "wicked" things in the Christian faith? Why is it that what comes from the mother is always "filthy and wicked" and she must be cleansed and made righteous by the father?

Jenneology, please don't mistake my comments as any sort of expression of anger toward you. I respect your beliefs as your own and am grateful that they beg questions of my spirit.

In my heart, the Mother and the Father hold equal weight in the world of "men." I find myself needing one or the other, or sometimes both, at different times in my life... Or sometimes Spirit comes to me in animal form. Anyway, I have a hard time believing that what comes from Spirit is "wicked" or "filthy." Now I'm asking myself, "Where does evil come from then?"

Jenne, thanks for the opportunity to explore

#147 of 165 Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 AM

So from that I really don't get that the sense that what the earth produces is wicked and that the products of women are filthy. That is so very generalized and given the evident beauty of the earth all round us (and a strong thread in Christianity). Yet it does remain possible and true that children borne from a woman will not become good people as they grow up. The evil that is present in the world come from children-grown-into-adults who were borne from women. That's all I think that quote can be saying. That some of the fruit of man on earth are choosing evil over good and that saddens the spirit of the earth. What mother wouldn't be saddened to see some of their children choosing actions that hurt others and destroy truth and beauty?

#148 of 165 Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

bump! What are everyone's Ostara plans?

#149 of 165 Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Hello! I am glad I found this thread. Looking forward to reading it.

Trin.
#150 of 165 Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachet View Post
I just ordered the gorgeous earth cycle calendar too, Jenn. I can't wait to get it!!
Have you received yours yet?

I just realized that it hasn't been delivered and I need to start checking on it. Hmmm, disappointing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page