Christians with Pagan leanings - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 165 Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I introduce myself? I think I belong here--I'm more recently expanding into ideas that seem to fit better under paganism than Christianity. Basically I'm a newbie.

I'm Tanya, married to DH for 11 years now, with a 6yo daughter and a 4yo son.

It's partly the kids that are making me realize I could use a few pointers--any idea on how to explain the melding of ideas that some feel are flat-out incompatible? We're Christian, not going to church now, but we've talked about God as loving, all-knowing creator, Jesus, fairly basic Christian beliefs. And a good portion of the Christians I knew growing up, good, loving people, would fundamentally be deeply uncomfortable truly discussing topics like astrology.

How do I explain that I'm making a Treasure Map on the Aries New Moon? I mean--I'm not sure I'm ready for the kids to say "Aries New Moon" to the extended family (who are great in so many ways, generally quite good with my weirdness), I'm not sure it's a discussion I'm ready to start yet. So far, I'm just talking about dreams and goals I have, wanting to make a visual record of them, and they seem interested in doing small versions for themselves. But I'm ignoring the timing aspect.

Any tips on how you've melded these beliefs and practices in the way you communicate and deal with the rest of the world?
#152 of 165 Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 AM

It is wonderful to see you all here! Our family very much fits in with you. We are also spiritual misfits in society. I don't have time to write now but am subbing.

: : ::
#153 of 165 Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Happy Earth Day! How are you celebrating? We're going to pick up trash (a regular occurrance, but we'll do more than normal.

I just posted this as my FB status update:
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. " ~ Native American Proverb

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#154 of 165 Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM

PS- Hi Tanya and Susie!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#155 of 165 Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Hello! I am actually Kristy. Susie is my cat. We are very much into our Celtic ancestry and follow the Ireland Through the Year book rituals. My husband was raised Catholic and we were pentecostal for a while. It was the church where his extended family ended up at so we went there to be with the family. After moving away, and finding ourselves, we are more pagan than ever. Still finding our way, I guess. I appreicate the book mentionings on this thread. I have gotten a few of them from the library and am starting to read Dissident Daughter now... as much as I can while HSing 3 children and having a toddler and baby.

: : ::
#156 of 165 Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

BUMP!

I have been thinking about this thread a lot, lately. I read this book: The Path of a Christian Witch and really liked it though we share a different faith and I don't feel drawn to exactly what she has been. Since then it seems my path is unfolding right before me. I kind of feel like I'm on overdrive, actually. 

I also really loved this video. At one point she says something along the lines of "you can even be a Christian and do what I do". 

I anyone still around?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#157 of 165 Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 AM

I have this thread subscribed, so when you bumped it I saw :)

I've been reading "Drawing Down the Moon" and thinking about ways to bring some of the rituals into our lives, not necessarily as religious rites, but as parts of our lives still.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#158 of 165 Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 AM

I am still here too. Right now I am reading Women Who Run With the Wolves. I read the Introduction yesterday afternoon and started tearing up two sentences in. I am planning on some sort of Solstice celebration for the first time and I feel so happy! I do not remember who recommended the book The Shortest Day, but thank you, I just ordered it. 

If any of you have plans for this Winter Solstice, would you mind sharing them? I have read on here (MDC) before about a Soup and Solstice Celebration and I am leaning that way. I love making homemade soup and baking bread. 

Maggie-Thanks for the book rec. I enjoyed the video you posted.

edited to add: We will be celebrating the Solstice along with Christmas this year, not in lieu of. joy.gif

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#159 of 165 Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm reading The Path of the Christian Witch right now as well as When God was a Woman. I've been blogging about the Goddess a lot lately and feeling a connection with Her. One of the impressions I got when reading The Path of the Christian Witch is that spells and rituals have much in common with prayer and energy work. We may not understand how energy works but it can and does happen in all of those ways.

Can anyone tell me about traditions that honor male and female deities? And how they are conceived of separately and together? Thats where I'm pondering now. How to have an individual relationship with each that is separate from the other without marginalizing the other. If they are perfected glorified beings is it possible to conceive of them separately?

Has anyone else tried to include the Goddess in Christian belief?

Aurora, the Solstice Celebration described in The Path of the Christian Witch is a good starting point. The focus was on light and hope. Candles and written hopes shared with others. I'd love to be apart of a community IRL that would do this with a bonfire with dancing, singing and talking.

At my church's Christmas party, I decorated a table with a Solstice table decoration and performed an Irish dance to I Saw Three Ships. Last year I sang The Holly and The Ivy. Its been my small way of recognizing and calling people to remembrance that Christmas co-opted Solstice and is the source of so many of the traditions.

Out of curiosity, I decided to do some internet searching to see if there were any community events celebrating Yule on the day of the Solstice in my city. I live in Seattle and found that there will be a ritual at a bookstore. I also found the local Pagan church and saw that they have ties with a UU church in the area. I'm planning on going to the ritual. I think it's something that my husband won't drag his feet on since he's known I've been looking for something like it for years. Maybe you can search and see if there is something happening near you? I know it depends on city/location but you might get lucky.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#160 of 165 Old 12-18-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ah! My subscriptions aren't working so I didn't see you all had responded. 

I am thinking about the Solstice right now and how to celebrate it. Adelina (the author of The Path of a Christian Witch) has an article that I found interesting... http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/2129

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#161 of 165 Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm glad that this thread was bumped! Definitely subbing! I'm a Unitarian Universalist Christian who follows the rhythms of the natural world, with a non-observant Jewish husband. This time is simply magical for our family. Hanukkah is already over, but we are still in Advent as we gear up for Christmas and Winter Solstice is just days away. Yesterday, we went to a simple, little ritual for Winter Solstice geared towards very young children. Even though it's not on solstice proper, I jumped at the chance for our family to celebrate with a couple dozen other families with small children the solstice. My church (UU) is having a lay-led service on Solstice. We were planning to go, but my daughter is sick, so we will have to see how she is come Solstice.

I've been reading the thread, and I've heard a lot of laments about the patriarchal nature of Christianity. For Advent, I wanted to make sure that I focused on the religious nature of this season for me. One thing I did was read Marcus Borg's The First Christmas. I definitely walked away with a new appreciation of the birth stories of Jesus, particularly that of Luke's (which, by the way, is the story that is most represented in our dominant culture). Luke's story shows strong female characters in the form of Elizabeth and Mary. In Luke, angels reveal the birth of Jesus to shepherds - peasants! The focus of Matthew's birth story of Jesus is stressing the parallel's between Jesus and Moses, a pretty cool dude who led people out of slavery. I think there are a lot of stories of liberation of the poor, the outcast, and women in the Bible in general, and particularly in the stories about Jesus. If that wasn't true, I don't think that these would be the kinds of stories about God that I would want to share with my children or even the best lens for me to see God. The First Christmas, and other works of Borg, help me keep that focus, and I'd strongly recommend them to anyone who sees themselves as Christians, but struggle with conventional, patriarchal Christianity.

And if I haven't outed myself enough as a bookworm, I thought I'd share this passage from The winter Witch, a children's book by Cay Bonnyman Evans, about the season that I LOVE. In the story, a boy goes to a witch's home. She has him break the ice in a pond, and they talk for a bit. After a while, he sees animals come to the hole in the pond to drink water, and Mattie, the witch, tells him that this is her gift to them for the season. As she explains this, she says:

...it's a cold, dark time for all God's creatures. And no matter what you call it - Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, or just plain winter - it's a time to comfort others and shed light on darkness, whether from lights on a tree, menorah candles, or a glowing Yule log. For wild creatures, there's just starlight. But Stephen, it's all one light.

And for us, that's what the season is all about. Happy Winter Solstice and merry Christmas!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#162 of 165 Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 AM

my favorite favorite christmas hymn is

The Friendly Beasts.  it is part of our Meeting for Worships christmas pageant every year

pretty much all of the "christian" holidays were taken from northern European Pagans - Christmas - celebrates the "Birth of the Son (or Sun)"  which is the celebation at winter solstice.  Easter is the "Rising of the Son" - which was another Pagan holy day because it is the vernal equinox - from here on out the days are longer. 

sorry - this was supposed to carry a qoute with it that i was responding to.  but, of course, it doesn't.

#163 of 165 Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM

i am a Quaker, i am just beginning to really explore that.  but i have always felt drawn towards pagan beliefs. luckily, my religion allows that.

there was a book recently published called the revelation of the Magi - it is basically the gospel of the three kings.  it was in a vault in the Vatican and was translated by a professor of divinity at U of Oklahoma and it tells a very pagan friendly story of early christianity and who the three kings were.

#164 of 165 Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
Can anyone tell me about traditions that honor male and female deities? And how they are conceived of separately and together? Thats where I'm pondering now. How to have an individual relationship with each that is separate from the other without marginalizing the other. If they are perfected glorified beings is it possible to conceive of them separately?

In Drawing Down the Moon there was some talk about wiccan belief of the God/Goddess as being a dichotomy--kinda like yin/yang if I understood correctly. In other words, they are different (Even opposite) and yet each is incomplete without the other, and they need to be together to create a wholeness. The mentions were brief, and perhaps I read more into them than was there, but that's what I got out of it anyway.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#165 of 165 Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post

i am a Quaker, i am just beginning to really explore that.  but i have always felt drawn towards pagan beliefs. luckily, my religion allows that.

there was a book recently published called the revelation of the Magi - it is basically the gospel of the three kings.  it was in a vault in the Vatican and was translated by a professor of divinity at U of Oklahoma and it tells a very pagan friendly story of early christianity and who the three kings were.

I would love to know more about Quakerism! My husband and I have a book that we love but we sadly don't know as much about it as we'd like. I really want to get my hands on that Magi book as well. Currently I am reading The Gnostic Gospels

I thought I would share this blog post I wrote on Christmas. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page