November Pagan Family Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I win, I win! First to start the thread, unless someone else beats me to it and we end up with two

What are y'all doing, if anything, for Thanksgiving? Y'all KNOW what I'm doing (or who )
How do you feel about setting aside one day for giving thanks? Do you practice an attitude of gratitude every day? Is Thanksgiving relevant? Is it relevant in light of Mabon being our celebration of thanks? Is it a traditional family get-together for you? What is the dynamic in your family?

Also...is it time to kick off the Yule season, or do you wait till after Thanksgiving?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#2 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Gratitude is part of my daily life, but I love Thanksgiving as it is now -- you know, separated from its questionable historic roots through cultural amnesia, something Americans are particularly good at.

We celebrate with my extended family and it's one of my favorite holidays. No TV, no football, no drama. We just get together at my parents' house, eat a ton of really good food, talk, tell jokes, the kids run around outside, maybe play some croquet or badminton, we clean up together, then go for a ramble in the woods. Pretty relaxed. Full of happy harvest hormones. Or something like that....
#3 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Happy November! From about September on we're running over here. Hmm actually thinking about it, it's moved back to August now. In August we start with Ren Fest events (WI ren fest is in Aug, MO/KS was Sept) plus when money permits we try to hit GenCon which is Aug. September we're still doing Ren Fest and I'm starting the prep for Halloween costumes. Now that Halloween is over, it's Thanksgiving and the Yule celebrations that tend to get rather extensive. We also celebrate Christmas here, and I do a lot of homemade things for that, so we call this my busy season. I love it, but always look forward to January as well!

Last night was great! We had more trick or treaters in the 4 hr assigned time block (still shaking my head over "scheduled hours" for ToT! LOL) than we had in 8-9 yrs combined in KC. DH took the kids out while I stayed home, actually got the house picked up, baked pumpkin seeds and had apple cider going on the stove and gave out candy. Both kids went out for 1 hr. Came back for a quick stop - bathroom and dinner break, back out for another hour. Came home, girl was worn out. DH and DS went BACK out for another hour. You wouldn't believe how much STUFF these kids got! Candy out the yin yang, about a dozen granola bars, bags of chips, you name it. I had my elf ears on, and DH stole the shadow idea to go with the kids. After the kids were home and in bed DH and I had a really nice night with the fireplace going and watching Brothers Grimm.

We have a fishtank. It's a little 10 gal deal, but works for what we have. There are 2 goldfish in there, nasty, dirty fish but they're the kids and easy enough to take care of. Got a plecostamus (sp?) a while back to help with algae control. Woke up this morning to a dead sucker fish. Seemed an interesting day for it.

Ok off to wash off the rest of the face paint and get the littles to dance class.
#4 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Woohoo, November!

Valérie   
#5 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 02:52 PM

Ds is celebrating November with a christmas book that plays christmas songs.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#6 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 04:01 PM

*hides head*- I let the kids watch A Christmas Story last week.

Quiet day here- think I am going to knit.

I try to be grateful everyday- it sometimes works. Our sermon last week was on being greatful, and acknowledging the gifts others give us (no material gifts) but writing a thank you note. Very timely!

As far as Thanksgiving goes-we are studying the Little House books, and also Native American culture and their story so that the kids get both perspectives. It has been very eye opening. Cobblestone magazine for kids has a great issue on both stories and we have had may talks about this.

Gotta run- poopy baby. be back later

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#7 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM

November!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#8 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Today marks the day Dh and I started dating in 2003. that is 6 years! we have been married for 6 months. he says it doesnt count anymore. what a party pooper. :> he was just teasing me.

Last night was great. i stayed home while DH took the older 2 girls out. DS stayed home too. He said it was too cold out. it is a good thing i bundled up the girls. they wore pajamas under their very thick sweats. they were bunnies so they wore white sweats and ears. they were the warmest kids out there. still came home with red cheeks and stuff. they didnt really bring home too much candy, which is cool. i have a hard time getting rid of it.

I love Thanksgiving. I dont think about the history behind it. i just go to grandmas house and get stuffed. DH gets the day off and it feels good to visit family I havent seen for awhile.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#9 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
I'm letting my boy watch Shaun the Sheep Little Sheep of Horrors. I feel guilty, but time to myself is priceless right now. (Besides, it is really funny)

Moose are cruising the neighborhood eating pumpkins. It is probably their last good meal before 6 months of just bark and twigs. DS had fun driving around the neighborhood looking for them - not a day to be walking until the pumpkins are gone - plus it is 15 degrees and I don't have any long-johns that fit my belly. I might be hitting up a discount store to buy a couple pairs of XXXL big boy's.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#10 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 PM

too busy to post right now but wanting to sub.

Maryhippie.gif

#11 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I LOVE A Christmas Story. I watch it numerous times every year, but usually not until after Thanksgiving. Bumpuses!!

DH and I had a lovely little ritual last night for our departed relatives. Also got some tarot done, since I've been really lax about stuff lately. It was nice-I've felt too busy to really get in tune with my spirituality as much as I've wanted as of late.

Hmm...it is about time for Thanksgiving, isn't it? We won't be around any family, so we'll just be doing a small turkey, etc here by ourselves. I really get into the food, but am not thrilled about the history behind the holiday.

But then it's time to get ready for YULE! I've been excited about this for months now--and we finally have a fireplace! If only it would stay cool here....

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#12 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Yule tree is up can't wait to decorate it over the coming months w/ DDs

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#13 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM

I'm sitting here at the computer nursing my little girl that turns 2 weeks old today. Had a wonderful time last night taking the kids trick or treating in our neighborhood. Lit the firepits while the neighbors ate/drank 690 jello shots... well and gave some out to the parents with their kids... and made pumpkin runes and 4 Pumpkin Abundance Lights for my neighbor friends also. The kids loved the pumpkin runes and the neighbors loved the idea of the mini pumpkin lights for a money spell. I got both "recipes" out of the Halloween book. I have a Yule one also that I will be looking through for some ideas for the kids.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving at our house. We normally have a big meal planned and invite a bunch of the single sailors that don't go home for the holidays to come and eat at our house since you aren't allowed to cook in the barracks. We've been doing this since we started dating 8 years ago and this has been our Thanksgiving tradition ever since. The Christmas holidays we save for our family time, but for Thanksgiving we adopt the "more the merrier" mentality and love it.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#14 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
WHAT?! Are you serious?

#15 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Wow I haven't gotten that far yet!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#16 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM

I've just discovered that there are some Bewitched (original series) episodes On Demand. I loved it as a kid but like it even more now!
Ds is enjoying the magic.

Oh, and I love a lot of the clothes.

#17 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
As far as Thanksgiving goes-we are studying the Little House books,
We're working our way through the entire Little House series here. We just started Little Town on the Prairie. Reading all of them has been awesome and enlightening. It makes me really sad, though, to see how much they changed such good stories for the 70s tv series. They changed TONS!

Reading those has inspired lots of conversations with eldest about all the things we have to be grateful for.

As for thanksgiving...not at all sure...we are far away from all of our relatives and haven't made many friends yet. I'm considering seeing if we can, as a family, volunteer at a local soup kitchen to make sure others have a good meal that day.

Yesterday our samhain/fall harvest festival was wonderful. We had one family over and that worked out wonderfully and we all had so much good fun and food.

Classes starting with TPOC no not sure how much I'll be around. Enjoy!

Maryhippie.gif

#18 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Ah, November. This is my favorite month. Wait. Maybe December. Or May. Crap.

Anyway, dd2 was born today last year. I'm enjoying watching her grow, she's so different from my other child.
I also taught a lesson in my UU church today, for the kid's religious education... it was about the New Year; and we made a 'witches' brew' where we mentally infused a cup of juice/soda with good thought about the new year and then mixed it all up- then drank a cup of the mixture- Great fun, and we only had one spill

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
#19 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM

pardon the confusing multiquote.. some posts are being carried over from the October thread hehe.

Quote:
It's just a jump to the left!

Annual Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing starting in 15 ish minutes!
woot! my IL's went to one of the interactive theatre shows on Halloween. They had a ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
We had a pretty good day - if you extract the screaming meltdowns by DS. A tree came down in my backyard yesterday evening in a windstorm. Amazingly, while it grew just 8 feet from my house, it fell just about perfectly parallel to the house and managed to pretty much miss the house entirely.
Wow very lucky indeed! Glad your house wasn't squashed! The great pumpkin cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Anyway, ds woke up way too early. Even by his normal standards.
Rather rude of him mine are starting to wake up absurdly early too, and end up cranky and awful by 4pm. Of course, the sun is up before 5am... and will be rising earlier until full dawn is around 415am around the solstice Time to look for some blockout curtains I do believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
What are y'all doing, if anything, for Thanksgiving? Y'all KNOW what I'm doing (or who )
How do you feel about setting aside one day for giving thanks? Do you practice an attitude of gratitude every day? Is Thanksgiving relevant? Is it relevant in light of Mabon being our celebration of thanks? Is it a traditional family get-together for you? What is the dynamic in your family?

Also...is it time to kick off the Yule season, or do you wait till after Thanksgiving?
Bwhahaha at the bolded bit! Geez we would get along so well IRL with our senses of humor hehehe. I TRY to practice having the attitude of gratitude, but am not always successful. Getting better though

I COULD do a thanksgiving dinner, but usually I don't. I may buy a turkey roast & cranberry sauce etc and celebrate along with you mamas this year though. I have a LOT to be thankful for!

I start THINKING about the holiday season about now (I placed an order with the kindy's toy fundraiser and we have the 'family' pressie on layby (a wii with a game for each of the bigger boys) and have picked out a few things for the kids (neice & nephew included) at the early learning centre (best toy store!) but no tree etc till at least 'thanksgiving' time for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Last night was great! We had more trick or treaters in the 4 hr assigned time block (still shaking my head over "scheduled hours" for ToT! LOL) than we had in 8-9 yrs combined in KC. DH took the kids out while I stayed home, actually got the house picked up, baked pumpkin seeds and had apple cider going on the stove and gave out candy.

Got a plecostamus (sp?) a while back to help with algae control. Woke up this morning to a dead sucker fish. Seemed an interesting day for it.
We had 2 lots of 3-4 tot'ers.. which is a record here really lol.

Bummer.. dead plecostamuses are

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
Today marks the day Dh and I started dating in 2003. that is 6 years! we have been married for 6 months. he says it doesnt count anymore. what a party pooper. :> he was just teasing me.
hehe we have been married since 2001, so 8.5yrs now, and we STILL 'celebrate' our first meeting anniversary of May 26 That's the day he flew into SFO and I picked him up. We'd known each other for months and months online/by phone. But that is our 'anniversary'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
WHAT?! Are you serious?
hehee I agree... I'd HATE my tree if I had to look at it from now till new years lol.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#20 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liza, I love the image of the moose eating all the jack-o-lanterns. We compost ours but it still feels wasteful of food, actually. And your pictures are adorable.

Sending good-apartment-getting vibes DoK And we have our copy of Elfland. I'm rationing it because I really need homework time.

We begin Yule holiday preparations and decorating the weekend after Remembrance Day (Nov 11). We already did Thanksgiving (Cdn), but I still haven't made the turkey carcass soup

I got a lot done on online memorials for departed relatives yesterday, which makes me happy, and we had a fun session of TOT, kids up in the night sick and nosebleeding, and not a lot of sleep.

I loved the moon last night -- hope it is as clear for the full on Monday. We've had a couple of months of cloudy full moons

Someone close by set off fireworks at midnight last night.
#21 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Got a plecostamus (sp?) a while back to help with algae control. Woke up this morning to a dead sucker fish.
You have to feed them tablets or cucumber for them to live they rarely can get enough algea from a 10 gal to live, sorry

Quote:
I'm letting my boy watch Shaun the Sheep Little Sheep of Horrors. I feel guilty, but time to myself is priceless right now. (Besides, it is really funny)
You've peaked my interest. I've never heard of that. I may have to google it

Yes I am serious. We put our decorations up Nov 1st, else what's the point in all the fuss to have them up for 3 weeks? Why bother? That's DH and my opinion anyway. Tree is up and we have LOTs of plans on how to decorate it with crafty things the girls can do over the coming months. Our neighbors think we are nuts too we just got our outside lights up too Yeah, I'm wierd, and proud of it (Carol of the Bells playing in background)

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#22 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Had an awesome Halloween last night....didnt really get a chance to do Samhain though. Being on a weekend was great...had friends and family over, a bonfire, etc.

(and this is OT and I hope its taken ok but goldfish and plecos both need way bigger than a 10g tank)

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#23 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

hehee I agree... I'd HATE my tree if I had to look at it from now till new years lol.
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where I can only deal with it for a couple of weeks. Maybe if I had a bigger space it would be different.
I still have no idea what I'm doing for a tree this year.

#24 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
(and this is OT and I hope its taken ok but goldfish and plecos both need way bigger than a 10g tank)
You'd be surprised. It all depends on the care. I've seen a functioning saltwater reef tank in 10 gal, very awesome! I'd never be able to do that. They did however have larger tanks to move fish to as they grew

#25 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Wow! First day of November and already a page of posts?

Happy birthday to all the November mamas and kiddos (I'm a november birthday too!). Hope much fun is had by all.

Thanksgiving- normally we have people over and complete some sort of insane project. But this year we're going to my MIL's and I'll be playing food police to make sure Laia stays healthy.

We had a great Halloween/Samhain (pictures on flickr and facebook) but I nearly wrecked it by not checking the right candy. Who knew that the "fun sized" candy bars have gluten even when the same type of bar in the "regular size" doesn't? Sigh. I felt like such a heel having to take away half the candy in her already cleared for consumption pile because I'd checked the wrong size. However, dd1 and dd2 were thrilled with their "fairy gifts" this morning! (they get one piece of candy for each finger, the rest goes into a bowl. The bowl goes on the window sill along with a lighted candle... the candle tells the fairies that there is an offering. In the morning the candy is gone and a fairy gift is in the bowl instead. This year I made them itty bitty necklaces with "fairy coin" beads I had left over from a belly dance costume I never got around to making).

Right now the owls are hooting outside the window, the coyotes are pretty loud, and the moon is playing peekaboo with the clouds so it's looking very Samhain ish. Gotta run (dh has Tor but hasn't eaten dinner so I need to go be his hands) but wanted to sub and try to stay caught up!

Be nonny and November all!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#26 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
You'd be surprised. It all depends on the care. I've seen a functioning saltwater reef tank in 10 gal, very awesome! I'd never be able to do that. They did however have larger tanks to move fish to as they grew
Right, but you cant have a fish that reaches 12" or more in a 10 gallon....especially ones that are as dirty as goldfish. It is fine for a fish to start in, but they grow big!

I have had some beautiful 10g setups in my time, and there were a lot of fish, but small fish. Goldfish should be in a 50g or bigger. you can defintely do a beatiful reef setup in one, but you wouldnt be putting really big fish in it.

sorry, back on topic

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#27 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
You've peaked my interest. I've never heard of that. I may have to google it
It is a claymation type video - by the same people who do Wallace and Gromit and also did the Chicken Run movie. We really like it because my 22 month old finds the Shaun stories and Wallace & Gromit stories funny but DH & I were fans long before we were parents.

DS absolutely loves Gromit - but he can't say "gr" sounds - do he calls him Dammit. Some days all dogs are Damits. Makes for some interesting looks from strangers. I think we should name a future dog "Gromit" - just pronounce it like my son: Sit Gromit. Come Gromit. No Gromit.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#28 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM

I just need to say it here so I can get my vent in the open and move on:

I HATE BRAXTON HICKS!!!!!

#29 of 641 Old 11-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Ahh November. It's actually one of my more relaxed months, and I'm looking forward to the quiet time. I'm also looking forward to Thanksgiving at my cousin's home- we have a blast together. Weather for TOT last night was so good, no wind, and not cold. That's quite a change from the freezing norm. My girls are enjoying the TOT booty too

DH and I got up early and started working on the shower ( doing some grout work) and oh boy am I tired! We worked non-stop from 9am to 3pm. And I am grateful for the time change! It'll feel like sleeping in an extra hour tomorrow morning.

Still looking for a new 'puter. I'd really like to get a MacBook, but will probably go pc laptop to spend less.

The moon has been bright in the sky since this afternoon- which reminds me to check out mooncircles and that I get to strain my master tonic tomorrow
Have a good night ladies!
#30 of 641 Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just sent a chatty email about holiday logistics to a medium-distant family member that I would like to be closer to because I think we have a lot in common. I am pretty sure that it will be ignored, questions unanswered, like my messages to this person usually are -- and it is not like this relative doesn't maintain active communication with others in our family. Sigh. I think I need to take supplements or something to toughen up that ngas bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
hehe we have been married since 2001, so 8.5yrs now, and we STILL 'celebrate' our first meeting anniversary of May 26 That's the day he flew into SFO and I picked him up. We'd known each other for months and months online/by phone. But that is our 'anniversary'

Congrats on your anniversary, Cari! Next month, dh and I are celebrating 20 years from the day we met (in a scuzzy heavy metal bar with a really bad cover band)

I have a friend with a larger house than her family needs, the kind that has a parlor with glass doors off the front door where one can meet formal company. She keeps that room set up and decorated for Christmas all year round. It is funny to visit in the summer and see the Christmas room.

My favorite tree was a potted norfolk pine I had when I first had my own place. I put little lights and origami decorations on it every season and it was just about right. I'd love to have another one; we couldn't bring it when we moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We had a great Halloween/Samhain (pictures on flickr and facebook) but I nearly wrecked it by not checking the right candy. Who knew that the "fun sized" candy bars have gluten even when the same type of bar in the "regular size" doesn't?

However, dd1 and dd2 were thrilled with their "fairy gifts" this morning! (they get one piece of candy for each finger, the rest goes into a bowl. The bowl goes on the window sill along with a lighted candle... the candle tells the fairies that there is an offering. In the morning the candy is gone and a fairy gift is in the bowl instead. This year I made them itty bitty necklaces with "fairy coin" beads I had left over from a belly dance costume I never got around to making).

ll!
That is awful about the candy. Gluten-free is so hard.

We have a Halloween Witch that comes for leftover candy, usually the Sunday morning after Halloween, but this am was too soon, so she'll probably come later this week, just as soon as I get a chance to hit the store for a bauble or two.

I like the `1 piece of candy for each finger' rule. May borrow that. The necklaces sound lovely, too.

Quote:

I HATE BRAXTON HICKS!!!!!

Grouting is a yucky job saphire, and getting it done a real accomplishment!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page