Where do babies come from? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some good personal anecdotes or reading about the spiritual realm that babies exist in during pregnancy and the transition that takes place during labor and birth. I am also interested in the role of the mother in this spiritual transition.

I once heard a priest tell a story about a three year old boy who was meeting his new baby sister for the first time. He asked his parents if he could be alone with her for a while. They agreed, but turned the baby monitor on so they could hear what he was doing. After they left the room the boy whispered to his sister, "Could you tell me where we came from? I'm begining to forget."

I have also heard that some Native Americans believe the woman in labor travels to the spiritual world to bring her child to earth.

I would love to read more about this subject but have not been able to find credible material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 PM

A couple of years there was a beautiful book available for viewing online that developed after a highly-verbal two yo girl shared with her family her recollections of her time in the womb. They decided it was a story worth sharing.

For the life of me, though, I can't remember the title. Maybe someone else knows?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabird83 View Post
I am looking for some good personal anecdotes or reading about the spiritual realm that babies exist in during pregnancy and the transition that takes place during labor and birth. I am also interested in the role of the mother in this spiritual transition.

I once heard a priest tell a story about a three year old boy who was meeting his new baby sister for the first time. He asked his parents if he could be alone with her for a while. They agreed, but turned the baby monitor on so they could hear what he was doing. After they left the room the boy whispered to his sister, "Could you tell me where we came from? I'm begining to forget."

I have also heard that some Native Americans believe the woman in labor travels to the spiritual world to bring her child to earth.

I would love to read more about this subject but have not been able to find credible material.

I love this topic! Your talk about the Native American beliefs are what I feel happened to me during the birth of my second child. When I was in labor, I was truly in another world. When he came out, I felt him move *thru* me. It was the most powerful feeling I have ever ever felt.

Just wanted to chime in. I don't have anything really to add.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 11-13-2009, 04:15 PM

There are a couple of books that I really like on this subject, both by Elisabeth Hallett. 'Soul Trek' and 'Stories of the Unborn Soul'. She puts together a bunch of mom's stories with her own speculations. They're really neat books.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm Catholic, so I believe that we're endowed with souls at the very moment of conception. So unborn babies of any gestation have exactly the same value and worth as any other person. I don't believe that an unborn baby exists in some other realm, it exists *here* inside its mother. I don't believe that birth is a "spiritual transition" I believe it's a physical one.

But I do believe that pregnancy is a very holy time, much more so than birth.

User Tag List