Kislev Jewish Mama's Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 134 Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Caroline that sounds exciting.

Jul511riv what types of names do you like?

Princessoflove - thank you for that.

Sorry haven't been around - dealing with an allergic reaction in Tehila - looks like we're finally at the end of it. No more fruit for her in the meantime - I have no idea what to feed her.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 134 Old 12-18-2009, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

tikva

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#123 of 134 Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rivka

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#124 of 134 Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM

#125 of 134 Old 01-01-2010, 06:19 PM

BS"D

Good Shabbos, Everyone!

This is going to be too late for this week, but here is my fave recipe-I make challah for my congregation every chance I get. I've done this over a hundred times, so I know it works...
Challah
21/2 T. Red Star Yeast
3/4 C. Sucanat, Florida Crystals or brown sugar, divided
31/2 C. Very warm water (100-115 degrees Farenheit)

6 large eggs, checked for bloodspots
1 C. high-quality oil, such as olive-canola
11/2 T. Sea salt

12-14 C. high-quality flour: I use King Arthur White Whole Wheat in combination with King Arthur or Stone Buhr unbleached white flour 50-50, I
have a good mix of flours. Sometimes, I use a small amount of other flours with the whole wheat portion. Too much of other flours takes away from the gluten's ability to stretch and provide structure.

1. Proof the yeast, 11/2 C. warm water, and 1/4 C. of the sugar
in a glass bowl until foamy

2.Beat the oil, eggs, salt and remaining water in a large bowl. Set aside.

3.When yeast mixture is foamy, add to egg mixture.

4. Gradually beat in flour to the liquid mixture, until too stiff to use a spoon. Use your hands, mixing until the dough forms a ball,and turn out onto a table even if it is still sticky and you have not worked all the flour in yet. Keep kneading it, and sprinkling flour on the table and working it in-I do this in 2 tablespoon increments as it gets less sticky. The dough will let you know when you have added enough flour; it becomes smooth, and will not stick totally to your index finger when you poke into it up to your second knuckle of your index finger. This will take patience=about 20 minutes of solid kneading. You want it to be slightly sticky. Moisture in the dough is very important-it allows for expansion of flour particles, and gas bubbles from the yeast. Oil the bowl, and put the dough ball in the bowl, rolling it over once or twice to coat with oil. Take challah and say the bracha, and let rise in a warm place: a preheated oven that has been allowed to cool to about 120 degrees F. is ideal. Let rise until double; punch down and form braids. This recipe makes a lot: 5 or 6 good size challot. I let them rise on large 1/2 professional baking sheet pans with parchment paper under them. Brush with eggwash, sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion seeds or a mixture, or leave them plain.
Proof until doubled, and bake at 375 degrees F. for approximately 35-40 minutes, until they are brown and sound hollow when tapped on the side.
This challah recipe is so good-I got it from the Spice and Spirit cookbook and it has never failed me when I follow it, and take challah.
I believe that it comes out so wonderfully because of the mitzvah of taking challah when I bake it, and the fact that I never use a machine to do the work for me. Good luck, enjoy the process and happy baking!!!
Good Shabbos, everyone.Yafa
#126 of 134 Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM

hey mamas, I have been totally out of the loop.  well, I am back.  we'll see when I get back here.  I actually was curious if anyone could enlighten me as to the offline group that formed maybe 5 or 6 years ago , a break a away minyan so to speak from this page, if you would be so kind as to let me know via private message, thanks holy sisters!

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#127 of 134 Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 AM

I'll answer you with an e-mail, L'Queen.  I got the message, just haven't done the answer-my-e-mail thing yet today.

Am kind of weirded out by this new format.  What particularly weirds me out is the fact that I've got an avatar.  I didn't have an avatar on here.  And what weirds me out even more is that I've got a Gilad Shalit avatar, which I actually do have on Ravelry (a knitting board) ... so how did Gilad get in my avatar here ... when I didn't even make for myself an avatar here?

Spooky.

It would be nice if Gilad could get out of Gaza as easily as he seems to have gotten into my avatar ... sigh.

Maybe we need a 2010 / תשע"א Kislev thread?

#128 of 134 Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm back too!!!  I guess smile.gif I just got an update in my email, nice to see you mamas!

#129 of 134 Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM

oh my :)I have an avatar too, I wonder if I can change it....

#130 of 134 Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Wow, new web design and craziness!  Just page marking so I rememebr to find his thread. 

also this new site edits and doesn't put my punctuation right on preview. Anyway, just subbing <3

#131 of 134 Old 11-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Shalom Jewish Mamas:

Just butting in to share Joan Nathan's recipe for challah in under an hour.  Saw it on a cooking blog, and it's in the Washington Post. (If you Google Borzoi cooks, you can find her apple noodle kugel recipe too.)  Looks very yummy... but then again, I've never met a carbohydrate I didn't love. Didn't know if I should post it in cooking (nutrition? whatever it's called) or here... but thought it was more appropriate here.  If somebody has already posted it, please forgive the duplicate.  I'm having trouble with page loads and stuff with the new board formats.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/09/AR2010110903320_2.html?sid=ST2010110903631

Actual recipe is at http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2010/11/10/pain-petri/

It's from her new cookbook.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving for those of you who will be celebrating on Thursday.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#132 of 134 Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 AM

Thanks Umsami - I will check it out :) I just noticed your sig (am not on the boards much) - I will pray for your dad for sure. My father has had multiple myeloma for a few years was doing pretty well but now it has spread & he also has plasma cell leukemia...  :(

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#133 of 134 Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, flminivanmama.  I'll keep him in my prayers too.  My Dad has CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia), but his numbers have been good up until the MRSA.  Unfortunately, the MRSA is a pain to get rid of even without the CLL--so with it, not good. 

I haven't tried the challah yet, but probably will in the next week or two.  I like anise, but haven't had it in bread before. I may leave it out and just put the toasted sesame seeds on the outside. 

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#134 of 134 Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I didn't read thru the whole thread but... has anybody mentioned the PJ Library?

Lurve, they have it in Phoenix! A free Jewish children's book once per month! http://pjlibrary.org/signup.php

And of course, all other households in PJ communities should immediately sign up. redface.gif This program is my new favorite thing. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page