Traditional Catholic Mamas -Winter 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 208 Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is so wonderful that your parish was able to send people to the march. I was watching coverage on Fox yesterday about it.
#122 of 208 Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ard - that is so incredibly exciting!! I'm thrilled for you! God is so Good!
I don't know if you remember - I've been praying for my own DH's conversion as well.

Thanks all for the prayers. Still holding my breath but getting more excited every day.

Hey just on the off chance - do any of you ladies know where to get Church-worthy maternity skirts? Loonng b/c it's cold here. I'm starting to have nightmares of showing up to Mass naked .. or worse - in sweats! (j/k)

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#123 of 208 Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
oh my gosh, I'm so excited. DH told me today that he is ready to be baptized and confirmed. This is what I've been praying and waiting for. I've so hoped we could both officially join the Church together. I can't wait to talk to the our priest about this.
Oh! That's so wonderful Dh and I converted together, it was really special

And congrats dagwood and xm!
#124 of 208 Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks teffer, xeko and CB I;m so thrilled. Just got back from mass. Our regular priest is out of town so I'm going to call this week and find out when he will be back so I can make an appointment to discuss these new turn of events.

Xeko I add prayers for your pregnancy, congratulations and your dh's conversion.

Dagwood, congratulations on your pregnancy

sorry if I missed anyone.

I almost fell asleep during mass today. I didn't get any sleep last night and was completely dazed this morning and actually still am. I'm off to watch the last playoff games ( hope I don't fall asleep yet), I'll check in later.
#125 of 208 Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I haven't been here in a year. I missed you guys though. I see from reading the thread that Teffer is back and Charbeau had her baby. Congratulations. Has anyone seen Peppermint lately?

I'll use search when I get a chance and read some of the previous threads to try and catch up with everyone. It's was a busy year for us. My husband had a knee replacement last year but he is doing well. The recession hit our area and his job industry hard and I'm not sure what is going to happen, if we will end up moving or what. Christmas was nice, in fact I confess my decorations are still up. I planned to take them down after epiphany but we got distracted with other projects so they are still up. Must do it this weekend.

I'm happy to report that dh started attending mass with me.
I am SO excited to see you back here A!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#126 of 208 Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Ard - that is so incredibly exciting!! I'm thrilled for you! God is so Good!
I don't know if you remember - I've been praying for my own DH's conversion as well.

Thanks all for the prayers. Still holding my breath but getting more excited every day.

Hey just on the off chance - do any of you ladies know where to get Church-worthy maternity skirts? Loonng b/c it's cold here. I'm starting to have nightmares of showing up to Mass naked .. or worse - in sweats! (j/k)
I think Motherhood Maternity has some. I lucked out and was given hand me downs from my mom. A black skirt never goes out of style.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#127 of 208 Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Hello everyone, so happy to hear about all the good news going around! Blessings to you all!

I have a question - I am going to be birthing at home soon, and I am looking for Bible passages, psalms, prayers, that DH and/or my friend could read to me while I am in labor.

Any suggestions?

~Catherine

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#128 of 208 Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM

moonshoes, congratulations. I'm at all loss as far as bible passages or specific prayer suggestions though.

charbeau, thanks it's nice to be back.

I called the parish office and found out father will be back on Saturday. Not sure why, but I feel so nervous about talking to him. I think I'm afraid it's all a dream or something will go wrong. I don't know.
#129 of 208 Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 PM

I just figured out how to subscribe.

I am still here. Really bad mornign sickness and 2 little ones keeps me away from the computer.
#130 of 208 Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM

Does anyone know of any resources for sacramental preparation? My daughter is making her sacraments this spring. The school (we're in Ontario where there are publicly funded Catholic schools) is doing some preparation, and the parish is supposed to be supplementing what they are doing. The pastor in charge hasn't contacted us yet about what will be happening at the church, and dh and I want to start doing some sort of prep here at home.

The school is mostly talking about feelings and doing loving things for one another. We think that she needs to have at least some idea of guilt and penance and an act of contrition, and what sin is and why it hurts God as well as ourselves and others.

I mean it is all fine and well to talk about how we shouldn't hurt someone's feelings by not playing with them, but the reality is is that she is not obligated to like and play with everyone, especially the girl who has been bullying her for the last 4 years. BUT, she is obligated to love everyone as Christ loves. Loving someone doesn't mean that you have to like them or play with them. Loving the bully means forgiving her, and NOT playing with her so that the bully is not tempted to treat my dd is a sinful manner.
#131 of 208 Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Our parish uses Preparation for Confirmation by Baltimore Catechism, although I've never used it myself.

I like This is the Faith by Canon Francis Ripley but it's not really aimed at kids that age, it is a great resource for parents though and is an excellent source for understanding sin and penance.
#132 of 208 Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM

I homeschool and use the Faith and Life series, I get them through CHC (www.chcweb.com I think). I don't really care for the activity books (they're kind of boring and overly simplistic) but the text itself is pretty good.
#133 of 208 Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I homeschool and use the Faith and Life series, I get them through CHC (www.chcweb.com I think). I don't really care for the activity books (they're kind of boring and overly simplistic) but the text itself is pretty good.
We use Faith & Life and CHC as well.

If you can find a used copy of the CHC 2nd grade lesson plans they have a LOT of CCD type program in them for sacrament prep.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#134 of 208 Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM

I have good news too - my DH has agreed that he will not pursue a vasectomy at this time. I think he may even be open to more children in the future, which I am thrilled about. So far our new baby has been very placid though at just over a week old that can sure change in the near future! I would love to share pics and the name but this forum feels too public (anyone can read I believe, even non-registered users) so if you want to see pics and know name and stats I would love to share via PM.

We still have no internet at our house so I am only able to check in very sporadically. Hopefully things will get ironed out with that in the next week or so.

Congrats to xekomaya on the baby news! Woohoo!

#135 of 208 Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
JMJ

That's wonderful news, Charbeau. I know this has been something that you have been praying for for a long time. God is so good!
#136 of 208 Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 PM

Hi ladiees!

My son is being baptized on Feb 14th and I'm searching for a christening outfit that doesn't cost $100

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look??

Thanks!
#137 of 208 Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 PM

That's great Charbeau

Wonderful life, my older two were not infants when they were baptized, but my youngest was. We couldn't afford a fancy gown so we just put her in an all white footy sleeper.

Oh, I'm pregnant. 4w4d and dh just lost his job so I'm a little stressed, but happy of course.
#138 of 208 Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Wonderful Life ~ View Post
Hi ladiees!

My son is being baptized on Feb 14th and I'm searching for a christening outfit that doesn't cost $100

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look??

Thanks!
Call thrift shops!

I see outfits all the time for $20 or less at mine - at the very most $40 for very ornate gowns.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#139 of 208 Old 02-02-2010, 01:14 AM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Oh, I'm pregnant. 4w4d and dh just lost his job so I'm a little stressed, but happy of course.
Congratulations! Prayers for your family.
#140 of 208 Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Charbeau - that is wonderful news!

CB - Congrats to you too!! We'll be in the same DDC (sorta)

Wonderful Life - How old is your son? My son was 4 months and too old for a "dress" imo (I'm very stubborn) so he wore a little white suit from toys r us of all places. We had to hem the legs at the knees but then everything else fit great.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#141 of 208 Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Cherry Bomb, praying for you!

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#142 of 208 Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM

CherryBomb - Prayers for your husband's job situation, big for the pregnancy news. Keep us posted on both!

#143 of 208 Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 AM

I'd check out department stores like this one:

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/SearchD...e&hdnOnGo=true

Hope this helps!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#144 of 208 Old 02-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks! Right now we're waiting for his former employer to respond to the unemployment request. If that comes through we'll be okay till he gets another job. I have to go on pregnancy medicaid since we can't afford COBRA, which is embarassing, but I'll live. My first two hcg checks showed my levels doubling in 48 hours, I had my third draw today and I'll get the results on Monday. If they doubled again she'll probably go ahead and schedule an u/s for a week or two from then. (We've have to rule out ecoptic pregnancy since I've had one previously). I'm excited about getting to see our little one
#145 of 208 Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM

I have a question that has been on my mind, and I thought maybe you all could help me.

I am in the process of returning to the church after 20+ years away. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, but in my late teens I left the church.

I haven't yet met with a priest nor have I gone to confession. I am really, really scared! (so any love or support you can give me on that is much appreciated) So far by "returning to the church" I've mostly just been praying, reading a lot about what the church teaches, and praying more.

Here's the question - I am married to a man who is now a pagan, raised Catholic. We've been together for 20 years and our marriage is strong and we are happy. We have a daughter. My husband has zero interest in returning to the church and isn't very happy that I am, although he tries to be supportive. He actually has a lot of anger towards the church and while he's respectful of my decisions he has repeatedly said he will not "play along".

I recently read that if you are a Catholic and your marriage wasn't in the church you are living in sin and can't get communion until you get married in the church. Is that true? My husband will probably never agree to get married in the church, he would be very against that idea. Am I just stuck, then?

Also, can I get my daughter baptized without my husband being 'involved'? He doesn't object to her being baptized, but he doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

I know I should go to a priest with these questions, but I am having a lot of trouble taking that step. Any advice on going to confession for the first time in 25 or more years?

Thank you.

flowersforyou.gif

#146 of 208 Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
JMJ

Welcome! I'll answer what I can, and maybe the more knowledgable Catholic mammas here can fill in. First, I would recommend you visit http://www.catholicscomehome.org/ It was set up for people who are exactly in your situation and will have answers to a lot of your questions. You are not stuck staying out of the Church without your husband's support.

As far as Confession is concerned, when you do go in, tell the priest that it's been a really long time since you've been to confession or church and that you might need a little help with the process. Any priest I know would just be so happy for you that you are coming back and would happily walk you through the process and try to help you feel comfortable. One thing that really helped me feel more comfortable with confession was learning that it is a sacrament of healing. A lot of times, we think about going to confession as if it is a punishment that we have to humble ourselves enough to admit to a priest who may not even know us what a bad person we've been. Instead, the Church views it as a way to heal our souls, reconciling us to God. We still have to humble ourselves but the objective is healing, not guilt. I hope that helps you as it helped me.
#147 of 208 Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post
Any advice on going to confession for the first time in 25 or more years?
Close the door!

When I returned to the Church after a years' long absence, I'd completely forgotten how to make a confession. I walked into the confessional and forgot to close the door behind me! And the elderly priest was kind of deaf! And I was nervous, which makes me get louder! I think everyone in line heard my confession, and I hope it made them feel better, because those were some wild years I was confessing.

Seriously, nothing you can say can shock a priest. Those are some strong men--they have to be. They already know we all crucified Christ; everything else is small potatoes. Afraid I don't know any answers to your other questions, but I'll say a prayer you and your husband find answers and peace.
#148 of 208 Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemaydie View Post
Close the door!
I totally did that my first confession! I was so nervous I forgot to close the door and Fr was like "uh...don't you think you should close the door?"

I'm not sure about your marriage since you were both Catholic. If Catholics get married outside the Church, the marriage is considered invalid, afaik. I wouldn't say it's sinful, but under normal circumstances you would want to have your marriage convalidated by the Church. Of course that's not easy if your husband isn't interested. Definitely something to speak with a priest about You can just call and make an appointment, just say you left the Church and you're interested in returning but have some questions. You could probably even go through RCIA even though you're already Catholic, but a lot of cradle Catholics who come back find it really helpful.

Don't hesitate to tell the priest you have been to confession in a very long time and that you're nervous and not sure how to proceed. He'll walk you through it

I'll keep you in my prayers, I'm so happy to hear you're thinking of coming home!
#149 of 208 Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post

I recently read that if you are a Catholic and your marriage wasn't in the church you are living in sin and can't get communion until you get married in the church. Is that true? My husband will probably never agree to get married in the church, he would be very against that idea. Am I just stuck, then?
As some one who is currently going through this , hubby just converted and we are waiting on two more marriage prep classes, then the Nuptial Mass yay!. So, yes, it is a sin, but only if you are not living as brother and sister (ie no marital relations). The living together is not a sin, but since having sex before marriage is a sin, and in the churches eyes you are not married, it's the sex that makes it sinful. But if you go to confession you should be able to receive. Of course, if you know you are going to be having relations again, I don't know what that does regarding the validity of your confession. I seem to recall that if you confess a sin knowing you will commit it again it's not good. I don't know the technical terms or anything like that, just something I seem to recall hearing somewhere.

Prayers for you though, and your husband, that maybe he'll be more open to the faith and at least to convalidating your marriage. In some places it's just a simple affair, you don't have to have the whole Nuptial Mass.

As for baptism of your daughter, I think it'll depend on which church/priest you go to. Some are more strict than others.

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
#150 of 208 Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 PM

That is troubling. Obviously we will have relations again, and I think not would put a lot of strain on our marriage! I am sure it's not the church's intention of breaking up our (non?) marriage, but I really can't see dh ever being open to the church or sacraments again.

flowersforyou.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page