Traditional Catholic Mamas -Winter 2010 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 208 Old 11-28-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Mamas!

Advent is upon us. Here is a new thread for our new liturgical year.

Link to the old thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1132080

To start us off - Last week, our priest challenged us to make resolutions for Advent that would lead us to purity. Are you making any resolutions? Any you want to share?

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#2 of 208 Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

From the previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post
I have been having a lot of tooth trouble during this pregnancy and with no funds to see a dentist, I have started to pray to St. Apollonia for help (patron saint of dentistry and other tooth ailments). The only thing is...I can not find a single specific prayer dedicated to her. I have looked and looked. Does anyone know of one or where I can find one? It would be really helpful. Thank you!! And Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I found one online -- "Oh Glorious Appolonia patron saint of dentistry and all those suffering from diseases of the teeth, I consecrate myself to thee, beseaching thee to number me among thy clients. Assist me by your intercession with God in my daily work and intercede with him to obtain for me a happy death. Pray that my heart like thine may be inflamed with the love of Jesus and Mary, through Christ our Lord. Amen O My God, bring me safe through temptation and strengthen me as thou didst our own patron, Appolonia, through Christ our Lord. Amen"

#3 of 208 Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Is anyone else using The Magnificat Advent Companion this year? I just started using Magnificat last month and I loved having the daily Mass readings and prayers for both morning and evening. I'm hoping the Companion will help keep me focused this Advent!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#4 of 208 Old 11-28-2009, 06:22 PM

subbing nto the new thread...

The Magnificat Advent Companion - never heard of this and am off to look at it now =)

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#5 of 208 Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
Is anyone else using The Magnificat Advent Companion this year? I just started using Magnificat last month and I loved having the daily Mass readings and prayers for both morning and evening. I'm hoping the Companion will help keep me focused this Advent!
I've got it - my first time trying to use it.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#6 of 208 Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
To start us off - Last week, our priest challenged us to make resolutions for Advent that would lead us to purity. Are you making any resolutions? Any you want to share?
purity. This is something I really struggle with on a daily - make that hourly basis. As a single mom, and them I work online answering questions that mostly deal with impure issues {I work for ChaCha}, it makes it even harder.

I really need to work on this. It's a big stumbling block for me as far as living life as a good Catholic - if I'm impure I need confession, which isn't the easiest to do as a single mom. So I end up just not going, and not going to Mass since I can't take communion because I haven't been to confession.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#7 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

frugalmama - That's really tough! Just remember the need to fulfill your Sunday obligation has nothing to do with your ability to receive Communion. Think there is a teenage girl in your parish you could have watch your kids on Saturdays during Confession? Or maybe there is another mom you could plan to meet up with every other week to give each other a hand?

P&L - Good idea - I totally should have bought the Magnificat last week! I have to see if our bookstore is open this weekend. I've never used it before but my Christian Prayer is too toxic for me to use (I'm chemically sensitive) so I've kind of given up praying the hours.

I'm giving up facebook games for Advent. I'm embarrassed to admit I even play them lol but I took them up as a distraction while nursing. I'm going to replace that time with spiritual activities, including but not limited to reading the Gospel of Matthew and then I'll start Luke at Christmas.

I don't know if anyone has an iphone or ipod touch, but there is a great app, iPieta. It has the DR bible in Latin & English, traditional & N.O liturgical calendar a huge directory of traditional prayers & novenas, Gospel readings for the day, audible Stations & Rosary, and lots of full books including the Summa, works of St. Teresa, St. John of the Cross, St. Louis Marie de Montfort, the Baltimore Catechism, etc etc.. Its just packed with good stuff. I'm going to rely on it heavily to keep me focused since I always have my phone with me.

#8 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#9 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 AM

I'm here!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#10 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
From the previous thread:

I found one online -- "Oh Glorious Appolonia patron saint of dentistry and all those suffering from diseases of the teeth, I consecrate myself to thee, beseaching thee to number me among thy clients. Assist me by your intercession with God in my daily work and intercede with him to obtain for me a happy death. Pray that my heart like thine may be inflamed with the love of Jesus and Mary, through Christ our Lord. Amen O My God, bring me safe through temptation and strengthen me as thou didst our own patron, Appolonia, through Christ our Lord. Amen"
Thank you so so much!!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#11 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM

This morning at Mass our priest said that because this is a time for preparation for the coming of Christ we should maybe do a little extra on the side (for example: extra praying, attending a weekday mass, etc...) I thought that was a good idea. I am really excited because this is the first year in a long while that my family and I have done the Advent Wreath. We made ours a couple of days ago and its all ready to be lit tonight. I have some history on the Advent Wreath, what it represents and so on to read to the family tonight. All of the prayers as well. I have def. been becoming more into my faith lately. My husband is going through RCIA classes and we are working on getting our marriage blessed in the church. Also, my son was just baptized this past September. I am really liking all the support from this thread! Lets keep it up

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#12 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just a reminder: the Novena to the Immaculate Conception starts tonight

#13 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM

subbing!

I really want to go to confession this Advent (the priest suggested that today). My challenge is...I'm terrified. I haven't been since my confirmation (umm, a million years ago). I *want* to do it, but one, I'm nervous/embarrassed just because it's been so long, and two, I do get that sneaking feeling that it's a bit voyeuristic on the part of the priest.
#14 of 208 Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
subbing!

I really want to go to confession this Advent (the priest suggested that today). My challenge is...I'm terrified. I haven't been since my confirmation (umm, a million years ago). I *want* to do it, but one, I'm nervous/embarrassed just because it's been so long, and two, I do get that sneaking feeling that it's a bit voyeuristic on the part of the priest.
You should go. It's so hard for me to go because it's either really early before the 8 am daily mass or on Saturdays when DH is busy and I can't leave the kids with him because he has to work.

Don't be embarrased. I'm sure priests hear things we'd never even imagine. And if it makes you feel better, they tend to forget what you tell them anyway. I think that's why God chose men to be priests not women. I'm always telling my priest stuff (not during confession) and I swear he never remembers anything I say to him. I hope this doesn't offend anyone. It's meant to be lighthearted.

Tonight DS and I are lighting our first Advent candle and doing the Our Father since that's about how long he'll stand still for. DH is not Catholic and does not go to church with us or anything but he's totally ok with me doing my thing. THe kids are baptised so I'm taking them to church every week this month. Sometimes I leave them with DH while I go to church.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#15 of 208 Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
subbing!

Definately go! Priests have heard it all, DH's Uncle is a priest... he said once you've been doing it 3-4 months you've heard everything, and they *can't* tell anyone. They are there to help you, most of the time they have booklets with the prayers in the confessional to help... tell him "I haven't been for ** years". They will help you out.

Our priest also asked us to give up something for Advent this year.... I am trying to decide what, or if I should add something. I was intending to pray a novena starting last night... but I only made it 4 decades before I fell asleep, guess I need to do it earlier, perhaps I will even get the kiddos in on it.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#16 of 208 Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM

Hello all,
We were also asked to make an extra effort...however since we're moving this month and staying with my folks for two weeks (they're not catholic) we may just use up our extra effort in doing our every day. Moving during Christmas is not the smartest thing we've ever done. the Magnificat is lovely. Our church gives it to those who want it. Happy Advent.
Addie

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#17 of 208 Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 PM

I still need to dig out our advent wreath from the basement and dedicate more time to prayer and reflection this advent. I try to stay in a spirit of prayer during the day - with my little ones, sometimes it's hard to sit down and have time alone, but I feel it's really important for me and I plan to work on that this advent.

Prepare the way of the Lord!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#18 of 208 Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
subbing!

I felt this way at first too, but honestly, it is SO RELIEVING! You cannot possibly say anything to the priest that he hasn't heard before and for me, knowing that I will be going to confession really helps me NOT make bad choices of things that I will have to confess. It holds me accountable.

My priest gives good, yet firm advice and direction in the confessional. It isn't just a pat on your shoulder, it's OK, kind of experience. I can tell he genuinely wants me to lead a holier life and I truly believe he is just a conduit from God. Focus on wanting to achieve sainthood, wanting to gain grace and holiness and let go of the worry of feeling exposed. It is an enriching experience, not a frightening one! It is the breaking down of self-love and pride that is the point of it all for me. Telling someone else just exactly the kind of person that I truly am brings about real change in my life - I cannot stress enough how important it is and how liberating it is to go to confession!

#19 of 208 Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the encouraging words on confession - I feel like I'm getting my courage up!

I've also resolved to really focus on increasing my patience with my family during Advent. My kids & I live with my parents. I've got quite a few stresses right now, and they tend to manifest as impatience with family.
#20 of 208 Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 PM

I picked up a copy of December's Magnificat and the Magnificat Advent supplement while I was Franciscan Univ the other day.
My oh My, but do I LOVE it! I like that I have something to do with set aside prayer time. And I LOVE having the readings for both the daily and Sunday Masses right there!

I do hope a year subscription is my stocking stuffer!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#21 of 208 Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
knowing that I will be going to confession really helps me NOT make bad choices of things that I will have to confess. It holds me accountable.
That's so true! I feel the same. It's been a few months since I've confessed, I need to get in.
#22 of 208 Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Hello everyone,

Gosh I need to get my butt to confession too. I just now got my advent candles set up, I'm sorry to say. I always find I have the best intentions to have a prayer filled day and be a 'good' Catholic but I just lack on the follow through. My heart is in the right place I need to just DO.

How do you all go about leading a prayerful day? I need some help putting one foot in front of the other.

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

#23 of 208 Old 12-05-2009, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Please pray - A mother from another list's 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with an "inoperable" brain tumor yesterday, but shortly after they found a neurosurgeon (one of the best in the country, I hear) who will attempt to remove it tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Her name is Maria - she did receive Last Rites this evening. They are a good Catholic family.

Olives - I try to give myself as many reminders as possible to get back on track. I set cellphone alarms to remind myself to pray. Right now I only have the Angelus set, but in the past I set one every 3 hours. Also having religious items out and around helps a lot. Whenever I notice one, it gets me back on track.

Charbeau - super post on Confession!

rosehips - you can do it! There are super posts all over the internet about how to make a good, short confession. Archbishop Fulton Sheen had a sample confession for a man who had been away from the Church 30 years and it only took 5 minutes. You really shouldn't worry about anything voyeuristic, either. You're listing sins in kind and number, not rehashing the gory details .

#24 of 208 Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM

xekomaya-- Praying for your friend. Often times the Dr's give the worse case senario first time out, then modify as they find out more.... they would rather do that than make the news worse... that was our experience when dealling with DD1's cancer.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#25 of 208 Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Please pray - A mother from another list's 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with an "inoperable" brain tumor yesterday, but shortly after they found a neurosurgeon (one of the best in the country, I hear) who will attempt to remove it tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Her name is Maria - she did receive Last Rites this evening. They are a good Catholic family.
This is so sad. I'll be praying!!

#26 of 208 Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the prayers! Surgery went well apparently, some slight worsening in recovery, but she could wiggle her toes and I"m sure there will be more improvements as times goes on.

So we went to a Byzantine Catholic Church today for the Divine Liturgy. It was very cool and I highly recommend the experience if you have an opportunity some time. We're going to end up going there all but one Sunday a month. I think it is the best place for our family to be, given the local options.

Happy St. Nicholas's Day! Hope you all found shoes full of goodies

#27 of 208 Old 12-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Hey everyone. Just had to share a story. I went to the noon Mass for the feast of the Immaculate Conception from work (so I didn't have the kids.) A young (well, younger than me!) woman was there with 3 kids and after Mass, I told her she was my hero because I can barely make it through with 1. She was obviously surprised and said it was just what she needed to hear that day.

So my point (and I do have one) is that I need to try harder to encourage other mothers. I think sometimes I can get competitive, and of course without the kids there I wonder if it will look like I'm "butting in" to talk to a stranger, but sometimes, we can help and support each other without knowing it.

Now, if only I knew a way to get someone over to my house at 6:30 in the morning to say the encouraging thing to me when DD won't get dressed, DS is screaming, etc. Sigh.

Trying to remember to pause, take a breath, and say a quick "Hail Mary" before screaming and yelling these days ...

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#28 of 208 Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM

I think you are right SarahSmiles - I attended Mass yesterday evening with my two children (husband is away on a business trip so no option to leave my 22 month old home) and the entire service was so frustrating for me. Our parish doesn't have a "cry room" and so there are a few chairs out in the narthex for parents with young/unruly children to use and we just sat there and didn't even try going inside the sanctuary. I mean, my son cannot help it, he has no idea what is going on, he is very busy and there are a lot of interesting things he wants to see and look at inside the church. I am 8 months pregnant and I am so tired and I really did my best trying to keep him still and happy.

I wish more people were capable of empathy when they see a young parent alone with 2+ children. It is hard! My 4 year old does a pretty good job most of the time (a few weeks ago she was really awful during Mass and I made her apologize to the priest afterwards and that *really* made an impression on her!) but DS is just not ready to attend Mass at this point.

I think we all should make a point of telling other parents how much we appreciate seeing them with their children at Mass.

In other news, we are just about ready to move. We close on the house we've been building since this summer next Thursday (walk through is tomorrow- woohoo!). This is going to be our new parish, I am SO EXCITED!

http://www.holytrinityparish.net/

#29 of 208 Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Charbeau - I have friends in your new town! Not that I'll ever get to visit them now that I'm in AK, but if it ever happens I'll send you a note. Looks totally beautiful. Congrats on the move!

It must be really hard with multiple kids at Mass. I can't imagine (but I wish I could ) Where I used to live, I was one of the only families with a child at all. Now that we've moved there are TONS of big families and its really super to see. Good reminder that maybe they can use a hand as well, if it happens to be a day I have an extra.

#30 of 208 Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Just popping in to say Hi! to everyone. I've been very busy with Advent and my pregnancy brain is out of control - I seem to forget everything!

I'm praying for all of you this Advent season and will try to get on more often.

~Catherine

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page