December Pagan Circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sick. Hoping I don't end up in the ER but I think I may (due to dehydration). Can't sit up for long.
Send healing energy, please.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM

hi everyone. it has been months and months since i came by here. i hope everyone is well. i am not even going to try and catch up. lol (ok i might try later)
i hope everyone is having a lovely time right now.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#123 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Shhhh, mama, slow down. There's no reason to think any of this has happened. He had a very upsetting phone call and said he didn't feel like talking. He could very well still just be processing the call and trying to move away from the dark space it sent him to. If you haven't heard from him by tomorrow, then I'd be concerned, but he's probably just working things through. If he's gone through addiction and worked through it, then he knows the tools to use to avoid that pitfall again, you have to trust for now that he's using them. *IF* he turns out to be in jail or injured, then deal with it once you know. Sweetie you're going to make yourself sick if you keep worrying like this every time something happens with him. Have faith in him.
I'm trying to, Sunshine. The problem is, he doesn't have the tools. Or, he has been exposed to them, but doesn't use them. They made him go to meetings when he got out of....of there, but he didn't really take to them. I asked him to go, this time, but he's so used to being Strong and Self-Reliant that he thinks he can do this on his own. Stay sober, I mean. I hope you're right, though.

He usually calls me-- since the last time he disappeared, he has made tremendous effort (and succeeded) in being accountable to me-- he calls me constantly. Last night he called twice, just to let me know he couldn't talk. In a similar situation, he'd call me this morning also, to relieve my stress and let me know he's OK, especially in light of me leaving several voicemail messages. Considering how he's been for the last 6 weeks, this is now highly unusual behavior. All I can think is, he's somewhere Not Good and is freaking that he can't call me and let me know.

But I hope you're right. Fervently, with all my heart, I hope you're right. If he did manage to make it to work today, he'd have had a break already, at 8ish, and I still haven't heard. He'd have lunch at noon. If noon comes and goes with no word, I'm really going to lose it.

I just hope his neighbor or his DD get on FB today, and are kind enough to respond to my plea.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#124 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 AM

(((Maia))) I hope everything turns out to be ok.

DOK, healing vibes coming your way. Hope the sickies go away soon and you feel better.

I keep hearing about all of this snow, and we haven't had ANY And, I'm in MI! Where is my snow?! lol It sure is cold enough for it, that's for sure.

I blew the light bulb on my sewing machine and the local hardware doesn't carry anything even similar, so off to Joanns after work today (which is where I am now, ugh). I am falling behind on all of my solstice gifts. All my kids and nieces and nephews and fur-babies are getting handmade felt stockings this year with a little something inside. I am pretty strapped for cash, but I thought this would go over well. DSD is getting a new fleece blanket that I am stoked to get working on, and my mama and MIL are getting some pretty quilted placemats. I will busy this weekend... or at least as busy as my lil monsters will allow.

I'm sure I'll be playing catch up off and on in this thread all weekend. I have so much to do. So, I hope you all have a lovely and blessed weekend!

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#125 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM

happy piano!

maia- It'll be ok. No matter what, it'll work out. Hang in there. Give him time and space to process... maybe tapping for him and for yourself too? Candles lit here.

ACK! DoK... feel better fast! Tiny sips, and more candles lit.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#126 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMommy80 View Post
I keep hearing about all of this snow, and we haven't had ANY And, I'm in MI! Where is my snow?! lol It sure is cold enough for it, that's for sure.

I blew the light bulb on my sewing machine and the local hardware doesn't carry anything even similar, so off to Joanns after work today (which is where I am now, ugh). I am falling behind on all of my solstice gifts. All my kids and nieces and nephews and fur-babies are getting handmade felt stockings this year with a little something inside. I am pretty strapped for cash, but I thought this would go over well. DSD is getting a new fleece blanket that I am stoked to get working on, and my mama and MIL are getting some pretty quilted placemats. I will busy this weekend... or at least as busy as my lil monsters will allow.
Well, it is certainly here in the mountains of the easternmost part of West Virginia (the only part that is actually east of Virginia ;-) ) It has been falling for almost 3 hours and it's accumulated nicely on all the trees. So beautiful! I got some photos but have to wait for the camera's batteries to recharge before I can upload them to my blog. I'll add a link when I do.

Those sound like fantastic solstice gifts! I'm working like a crazy woman to finish off birthday gifts. Whinnie turns 3 one week from now. And I need to finish as soon as I can because there are still solstice presents to work on. EEK! I need Hermoine's time clock thingy!

Maryhippie.gif

#127 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
maia- It'll be ok. No matter what, it'll work out. Hang in there. Give him time and space to process... maybe tapping for him and for yourself too? Candles lit here.
Thanks, Clay. It's now 11:00 or so. No word, no email, no nothing. I PM'd his brother from Facebook. I tried calling M's phone again, and now the voice mail picks up without it even ringing-- which means, usually, that it's turned off. Which means, to me, that it ran out of charge. It's not with him and it ran out of charge.

If he even did go to work, he'd try to call me at lunch time, but he hasn't got his phone. And it's out of charge. And if he did go to work, he'd have emailed me by now to let me know he's OK.

The more time that passes, the more depressed and dejected and out of hope I become Oh, mamas...I just want to hear from him. From somebody. All I want is to know he's alright. This is the worst day in the universe.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#128 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hugs and healing energy DoK.

Hugs, Maia. Horrible thing to not know where your love is -- experienced that for a day last summer when dh's phone died and he was sick on the road. That ended up ok, just a bad memory, now.

I'm sure you've thought of this but can you contact his work at all to find out if he's there?

Lighting a candle for both of you and manifesting the quickest/best outcome to have you feeling better.

Got some weather to deal with here. A driveway with two new vehicles, a blizzard, 3 foot drifts of snow, temps well below zero F and a big honking tree branch fallen on the driveway, hopefully not on the new vehicles.....the snow is beautiful in the abstract but I'm not enthusiastic about it right now.
#129 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Dok get feeling better soon!!

Well it's not been a good day at all so far. We overslept, but not by a lot. I did get some information I'd been waiting for, so that was good. We went running out the door cutting it close for time. The kids were in the jeep and the garage door was opening while I was getting ready to back out. DD unbuckled DS and I was distracted paying attention to that and didn't realize that the door hadn't opened all the way - and ran into the garage door. D'oh!! Got down the road and DH asks if I have DD's music book. Because, you know, if I don't do it then sure as hell no one else is going to take any responsibility and do it! Sigh. So we turned around and went back to get it. The recital was a huge disappointment (I posted about it in the Parenting section) to the point where we're now considering changing places on where she gets lessons. Oh and the camcorder broke on us today as well. Really, it's just not been a good day, and I'm seriously considering going back to bed! LOL!
#130 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 PM

sorry to hear about that maia. my namesake.
dok what are you sick from? anything specific?

we recently moved, and today we are rearranging stuff so we can decorate for the holidays. so the beginning of the thread, where everyone talks about their mantle decorations was perfect.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#131 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
i was so inspired i joined herbmentor, and ordered the medicine making kit. We are making elderberry syrup right now!
I am thinking about join herbmentor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
It's snowing here right now and it is lovely. I seriously doubt we'll get any accumulation. I just took the dog out and it felt to warm for snow at all, but it is so lovely to watch fall I'm not complaining.
We have had no snow yet. I was joking with my dh a few months ago and said this year, no snow. We always have snow by Thanksgiving? Odd. (don't mean this as if I caused it, just the weather is so strange)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I'm sick. Hoping I don't end up in the ER but I think I may (due to dehydration). Can't sit up for long.
Send healing energy, please.
Feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
hi everyone. it has been months and months since i came by here. i hope everyone is well. i am not even going to try and catch up. lol (ok i might try later)

h
Welcome back.

Maia, hugs mama. I agree with all the advice given. Take a deep breath, relax. It's so difficult to deal with the what if you will make yourself dizzy with the endless options. Everything will be fine.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#132 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Oh Maia... sweetie... your being upset and depressed and worried isn't going to do him any good. Focus that energy into tapping, or visualization, or meditation, or crafting a physical or ethereal safety spell for him. It's hard, but it's something I realized while my baby bro was off in Iraq... my worry/fear was just putting a big ol' blot in my life and adding suck to the universe and not doing him a bit of good. So I started visualizing him safe, and sending energy/light for him to use as needed, and crafting with the intent of safety and home coming.

Have you read the Fifth Sacred Thing? There's a sort of loa idea put forth in the book... that there is a "good reality" and a "bad reality" and that the two are sort of seperated by just a layer of ice... you can skate along in the good reality but if you are weighed down by too much negativity or focus too much on the "bad reality" just beneath your feet you might fall through. And while it is possible to bust back up through the "ice", it's harder.

I wish I lived close enough to offer physical support, but please please please try to channel your fear and worry into the "good reality". Visualize all the positive realities and work on making them so. You're a manifesting goddess so stop thinking about the "bad reality"! Brainstorm other reasons for his silence... he needs time, his cell is out of charge and he didn't notice or he put it through the wash! His computer ate his email, the internet is slow and his message is being routed strangely (our university used to have server glitches that would suddenly slow email to 1-2 days), he has written and erased a dozen messages trying to get the wording right.

I'm SURE that if something really bad HAD happened, you would have heard about it. He would have told the police, or the hospital, or whomever to notify you as a sort of "next of kin". Don't waste the energy on worry when he might need your positive support.

Hang in there. Stay in the good reality.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#133 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM

WHEW, mamas, he's found and he's ok ~wipes brow~

Now I can be pissed, I just got an IM from him and apparently he did go into work today for 4 hours. And he left his phone there.

I'm having trust issues again, though, because for one, I know he doesn't bring his phone in to work. They're not allowed. Maybe it's different because it's Saturday. Not to mention that the phone was ON and he wasn't answering. Maybe it was on silent? Plus I tried to call in the middle of the night (well, very early morning) like we always do, and he didn't answer then, either.
At any rate, I'm pissed. You don't just go missing for 17 hours and be totally unaccountable. He said "I'm sorry" on the IM and I said you oughtta be.

He went to go back and get the phone and he'll call me when he gets back.

Oh, mamas-- I don't know whether to be relieved, or pissed, or what. Or both.

#134 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 02:10 PM

you prolly are both. i would be.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#135 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Oh Maia... sweetie... your being upset and depressed and worried isn't going to do him any good. Focus that energy into tapping, or visualization, or meditation, or crafting a physical or ethereal safety spell for him. It's hard, but it's something I realized while my baby bro was off in Iraq... my worry/fear was just putting a big ol' blot in my life and adding suck to the universe and not doing him a bit of good. So I started visualizing him safe, and sending energy/light for him to use as needed, and crafting with the intent of safety and home coming.

Have you read the Fifth Sacred Thing? There's a sort of loa idea put forth in the book... that there is a "good reality" and a "bad reality" and that the two are sort of seperated by just a layer of ice... you can skate along in the good reality but if you are weighed down by too much negativity or focus too much on the "bad reality" just beneath your feet you might fall through. And while it is possible to bust back up through the "ice", it's harder.

I wish I lived close enough to offer physical support, but please please please try to channel your fear and worry into the "good reality". Visualize all the positive realities and work on making them so. You're a manifesting goddess so stop thinking about the "bad reality"! Brainstorm other reasons for his silence... he needs time, his cell is out of charge and he didn't notice or he put it through the wash! His computer ate his email, the internet is slow and his message is being routed strangely (our university used to have server glitches that would suddenly slow email to 1-2 days), he has written and erased a dozen messages trying to get the wording right.

I'm SURE that if something really bad HAD happened, you would have heard about it. He would have told the police, or the hospital, or whomever to notify you as a sort of "next of kin". Don't waste the energy on worry when he might need your positive support.

Hang in there. Stay in the good reality.
You're right, of course, Clay. As always
Yes, 5th Sacred Thing-- my ds is named for Rio Connolly. Only I couldn't find the place in the book where his name is spelled, so ds's middle name is Connelly, but still. I have had both books autographed by Starhawk for ds when he's old enough to have a coming-of-age gift, and that's when I'll give him his Baby Blessing beads, too
I had forgotten about the Good Reality and the Bad Reality. It's been ages since I read those books.
You're also right about the safety spell idea-- I will have to ask him his permission to do that, as I promised him no spells specifically involving him. He's alright with candles, though. Like those aren't "Spell Lite"

It was just...well, 17 hours with no contact, after him being that upset, having a spotty past with alcohol/drugs, promising contact and not getting it, wouldn't anyone be that zonked? Or am I just a codependent freakazoid?

What in the world shall I say to him when he finally does call me? I already gave him an inkling of an earful (interspersed with relief and "I love you") on the IM. So he knows I'm pissed-- but honestly? He seems confused as to why. Men...meh!

Anyway, mamas, thanks for hanging in there with me, through all that. I love you guys

#136 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

In addition to me being sick:
Also today- Roo's left eye suddenly started crossing in. Called doc. They told me to take him to Children's Hospital just to rule out neurological issues. Ophthalmologist thinks it's just his eyes/brain going back to the way it was before surgery. Have to watch him to make sure his eye doesn't cross and stay that way. Back to eye doc in one month for follow up.

#137 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 PM

sorry i havent posted much lately. so busy with the kiddos. they just caught a second cold and DD1 had an awful cough. i took her to the doc bc i couldnt tell how deep it went. i need to buy a stethoscope lol. the doc said she thought it was viral and wanted to give my abx for it. umm ok. no. thanks. i did find some elderberry syrup at the local health store. yeah! the kids dont like it but they dont like the cough syrup more. DH likes to give them that, but I said no unless they are up coughing all night and not sleeping. we have never tried the elderberry before so DH said he would like to see how it worked. i think he is warming up to my natural stuff. lol. for a man who wont go to the doc himself, he will take his kids at the littlest cough. i think it is sweet that he worries so much. glad that he is calming down. i pd $10 for a good size bottle. i think it was a good deal. some other brands were twice that much for less. i read the labels and they all seemed to be the same strength.
it says a tbsp 3 x day for kids and 4xday for adults.

DH got laid off again. at least this time he got a 2 months of work in. but it sucks that he got laid off right before yule. we wanted to get our parents presents this year and now cant. we did get the girls a wood kitchen to share and an individual present for each. DD2 we didnt get anything for. she wont care anyway. i am sure the grandparents will buy the baby stuff. i gave her life, what more could she need right?
DS is 14 and has 6 chin hairs. so he wants a razor and stuff. DH taught him how to shave them off. they did look funny. 6 long black hairs just sticking out his chin. but it doesnt feel fair not getting him anything else. we will have to see how much DH's last check is and when i can get Food Stamps. i hate being on them. i like it that i can get it when i need it, but it felt so good not needing it for awhile.

i was going to get my remaining tube tied this friday the 11th. i cancelled it. i just cant do it. i was even hoping i was preg again, although that would make everything harder. i dont think i am done. i feel like there is someone else waiting to come here. there was some screaming in my ear to not do it. i was nauseas all the time until i decided not to do it. so i will go get the mini pill and if DH is sure to not have anymore, well he can look into the big V. as soon as he gets more work and gets his ins back, and has the co pay etc. i really dont want to get knocked out either, and i am scared by surgery. i had a tubal preg once and had surgery for a broken jaw. i dont think i want to do it again. we cant afford any more kids. heck, we cant afford what we have and i feel like i am being irresponsible by saying i am not done.

thoughts?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#138 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Maia- I think the distance really makes all of the "what ifs" even harder. I also find that guys aren't as used to being accountable to people. I know my dh did some very stupid things in the beginning because he just didn't consider my feelings. *hugs*
Though you guys new each other earlier, remember, you are very different people now. It takes time for all of the stuff to "gel".

Lioness- We put off the big V until we were sure. I knew I was done and dh knew but we still had some lingering doubts. It has been over year now and I have no regrets. Erin was over a year when we did it.

DOK- Oh sweetie, I can't believe you are sick again!Lots of get healthy vibes coming your way.
I will be thinking of you and Roo, and his eye. *hugs*

I am beat. Thinking of everyone today!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#139 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
h
So good to see you here, again!

#140 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Hugs and good vibes to those who needs them.

Slow season at work began this week... we were hoping it would only be after the Holidays... I'm glad we bought the half veal and the half pork: will really help during those close to nothing pay months till April.

Valérie   
#141 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
gun

Lioness - glad you're back! I don't get why if the doc thought it was viral he would want to prescribe ABX?! Crazy! That elderberry syrup in some hot cocoa might help it go down for everyone involved! With a dollop of honey!!

Maia - I will be totally honest here. If I were him I would be quite angry that you were calling my neighbors and my brother to check on me. It was 17 hours and for the most part of that I understand he was sleeping, right? Don't push him away with this stuff. When I was still dating, if someone was calling me all the time it made me very unhappy that they were seeming so clingy. I am really trying to be supprotive, I know this is a new relationship and you are excited with how well everything is going, it is easy to get caught up in it. Keep your head. No amount of worrying over a man is going to make him - make the right choices, keep him from straying, keep him from lying, keep him sober, and keep him out of jail. Those are all up to him. If he cannot live up to his end of the bargain, then you need to make the decision to value yourself. I hope I don't upset by saying these things,but I know if it were someone else, you would be forthright in your advice about this.

My dream last night - I was at the doctors and was getting a check-up. Everything was OK and the doc was wrapping up, and about to walk out the door. I said to her "Excuse me..." She turned and said "yes'. I was going to ask her about fertility meds and maybe going back on them, when I then said to her "Nevermind."!!!! I guess I have come to a real decision on this after all. I just needed to play it thru in my head first I guess. I am at peace with this!

Peace- Heather
#142 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
sorry i havent posted much lately. so busy with the kiddos. they just caught a second cold and DD1 had an awful cough. i took her to the doc bc i couldnt tell how deep it went. i need to buy a stethoscope lol. the doc said she thought it was viral and wanted to give my abx for it. umm ok. no. thanks. i did find some elderberry syrup at the local health store.
<snip>
i was going to get my remaining tube tied this friday the 11th. i cancelled it. i just cant do it. i was even hoping i was preg again, although that would make everything harder. i dont think i am done. i feel like there is someone else waiting to come here. there was some screaming in my ear to not do it. i was nauseas all the time until i decided not to do it. so i will go get the mini pill and if DH is sure to not have anymore, well he can look into the big V. as soon as he gets more work and gets his ins back, and has the co pay etc. i really dont want to get knocked out either, and i am scared by surgery. i had a tubal preg once and had surgery for a broken jaw. i dont think i want to do it again. we cant afford any more kids. heck, we cant afford what we have and i feel like i am being irresponsible by saying i am not done.

thoughts?
Yay for elderberry! Boo to a doc that would recommend Rx for a viral infection.

My dh had the big V when our youngest was about 7 months old. At the time and for a while after it seemed good but round about the time she turned 2 I started really, really wishing he hadn't. And then since he never confirmed sterility I kept hoping that maybe the doc didn't do it right and we'd get pg anyway. These days I'm mostly ok with being done...but I have my baby fever moments too, and they are strong.

IMHO it doesn't have to be about the 'responsible' thing. It should feel right to you or you shouldn't go that direction. Or you'll regret it and it will always be there.

Maryhippie.gif

#143 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 PM

I need some suggestionsm ladies.

My husband is Hare Krishna and I am Pagan. Now there is no problem with this and we both love to celebrate each others celebrations. Both of our paths are kind of the same. I say he is a secret Pagan, haha. But I want to know about your Winter Solstice celebrations. I have no clue where to start.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#144 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Maia- I think it's totally normal to be upset, and happy, and worried, and thankful and all that rolled into one. The question to ask is how much of that needs to be shared right now. What would happen if you just said you were worried sick, you love him so much/this is all so new that you really really need a daily contact and let it go at that? Distance relationships are doubly hard because so much does happen at arms length and small things become huge... DH and I spent two years more or less apart and we had some HUGE fights during that time. Not when were were together, but when we were apart and signals got mixed. We grew a lot, but it was seriously tough.

I'm so glad he is ok, and that you are ok. But I do agree with gun a bit... you want him to feel loved and cared for, not like he's being held accountable. If that makes sense?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lioness- I'm so sorry! What crummy timing for a layoff (not that there's good timing but still). Could the kiddos make something for the grandparents? Today was my dad's birthday and the girls made him bookmarks (he likes to read). There's a thread in frugality (I think, maybe it's in Crafts?) with all sorts of free/inexpensive gift ideas. Maybe something there would be doable?

For the big V... Dh had planned on going in a year or so ago and we decided to wait a bit. Torin is the result of that wait. We've decided he'll go in when Tor is about a year. Till then I'll probably go on Mirena. I'm assuming it's nation wide, but the local Planned Parenthood takes income into account when charging for contraception services. For a few years I always had my annual and whatnot done through PP since it cost less than my insurance co-pay. I know iuds are iffy with prolapse, but maybe they'd have an idea or two for you? And once you have insurance again perhaps look into Essure... it's got the same result as a tubal but it's an in office type procedure and it doesn't require general anesthesia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We didn't get a tree today and DH forgot to bring home the pattern for the stockings so I'm a bit at loose ends today. We did spend a few hours with my parents (which is challenging) but it went better than I thought it would. Oh, and we saw Santa! Two Santas actually... one at walmart and one at home despot. The girls thought this was pretty neat.

And at my parent's dd1 explained all about Mother Holle and Nicholas (Mother Holle is our "solstice goddess") and my mom didn't blow up. A true holiday miracle!

#145 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Tulsi- what sort of celebrations? I mean, what sort of details are you looking for? Do you want ideas for crafting your own celebration or just a general "this is what I do" type overview?

There's a Yule camp thread around here somewhere!

#146 of 958 Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Tulsi- what sort of celebrations? I mean, what sort of details are you looking for? Do you want ideas for crafting your own celebration or just a general "this is what I do" type overview?

There's a Yule camp thread around here somewhere!
Well just in general. I want to look into some lore and traditions (more on the celtic side). I know about it being the birth of the sun king, but I want some fun traditions and stories to start learning and teaching my daughter.

I will look for the yule thread. Thanks.

#147 of 958 Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 AM

You'll love the camp threads! This one is the most recent solstice/yule camp. But I'm pretty sure there was a lot of discussion about holidays/holy days in the pagan summer camp a year ago.

In our family we celebrate Yule with Mother Holle, Christmas with St. Nicholas, and 12th Night with la Befana. We have a solstice calendar to count down the nights to the sun's rebirth and each week we do some sort of holiday activity (finding and decorating the tree, making cookies and fruitcakes, caroling, packing holiday helper boxes, volunteering at soup kitchens or women's shelters, making and putting our bird feeders and salt licks, hosting a winter spiral, etc). We have gifts under the tree from Mother Holle, then stockings from Nicholaus, then food treats in our slippers from la befana... which spreads thiungs out over a few weeks and makes life less gimmee/hectic.

For stories I generally tell a version of the Mother Holle tale (our version generally ending with the little girl bringing the snow, the moral being something along the lines of volunteering without thought of gain leading to getting what it was you initially were looking for), a version of the traditional Nicholas story (again with the giving in secret aspect emphasized more than the getting end of the equation), and a variation of the befana story (about how it's ok to change your mind and putting the spiritual before the mundane).

DH is a mystical christian, I describe myself as an ecclectic kitchenwitch with Reclaiming roots. However we were both raised catholic (irish-italian catholics at that!) so many of our traditions reflect those cultures. We've found that a blend of Irish, Norse, and Italian traditions work for our family and Mother Holle is sort of my winter season "go to" goddess while Brigid is my warm season patroness.

#148 of 958 Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 AM

wow - i just can't keep up here!

It's been a whirlwind of a week! We got our new van, and i set aside money to move from our current living arrangements (totally not good/cool - esp not for the kids). Well I finally found an apt that a) we can afford and b) is big enough but not overpriced and c) 3 blocks from work (WOOT!)... but the landlord who listed the place for rent hasn't called or emailed back - WHY OH WHY!! Things are just starting to look up and we have hit a road block if you will. I was hoping to be moved before all the holidays hit - we've been stuck for 5 months now - enough is enough.

Today was my daughters birthday party at the bowling ally - and once again 1/2 the kids invited didn't show up. It makes me so sad for her - this happens every year... with her birthday happening just after Thanksgiving and just before Christmas - its like everyone is "too busy" to remember my (not so little anyone!) little girl.

I am grateful/thankful that we are still all healthy, and we have a vehicle again! no more leaving for work an hour early to walk there in the dark hoping a car doesn't hit me (and before we had any real snow fall - so odd for NY - no real snow yet here!)

I wish i had time to read everyone else's posts... but I'm exhausted... so I'll leave with this:

For all of you sick/ill... for a speedy recovery
For all of you struggling... a i light for you
For everyone enjoying and celebrating (whatever you have to celebrate!)...
For everyone new...

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#149 of 958 Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 AM

trying to catch up after a long MDC hiatus (more or less).... dh is TORTURING me with online crap of the Star Wars holiday special (from 1978)... betcha didn't know they made a "holiday special"... don't waste your time searching for it because it is TERRIBLE - apparently the top (i.e., worst) of the "Top 100 dumbest events in TV history".

anyhoo... mantle - i scored at Black Friday shopping (we go the mall near the in-laws so that we all get break from each other)... found a red and a green santa. or as ds puts it - a red Green Man and a green Green Man. so they, along with a few other "vintage" (i.e., from my youth) winter-y knick-knacks are on the mantle. [it's scary to think that, according to etsy, things from my own youth are now classified as vintage]

and i had an "Ah-Ha!" moment today. my mom had dumped a bunch of winter-y needlepoint kits and some winter-y quilt panel blocks (but not enough for a whole quilt) and i was perplexed with finishing them off and cleaning out my stash. i found myself driving to the new quilting store (ha - just about made an a propos typo by typing "guilting store" - boy could i have dropped a tonne of cash there!)... so i decided to make cards out of these things! 3 of the pieces are silk ribbon embroidery and i've already converted 2 of them. not to brag, but they turned out quite nicely. (MUST REMEMBER TO PHOTO-DOCUMENT). ds doesn't want me to give them away.

i did a cross-stitch sun thing in the summer and finally finished it off. ds was adamant that we keep that one (which i had intended to do). he insisted that it go in his room (Which was not what i had originally intended) - so it is now by his bed so he can say good night to the sun at bedtime.

btw, we got our hands on Plourde' "winter waits" book and it totally fits the dynamic between dh and ds that ds loves it... we also got Starhawk's "The Last Wild Witch" - another favorite now in our house. the Berenstain Bears also have "The Christmas Tree" which is actually a good story if you're a Bears fan.

ok... back to trying to keep up...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#150 of 958 Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 AM

I saw this on my google travels. I was looking up The Sun King

http://www.jamesclairlewis.com/pages.../solstice.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page