Christianity and marijuana use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mods if you need to delete this thread, I understand. I am curious as to the christian belief and how it pertains to using marijuana(not medicinally). I am trying to witness to a christian friend of mine and need wisdom. Thank you

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#2 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is nothing in the scriptures that forbids the use of marijuana.

The only two issues I have is that we are forbidden from becoming intoxicated/drunk and we are called to be under submission to civil authorities provided they are not asking us to sin.
#3 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM

I agree with the pp.

The biggest issue for me is it's against the law for me to do it. For just recreational use I feel it is wrong to break the law without valid reason. I would be concerned about an attitude in myself that justified breaking a law for personal pleasure. Now if we are talking breaking a speeding law to rush a child to an ER etc I would feel differently but breaking a law because I don't agree with the law or just because I want to would be wrong to me.
#4 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM

for starters there is the obvious disregard for the law. and the scriptures that talk about not being drunk. Also while all things are permissible not all things are helpful or edifying. How is her use of pot building up those around her? is she spenging money time that could be better spent serving Christ?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
for starters there is the obvious disregard for the law. and the scriptures that talk about not being drunk. Also while all things are permissible not all things are helpful or edifying. How is her use of pot building up those around her? is she spenging money time that could be better spent serving Christ?
I completely agree with this statement

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#6 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Let me start by saying that I'm not anti-pot; I have many friends who indulge, and I've enjoyed it, too.

That being said, I can't enjoy it with a good conscience any more because I don't know exactly where it came from. If you grow it yourself or have a friend grow it, that's great. However, when I think about illegal drugs I think about the millions of people in third world countries whose lives have been ruined to grow/produce/harvest/package, etc. --- land raped to grow the plants, chemicals applied to support their growth (often poisoning the groundwater, etc. for miles and miles around), terroristic/heinous action toward locals in the areas to maintain authority/territory, etc., etc., etc.

If you're growing it yourself I don't have a huge problem with it, but if you're indirectly supporting the terroristas in South America or the Taliban in Afghanistan or ... pick a country and its drug export & you'll find violence somewhere along the link to the U.S. ---- it's that that I have a problem with. Giving money to people who openly do violence against other people - as a Christian, that is what my issue is.

I understand that violence and environmental damage are found elsewhere in many, many other supply chains around the world for so many of the things we buy each day - I know that.

The violence toward people and the earth seems to be much more pronounced when it comes to illegal drugs, though. As a Christian, I cannot support that.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#7 of 21 Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
However, when I think about illegal drugs I think about the millions of people in third world countries whose lives have been ruined to grow/produce/harvest/package, etc. --- land raped to grow the plants, chemicals applied to support their growth (often poisoning the groundwater, etc. for miles and miles around), terroristic/heinous action toward locals in the areas to maintain authority/territory, etc., etc., etc.
This is what got my concience every time I had a tote. I was a BIG pothead before becoming a christian and relapsed after a difficult time a few years back and I cant do it in good concience. There is NO way I can justify its use. Its illegal in some countries to even grow it I think (In the UK it is, I believe), so there is no way to justify it for me imho.

The problem with it is that, no matter what others say about it, it is an addictive substance. You dont go thru physical withdrawl, the shakes or suffer violent withdrawl symptoms but it is a powerful substance that can really attack a persons mentality, seriously. I still think I suffer memory loss and I even find myself craving it from time to time. Its so rampant in our culture that its very easy to get hold of. I have a LOT of experience with it, a close family member used it and I think still struggles with craving it.

I didnt always have this attitude towards it. I used to think it should be legal, on one hand I no longer feel that way, otoh, Im not sure. As far as its use is concerned tho, I would consider it to have the ability to create what some would call a spiritual stronghold in a person's life. It has a spiritually blinding effect, that the user doesnt often see. So my advice to you would be to approach this and your friend prayerfully on this subject. Let the Lord guide you as to how you should approach her. If you concience is telling you you should confront her on the issue, by all means do so (it would be irresponsible not to imho). However do so prayerfully, knowing that the Holy Spirit is the one doing the work and using you to be a voice.
#8 of 21 Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM

I would tend to agree with the concerns noted above - intoxication, legality, and supporting a morally corrupt criminal infrastructure. And with pot, unlike alcohol, the whole point is really the intoxication. Also, growing it oneself put one at real risk from authorities - you could lose your house and kids, for example.

Then there is the health angle, if a person is smoking in any amount, it is very bad for you. As well, there is some research that suggests that people who have a tendency toward certain mental health disorders can be triggered by smoking pot.

My family has a lot of drug problems too, and while lots of people seem to smoke occasionally without a problem, I would not tend to agree with some advocates that pot is harmless and not addictive. I think it can have real psychological affects and bring on real personality change. And people do get trapped into using in an addictive way, whatever the physiological properties.

And as some pointed out above - as Christians we are responsible to God for our leisure time - it doesn't really belong to us.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#9 of 21 Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Mama View Post
Mods if you need to delete this thread, I understand. I am curious as to the christian belief and how it pertains to using marijuana(not medicinally). I am trying to witness to a christian friend of mine and need wisdom. Thank you
Can you be a little more specific? What are you trying to witness to another believer? What do you need wisdom about?

Regardless of what you learn hear, I just want to remind you that God will give you generous wisdom when you ask God.
#10 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
Regardless of what you learn hear, I just want to remind you that God will give you generous wisdom when you ask God.
yea yea!

I have had the same thing on my mind lately and have found, repeatedly in the New Testament statements about being sober and clear-minded so to be capable of discerning the spirit of things, whether a spirit from God or a spirit of falsehood.
But I am also finding a lot to make me question whether I should be pushing the subject, because I don't think he is open to hearing it right now, and I don't want to make him feel like he is not growing in the Lord.
#11 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM

There are religions in the world who actually use marijuana and other plant based "drugs" to facilitate spiritual experiences. It seems to me that pot does not have to be stupifying if one uses it in a respectful manner. I know plently of Christians who use it sacrimentally. Look at the Rastafarians. They are Christians. I guess you can't really paint all Christians with a broad brush. Also I think it is pure propoganda to say that mj use supports terrorism. Most is grown in the US.

As the the legality issue, there are places where it is certainly not illegal. Mostly legal for medical purposes, but legal nontheless. This person might be recieving medical benifit from using marijuana. If you look at the side effects of any number of legal pharmeceuticals, you will see that many have worse side effects and can be just as intoxicating. Yet you probably wouldn't feel the need to judge someone for using them. It is hard to say how someone is benifiting from a substance, but it could have a spiritual element as well. I am not a christian, but I do believe mindful usage can bring one closer to god.

I have a friend (a christian) who believes that the burning bush of Moses was mj and that the "annointing" spoken of in the New Testament was actually hash oil. This may seem a bit odd to some, but he has some pretty good info to back it up.
#12 of 21 Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 AM

Just keep feeding your friend with the nourishment in the Word. Pray with him and contact the Lord with him. Let the Lord touch him about his behaviors in the Lord's perfect time. There is a verse that talks about the washing of the water in the Word.

When I was a new believer, I was afraid that I wasn't good enough to be around Christians. My friend told me that the Lord is making His home in my heart (Eph 3?). As you read the Word the Lord will move in more and more into my heart. God will rearrange the furniture and take out the trash as need be. She told me not to worry about my behavior. Isn't that sweet? That's why I stuck around. She was so right. Within a month the Lord threw out a lot of trash! It was really no effort on my part.

Trying to convince someone to improve their behavior is like laying the law down on them and can backfire big time. Can't remember where the verse is, maybe Galatians, that says the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. So, if you contact the Lord with your friend, you get the Spirit and you get the divine life! The divine life takes care of all things, including smoking pot. Hallelujah! Just be a companion in the Lord.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#13 of 21 Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 AM

^Great advice! I don't believe we are obligated to follow corrupt law created to oppress minority groups and bolster the taxed sales of tobacco & alcohol, and I consider those two to be faaar more dangerous and morally suspect substances, however the PPs have some valid points.

However, I will say, growing up in a 'growing culture', the South America Cartel issue is a MEGA stretch! I would wager MOST of what a regular, 1/2 way discerning user comes into contact with is produced domestically without attendant beheadings, etc. I have seen the LAWS around it act as factors in women's oppression (women stuck in DV situations because of the illegality of their profession/lifestyle), but hardly crime in the developing world. Just think about the complexities of importation, the abundance of legal growing supply stores, it really isn't accurate.

Probably the OP had the best advice: 'All Have Sinned and Fall Short' just keep it positive, andnot inflenced by the prejudices of society.
#14 of 21 Old 02-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
That being said, I can't enjoy it with a good conscience any more because I don't know exactly where it came from. If you grow it yourself or have a friend grow it, that's great. However, when I think about illegal drugs I think about the millions of people in third world countries whose lives have been ruined to grow/produce/harvest/package, etc. --- land raped to grow the plants, chemicals applied to support their growth (often poisoning the groundwater, etc. for miles and miles around), terroristic/heinous action toward locals in the areas to maintain authority/territory, etc., etc., etc.
What was said above is my main problem with it. And the fact that it is illegal in this country. I find it very hard to legitimize the use of it, unless medicinally.

And I am not too familiar with the Bible, but I have always been taught that ANYTHING in excess is a sin. So with that said, I think there are too many Cons and not enough Pros.

Pray with your friend and try and help guide her in the right direction. Either way I wish you Good luck

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#15 of 21 Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM

By the above logic one would never have surgery or take anything but 100% synthetic pain meds. The most destructive agricultural drug industry is Opium, and a lot of it is grown for 'legit' uses. The food industry is also real destructive. As a 'weed' MJ is not hard to grow and excess inputs would be an extreme waste of $$$.

Also FYI, when the Taliban took control in Afghanistan, they CUT Opium production. We invaded the next year, we are extremely dependant as a nation on that industry, and not just on the street, Opium is truly the backbone of our medical system. I think some of the info in this thread is very inaccurate.

ETA: Also not accurate to say it is 'illegal in this country', many of our mamas live in the 11 states where it IS legal the current admin is not prosecuting those in compliance with state law, and it is decriminalized in even more states. Some of us drink Raw Milk in states where that is not legal. Are we violating Biblical priciples?

Plus 'legal in the US' is no litmus test for a Christian, smoking tobacco around children is completely legal, yet not right.
#16 of 21 Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
Some of us drink Raw Milk in states where that is not legal. Are we violating Biblical priciples?

Plus 'legal in the US' is no litmus test for a Christian, smoking tobacco around children is completely legal, yet not right.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was only illegal to sell raw milk, not to consume it. I think the point the PP was trying to make is that we are called to follow secular laws, as long as they are not in conflict with religious laws. So you should buy alcohol if you are underage, but just because tobacco is legal, does not mean you should smoke it.

OP, I think you should pray and follow G-d's guidance. It may be that G-d is working with your friend in other areas of life. I do think that if asked, you should be able to explain why you do not feel smoking pot is right. I also think you should have firm reasons. If pot was legalized tomorrow, would you feel it was OK for Christians to smoke? (rhetorical). The reason I mention it is that some Christians beleive you should completely abstain from alcohol, while others believe alcohol is OK in moderation. I have always hated it when people told me something was wrong, but could not explain how they came to that conclusion.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#17 of 21 Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heyla all! Just a quick reminder that Spirituality is a "support only" forum dedicated to discussions of a spiritual nature:

Quote:
The Spirituality board is a forum of support, respectful requests of information and sharing of faith and practice. To uphold this purpose the board will not host discussions of debate or criticism. Disagreements about spiritual issues should be set aside out of respect for the diversity and varying interpretations and beliefs that we hold as a community.

While we will not restrict discussions to persons of the faith being discussed, we will be active in discouraging an individual from posting for the purpose of disagreement, with no interest in practicing the faith or belief in discussion, or to prove a faith or a belief to be wrong, misguided, or not based on fact. Proselytizing, to convert to a faith or from one, will not be permitted. Controversial subjects of discussion related to spiritual and religious beliefs and origins can be found elsewhere on the internet and we invite you to seek out other sites for that purpose.
Discussions about the impact of conventional farming, laws surrounding medical or social issues, the impact of bio-pharm on social networks or health, or the general pros/cons of marijuana use can be had elsewhere on MDC or the web. Please help us keep this thread on topic by addressing the question asked by the OP (biblical sources applicable to witnessing to a friend about marijuana use).

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact a moderator!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#18 of 21 Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM

More thoughts:
I would not touch the issue of smoking pot right now, or maybe even never and I'll tell you why. (FYI former daily user for four years plus other drugs/alcohol)

First, has he had a genuine salvation experience where HE prayed to receive the Lord Jesus? If he has then great just keep reading the Bible and touching the Lord in a real way with him. If he hasn't then I would (when he has a clear mind) read John 1:12,13 with him and encourage him to pray.

John 1:12,13
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the authority to become children of God, to those who believe into His name,
Who were begotten not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

All genuine Christians have been born again of God. We all have had a spiritual birth to receive the divine life into our spirit. This birth from God gives us His divine life which is the eternal life. It is easy to get this divine life of God into you if you ask for it. It is a free gift to ANY ONE who wants it. Once you receive the Lord Jesus into you, you become a child of God and then you have the life of God. You have all of the DNA of God in your being. God becomes your real Father and you become his real child. Once you are born, you need to EAT the Word in order to grow. Just like a little baby has to drink milk to grow, Peter says the word is like milk.

1 Peter 2:2,3
As newborn babes, long for the guileless milk of the word in order that by it you may grow unto salvation,
If you have tasted that the Lord is good.

Yes, God is good for food.

If you remember, in the gospels it was Peter who denied the Lord Jesus three times to the little servant girl. What is worse in your book? Smoking pot or denying the Lord Jesus three times? Even Peter was forgiven and went on to write epistles which made it into the Holy Bible.

As your friend grows in the Lord, the Lord will have a way to shine in him to drop the pot smoking. Just make sure he's got the Lord in him without offending him.

Yes, God is good for food! Just taste and See!

#19 of 21 Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM

unless, of course, you feel the Lord Himself is telling you to say something.

I present to you the thirsty woman at the well in John 4. I will paraphrase instead of pasting the whole chapter.

The Lord was thirsty and asked a Samaritan (not Jewish, which was unheard of) women for a drink from the well. The woman was a little shocked that a Jew was having anything to do with her. Here are the verses:

9 The Samaritan woman then said to Him, How is it that You, being a Jew, ask for a drink from me, who am a Samaritan woman? a(For Jews have no dealings with 1Samaritans.)

10 Jesus answered and said to her, If you knew the gift of God and who it is who says to you, Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.

11 The woman said to Him, Sir, You have no bucket, and the well is deep; where then do You get this living water?

12 Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank of it himself, as well as his sons and his cattle?

13 Jesus answered and said to her, Everyone who drinks of this water shall thirst again,

14 But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall by no means thirst forever; but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water gushing up into eternal life.

Then the Lord tells her of her sins rather than condemning her. What is worse in your book? Having 5 husbands and the one you have now is not your husband, or pot smoking? Continue verses:

15 The woman said to Him, Sir, give me this water so that I will not thirst nor come here to draw.

16 He said to her, Go, call your husband and come here.

17 The woman answered and said, I do not have a husband. Jesus said to her, You have well said, I do not have a husband,

18 For you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly.

All people are thirsty. They are thirsty for Christ, but don't know it. We all drink of things other than Christ. We have all forms of entertainment other than Christ. The things we drink of on this earth leave us empty and thirsty. They can only satisfy for a little while. They are temporary satisfactions of pleasure. The buzz wears off, if ya know what I mean.

However, people can drink of 'good' things too. For example, education. Know anyone who is getting degree after degree after degree. That is one thirsty person. Don't get me wrong. I think all people should get the highest level of education. However, if it replaces Christ then that person is still left feeling thirsty. Only the living water, Christ, can satisfy man's thirst. So we need to drink Christ! Call on His name and take a BIG DRINK of the living water, the eternal water. This living water is not temporary, it is ETERNAL! That is why it is so satisfying!

So, it looks something like this:

Lord Jesus, gulp, Lorrrrd Jeeesuuus, gulp, Loooorrrrrd Jeeeesuuuuus, gulp, OH LOOOORRRRD JEEEEESUUUUUS gulp, gulp! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUS! Aaaah! My thirst is quenched, how about yours?

#20 of 21 Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM

I'm a Christian, and I see nothing wrong with occasionally smoking pot, IF you are not intoxicated to the point of being "Drunk" which I know few people who are that affected by smoking pot.

Also, no one has mentioned the amazing medical uses, I think there is a major problem in our country that we aren't (in many states) using something so natural for its amazing uses.

if you look at the history as to why pot was made illegal in the first place it was very politically based. Hemp hurt the paper industry in the US, the paper industry was big money. They didn't make it illegal because they were worried about people's health....

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#21 of 21 Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 PM

i agree with sk8boarder. there are a lot of really good things that maurijauna does for you. and it is really politically driven prohibition. if you have a problem with smoking pot cause it fnds terrorists in other countries, than you should really have a problem with the LARGE number of non-violent offenders who are locked up for YEARS for it.
if you are truly interested in how our body reacts to MJ, then you should read michael pollan's book the botany of desire. it is fascinating. our body actually makes its own cannibinoids. so....smoking it isn;t really doing anything that our body isn't set up to handle. it is very interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page