Welcome to Teves, Jewish Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No catchy title this time, but it's a new month...

Have a happy end of Chanuka!
#2 of 69 Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM

I'm here. Dh is takig my computer i today - sice it's ot workig right. LOL Do't kow whe I'll have it back. Ca you guess oe of the thigs that's wrog with it?

I thik Tehila's ok. I gave her a bowl of applesauce o Tuesday to start off her luch. Withi 15 miutes, she was covered with hives. We did beadryl 5 times over the course of the rest of that day, overight, ad the ext morig. THe she had a craial sacral treatmet which made her feel better (her stomache was also upset addig to the geeral feelig of malaise). Late i the eveig of that secod day she broke out ii hives agai. So I gave her D-hist mixed i her yoghurt with a 20 mi iterval. She fell asleep i my arms ad slept all ight. WHat a relief! She's fie ow.

Dh is allergic to apples as well as other fruit. This was ot the firs time I'd give her apples - she'd eve eate applesauce the day before. I had just bee discussig switchig to applesauce i my bakig whe this happeed. Guess I wo't be afterall.

have a good Shabbos!

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#3 of 69 Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can't beleive it's Teves already!

Actually, I can't beleive that, as we lit the 7 candles last night, I forgot to wish DD1 a happy birthday. It's her Hebrew birthday today!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 69 Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Our big housewarming/mezuzah hanging party is tomorrow night.... and it's supposed to snow snow snow all day tomorrow. We'll see how that goes, but I'd really like some snow. Just seems like we should have some on the ground if it's going to hover around freezing here.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#5 of 69 Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Rivka- what else was in the applesauce? Was it sweetened with corn syrup, or did it have vitamin C added to it? Added vitamin C is often corn-derived as well. She may have a problem with corn, not apples.

Also, is it possible she ate something "non food" before she had the applesauce? Is she the type of kid to eat crayons or paper?

#6 of 69 Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM

yikes on the applesause!

Names I like...unusual...combined words...I think I'm specifically looking for a middle that does NOT begin with a resh. Something funky.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#7 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Enjoying the snow in the mountains and time with extended family. I keep forgetting how strongly I react to sugar though.
Rick you sound like you have a headcold. hope your n gets fixed

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#8 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Snow-envy here.

And, on the night that we have finally finally declared DD#2 to be nit-free, we have found one more person in the house who is honoring the now-in-process build-up to z'man kheiruteinu (aka Pesakh) by having kinim (aka lice) ...

... me.

Sigh.

So, does anyone want to tell me the halakha about going to the mikvah when you've got kinim? Just to save me the call to the local rabbanut ... double sigh.
#9 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM

uhg to applesauce, sugar, and lice

we have snow here!

sme - how was the party?

I am no help for names. I'm 38 weeks (B'H) and we have no clue what we're naming this kid. Question: the name we both like and can both agree upon happens to be DHs first Hebrew name, (though we'd use the anglo version except for the nickname which would be the Hebrew) he NEVER goes by it, save shul and frankly, he's not called up for aliyah all that often so is it really a big deal?

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#10 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 PM

I have no idea merpk. The first time I got lice I was too young to go to the mikeveh (kindergarten) and the next time I was already divorced (I got it from my kids.)

#11 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
uhg to applesauce, sugar, and lice

we have snow here!

sme - how was the party?

I am no help for names. I'm 38 weeks (B'H) and we have no clue what we're naming this kid. Question: the name we both like and can both agree upon happens to be DHs first Hebrew name, (though we'd use the anglo version except for the nickname which would be the Hebrew) he NEVER goes by it, save shul and frankly, he's not called up for aliyah all that often so is it really a big deal?

I personally wouldn't use it. It would make his name, say Moshe ben Moshe or something which would be something you would use when, G-d Forbid, the father was deceased. It's just a bit too creepy to me even though I have no idea if this is minhag or a halachic problem. B'sha'ah tova (have a great and easy birth at the right and perfect time).

#12 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM

hrm. I never thought about it that way. Thanks, j.R.
pssst: *I* really like the name you suggested in my DDC, but DH isn't keen.

#13 of 69 Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Could you possibly use the Anglo name you agree on, but use a different Hebrew name? Like, if you want to name him Benjamin and your DH's Hebrew name is Benyamin, name DS Benjamin in English and Baruch in Hebrew. There are enough Hebrew names that sound similar to one another that you can probably find a "close enough" Hebrew name to the English name you like.

#14 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Names I like...unusual...combined words...I think I'm specifically looking for a middle that does NOT begin with a resh. Something funky.

So what letter do you want it to start with?
#15 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM

no preference. Just don't want a middle name with a "resh" we've tried a bunch of different letters with the first name we have and there seems to be no problem. ONLY with a resh. Which is sad, cause the baby has a total name energy of a name that begins with a, you guessed it, resh! UG!!!

We thought about using it for a first name, but the truth is, it's not unique enough for us as a first name. But it's got the baby's energy all over it.

I suggested two middle names but dh is like "1 middle name is bizarre enough" and for a man raised as a secular Israeli, it totally is. I get that. To him, having a second middle name is like trying to emulate non-jewish culture. It's weird.

I've got another name...totally original, never heard it used as a name before. I came up with it when I was pg with my son. It wasn't the right energy for him but the name is stellar. I totally love it. (ps, all these names are unisex) BUT, I'm not sure that this is the right energy for htis baby either. And I'm not sure I want to waste it on a middle name. But, there is always the chance that if I don't use it, I won't be able to. So, right now, it's kind of a back up middle name.

Anyways, dh wants to find a "Lamed" name for the middle because it will do something really cool to the name. I'm not attached to this idea in any way, but it's something to think about. The other thing is that if we go with any of our top 3 choices then all of our children will have a lamed in their first name. Which is kind of weird...but maybe not.

Anyways, how's that for a puzzle?

#16 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM

I have no idea about the lice/mikvah....never thought about that before, although I imagine thate that if you you use the lice comb and get the nits out ...your'e good to go
btw, neem oil is the best long term treatment/prevention for lice....totally disrupts their reproductive cycle as in they cannot multiply....no more lice!!!!!
I have personally used it one year after spending the summer in Israel and besides dh an done ds everyone else had them....
I added neem oil to every shampoo and conditioner bottle in the house for a while after too. for ds who was the most infested we lathered his head with neem conditioner after a good combing and sent him to bed with it on, voila he was lice/nit free after. btw,neem is very safe and is even used on infants for excema etc;

I always laugh when I think of names.....I like unusuall or just more modern names and dh loves very traditional conservative ones.....some of my kids have names I never dreamed I'd name any child of mine....and yet these names are so perfectly suited to them and I absolutely love them now!!!!
Each time one of our kids were born we really felt that they help to choose the name and there names had such meaning for us at the time of their birth, like being born with the first sun rays shining through the blinds (Keren) or being the "ben zekunim" and acher and mwntioned in that weeks parsha etc; like Yosef it's really cool!!!

btw, Rivka, one of my ds had hives for 3 days about a month ago and the dr. said that it was a virus and it really disapeared as suddenly as it appeared...
after I had racked my brains to figure out what it was....
I have since found out that it is more common than not.
hope she is doing better.
btw, there are some really infornative threads here on mdc in the allergies forumm on opening up detox pathways, nutrition,supplements for helping allergies etc;
#17 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM

jul'riv, if you have to have a resh name LOL I've always loved the name Ra'aya.
#18 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM

no I CAN'T have a resh name!!! LOL! That's the only parameter. And Raiya is way too popular for me. Though, its a really lovely name.

#19 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Rivka- what else was in the applesauce? Was it sweetened with corn syrup, or did it have vitamin C added to it? Added vitamin C is often corn-derived as well. She may have a problem with corn, not apples.

Also, is it possible she ate something "non food" before she had the applesauce? Is she the type of kid to eat crayons or paper?
First, dh is allergic to apples - so it's totally not a shock. The applesauce had apples, water, and ascorbic acid (vit c). So, the hives went away after 2 days of around the clock benadryl including being up in the night - then a cranial-sacral treatment which she LOVED, and then when they reappeared after that, I did what our natural dr. recommended and they went away!

I did treat her for vit c - so if that was a problem - she should hopefully be good to go - I'll check her tomorrow at noon.

Baby names: I wouldn't name a child after his father unless I were Sephardi - I don't care if he goes by the name or not - it's like asking for trouble. JMO.
Unusual names that don't begin with resh. Hmm. WEll, one of my favorites that I'll never use because it would end up being mangled in my ashkenazi world is Itamar - I just think it's beautiful.
I like names that roll off the tongue like Shamaya - Ra'aya is really nice as well. Hodaya - also nice. Hmm, and these all rhyme. I'm such a bore sometimes... Ma'ayan is nice too.

Has a name come to you in a dream? a name that just seems to be chasing you? That happened to me with 2 of my kids and it happened to a friend of mine. For me, in the first dream I was standing over hte bassinette in the hospital looking down at my baby saying "Rashi Eliyahu, I guess I could get used to calling you that". The second was the name Ephraim which I insisted I would NOT use for any of my kids - and had 3 boys before Gedalya - but when i was expecting the twins that name would give me no peace. It followed me around every place, harrassed me, disturbed my sleep, made me ask sh'eila after sh'eila - until at last, I added it to his name that we were planning to give to him. My friend said that the name for her baby would not let her rest either - she saw it in pages in books, in her dreams, every place.

#20 of 69 Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 PM

Here's one update on my life:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1175322

#21 of 69 Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 PM

Totally love the name Ma'ayan.

How about Li'am? Or Eli'am?

Do we only want unisex names? I'm grooving on Hodaya, also Hillel. Other boys names I love -- Khalev, Ro'i (oops no Resh), Adiel -- which actually is unisex, I know boys and girls with that name. Azriel, Uriel (can add a's for girls), of course I'm partial to Gavriel(a) -- it's one of my kids' names.

Truthfully my son's name chased me around and it's a weird name. Or at least all the non-Israeli frum seem to think so (Ayden -- as in Gan Ayden -- Emanuel). Israelis don't blink an eye, I guess Ayden (spelled ayin-daled-nun) is not that uncommon and I did get it from the boys' section of the Kolatch book!

Tiferet (thanks Chava!) is another one of my favorite girls' names. Also, Margalit, Sigal, and other floral names (although Shoshana is pretty ubiquitous).

I think that's all I can come up with at the moment.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#22 of 69 Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Ooh, I like Tiferet and Margalit as well.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#23 of 69 Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM

OOoh, I found a neat site! http://www.learn-hebrew-names.com/

includes a lot more information than other general sites I've seen.

Also, I think we may have a name ....

#24 of 69 Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post

Has a name come to you in a dream? a name that just seems to be chasing you? That happened to me with 2 of my kids and it happened to a friend of mine. For me, in the first dream I was standing over hte bassinette in the hospital looking down at my baby saying "Rashi Eliyahu, I guess I could get used to calling you that". The second was the name Ephraim which I insisted I would NOT use for any of my kids - and had 3 boys before Gedalya - but when i was expecting the twins that name would give me no peace. It followed me around every place, harrassed me, disturbed my sleep, made me ask sh'eila after sh'eila - until at last, I added it to his name that we were planning to give to him. My friend said that the name for her baby would not let her rest either - she saw it in pages in books, in her dreams, every place.
OOOH, thank you. You just solidified the first name for me. Lol. It just keeps showing up EVERYWHERE (and it's NOT a name, lol, but I keep seeing it in other places). And I DID dream of the first name...earlier on I dreamt of the other two names we are considering. In the last dream with the new first name the middle name was there, but it was totally blurred so that I couldn't make it out. It was very long though. THere are two other names. I'm wondering if we don't need to use them both. But like I said, dh is totally opposed to the idea of having two middle names. Maybe we need to ask a shaila about this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
How about Li'am? Or Eli'am?
hehehe...we've got one of those (our ds) So I can honestly say that I love your name...but we've already used it. Keep 'em coming, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
OOoh, I found a neat site! http://www.learn-hebrew-names.com/

includes a lot more information than other general sites I've seen.

Also, I think we may have a name ....
I will try and check out the site later...but WOOT! You've got a name!!!! AWESOME!!! Now baby can be born!

#25 of 69 Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Yay, Alicia!

#26 of 69 Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 PM

If you're having all this trouble narrowing things down to one name, and DH is so totally opposed to the idea of extra middle names- is there any chance there's more than one baby in there?

I'm completely wiped out, and it's not even 10:00 AM yet!

Last night we had a hamster funeral, which meant traipsing through the snow in the back yard to the area DD2 cleared for the burial. Which meant finding my boots (I've been wearing sneakers when I go outside, since I've been staying on shoveled paths and my boots don't provide the arch support I need if I'm walking for any length of time.) So, I saw my boot under my desk and figured I'd just grab them and go. So I get the one boot out and can't find the other one. Then my right knee is hurting from the position I'm in, so I can't look for the mate. DD2 comes in and tries to find my other boot, with no luck. In the end, I wore DD1's old worn out boots from 2 years ago (or was it 3?) even though it was hard for me to walk in them (they fit fine, but they provided zero support.) I couldn't risk my one pair of sneakers getting wet and unwearable!

DD1 is going to a friend's house for a sleepover tonight, and she wanted to bring along some edible goodies- specifically Silk Soy Nog, Silk Pumpkin Spice, and Nutcracker Sweet tea bags. She wanted to go with me to the fancy grocery store (3 blocks from our house) to get them. I decided instead to go without her, so I could go to the store before it got crowded.

I drove DD2 to school (normally she walks but it's icy in the mornings) and then swung by the grocery store while I was already out. I can't beleive how crowded it was- at 8:30 AM it was already more crowded than it normally is on a weekday afternoon! But, I got what I needed- mostly "treat" type foods but also a few basics I forgot to buy earlier in the week, and now I shouldn't need to go shopping again before Shabbos (or maybe a quick trip on Friday morning for a few items.) I hate that I can't go food shopping on Thursday this week.

#27 of 69 Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM

More than one baby is certainly possible, though not likely. I'm measuring about 2 weeks ahead, which I have found weird, but basically my mw said it was just cause of belly fat. lol. I kind of found that annoying cause I'm actually a pretty small woman, but my belly has NEVER been "flat" or anything. Whatever, I let that one slide. My babies are SMALL. dd was 6lbs and ds was 5.5lbs and both were totally full-term. They also never lost weight. They came out nursing and basically just gained from day one, B"H. I was a tiny baby, so was dh, so were both of my parents and I assume his as well, based on build and all that, but can't confirm it.

At any rate, I was CERTAIN that we were having twins...but then started feeling like it was left over energy from the miscarried baby (2 months before I became pg with this one) and did have one ultrasound, which only showed 1 baby. But, who knows? I don't FEEL that there are two, though. I really feel that there is just one.

As for the name, I have no idea why this is happening. /shrug. It IS really weird. DH even suggested NOT having a middle name at all, but both of us feel that isn't right either. Baby is due not so long after TuBishvat so maybe we just need to be thinking of tree names or something, which we haven't so far, for a middle. That's my next plan...if I can find a good comprehensive list of tree names online somewhere. I'm not into Alon or Oren or any of these names that are so popular. I'd like to have a name of HaShem in it, as well, since both of my other kids have it in their first name and it seems that this baby won't.

Sorry about your hamster situation.

I'm trying to gear up for a big exam. I have to prove to a certified Hebrew teacher that I am at LEAST at a second year level of hebrew in speaking , reading and writing. I'm not so worried about the speaking...but the rest of it is gonna be hard. I think I can do it. But it will be very, very hard.

But I can't move forward with my plans unless I tackle this challenge. And failure is NOT an option. And passing before the baby is born is critical. Which gives me about a month and a half.

#28 of 69 Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Hello everyone,

I have not seen snow in years. I don't know if I can handle living in an area where it snows .
Last week we had some rain and hailstones, and I am still amazed at the change of weather.
Just now, it was 67 degrees in the house, and I find that cold so I just turned on the heat.

All of the names mention are beautiful. And the name that you mommy choose, will be the perfect name, B"H.

Ruth, Sorry about the hamsters.
I remember when my ds was younger, and when ds was at school, I would find his dead beta fish. I would quickly dispose of the fish, rush to the pet store and purchase another one, because I just did not have the heart to tell him that his fish was dead. I did that for a couple of years, until one day ds found the fish dead. We buried it, and I never brought another fish and he never asked. Because I realized that I am not a pet person, although I love animals.

I started my diet to lose the Chanukah pounds. And I want to drop these pounds before Purim, when I enjoy more delicious foods.
#29 of 69 Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM

How about Ilan? that's a nice tu b'shvat name, no?

#30 of 69 Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 AM

subbing

Wife to 1, Mom to 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page