Dark Energy, the String Theory, physics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Supposedly heaven is on a plane where there's no division, where the part of each of us that is pure exists togeather, creating "god" (acronym for "geneology of the divine"). *Supposedly there is a silver cord from the base of our skull that goes to our spirit body which resides in the "astral plane" and a silver cord that goes from our spirit into heaven, where we are all one. *Our conscious mind can travel up and down these cords unless a cord has been cut (?)
Also, supposedly, since the part of us that is god exists in heaven which is outside of time and space we have access to "memories" of events from the future, a memory is semi-time traveling in our minds- we should be able to "remember" the future as well.
**I've heard similar stories from a "caballistic priest", a few "pagans", and a "Druid". *I don't follow any of those three religions. *But I heard this same description again in a Quantum Physics video. *I've heard this description from these four various sources.
I'm really not sure what I believe, this is just the same story I've heard a few times in my life in a few different places.*
#2 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I posted this and was told it's called the string theory. *Which I then wiki'd. *Turns out it is in fact "the string theory".

I posted a quiestion about what then would be the opposite of "the string theory".

Someone just pm'd me that maybe what I'm looking for is secular humaninism, because "Knowing what you're against is great, but starting to realize what you're FOR is a much nicer feeling. *Secular Humanists are people who used to be Athiests until they realized that Athiests are against God...how can you be against something that doesnt exist? "
#3 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

And while Wiki'ing "the string theory" I happened across "dark energy" which are imaginary particles in physics which nobody has ever observed but which must exist in order for us to explain how some things just gain mass.

LoL it reminded me of a short-lived, very unpopular RPG I played as a teenager called "Changling the Dreaming" where the fairy folk used something called "glamour" it was non-descript dreamstuff that everything in life was made of and it was transmutable.

When I explained "transmutable imaginary physics particles" to dh it reminded him of reiki healing, where you put the general healing into a body and the body applies it to the affected part, it takes the energy and sends it where it needs to go.
#4 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
okay, i'm not an atheist, but i don't think it means "against god," but is rather more like "nontheist."

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#5 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The videos you're referencing sound interesting. Got any links?
#6 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm talking about several conversations about several different people over the span of my lifetime. The video I watched that time I don't know the name of it I saw it at my yoga teachers house. It was talking about parallel realities. Anyway I just found out what all these people were talking about is quantum physics.

While I don't remember the name of that one movie I just searched Youtube and came up with a name Michio Kaku. I just watched one, it's kind of the same thinking. Parallel dimensions. I googled it and got refered back to reiki. I think it's more of a word of mouth thing. My yoga teacher's moved and i've moved and we lost touch, so I can't ask her.

But yeah it is interesting.
#7 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

And the utube guy was over my head. I understand the ideas of parallel realities, multiverse, a god that is simply the nothingness that wasn't quite empty before the big bang, I could understand looking for that, but calling it a mathmatical equation, I just don't have the education for that.

Using symbolism to describe it I think I've got a good start at understanding quantum physics theory (especially since I didn't know that's really what I was studying). I'll keep looking, I've got a little extra time on my hands. If anyone else has heard of any of this I'm a little curious.
#8 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 PM

I was at a friends house and she made a reference to the string theory... I smiled and nodded but had no idea what she was talking about! So I am pretty interested

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#9 of 25 Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablame_today View Post
I posted a quiestion about what then would be the opposite of "the string theory".
Well, the other name for string theory is the Unifying Theory. It is the theory that unifies everything. If you think of our world of known 3 dimensions, and then add the fourth dimension of time, everything, everything is dualistic. Situations are both good and bad, are thoughts are both true and not true. For this theory to unify all that is dualistic, well...that really is something, isn't it?
If you had to point out something that explains reality in a different way, it would be Newtonian physics, ie, a rational view of the world. Like, what goes up must come down, etc. It is how most people still see the world.
#10 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You know, a lot of people taut quantum physics in a way that it comes off as a "spiritual science". What seems like a huge number of these people have no idea of the actual science and have extrapolated theories from small facts. Granted there are some super cool though experiments out there. It sounds like you would do yourself a favor to get at least basic college level text and try to understand. Saying you understand quantum theory without the math is like saying you understand how to spell hippopotamus without having ever seen letters. Frankly, it's kinda bizarre.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#11 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Hi Hablame. Since I'm the one who PM'd you, I thought I'd join your thread

I guess in the PM, I didn't word it that well. You said you were anti-christian. It's kind of the same as athiest (assuming you don't believe in other gods). The problem is that being both anti-christian and athiest say what you don't believe, but nothing about what you DO believe. What you (me too) are "nonthiest" can only be in comparison to thiests. I don't like that and I'm not alone.

It sounds like you may be looking for more than even secular humanism. Maybe Pagan??? There's a belief survey around here somewhere that can point you in some direction. Maybe beliefnet? I pm'd you because you seemed almost angry about it. I've been there, so I thought I'd point out a different direction you may not have considered or knew existed. Instead of saying "I disagree with that, and that, and that, you may find what you agree with and then it opens up new feelings

I've never heard of the String theory....very interesting.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#12 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
You know, a lot of people taut quantum physics in a way that it comes off as a "spiritual science". What seems like a huge number of these people have no idea of the actual science and have extrapolated theories from small facts. Granted there are some super cool though experiments out there. It sounds like you would do yourself a favor to get at least basic college level text and try to understand. Saying you understand quantum theory without the math is like saying you understand how to spell hippopotamus without having ever seen letters. Frankly, it's kinda bizarre.
I don't think anyone here is saying they completely understand quantum physics.

Do you have some understanding of quantum theory that makes you think it isn't "spiritual science" that you can share with us?

I admit that I find the concept completely fascinating but really don't have much of a grasp of it at all.
#13 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Well my education is several college courses in quantum mechanics + a literature type course where we read a whole pile of math and science writing that covered a bunch of quantum theory separate from the math behind it. I have a degree in math, not physics though.

All of that experience makes me know it is not a spiritual science - but I didn't come into the thread to be argumentative. Find your spirituality wherever you want - doesn't really matter if I think it is rational. I just think maybe you should read some more, start at the beginning, and not be afraid of the math if you really want to understand.

Some books that might help are:

Schrodenger's Kittens and the search for reality

Intro to quantum mechanics by. David Griffiths

#14 of 25 Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 PM

My dad is a physicist and sent me a DVD of the Nova special "An Elegant Universe." It is a really good way to understand string theory and parallel universes. :-) ( It blew my mind. Really, I think it's amazing)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#15 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

True dat
Lol.
I'm just enjoying contemplating the mysteries and imagining the possibilities. *Ya got me :-)
So where do you keep seeing people explaining quantum physics from a spiritual perspective? *And what kind of super cool experiments? *You know someting we don't know? *Do tell.

. *

Newtonian theory huh? *That's what dh said. *Well, not with the scientific name. *I said what would be the opposite of what I described (with the undivided energy outside of time and space that's made up of all of us). *Dh said the opposite is "if you can't see it, don't believe it."

Yeah that duality thing, I'm gonna have to think a while on that one. *Depending on the angle of the dangle eating the worm will have a whole different outcome.
#16 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 AM

I recently decided that I wanted to explore String Theory, and then forgot so I'm glad i found this thread!
#17 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
My dad is a physicist and sent me a DVD of the Nova special "An Elegant Universe." It is a really good way to understand string theory and parallel universes. :-) ( It blew my mind. Really, I think it's amazing)
Brian Greene is the author of the book that the NOVA special was based on. He's a great writer and pretty accessible. You might want to check out his books for more info.

I've got to agree that you shouldn't co-opt a scientific theory for your spirituality unless you have a pretty good understanding of that theory, from a scientific viewpoint. There are books out there that explain the science behind these theories without going into too much math.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#18 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 AM

This is on-topic yet tangential.

We live in the same neighborhood as a WorldClassScientificResearchInstitution where my DH used to be employed as a chemist. We also live in a religious section of town. While we know a lot of scientists of all stripes, I noticed that there are a particularly large number of religious (read: Orthodox Jewish) physicists.

We've been trying to figure out why such a seemingly statistically unusual number of religious Jews are pulled towards physics; or conversely, why there seem to be a number of physicists who are pulled toward religion.

Haven't figured it out. But this thread is an interesting side road on the way to figuring it out.

Hmmmm.
#19 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
We've been trying to figure out why such a seemingly statistically unusual number of religious Jews are pulled towards physics; or conversely, why there seem to be a number of physicists who are pulled toward religion.
My profs used to say when you study physics, you either come to know God or you go insane. This was a secular institution. There was an article some years ago about the scientists who were edging closer and closer to the big bang and learning what existed microseconds before it happened and they all became religious people.

I think most of your answer is tied up in electroweak symmetry breaking and the Higgs boson.

IMO, physics necessitates monotheism and a conscious God.

#20 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
Yes. My husband loves the book this was based on. We have read a bit of it together. I would suggest picking it up if you are curious. It is a brain bender but not impossible, IME.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#21 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 PM

One thing I would like to correct is your definition of dark energy. "I happened across "dark energy" which are imaginary particles in physics which nobody has ever observed but which must exist in order for us to explain how some things just gain mass."

Dark energy is absolutely NOT imaginary! Dark energy (which has been captured by Hubble) is the 'force' that is causing our universe to expand and explains the accelerated rate at which our universe is expanding. "Gaining mass" as you put it actually goes against a fundamental law that mass can be neither created nor destroyed. Dark matter is an explanation for the vast amount of 'space' in space. Both of these are hypotheses, but Dark energy is closer to becoming a theory due to the recent visual aspects of Hubble. Hubblesite.org is an amazing website.

Your original post about string theory doesn't make any sense to me. My understanding of string theory is that it is an extremely complex set of mathematical equations that describes (or attempts to) fundamental particles over several dimensions. I do not understand the "silver cord" you are referring to and there was nothing like that taught in my physics class.

Good luck with your self discovery.
#22 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM

Wow soooo interested. Really making my little brain work here, keep up this interesting conversation!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#23 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoting this webpage:
http://theophys.kth.se/tepp/research...imensions.html

Quote:
. The idea that spacetime could have more than four dimensions was first proposed by Theodore Kaluza (see Ref. 1) and Oskar Klein (see Ref. 2) at the beginning of the twentieth century. Higher-dimensional gauge theories are interesting for several reasons. In string theory, extra dimensions are required in order to cancel quantum anomalies. But even in an ordinary higher-dimensional quantum field theory context one can address several of the shortcomings of the Standard Model, for example, the gauge hierarchy problem (see Refs. 3 and 4), the smallness of neutrino masses (see Ref. 5), or the dark matter problem (see Ref. 6).

In order to have avoided detection so far, any extra dimensions have to be compact and small. Naively, the limits on the size of extra dimensions are small enough to rule out an observation of them in the forseeable future. However, in recent years, different models have been proposed that avoid these stringent constraints. These models could potentially be tested in high-energy experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, which is scheduled to become operative in 2009.

Large extra dimensions
Universal extra dimensions
Extra dimensions and deconstruction
Large extra dimensions

Large extra dimensions were first proposed by Arkani-Hamed, Dvali, and Dimopoulos (ADD) in 1998, their model being known as the ADD model (see Ref. 3). The novel feature of this model is the assumption that the Standard Model (SM) fields are confined to a so-called brane, which is a four-dimensional manifold residing in the full bulk spacetime. This brane is to be identified with ordinary four-dimensional spacetime. Since the SM fields are not allowed to probe the extra dimensions, experimental constraints on their size are avoided to a large extent. Gravity, on the other hand, carries no SM charges and is allowed to probe the extra dimensions. In principle, the assumption that gravity lives in a higher-dimensional spacetime leads to deviations from Newton's inverse-square law at short distances. However, because of its weakness relative to the SM forces, gravity has only been tested down to distances of the order of micrometers, and hence, the experimental constraints are still quite weak.
#24 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Justice2. I just googled "fundamental particles over several dimensions" because I thought it sounded neat. I quickly came up with the page I just quoted. In my op I said I heard that our bodies live on earth, our souls live in the astral plane (I can't figure out what that is either, maybe just outerspace?) and our spirits, or the truest essences, the purest parts, whatever.. of everyone of us is somewhere else right now just pass the edge of all the physical mass in space. Since that's beyond time and space there's no division there and "god" is just pure energy that fills up that whole place and is made up of us.
Gotta go. BBL. I like hearing new things.
#25 of 25 Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablame_today View Post
Justice2. I just googled "fundamental particles over several dimensions" because I thought it sounded neat. I quickly came up with the page I just quoted. In my op I said I heard that our bodies live on earth, our souls live in the astral plane (I can't figure out what that is either, maybe just outerspace?) and our spirits, or the truest essences, the purest parts, whatever.. of everyone of us is somewhere else right now just pass the edge of all the physical mass in space. Since that's beyond time and space there's no division there and "god" is just pure energy that fills up that whole place and is made up of us.
Gotta go. BBL. I like hearing new things.
Hablame that is cool. I like it. The part about our spirits being beyond space and time made me think of our consciousness and where it goes when we dream. I believe that where ever our consciousness goes when we are asleep, into another world, means that it is able to exist beyond space and time in order to be able to travel so and show us the things it does through dreams. But when we are conscious, where is it? How is our body aware and able to feel/register sensations, experience emotions? The brain is a physical thing, the CNS is a physical thing. Consciousness that allows us to think about and make sense of what we feel or see or experience isn't a physical thing. I think about that and wonder where does consciousness live?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page