Muslim Mamas 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 227 Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
assalamu alaykum. wanted to share a small pleasure: someone at the masjid surprised me with a gift of al-Muhaddithat: the women scholars in Islam (on my wish list a while now). with the international news wearing me down, and job/$-related stress, i am grateful for this very personal reminder of how generous people can be to one another.

an even bigger pleasure at the masjid: this week i had kisses and salaams from a half dozen grandmothers who did not even know me. for someone new to the religion, with no muslim family, this made me feel so good, i can hardly explain or put it into words. not speaking arabic, i often feel a bit at a loss. these ladies, alhamdulillah, made me feel at home.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#62 of 227 Old 03-15-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you've found a community you click with.
#63 of 227 Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

As-salamu 'alaikom~

So, we're leaving for Egypt on Saturday. It's complicated but I'm really not looking forward to going, and without meaning to be a total pessimist I do not anticipate it being an enjoyable trip at all. Were it not for a boatload of family obligations I'd definitely stay home, or would at least leave the kids with my parents instead of hauling them along.

I'm not usually a "pray for me!" person, but if y'all could pray that my expectations are at least somewhat exceeded, that would be awesome.
#64 of 227 Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 AM

I totally know where you are coming from. Trips to Syria are suck-fests for me too. Will do on the prayer request.
#65 of 227 Old 03-15-2010, 06:51 PM

While I am not happy for your anticipated difficulties, it is reassuring to know that others have similar challenges. We're planning a trip for the final few days of Ramadan and after, and while I want very much to get back to the country and have the experience, there's just so much yuck involved. It's hard to be joyful about it. I'll keep you in mine, Liquesce.

Please pray for the American Ummah and the Ummah at large while you're traveling. We need the prayers of a traveler.
#66 of 227 Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Salaam!

It seems so few of us are into attachment-parenting, wearing slings, co-sleeping, heck even breastfeeding (especially breastfeeding in public).

Anyway, after reading a letter in the most recent edition of Mothering Mag, "Headscarves Welcome", I thought I'd see if any of us are online here!

Are you there sisters, and what are you up to these days?

I have a 4 month old DD....

28 - DD 11/3/09 (planned homebirth)
:
#67 of 227 Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Wasalaam mama

Yes, where are all the muslim mamas into AP? Would love to meet you all! Thanks for starting this thread

I have a DD who is 4 months as well. We bedshare/cosleep (whatever you want to call it), babywear, breastfeed, etc.

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#68 of 227 Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM

there is already a thread in spirituality so I will move it there and merge them together.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#69 of 227 Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Liquesce,you will be in my dua. Inshallah,it will excede your expectations.

For the newcomers to this thread,I'm an AP mama to 6. Inshallah #7 will be here in October.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#70 of 227 Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
there is already a thread in spirituality so I will move it there and merge them together.
oh wow, i did a search but didnt find this. how cool that there is already a gathering.

salaam sisters

:
#71 of 227 Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post

For the newcomers to this thread,I'm an AP mama to 6. Inshallah #7 will be here in October.
WOW sister, masha'Allah, how do you handle 6!! and now 7!! I can barely handle the 1 I have, im not really sure i can handle more kids....

:
#72 of 227 Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Assalamu Alaikum Liquesce:

I'll definitely make du'a for you for your trip. Insha'Allah, you'll have a great time.

Assalamu Alaikum to all the new Moms on the list
I'm a Mom to three.... soon to be four....Insha'Allah. DS1-6, DS2-4, DD1-2. We coslept and breastfed each of them until they were about 2 years old alhamdullilah.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#73 of 227 Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Well I am going to try some Ap, Slinging and Bf, by Dh nixed the idea of CS, he said it was safety but I think it's more of mommy and daddy time, oh and sleep,it's one thing if mommy doesn't sleep but if the mr doesn't sleep its a crime, lol he's in for a rude awakening, in a a week or so, I'm due in exactly one week so nervous, sadly I am not in brooklyn but I do go as often as i can, I'm in queens, near steinway so I'm sure I can find someone to do it, although i dislike going near there all those hookah places ucky. but it's good i can get anything I need from somewhere near by.

A little late but thought I'de put my 2 cents in.

On a more serious note, can we please refrain from the term wahhabi ( imagine if people started referring contstantly to shia's as Rafidi, even more so Considering Al- Wahhab is a name of Allah(Subhana Wa Tala)) it's offensive and most people are seriously just trying to do what they feel is the best way to stick to the straight path, and in my personal experience when some people are telling you something is wrong they aren't tryng to be mean and pushy but rather if you see something that is wrong and say nothing you take bad deeds as well, and they love you enough to tell you,I think we should all remember that. Remember if you have the right intentions and come up with the wrong conclusion you get a reward, and if you have the right intentions and come up with the right conclusion you get two. Personally from my reading I believe it's an innovation, others don't, you are still my Sisters in Islam as I am yours. Ok steps off of soapbox of understanding one another.
#74 of 227 Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 PM

I'll be going to Steinway to The Foundation of Knowledge for my Arabic. My hubby goes now and it's very good.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#75 of 227 Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM

@ Khadijah12345
mobarak! I wish you a beautiful birth.
we cs and my husband never is awakened by us, especially since my baby doesnt have to cry from far away to tell me she wants to nurse. she just nudges me a little and i side lay nurse her and fall asleep.

@ umsami masha'Allah, and mobarak to u as well!

:
#76 of 227 Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 PM

I am actually happy when people call me a wahabi. It shows I am of the ahl us sunnah wa al jamaah, and it shows that I am upon the Haqq. Alhamdulillah. And it give me their ajr too

Mother of three little muslims!
#77 of 227 Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Salaam Mamas,
My DS will be 2 next month Inshallah. Still bf'ing and cs'ing. I wore him up until about 5 months ago. He's still small enough for it, but he just likes to walk everywhere. Alhamdullilah I have a very supportive husband who helps me with DS, alot!! They're best buds.

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
#78 of 227 Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM

Assalamu Alaikum Mamas:

OK, I suppose this goes in the Decluttering forum... but it's religious oriented... so.....

For those of you who wear hijab, how many do you own? Do you ever declutter your scarves??? I must have well over 100 scarves, probably 90 of which I barely ever wear.... so I'm thinking of donating a bunch to the Goodwill (but maybe I should check with my local masjid first).

Do you have any rules to keep the scarf clutter under control? Like only 1 per color... .or 3 per color...or whatever???

Help!!

#79 of 227 Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 PM

I have oh, lets say around 100 hijabs myself. And I promissed my husband that for each one new I buy, I give away two that I did not use for a while.

I have only few models that are suitable for work, so I end up using those most of the time, and then the rest are for masjid or special ocations.

I have some favourites, that I never part with lol no matter what, but I still think I could give away much more.

We have a box in our masjid, where we leave our hijabs (my idea) and take those we like from others. Now people started dropping clothes in that box too lol and books, but thats fine by me hehe....

Mother of three little muslims!
#80 of 227 Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM

One of our local mosques has a hand-me-down closet like Nabbe describes. All sorts of things to share, and some of them are really, really nice. I've typically given hand-me-downs directly to sisters who need them, bringing them by their houses.

I've heard of a great need among needy families with teens here. They particularly like Al-Amira style scarves.
#81 of 227 Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabbe View Post
We have a box in our masjid, where we leave our hijabs (my idea) and take those we like from others. Now people started dropping clothes in that box too lol and books, but thats fine by me hehe....
Oh that's a great idea Nabbe. I'm going to ask the masjid President if I can put a box in the Sister's Lounge/bathroom.

ljooj... That's neat. I wonder if they'd be willing to put in a clothing rack too. I have a few abayas and galabayas that I can't see myself wearing again. I'd love to give them directly to a Sister rather than just hoping some Muslimah finds them at the Goodwill. Actually, a lot of my hijabs are Al-Amirahs... so if they say no to my idea, I'd be glad to mail them to you to donate.

#82 of 227 Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM

I love your generous spirit! And I seriously doubt the president will refuse.
#83 of 227 Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Yeah I don't think the Imam should have a problem with it, and it sounds like a good idea. Still here still pregnant and now 41 weeks. I've just started hiding from people because everyone keeps asking when, when, when. And I keep thinking it's not my schedule here folks. This is helping me to work on my patience thats for sure.
#84 of 227 Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

As-salamu 'alaikom~

Since I said somewhere up-thread or in the old thread that I haven't personally heard any good travelling while Muslim stories lately, I would just like to report that for my family this time around it was completely hassle free. Even with carrying way more luggage than could realistically be justified by the length of our trip.

Also? The clothes horse in me is jealous of those of you who have amassed hundreds of scarves.
#85 of 227 Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
As-salamu 'alaikom~

Since I said somewhere up-thread or in the old thread that I haven't personally heard any good travelling while Muslim stories lately, I would just like to report that for my family this time around it was completely hassle free. Even with carrying way more luggage than could realistically be justified by the length of our trip.

Also? The clothes horse in me is jealous of those of you who have amassed hundreds of scarves.
I'm very glad to hear your trip went better than expected. I hope that your time with family was enjoyable.

as for scarves, the change of season provides me an excuse to browse. I began regularly attending masjid just this winter, and am realizing that most of my appropriate clothes are much to warm for spring. now I am working on the challenge of pulling summer-weight clothes out of thin air....and not spending my skirt $ on scarves.

#86 of 227 Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM

i thought some of you might be interested in this book:

"In her new book, entitled Visibly Muslim: Fashion, Politics, Faith, Emma Tarlo captures the diversity in the way that Islam is practiced against the backdrop of multicultural Britain. Refreshingly, the book did not aim to answer whether or not covering was a part of Islam, and neither did it represent the views of Muslim women as a monolithic body."

rest of the review may be read here

#87 of 227 Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 PM

assalamu alaykum ladies,
soon i will be attending my first aqiqah. i am wondering what is customary (if it is even possible to generalize) as a gift. wanting to follow etiquette. i figured i would ask here, in case i am not at the masjid before the date arrives.

thank you.

#88 of 227 Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wa 'alaikom as-salam~

I'm not sure there really are traditional gifts (?), or if there are they may be more culture specific than faith wide. (? again though.) Perhaps something for the baby? For my own son's I'm pretty sure most people just brought food or nothing at all, and (no commentary on her, just on the circumstances) I didn't really pay much attention to my daughter's.
#89 of 227 Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
assalamu alaykum ladies,
soon i will be attending my first aqiqah. i am wondering what is customary (if it is even possible to generalize) as a gift. wanting to follow etiquette. i figured i would ask here, in case i am not at the masjid before the date arrives.

thank you.
Wa'alaikum Assalam:

At the aqiqahs I've gone to, the good friends of my husband and myself tend to give gifts... usually an outfit or something. Other people ask to make du'a for the baby and for us as parents. I don't know what's typical, though.

Your presence is definitely enough, though.

#90 of 227 Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 AM

For the alqiqahs I had for my children most people didn't bring anything. Of the people who did bring a gift, it was almost always clothes for the baby and/or a card. My husband did receive some cash from some people which Arabs tend to give for weddings and sometimes the birth of a baby apparently, but I doubt that would be at all expected of you. I just thought I would throw that in there for extra information.

Me personally, I would probably bring a simple gift for the baby (toy, clothes, blanket) or nothing at all. Both would probably be perfectly acceptable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page