January Pagan Circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if I am going to be able to catch up with the 120ish posts before this one, but wanted to say I'm here.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#122 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Good morning mamas. Happy Monday

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#123 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhorn View Post
okay, hopefully I'll be keeping up on here well enough to know when it's open again.
I don't recognize you. Did you change your username? (feel free to pm me if you don't want to put it on this thread.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#124 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

I love recipes that evolve over time.

I made a tomato based soup which used what I had on hand-
Karen's Tomato Soup
1 bag frozen onion, green pepper and tomato
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans (I gave up on dried, never were soft enough for me)
1/2 can creamed corn
frozen Fake chicken (what I had left of a bag)
Noodles (pre-cooked, cause they were left over)
Bay Leaf
Basil
---I cooked the frozen stuff with the tomato sauce, basil and bay leaf for about 35 minutes, until everything was cooked through
Right before eating, I added the creamed corn and noodles and beans
and simmered for 20 minutes.
It was very tastey- the creamed corn gave it a slightly creamy texture

Mary- yours sounds so good. maybe I will make that thursday

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#125 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Cooking - we never have the same thing twice, even if it comes out of the box because I always do something a little different. It's FUN, and I keep meaning to look up uses for our favorite cooking herbs.

Blessings - great blessings, I've been writing a bunch down! Speaking of cooking and blessings, is there anything special you say when you're cooking? I usually try to cook with a positive MIND, but if I had something to think that would be cool too.

It's 9:50, and I wanna go back to bed instead of getting ready to clean. That's ok, I have more coffee to drink first. On Thursday this week I go back to the dentist for exams, x-rays and impressions. Woo. Next Tuesday ds and I are going to get our eyes checked, and I'll probably have to go to the pdoc too. I need to call them lol.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#126 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Also, thanks for the wonderful yule cards. They are still coming and I plan to leave them up until Imbolc when thoughts start to turn towards spring.
Yes, that! I still have a couple that I haven't opened, because I have this huge pile of mail that's part of my procrastination pile One word for me this year might be TIMELY. I am such a huge procrastinator. HUGE. I have mail that's piled up from weeks ago
What a wonderful idea to keep the cards up till Imbolc, though. Imbolc here always gets overshadowed by DS's birthday, which is January 31. This year, I have clinicals on Saturday for half the semester so his birthday and Imbolc are both going to have an uber-tired mama in charge
Thankfully, he just wants two kids for an overnight, for his birthday this year. Pizza, cake, ice cream, popcorn, movies ~wipes brow~

I need to get off my lazy arse and get a shower, and get going with my long list of chores for the day. Starting with that dang mail.

Have a great day, mamas! Check in with ya later!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#127 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Oh, here http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Ring-D...2609937&sr=8-2 is the ring I'm totally in love with-- and it's only $99!!

ETA: How do you put a link in, and just have a word underlined like "here" or "this" and have that BE the link?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#128 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM

SQUEEEEE!!!! What a sweet ring!

(highlight a word, click on the "insert link" icon... the world with a chain... and when the box pops up paste the link you want into the box. The highlighted word will be the link.)

We had a surprise cleaning splurge yesterday. DH pulled everything out of the kitchen area, we took down the tree, we organized. Things feel much lighter!

Question- 4yo dd1 is feeling very left out these days and she's acting out on it. Not screaming fits (ok, some screaming ), but she is wetting the bed, bouncing off walls, getting very clingy of the babe if anyone notices him (like at church yesterday he was in the ergo, if anyone commented on him dd1 instantly ran over/grabbed my leg/started patting and kissing Tor and blocking him from view), etc. Tor has a lot of actual need for touch/attention since he is a 24/7 nursling and only 4.5mo and Ro is a wild ball of special needs and very good at getting attention. And dd1 is getting left out since I only have so much energy! Any ideas? I feel so bad for her and, well, changing her jammies 2-3 times a night EVERY night is more than I can handle and stay chipper.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#129 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Oh Clay, I love that! I need to do the same to my kitchen, but mostly so we can get the dead dishwasher OUT and install a new cabinet flooring. Which I don't wanna do.

And dh is worried about how we're going to clean up our bedroom. I am too, considering his work hours, we can't just spread it all over. We are cramped for space, so we don't have a extra room that we can stash stuff in. He doesn't want to buy anymore storage bins. I don't blame him, we have a ton of them, and we need to get rid of stuff in some of them. Maybe we'll do that first...ugh.

4 yo - can you put her in a diaper at night? Or is it waking her up when she wets? When Kate was born Jack was also 4, and I remember doing a lot of nursing and games. This is when we got started with the 'play with me' issue and imaginative play. I find it rather difficult to nurse a 2 month old and imagine!!! So we bought games like Candy Land, and Chutes and Ladders, and I would get comfortable, latch Kate on, and then we'd set up and play a few rounds. Memory, Go Fish, puzzles, etc. All kinds of great things. And she can sit right next to you and kinda cuddle in if you're careful about your chosen nursing position and location. I found the floor and a boppy in my lap worked best.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#130 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Clay- When does pre-school start back up?I know another distraction and a place where their sibling wasn't, was helpful to both of my kids during the time when the babe was in the constant eating totally attached to momma stage. Also some alone time, will Tor let dh hold him for even half an hour? Half an hour seemed like an eternity- we could do a simple craft, spend time chatting etc. And sometimes, just letting them know that Momma needs her big girl to help out can help with the transition. I tried to balance the need for me wanting a big girl helper and the fact that she was still my baby too. *hugs*

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#131 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I'm the same way... I love to PLAY in the kitchen I have a couple of recipes that were good when I first made them according to the instructions.. but after tweaking they are SPECTACULAR!
but i never write down the tweaks that worked, so i end up starting anew next time. i've started a list on the fridge of the "favorite dishes" so maybe that will help.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#132 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
Blessings - great blessings, I've been writing a bunch down! Speaking of cooking and blessings, is there anything special you say when you're cooking? I usually try to cook with a positive MIND, but if I had something to think that would be cool too.
me too. i started reading the little blessing out of "Jambalaya" (of course, i don't remember it off the top of my head) - an excerpt was in Cooking Like a Goddess and I wanted to see the whole thing.

i also noticed that i ALWAYS stir counterclockwise. is that a bad thing to do? stirring clockwise just feels so unnatural.

#133 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 02:38 PM

clay - no thoughts here, just observed commiseration. my sister is expecting her 3rd in July (sticky thoughts for her - she's still nervous about sticking power). over the break, we were altogether at my parents' house and we noticed some crabby behavior from the eldest (my 6yo niece) once in a while when my sis and her dh were paying too much attention simultaneously to my 3yo nephew.

#134 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
I always cook with intention I put different things, vibes, ideas in each meal depending on what I see is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Oh, here http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Ring-D...2609937&sr=8-2 is the ring I'm totally in love with-- and it's only $99!!

ETA: How do you put a link in, and just have a word underlined like "here" or "this" and have that BE the link?
Love the ring Love emeralds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Question- 4yo dd1 is feeling very left out these days and she's acting out on it. Not screaming fits (ok, some screaming ), but she is wetting the bed, bouncing off walls, getting very clingy of the babe if anyone notices him (like at church yesterday he was in the ergo, if anyone commented on him dd1 instantly ran over/grabbed my leg/started patting and kissing Tor and blocking him from view), etc. Tor has a lot of actual need for touch/attention since he is a 24/7 nursling and only 4.5mo and Ro is a wild ball of special needs and very good at getting attention. And dd1 is getting left out since I only have so much energy! Any ideas? I feel so bad for her and, well, changing her jammies 2-3 times a night EVERY night is more than I can handle and stay chipper.
The only thing I can think of which might be difficult in your situation, is some alone, special time just for her. I always tried to give each of mine a bit of there own time. Even if it was just a drive to the store, I still have a DD that goes to the store with me A video, a game? Just you and her time. Bedtime story or just talk It doesn't have to be a long time, just her time. Maybe during the other little ones nap time? If it doesn't help I hope it gives you some ideas>

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#135 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM

....aaaand my car is dead.

#136 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:

That's a beautiful ring! I love gemstones.

Today is a pretty packed day. I'm making more headscarves for the fall after coming up with a pattern to knit with my knifty knitter. Right now I'm making a hat for dd.

Dd had a nightmare last night and I stayed up until 5am sitting with her. I'm very tired, but I have WAY too much to do today.

Hope all is having a good day.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#137 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
SQUEEEEE!!!! What a sweet ring!

(highlight a word, click on the "insert link" icon... the world with a chain... and when the box pops up paste the link you want into the box. The highlighted word will be the link.)
OK, I'm going to try it.
here

ETA: It worked, it worked! Thank you, Clay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i also noticed that i ALWAYS stir counterclockwise. is that a bad thing to do? stirring clockwise just feels so unnatural.
OK-- I sometimes do that, too, and when I catch myself, I just decide I'm banishing things

#138 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Maia- so beautiful!

#139 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I sometimes do that, too, and when I catch myself, I just decide I'm banishing things
like banishing the calories or carbs out of the stuff i'm cooking?

#140 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
OH NO!!!! Oh man!!! So not what you needed

If I think about it I usually stir counter clockwise..but I put that off to being right handed? I don't always, I usually stir counter clockwise a couple times and then clockwise a couple, it just depends on what I'm stirring and if it needs mixing or just a quick stir.

#141 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM

dok- yoicks! Apparently the universe did NOT want you on the road today.

unschoolin- how do you like the nifty knitter? I haven't been able to knit for a while because little fingers undo things faster than I can finish them. The knifty looks faster? Is it worth the price?

dd1 ideas- thanks! I "do" her shower each night and we have some "girl time" (nail polish, hair braiding) but I think I need to sell it a bit more. Preschool starts up againg this week and I agree that should help. I'll try the board games again... recently dd2 wants to do whatever dd1 does but she doesn't have the knack of board games... so I need my hands free. DH can take Tor between nursings and I tuck in/bedtime story both girls together but I'm going to have to build in more 1 on 1 ideas.

money- we just got a pile of bills from our dr's office. For some reason they ran an audit of the past 5 years and cummulative we owe more than 100 dollars between the five of us in random small amounts that weren't covered by insurance. It's not a huge amount, but it's more than we have on hand so it's a problem. sigh. We were very conservative with the holiday season but still, these unexpected medical things are not good. I had hoped to continue seeing our beloved family practice drs and just going to the mainstream practice for serious medical work but I'm going to have to cancel Tor's wbv at our happy dr because we can't absorb another 300 dollar hit this month. Guess we're going back to the generic practice. They weren't bad, but they don't know us and the whole vibe was very clinical. I hate the US medical system.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#142 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 PM

hey all! happy new year. hope you're all doing well.... hugs and vibes for any who are not. we're at the beginning of our new adventure and settling into it as we can.... ds and i built a forest fairy house today and i thought of you all.
#143 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:

unschoolin- how do you like the nifty knitter? I haven't been able to knit for a while because little fingers undo things faster than I can finish them. The knifty looks faster? Is it worth the price?

I do like it, but I still prefer using two needle knitting for the challenge of it. It IS worth the money cause you can make tons of stuff. My kids love doing it too and it's very easy for them.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#144 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
Maia- so beautiful!
Isn't it, though? Now I just need to talk M into it Not that he doesn't want to get me something-- he does. It's just that money's been such an issue. I told him you can't beat $99 with a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
like banishing the calories or carbs out of the stuff i'm cooking?
No, silly! Wouldn't that be fun if it would work? I meant-- well, I was kind of cheating. If I find myself stirring widdershins, I find things to banish to rationalize the direction I was accidentally stirring Like negativity, usually.

DS starts school tomorrow-- I have a WHOLE DAY to myself! AND he has martial arts in the afternoon. Which means, I can go to the scratch'n'dent grocery store and Goodwill while he's there YAY!

Aweyn!!! HI!!!! Yay, welcome back! I hope you come around more often, sistah

#145 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Zoiks. I thought I was caught up on reading your posts - but back behind again. DS went back to school/daycare today. He sat with me for about 2 minutes while I was unpacking his stuff for the day then ran off to play. He had about an 8 second "b/c you're supposed to cry" cry when I left. DD has been having gas issues and screams whenever I put her down - so I had all these big plans for the day and have accomplished about none. I did decide to go to a great used bookstore after I dropped off DS though, that was nice.

Question for you lovelies. I need to rearrange my bedroom to move furniture away from the baseboard heaters. DH is roasting at night with the bed pushed up against one - but I'm cold b/c the heater is blocked. The free floor space is approximately 10' by 10' (there is also a the 3x10' space but it is bounded by the door (one wall), a window (opposite wall) and our closets. We have a queen size bed & 2 dressers. I basically want to turn the bed 90 degrees so it either faces the window or the door. One dresser will need to be up at the head of the bed. If I set the bed facing the window - I can watch the sunrise over the mtns in bed (might be`less than ideal though in summer when it rises at 4 am). However, I wont be able to see the hallway or ds's room. Think that would be a problem?

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#146 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm sooo happy now. I have my veggie burgers and coleslaw now! I also made a chili mayo sauce! YUM!

#147 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 PM

liza--that sounds lovely. what a view that must be. And in the summer, you could probably just have heavier curtains to draw back when it's a more appropriate time in the day. As long as you can hear what goes on in the hallway or in your ds's room, I think that should be okay.

dok--great about the guy, sucks about the car. you know, I do live sorta close to you (for now--what about that apt you were looking at?) I might be able to help you out from time to time. Would you want to meet up at some point?

Come ponder with me about food!
#148 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

dok--great about the guy, sucks about the car. you know, I do live sorta close to you (for now--what about that apt you were looking at?) I might be able to help you out from time to time. Would you want to meet up at some point?
I'd love to meet up. I don't share my address (or potential address) to people online. I've learned the hard way not to do that. Sorry.
But I would love to get together once my car is fixed. We can meet at Barnes & Noble or something.

#149 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Maia, gorgeous ring! I don't know if you were ever a royal follower (I loved Princess Diana ) but HER engagement ring was a big old sapphire that was gorgeous... much more character than a diamond if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Alas poor *insert car model here* I knew him well. Damn.. that's just crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
hey all! happy new year. hope you're all doing well.... hugs and vibes for any who are not. we're at the beginning of our new adventure and settling into it as we can.... ds and i built a forest fairy house today and i thought of you all.
Hope it has been an exciting adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View Post
I do like it, but I still prefer using two needle knitting for the challenge of it. It IS worth the money cause you can make tons of stuff. My kids love doing it too and it's very easy for them.
I missed something about knitting I see... I so totally need to really try it again this winter. I adore hand knitted stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Zoiks. I thought I was caught up on reading your posts - but back behind again.
Mwhahahaaaaaaaaa!

Quote:
If I set the bed facing the window - I can watch the sunrise over the mtns in bed (might be`less than ideal though in summer when it rises at 4 am). However, I wont be able to see the hallway or ds's room. Think that would be a problem?
For me it would not be a problem to not be able to see the kids room, because so much as a peep out of them wakes me up! Feng shui says you should be able to see the door easily from your bed, but not have your feet facing straight out the door (which is called the coffin position) but you also shouldn't have a window above/behind your headboard, so it sounds like your spot facing the window is really the best. One of the suggestions for this, in the feng shui book I am reading, is to hang a mirror on the wall that will enable you to see the reflection of the door from your bed

I'm still gimpy today mamas. I know when the pain started, and what I was doing at the moment (I stepped oddly to the side with one leg, but it felt like my body didn't follow my hip if that makes sense?) but for some reason I have a big bruise going around my hip! It's about 1 inch wide and over a foot long all total (it's a line, that fades to a dotted line) It's really freaky and I can't go to my doc as I have zero money for my share... so if I get it looked at I'll have to go to the ER. A friend suggested maybe I hyperextended the joint, pulling the ball slightly out of the socket and now all the tendons are (*&%#$ but I have no clue. I do however have a lot of ibuprofen.. which seems to be doing squat

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#150 of 892 Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

For me it would not be a problem to not be able to see the kids room, because so much as a peep out of them wakes me up! Feng shui says you should be able to see the door easily from your bed, but not have your feet facing straight out the door (which is called the coffin position) but you also shouldn't have a window above/behind your headboard, so it sounds like your spot facing the window is really the best. One of the suggestions for this, in the feng shui book I am reading, is to hang a mirror on the wall that will enable you to see the reflection of the door from your bed

I'm still gimpy today mamas. I know when the pain started, and what I was doing at the moment (I stepped oddly to the side with one leg, but it felt like my body didn't follow my hip if that makes sense?) but for some reason I have a big bruise going around my hip! It's about 1 inch wide and over a foot long all total (it's a line, that fades to a dotted line) It's really freaky and I can't go to my doc as I have zero money for my share... so if I get it looked at I'll have to go to the ER. A friend suggested maybe I hyperextended the joint, pulling the ball slightly out of the socket and now all the tendons are (*&%#$ but I have no clue. I do however have a lot of ibuprofen.. which seems to be doing squat
Ouch! I hate waking up with some kind of bruise or injury and not quite remembering how it happened. Do you have cayenne pepper? It can be made into a paste by mixing some water and then placing it on a cloth, you can put it on the sore spot. The chemical enzyme in cayenne pepper is equal to what is found in arthritis pain cream.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page