Welcome to Shvat, Jewish Mamas :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see one started...so I started a new thread...

I love it when Tu Bshvat falls out on Shabbos Parshas Beshalach. Any special things you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
npl

I try to remember that it's also tu b'shvat, not just shabbos, and buy some special fruit for shabbos dessert!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM

I do a nice yummy sweet fruity cholent and maybe this year I'll stuff a rice/bread pudding with fruit, too. DH might make some fruity bread.

Weird thought: this time 2 years ago, I was in Israel and pregnant with DS.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
I didn't see one started...so I started a new thread...

I love it when Tu Bshvat falls out on Shabbos Parshas Beshalach. Any special things you do?
Yep. I'll be giving birth B"H!!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM

I just saw on Facebook that Faliciagayle (Alicia) just had a little boy! Here is her status message:

Quote:
Baby was born at home after a fast 4 hour (hypnobabies) labor - 12:10 am Jan 18. 41 weeks + 6 days - just like his big sister! 8 lbs 14 oz, 20.75 inches long, black hair, wise face. Smells like heaven. Soft as velvet. Check back for name in about 8 days
I know many of you were keeping an eye on her.

Mazel tov, Alicia!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Mazal tov!

For us Tu B'shvat is undercelebrated - with dh allergic to fruit and now Tehila I don't think we'll be doing anything much. On the plus side Tehila can still have peaches, pinneapple, and citrus. No more smoothies I always make them with bananas and apples.

If I can have a bragging moment... here is my ds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acU_dEOxT3c

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM

I was wondering why I didn't see a thread for Sh'vat.

Rivka-I'm quite impressed.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 AM

Mazel Tov alicia!

wow, that is very impressive.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
npl

Mazal Tov!
Love the klezmer violin - another reminder to get mine out, but it's so hard with dh in aveilus and working from home. I know he loves to listen to me play, and it just seems wrong to do so while he's around. If he keeps at it, he should have a really rewarding creative outlet, and I can definitely see him making money from it if he wants to!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mazel Tov!!!

smais, how do you make a fruity cholent? (I'm not a cholent fan, but maybe a variation in the regular would entice me Truth is we probably won't be home for that Shabbos but we'll see...)
Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 PM

mazel tov alicia!!!!

rivka, beautiful!!! love that niggun too.

my dd will be 17 on yud shvat special babies these shvat babies!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
npl

Yeah to the special shvat babies - my youngest had his Hebrew birthday yesterday! And dh has his birthday in Shvat, too.
Actually, everyone but me has a birthday in a month with a chag - one kid is born at the end of Chanuka, another on Tzom Gedaliah (so we think of it as Rosh Hashana time, not wrt the fast!). Me, I'm at the beginning of Tammuz, when we are gearing up for the 3 weeks!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
smais, how do you make a fruity cholent? (I'm not a cholent fan, but maybe a variation in the regular would entice me Truth is we probably won't be home for that Shabbos but we'll see...)
I like mine with stew meat, rice or potatoes, and whatever fruit and nuts I'll have on hand. I've made it with great success with cranberries, raisins, prunes, apples, apricots - anything that will hold up in the crock pot. I also like pineapples, but DH says it's weird. A friend of mine from Iraq often pairs beef with fruit, so I got the idea from her, actually.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I like mine with stew meat, rice or potatoes, and whatever fruit and nuts I'll have on hand. I've made it with great success with cranberries, raisins, prunes, apples, apricots - anything that will hold up in the crock pot. I also like pineapples, but DH says it's weird. A friend of mine from Iraq often pairs beef with fruit, so I got the idea from her, actually.
Yeah. Sefardi food is like that -- Persian, Moroccan, etc...I've seen lots of those types of dishes.

I actually have made a "meat tzimmes" before with meat, carrots, sweet potatoes, onion, raisins, prunes, etc
So it's probably similar...
Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
npl

My grandmother's Hungarian tzimmes recipe was meat with carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes!
When I tell my mother I made tzimmes, but that it is just carrots with sweetener and seasonings, she thinks it's glazed carrots, not tzimmes!

I'll probably make sure that we have a kugel with fruit in it - either fresh apples or raisins/cranberries, etc.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM

B"H

Hello everyone! Long time no see. I thought I'd post this as it may be relevant to you and each vote can make a huge difference...thanks for caring.

The Friendship Circle of Michigan is the only Jewish Charity to be chosen as a top 100 charity in the nationwide Chase Community Giving Challenge. Vote for Friendship Circle and show the world the importance of advocating for individuals with special needs.

The Friendship Circle is currently in the top 5 which guarantees it a $100,000 prize. With your vote we will move to number ONE!

There are only 3 days left, please vote and pass this email along.

Help thousands of children with special needs win $1 million. Vote for Friendship Circle at http://www.chabad.org/voteFC
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 PM

thanks ladies!! it was amazing. he's amazing!!

here's our story: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post14960132

at the mw apt yesterday she asked dd where the baby came from and dd answered "haShem"

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM

I've never actually done anything on Tu B'Shvat. They didn't teach us anything about it in school and up until recently, I wasn't interested in anything "green". This year I am pretty excited about it though. I'm doing some reading on it and want to start a tradition in my family to do a Tu B'Shvat seder (we're going to my parents for shabbas this week, so we'll have to start that tradition next year, but I'm starting to do research now). Have any good resources for a Tu B'shvat seder?

Also, imnottelling, you have 613 posts!

Wife[Corey.Jul07] Mother[Asher.Dec08] ClothDiapering[Dec09]
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
thanks ladies!! it was amazing. he's amazing!!

here's our story: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post14960132

at the mw apt yesterday she asked dd where the baby came from and dd answered "haShem"
Congrats!

When DS2 was born, DS1 said "Aren't we so lucky G-d sent us J? I thanked G-d for him." The little ones- they get it .
Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 AM

We're having a pot luck lunch on SHabbat of Tu b'Shvat.

At first I thought about doing an actual seder but I haven't been able to find a 'haggadah' that didn't sound... weird to me.

So we decided to incorporate the various fruits and nuts into the dishes themselves. I have a wonderful turkey breast recipe that calls for assorted dried fruits and almonds, we'll have peach cobbler for dessert, etc.

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 AM

I don't know that we'll do anything. I'm working, and well, I've just been really exhausted and not up to planning anything.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM

We don't do anything for Tu B'shvat - I figure my kids will probably get something in school (esp. since I'm the one who ordered it for one school and will personally deliver it)... Dh and Tehila are allergic to fruit

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 PM

We do a seder for Tu B'Shvat. It's actually a very stress-free seder. Just get a lot of different fruits and nuts (I think the minimum number ... from where I don't know, so don't ask ... is 15, but we get 18) and four different types of grape juice (dark, rose ... or however you'd spell "rozay" without the accent mark ... white, and then we'll add just a touch of the dark to some white grape juice to make a fourth) , and there ya' go.

Editing the post to correct the following paragraph.

The name of the book we have from Yitzhak Buxbaum is A Tu BShvat Seder: The Feast of Fruits from the Tree of Life. That's the one we read from and play with for our seder. Am kind of appalled to see the price at the Amazon link, though ... it's a little paperback, less than a hundred pages, and we bought our copy at a Judaica store ages ago for, what, 15 dollars or some such.

He has a sweet book A Person is Like a Tree,. Sweet stuff. (From a sweet guy. And he also has a book about the Ba'al Shem Tov that's just outrageously delightful.) It is, however, almost 300 pages. It apparently costs less at Amazon than the little seder book, which strikes me as odd, but maybe the seder one is out-of-print or some such.

Anyway, the Aish.com site has a condensed seder taken from Yitzhak's paperback here.

Keeping in mind that it's not in any way a halakhic thing, so it's all just ... suggestions.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm also not sure what to do about Tu B'Shvat. A few years ago, my daughters came home from school with a printout of a Tu B'Shvat seder that we used several years in a row. Now I can't find it. There's nothing in the siddur about Tu B'Shvat, and I just don't get a good feeling about the ones I found online. I want to do SOMETHING to acknowledge the holiday, but I also don't want to do anything that feels awkward or weird, especially since we're having company this Shabbos.

A 14yo from a non-observant family (that we've known for years, and I'm friends with the mom and went to high school with the dad) is staying over Friday night, but leaving early Saturday morning, and I think that another girl (13yo, non-observant family but she herself is trying to be shomer shabbos) might be staying over as well.

Including fruits in the dishes themselves sounds like a good idea. That might just be easier- do normal Shabbos kiddush and hamotzi, then eat lots of foods with fruits and talk about how it's Tu B'Shvat and point out the fruity dishes during the meal, and not do any special seder.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM

we are having shabbos dinner at our shul and dh is doing most of the cooking (ssshhh he already asked me to come help him out tonightLOL) so lot's of dishes with fruits in them, chicken with prunes, rice with,raisins and almonds, spinnach leaf salad with strawberries and mango's , etc; etc;

My kids are also making (now as Iam on mdc) little feeders for the birds in honor of shabbos shira very easy, take a bagel and stick it with seeds and buckweat, take string or ribbon and thread through the middle of the bagel and hang from a tree or whatever.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 PM

Shabbat shalom.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 PM

I didn't think this deserved it's own thread, but I had to get it out.

They won't let me use the mikvah, and I'm crushed.

I used to observe THM in my previous marriage, and then I didn't for many years. After my miscarriage, I wanted to immerse, so I contacted my local mikvah. Before I could go there, though, we had to go to L.A. for my mother-in-law's funeral, so I used the mikvah there. The lady there was so friendly, and welcoming, and warm. I felt wonderful to be back in the mikvah. I washed off all the pain and anxiety I'd been carrying, with my miscarriage and my MIL's death, and I felt whole again.

I wanted to start going to the mikvah again on a monthly basis. My husband and I have an unusual marriage (he travels a LOT) so we didn't want to do the full 12 days every month, but we decided we could handle the first week. So when time came around again, with a couple days' advance notice, I contacted the local mikvah again and said I wanted to immerse.

Well, it was weird. The lady there had me meet her at noon, and then she kind of interviewed me for awhile, and then she gave me a tour of the preschool and introduced me to her entire family one by one. It was VERY awkward. She said I couldn't immerse that day but she'd get back to me. Well, almost two months went by, and today out of nowhere she contacted me again and said she and her husband would like to have us over for Shabbos, and there are women's classes at her shul, and oh by the way they think I should "consider taking on another mitzvah" and not use the mikvah because my husband isn't Jewish.

I am so sad over this. I feel rejected and robbed of a mitzvah that brought a lot of beauty and meaning into my life in the past, and which I hoped would bring more in the future. I had hoped that it would help us conceive. I feel shoved out of the Jewish community before I even had a chance to come back in.

That's the only mikvah in town, too, and I don't know a safe place to immerse outdoors, especially while it's still this cold out. So I guess I just don't get that mitzvah in my life anymore. This makes me so sad and I guess I just wanted to share it with some other Jews.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 AM

kelilah: I am sorry. What an ordeal.

Without knowing too much about where you are the only thing I can think of is that this particular mikvah is exclusive and not for public use. Does your town have a small very religious population? When I was looking for a mikvah before my wedding, I was turned away from one operated by Ultra Orthodox Jews. The mikvah lady hung up on me - twice.

The last place I lived I drove 2 hours on a monthly basis to use the mikvah. But I know our city had a small, very exclusive Ultra Orthodox population and I doubt their women were driving 2 hours or more to immerse....

Are you willing to drive?

IME/IMO the attendant shouldn't be asking personal questions, nor should she be scheduling an interview. Perhaps an Orthodox mama can shed some more light... I'm sorry your experience was less than pleasant, to say the least.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 AM

I'm orthodox and have gone to mikvahs in two different states. Never once have I been questioned. I'm quite shocked that a mikvah lady would do something like that. I've met mean mikvah ladies, but they never turned me away... made me wish I had never gone to their mikvah though. Sorry this happened to you.

Wife[Corey.Jul07] Mother[Asher.Dec08] ClothDiapering[Dec09]
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 AM

Yeah, I've gotten clique-ishness from some Orthodox congregations (and people) before - neither my ex nor my husband is Jewish, I'm blonde, my name isn't Jewish - but the one place that's always been welcome, no matter where I've been in my travels, was Chabad. I spent many years traveling over this country and Australia, and Chabad was always there with a smile. The last time I immersed, in L.A., it was at a Chabad mikvah and they were as warm and welcoming as always. So I'm doubly wounded by the fact that it was a Chabad facility doing this now.

I dunno, maybe there are other mikvaot here in town and I just don't know about them. The nearest other one I'm aware of is four hours away and I can't afford to drive eight hours to use the mikvah every month, especially since I'd have to stay overnight because I can't drive very late at night. So without this one here in town, I just don't get to do the mitzvah. Maybe it's not technically a mitzvah for me, since my husband isn't Jewish, but it brought me closer to G-d and I really needed that.

I also keep feeling like maybe this is why we haven't been able to conceive since the miscarriage. Maybe I'm just being rejected completely. Maybe we'll never have children because of our intermarriage or because I can't immerse. I know that's ridiculous, but I can't help the nagging what-if.

Thanks, Falicia and Jessica, for the hug and support.

User Tag List